Indonesian Aero News

Ananda

The Bunker Group

It's obvious already, with Prabowo and Austin interview during Austin's last visit, that Indonesia already in the final decision phase for F-15EX procurement. Decision in Indonesia on yes or no getting on the package. It is also shown even in latest Indodefence, that LM still lobby in the corner for F-16V.

However I put this his tweet this time, clearly tweeter guy shown some 'glee' that his US competitors now still has to fight for 'piece of pie' while the product he is representing more or less already more secure. Seems he's baiting other US sales 'agent' especially in LM. If Boeing win, you will be out as there'll be no more fund available for you even for upgrade project to block 'V' on existing inventory.

Anyway just put this as shown the battle between 'sales agent' are seems geeting to climax conclusions.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I put this also in here, talk more on the option for 4 more A400M. There's rumours that if the option for 4 A400M taken, then practically the plan for 4 A330 MRTT being switch to A400M.

Personally there's merit to switch to A400M from MRTT considering Indonesian AF most likely operational environment. Minus sidesbis obvious as MRTT can work with both Probe-Drouge system and Boom system. While A400M can only work on Probe-Drouge. However A400M can work with most TNI-AU AB types while MRTT limited to A class and some B class AB.

I do hope they are staying on MRTT, but understandable if they choose the option toward A400M.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indeed, most of TNI-AU AB will not be able to support full benefits of MRTT. Different with ramp door A400M which in practice similar in operation as C-130. Moreover TNI-AU will still operating more Probe-Drouge compatible fighters for some time then boom ones.

A400M and C-130H/J will be more suitable for sometime in future then MRTT or KC-46. Yes there are those seems keen to have Large Turbo Fan Tankers, but even by stretching the budget, choice will be either MRTT or more A400M.

They do better also lobbying UK for potential ex RAF C-130J, to augment the 5 new ones and make one full sq.

Sandhi Yudha

There are plans from the Philippines Airforce to order additional NC-212i from PT DI, probably in 2023 since the budget has been included and it needs their current USec to be formally appointed as their Defense Sec to get the paper work signed off.

Would PT DI have problems this time?

I hope and expect there will be no delivery problems this time. If im not wrong at the time of the order of the first two NC212i, it was because of the certification for the new cockpit instruments and new autopilot systen (which are the main differences compared to the C212-400).

|"It was proposed in 2018 to procure an additional 6 aircraft to replace the 5 remaining N-22B/C Nomad light aircraft still operated by the PAF in the light lift role."|
Something TNI-AL also should do.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I believe NC212i and CN235 line practically operasional wise manageable by DI. Problem by DI is opening new line or add capacity on existing line. This is why Goverment inject new capital to support opening line for N219, and MinDef now practically going to build line for IFX from their budget, and transfer it (free of costs) to DI.

DI problem is they can not accumulate more capital for new project. They are only 'just' manage operating existing line, on set capacity. If they are being ask to do more job then their existing set capacity, then they are going to have difficulties on fullfilling the order.

The new injection capital asside for N219 line, also to increase their existing set capacity.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Despite many different opinion I have with Tweeter Guy. As defense sales man, he has more informations on MinDef procurement. I put his tweet today, because on this one I also agreed. As I have point out also before, with the amount of budget need to allocate for F-15EX, means something else must give.

So either one of other arms project being sacrifices, or TNI-AU must sacrifices other project of their own. Personally I think it is better to scarp F-15EX, and get E7 and/or P8. TNI-AU need better ISTAR and AEW assets then F-15EX.

They can add say another 12 Rafale or get 24 F-16V plus doing upgrade for existing F-1652id to V standard. It's still provide some budget left for AEW assets. Better on fleet planning and operational budget. But what do I know, just amateurs defense enthusiasts.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Ceremony of acceptance on two VIP business jet Falcon 7x and 8x for TNI-AU 17th Sq (VIP Sq). Seems they (MinDef) decide to shown this to the public, as it is already being talk on public domain for some time.

Both Falcon will be use for MinDef and TNI officials. However 17th sq also known to use their planes for other government VIP functions. Shown this's also can be use on cabinet level function. Considering the 17th sq now only operating few 737 including one 737 BBJ for President/Vice President level, those two falcons seems going to replace F-28 that used to be operated by that Sq.

Unlike previous TNI-AU VIP assets procurement that become problematic (AW101), this seems been done more properly, avoiding negative scrutiny later on.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
believe NC212i and CN235 line practically operasional wise manageable by DI.

From DI FB pages. This's the 4th delivery of present 9 contract of NC212i for TNI-AU. Those 4 being send out in this last 2 years. Thus indicating at least their NC-212i production line capacity capable to deliver 2 annually in average. This means their production line can workout up to 4 airframes simultaneously.

DI problem more on availability of their working capital (on existing capacity). As mentioned before they don't have capabilities on present financial condition to accumulate enough spares capital. Thus they have to work on cash flow from orders payment.

Thus their production log seems depends on how the cash flow terms payment. In short you pay faster, you can get your order faster. This's typically situation facing by manufacturer with limited working capital base.

This is what I meant on their existing line more or less manageable. In sense their existing line operational, but with limited working capital means it need up front cash flow payment to operate. They don't have enough working capital spares to workout capacity upfront (unlike bigger aircraft manufacturer).

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From MinDef official sites. Basically the two 7x and 8x that come, are intererim planes that Dasault provide for familirisation of the types. The first batch of Rafale contract is actually not only for 6 Rafale, but also for 2 brand new Falcon 8x. Whole 1st batch contract from previous media communications value at USD 1.1 bio.

MinDef article also again reiterate after 6 Rafale of 1st batch, the other 36 follow on are in budgetary preparation. Previous info in media shown that 36 follow on procurement will also dividen on two budgetary batches.

Sandhi Yudha

Ceremony of acceptance on two VIP business jet Falcon 7x and 8x for TNI-AU 17th Sq (VIP Sq). Seems they (MinDef) decide to shown this to the public, as it is already being talk on public domain for some time.

Both Falcon will be use for MinDef and TNI officials. However 17th sq also known to use their planes for other government VIP functions. Shown this's also can be use on cabinet level function. Considering the 17th sq now only operating few 737 including one 737 BBJ for President/Vice President level, those two falcons seems going to replace F-28 that used to be operated by that Sq.

Unlike previous TNI-AU VIP assets procurement that become problematic (AW101), this seems been done more properly, avoiding negative scrutiny later on.
Sadly like most Indonesian news reports, they show only talking officials and other people.
In this video we can see more aircraft.

In this video (recorded with a handphone) the expert team of CNN tells us some interesting facts.
1. The price of this Falcon 7X is as much as a lux sedan : $50.250!
2. It has a range of 17.000 km, which is more than the maximum range of the 777-200LR, A350-1000 or even the A340-500! (In fact Falcon 7X's range is around 11.000 km)

Sandhi Yudha

The "our politicians are worse than yours" contest is quite common here at Defencetalk, but the "our journalists are worse than yours" variant is something new....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Blame it on social media, an old journalist that I know complaining the qualities of present millenials journalism as speed news rather then collaborate sources. Old school editors are dying away.

In one side present internet ecosystems provide tons of more collaborate sources for check and re-check (if you want to do it), then just one or two decade ago. On the other hand the needs for speed out news products ahead on amateur tweets, make many millenias journos create slacking re-check mentality.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
MinDef spokeman admitted in Media that 12 Qatar Mirage 2K are the ones they are going to pursue as interim fighters. This the plan until they can get all Rafale operational. However at this stage it is still under negotiation and not a done deal yet.

This tweet seems raise many questions on Indonesian defense enthusiasts blogs and forums. This raise questions whether interim fighters program will still going to move. MoF and Bapenas (basically finance guys) already agree to set asside financing packages for Interim Fighters. If this info on this tweet true, then seems Dasault lobby for that budget to be used for additional Rafale instead.

The budget for this interim fighters talk around USD 700+ mio. Perhaps Dasault think that budget better be use for additional 6 Rafale at least. They can offer some Rafale from current French inventory as interim fighters. Better the money goes to French sides rather Qatari sides. Business is Business afterall. I do believe Dasault can still find other takers for those ex Qatari Mirage 2K. Some other customers that will not coincide with Rafale marketing drive. It is still in good conditions with enough spares and armament packages to be use for a decade more.

On the other hand, LM lobby also can scoop in to add 12-16 ex USAF F-16 to augment existing F-16 fleet. For one thing if this interim fighters program continues, seems it is still up for grab.

Sandhi Yudha

This tweet seems raise many questions on Indonesian defense enthusiasts blogs and forums. This raise questions whether interim fighters program will still going to move. MoF and Bapenas (basically finance guys) already agree to set asside financing packages for Interim Fighters. If this info on this tweet true, then seems Dasault lobby for that budget to be used for additional Rafale instead.

The budget for this interim fighters talk around USD 700+ mio. Perhaps Dasault think that budget better be use for additional 6 Rafale at least. They can offer some Rafale from current French inventory as interim fighters. Better the money goes to French sides rather Qatari sides. Business is Business afterall. I do believe Dasault can still find other takers for those ex Qatari Mirage 2K. Some other customers that will not coincide with Rafale marketing drive. It is still in good conditions with enough spares and armament packages to be use for a decade more.

On the other hand, LM lobby also can scoop in to add 12-16 ex USAF F-16 to augment existing F-16 fleet. For one thing if this interim fighters program continues, seems it is still up for grab.
Lets see if this Tweet is misinformation or true, the amount of ordered Rafales is already incorrect, 36 instead of 42. Who is this Alan Warnes btw?

But yes...
1. Its actually quite sure that countries like India or Taiwan are willing to add 12 late variant Mirage 2000s to their fleet.
2. I also hope Indonesia will order a squadron of F-16Vs to fill in the SkU.14 gap and and not spend $14 billion on 36 F-15EXs.
3. If Indonesia adds those 6 Rafales on top of the 42 ordered--> 48 pieces is enough for 3 full squadrons.

Last edited: