Indonesian Aero News

DNAz

According to DAPA (so the official Korean line), there has not been any large change in the KF-X/IF-X agreement (although they may be bending the facts/lying by omission).

Indonesia is still paying for 20% of the development costs, as agreed. However, it has been negotiated that 30% of Indonesia's share will be paid with goods in a barter transaction (Specific terms and conditions, what goods will be given to Korea, are to be negotiated later).

This is what the Korean officials want to 'sell' to the public, so it will be interesting to see what the Indonesian side will say about the deal/any concessions.

Source: 보도자료(상세조회) | 방위사업청

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I see you're already post this news also. I just also just put it on KFX Thread. Yes, bit interesting the Indonesian side (media and officials) are bit silence on this.

Like a saying says; 'The devil in details'. This deals if it's confirmed from Indonesian side still provide some Political problems. What's the 30% trade payment will be, will the next administration still commit, and will further Investment needed, will be done in future.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
During the last days of Trump administration, Indonesian Minister of Everything (Nick name for Luhut) meet with Trump. During his meeting, Trump administration agree in principle to supply Indonesia with Advance UAV system.

This article confirm the UAV system being discussed is MQ-1C. As predicted, Democrats is more concern with Human right track record then Republican. However from what I gather the US concern (even reading between the lines on this article), is more on how Indonesia can be securely lock on to safe guarding US sensitive advance defense tech.

Because contrary to some defense enthusiasts and online sources in Indonesia thinking, the attraction of MQ-1C/US MALE UAV for Indonesia not in the UCAV capabilities. Indonesia already have Chinese CH-4 for that, and indigenous Black Eagle MALE UAV already design for that too. UCAV capabilities can used missile from China, Turkey or something that now also being prepared indigenously.

No, the attraction for MQ-1C is the advance electronics payloads package especially in CEASAR categories. The ability for surveillance and jamming capabilities is what main attraction for this UAV from Indonesian MinDef. It's part of Jokowi's administration thinking of fleet of UAV controlling Indonesian EEZ and Sea Lines toward advance electronics environment.

That's the thing that Chinese CH-4 or Indigenous Black Eagle will still lack. Despite the rumours that China also offer electronics packages for CH-4.

I understand why US still worries with day to day Indonesian defense operation tech security. The reality Indonesia defense still open tech operation with China and Russia, clearly need more reassurance from Indonesia side how they can be 'monitored and controlled' by US in safe guarding US tech.

Sandhi Yudha

During the last days of Trump administration, Indonesian Minister of Everything (Nick name for Luhut) meet with Trump. During his meeting, Trump administration agree in principle to supply Indonesia with Advance UAV system.

This article confirm the UAV system being discussed is MQ-1C. As predicted, Democrats is more concern with Human right track record then Republican. However from what I gather the US concern (even reading between the lines on this article), is more on how Indonesia can be securely lock on to safe guarding US sensitive advance defense tech.

Because contrary to some defense enthusiasts and online sources in Indonesia thinking, the attraction of MQ-1C/US MALE UAV for Indonesia not in the UCAV capabilities. Indonesia already have Chinese CH-4 for that, and indigenous Black Eagle MALE UAV already design for that too. UCAV capabilities can used missile from China, Turkey or something that now also being prepared indigenously.

No, the attraction for MQ-1C is the advance electronics payloads package especially in CEASAR categories. The ability for surveillance and jamming capabilities is what main attraction for this UAV from Indonesian MinDef. It's part of Jokowi's administration thinking of fleet of UAV controlling Indonesian EEZ and Sea Lines toward advance electronics environment.

That's the thing that Chinese CH-4 or Indigenous Black Eagle will still lack. Despite the rumours that China also offer electronics packages for CH-4.

I understand why US still worries with day to day Indonesian defense operation tech security. The reality Indonesia defense still open tech operation with China and Russia, clearly need more reassurance from Indonesia side how they can be 'monitored and controlled' by US in safe guarding US tech.
1. To hesitate to sell MQ-1C UCAVs to Indonesia because of human rights is a little bit hypocrite, than the US shouldn't export their advanced defence equipment to Middle-East countries like Israel, Saudi-Arabia and Qatar.
2. Hesitation because Indonesia also buys defence equipment from America's enemies (China and Russia), is also weird. India and many Middle-East countries also import from those two countries.

But it is understandable that the US fears that the sensitive equipment on board the MQ-1C will fall into the hands of the chinese. What if during patrols above North Natuna Sea some of those things crashland into the sea and get captured by the chinese navy or coastguard?

|"As Washington shifts its focus from the Middle East to the Indo-Pacific region, Indonesia has emerged as a strategic ally in the competition with China. The sale of armed drones with significant surveillance capabilities would help build that military relationship and potentially head off Indonesian purchases of similar drones from China, Russia or Turkey, all of which produce advanced unmanned aircraft."|

That is a strong point to allow the MQ-1C to be exported to Indonesia.
Anyway, if the US refused to sell the MQ-1C to Indonesia, because of reason 1 and 2, then they shouldn't sell the F-16V, F-15EX or any other advanced defence equipment to Indonesia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Anyway, if the US refused to sell the MQ-1C to Indonesia, because of reason 1 and 2, then they shouldn't sell the F-16V, F-15EX or any other advanced defence equipment to Indonesia.
Politics in US domestics is also big factor. We got Apache and more Upgrade/Refurbished F-16 due to Obama's. Trump has no problem in agreeing selling advance defense equipment to Indonesia.

However as I have mentioned before that when I see whose Biden taking as his VP, I'm bit worried as Kamala come from more liberal faction in Democrats that more negative on Indonesian Human Rights and Enviroment track records. Perhaps this is one of the reason why Biden never send her to Indonesia ;).

Anyway, US already offer F-16V. However F-15EX is another matter, it is the assets that being put as combo for front line USAF. I have to agree with Twitter guy on this matter, when he put in his tweets few weeks back. The matter on how US can be comfortable on safe guarding their tech and how Indonesia can be sure to comfortably support US tech is the thing that more matter now.

The Apache maintenance continue support by Boeing team. Thus eventough Boeing team already let TNI-AD team doing more maintenance, they are still on hand on the tech access. So I do see now what has to be settle is on how far US vendors can continue have access on the assets tech eventough it's already in Indonesian hand.

That kind of thing in my opinion will be part of how far the life time sustainment contracts will be with the vendors. In one hand it will provide the users with more ready assets sustainment, on the other hand provide control on the Assets tech control. It will be more costly on contract base, but politically Indonesian 'nationalists' faction also has to agree on some kind of US control on the assets.

This is why Indonesian brass always want to have diversification on the assets.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Seems the talk of USD 1.2 bio that MoF preparing for TNI-AU fighters program, for this term. Actually reflecting the equivalent amount of RMP (Pure Rupiah Companion) fund to set on how much max foreign credit line that MoF willing to give for Fighters program. This I have to admit I gather from 'finance' people snippets.

RMP basically is own fund being allocated for to set how much financial risk appetite that MoF willing to take on any foreign credit line schemes. So far most of Government credit line that being taken by current MoF has LTV (loan to value) of 80%. Means of total financing facilities will consist of 20% RMP and 80% foreign credit lines.

So based on their current practice, if MoF set RMP on fighters procurement at USD 1.2 bio IDR equivalent, then means max credit line willing to be taken is USD 4.8 bio. Can the LTV higher then 80% ? Well it can and depends on how far the financing costs and tenure technical calculation. However I doubt the MoF on this term willing to go higher then 80%, considering current Global Economics condition that still in recuperating mode until the end of current administration term in 2024.

The Twitter guy as Frenchie sales agent, seems showing off the potential deals with French. Perhaps he's been ahead of the wind from other sales team, after Jokowi's and Macron meeting in G20.

I put his tweet in here, just as reminder. Whatever the choice will be, there's limit that MoF willing to take on credit line. Thus if the cost of Rafale deals goes through, and it take +/- USD 6 bio (as he put in his tweet before), then it means Rafale takes all Fighters program for this term.

It can also put doubt on how MinDef will get more fund for KFX program continuation. It even can also potentially put doubt on other upgrade program toward Hawk 200 or ex USAF F-16 that's being rumours will be taken this term. If they go with Rafale, then it's practically the only fighter program for future will be. As it will taken practically all available resources.

Don't get me wrong, Rafale is good fighter. However we know Frenchie stuff it's also very expensive. It also means that present administration practically told TNI-AU that their plan on having 11 Sq will have to be shift for next Administration to think off.

This's why I always looking on money trails, rather then any defense planning being circulate by 'Analyst' or so call Defense Industry insiders. There's limit on how far the Indonesian resources can be set this term against any TNI own postures studies.

Personally I still hope they go with F-16V and FA-50 combo. As that's still the best choices to get TNI-AU ideal forces of 11 Fighters squadron. But then again in Indonesia, Political interest will always been the final say.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is instagram from MinDef Defense Potentials (Kemhan Pothan) DG. I ussualy not want to put Instagram from some officials, unless it's the instagram or online pages from the institutions. However this General is senior officers that handle potentials procurements deals.

Note: Change the Instagram with Twitter from one of Indonesian defense enthusiasts (seems competitors from Twitter guy).

This time around shown him and his teams in Dubai Air Show and touring A400M. It could mean anything. However last time he's on defense show, he shown pictures of him holding FREMM model. Not long after that, there's announcement from Fincantieri of FREMM deals.

Based on my understanding his Directorate handle initials defense procurement deals. After that there will be another Directorate that handle deals finalisation and assets production. Well, I could be wrong as I'm no defense insiders. However that's my understanding.

If A400M being choose, than it's in my opinion more on Political choices, as the users (TNI-AU) not shown their transport preference on this type. On other hand TNI-AU do already got their transport preference deal with C-130J. Perhaps 50:50 deals (Users vs Political Preferences) is already good enough.

Add: Seems the General already take out the A400M pictures of him and his team visit at Dubai Airshow. Replace it with video on Rafale demo's in the Airshow.

Perhaps he thinks that pictures will create too much speculations. Seems after many media speculations in 2020 and early this year, MinDef opted on silence mode.

http://instagr.am/p/CWVijP1hsaS/

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Congrats to Airbus. Shown their lobby is still powerfull within Indonesian bureacracy. The order come from MinDef and not SOE Ministry as previous plan. Shown it will be used by TNI-AU.

Like I said the users got their preference (C-130J), the Political interest also got their choices. Multirole tankers config with 2+4 options deal. Well then it's the question if MRTT still going to play. Let's how Airbus lobby going to work.

Airbus PRESS (@AirbusPRESS) Tweeted:
Indonesia Ministry of Defence orders two Airbus #A400M.
Read the Press release: Indonesia Ministry of Defence orders two Airbus A400Ms | Airbus https://t.co/4o8RoiwxoZ
Again, I'm not that against A400M, however if this order come in the expense of MRTT or more C-130J, well that's what I'm regreting.

The Twitter Guy told there'll be a signing on Dubai Airshow, but he's betting on Rafale. So far it's turn out differently. If no Rafale deals, means big potential the US cut Frenchie again. If that happen, well not a good day for Frenchie sales agent like him.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Thank you for sharing.
At last after years of hesitations and negotiations, they have decided.

But as you already said, is the available budget enough for 5 C-130J-30, 2 A400M and some A330MRTTs? The weak point of the A400M is that it cant refuel the F-16s, if TNI-AU wants to do that, than they also have to order the A330 MRTT, unless they are alreqdy satisfied with refueling only the Hawks and Sukhois.

Maybe there will be no money left over to order the 36 Rafales or some other jetfighters.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
A400M comes fitted for AAR as standard. All it needs is the optional tanker kit: underwing pods and/or a fuselage hose drum, & optional cargo hold tanks, plus cameras for the crew to watch if wished. It's supposed to be reconfigurable in hours.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
My concern with TNI always with operational budget. Blame it on my conversation with some Pertamina execs. They open to us, as they have to shown the Banks where their overdue receivables coming from. This's actually open information to the market. From there I can see annually TNI, and some other SOE like PLN and Garuda always has problem with overdue payment. The SOE's more related to business cycles, however for TNI more on availability on sustainable operational budget.

Questions always will be, can the budgets will be enough to maintain more expensive assets ? TNI-AU always prefer C-130 family due to their familiarity on maintaining and supporting them. Also the idea for A400M mostly related to Airbus and DI lobbies. Not on what's best for TNI-AU sustainment.

This deal more to support DI, that's why before the thinking was to procured using SOE's budget and not Defense budget. However no transportation SOE's want to finance A400M, thus they tossed it around, until MinDef seems finally agree to put it on their financing line. Is this worth it for just getting DI's more independent line on CN-235 Production?

Perhaps because I'm not part of people that see Government need to finance more on DI until they can prove themselves as profitable SOE. They're now is not proven yet on N219 marketability. Why provide more support to them, including this deals with Airbus on A400M?

Well that's enough of my ranting. Again is not the A400M that I'm complaining. However with TNI-AU budget operational sustainment to support them effectively. If somehow they (MinDef) still going to procured MRTT (again due to Airbus lobby), this just add continuous problem of numerous type with small numbers conundrum that always inflict TNI operation for decades. This means no changes on Strategic thinking by people in Political circles.

Just add Indonesian MinDef announcement:

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
My concern with TNI always with operational budget. Blame it on my conversation with some Pertamina execs. They open to us, as they have to shown the Banks where their overdue receivables coming from. This's actually open information to the market. From there I can see annually TNI, and some other SOE like PLN and Garuda always has problem with overdue payment. The SOE's more related to business cycles, however for TNI more on availability on sustainable operational budget.

Questions always will be, can the budgets will be enough to maintain more expensive assets ? TNI-AU always prefer C-130 family due to their familiarity on maintaining and supporting them. Also the idea for A400M mostly related to Airbus and DI lobbies. Not on what's best for TNI-AU sustainment.

This deal more to support DI, that's why before the thinking was to procured using SOE's budget and not Defense budget. However no transportation SOE's want to finance A400M, thus they tossed it around, until MinDef seems finally agree to put it on their financing line. Is this worth it for just getting DI's more independent line on CN-235 Production?
Not sure if I should congratulate the TNI AU for the A400M order or commiserate with them — due to operational budget concerns. While it is true that Indonesia will gain capability with the A400M (multirole tanker & transport configuration) order, IMO the minimum order of a transport aircraft type should be 4 — to enable TNI AU pilots to retain flight currency should the aircraft type be concurrently down for maintenance and a bird strike should occur on the second aircraft.

Indonesia will be the 3rd in Asia to operate the the Airbus A400M airlifter – after Malaysia and Kazakhstan.

This A400M order is not an unexpected development. But I can assure you that the Indonesian army is pleased that they have a new tool to reinforce the islands under threat and these are really useful for HADR missions.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
can assure you that the Indonesian army is pleased that they have a new tool to reinforce the islands under threat and these are really useful for HADR missions.
Transport Airplane always got priority first. This's already TNI-AU plan with the 3rd C-130 sq. The plan is for at least 10 C-130J, to complement around 20+ C-130H. The Strategic Transport should be with MRTT double as Transport.

My concern more if they (MinDef) also still planning on having MRTT on top this A400M, which (according to publicly available TNI-AU studies) not in TNI-AU plan. It can still happen due to Airbus lobby. I'm just hoping if they choose A400M, then stop there.

Having MRTT on top of A400M and C-130 family, in theoritical operating budget condition (based on their historical allocation), can also still manageable. On the condition they go with F-16 family as MRCA or FA-50 as LCA. However the 'rumours' that still circulating up now, talking on Rafale, F-15EX or even Euro Typhoon (again Airbus lobby factor).

This is what's still a trend that concerning. Political thinking still think what the 'flashy' assets that can be buy, and not really on what TNI-AU can effectively support sustainably. TNI-AU own studies two years ago still shown F-16V. They're now publicly and conveniently change it Rafale and F-15EX even Typhoon, just to follow the wind blows. However if we read between the lines, we still can see the preference of F-16 family. All this because their technical level knows well which Fighters or Transport assets that sustainable for them, under their operational support infrastructure.

That's why I put in Indonesia thread, after all the push for TNI become more professional, the push for them to conduct proper studies, all of that can still be push down due to Political preference. How this going to encourage TNI professionalism?

Just add this safety video on L-100-30 (C-130 Civilian version) in TNI-AU Outside the B's (which 4-5 already refurbished as H standard) and the H, this ex Pelita and Merpati Airlines still maintain their VIP and Passenger configuration. However it's reconfigurate to full transport if needed.

Just to emphasis why TNI-AU internal studies not really keen to operate Non C-130 family as medium-heavy transport.

Last edited:

r0m8470

Is there a market or financial incentive for TNI-AU to 'trade in' their Flanker families with either F-15EX or Rafale as a way to offset the cost? I thought when TNI-AU bought F-5E/F, there was some kind of deal involving their inventory of older Soviet/Eastern-bloc made MiGs (the Constant Peg program)? Maybe more so for the F-15EX vs Rafale.

If the thought process is to have LIFT-low-heavy mix, maybe the mix of Hawk (then to be replaced w FA/TA50), F16, and F-15EX/Rafale would be an option? I do agree that it's difficult to understand the mix of Rafale and F-15EX in the inventory. Not that they are not capable aircraft, but having a small batch of each does not make for an effective force IMO, not to mention the logistical strain. The Qataris do it, but they have oil money to burn - pun intended. That still leaves a question mark on where KF-21 placement. Part of me thinks KF-21 is a long ways away since building a fighter jet is not an easy task (see how long Rafale and Eurofighter matured to the current state), but the Koreans can do amazing things in a relatively short order.

swerve

Super Moderator
Not sure if I should congratulate the TNI AU for the A400M order or commiserate with them — due to operational budget concerns. While it is true that Indonesia will gain capability with the A400M (multirole tanker & transport configuration) order, IMO the minimum order of a transport aircraft type should be 4 — to enable TNI AU pilots to retain flight currency should the aircraft type be concurrently down for maintenance and a bird strike should occur on the second aircraft.
As well as the firm order for 2, there's a Letter of Intent for 4 more.

Sandhi Yudha

Transport Airplane always got priority first. This's already TNI-AU plan with the 3rd C-130 sq. The plan is for at least 10 C-130J, to complement around 20+ C-130H. The Strategic Transport should be with MRTT double as Transport.

My concern more if they (MinDef) also still planning on having MRTT on top this A400M, which (according to publicly available TNI-AU studies) not in TNI-AU plan. It can still happen due to Airbus lobby. I'm just hoping if they choose A400M, then stop there.

Having MRTT on top of A400M and C-130 family, in theoritical operating budget condition (based on their historical allocation), can also still manageable. On the condition they go with F-16 family as MRCA or FA-50 as LCA. However the 'rumours' that still circulating up now, talking on Rafale, F-15EX or even Euro Typhoon (again Airbus lobby factor).

This is what's still a trend that concerning. Political thinking still think what the 'flashy' assets that can be buy, and not really on what TNI-AU can effectively support sustainably. TNI-AU own studies two years ago still shown F-16V. They're now publicly and conveniently change it Rafale and F-15EX even Typhoon, just to follow the wind blows. However if we read between the lines, we still can see the preference of F-16 family. All this because their technical level knows well which Fighters or Transport assets that sustainable for them, under their operational support infrastructure.

That's why I put in Indonesia thread, after all the push for TNI become more professional, the push for them to conduct proper studies, all of that can still be push down due to Political preference. How this going to encourage TNI professionalism?

Just add this safety video on L-100-30 (C-130 Civilian version) in TNI-AU Outside the B's (which 4-5 already refurbished as H standard) and the H, this ex Pelita and Merpati Airlines still maintain their VIP and Passenger configuration. However it's reconfigurate to full transport if needed.

Just to emphasis why TNI-AU internal studies not really keen to operate Non C-130 family as medium-heavy transport.
The combination of A330 MRTT, A400M and C-130 is ideal for Indonesia, if it had a large defence budget.
With a limited budget Indonesia now has, a combination of 4 A330 MRTT (ex-Garuda A330-243 if there is enough hours left) and C-130J-30/KC-130 will be more cost effective.

Here a promotion video.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
thought when TNI-AU bought F-5E/F, there was some kind of deal involving their inventory of older Soviet/Eastern-bloc made MiGs (the Constant Peg program)? Maybe more so for the F-15EX vs Rafale.
Different time, back in end of 60's early 70's, there's a need from US to get some examples of Mig 21. The earliest example according some sources, did come from TNI-AU inventories. However at this time around, US can get examples on Flankers from various sources.

If Indonesia want to get rid of TNI-AU Flankers, is most likely selling them to other users. Vietnam come to mind as their Flankers are in similar config with TNI-AU ones. However I don't think it will happen. TNI-AU need more active numbers of Fighters Sq's. So I think they will used them for at least another decade, until something come out in next decade as replacement.

Up until early 2020, what TNI-AU talking (even some leaks on their presentation to Parliament) was F-16V and LCA like FA-50 as Hawk replacement. However they seems now want to refurbished all F-16 and Hawk to make it available toward end of this decade or early next one. This I suspect cause the Political choices of Rafale and/or F-15E or even Eurojet can't be afforded at best to reach 10-11 Sq Fighters plan, if they retired those Hawks, Flankers or Older F-16.

The talk of F-16V or FA-50 is more the hope of some defense enthusiasts like me, that concern with TNI-AU operational sustainment. However seems the Political lobby take another direction. Even Boeing FB page shown F-15E when they congratulating TNI anniversary last month.

FB_IMG_1637466826227.jpg

Not saying this's what will be procure, still need a lot off US Lobby on this. However it's showing the lobby is in that direction with US. Indonesia keep in the position if US do not want Indonesia getting Su-35 under CAATSA, then either allow Indonesia to get F-15EX or F-35. Indonesia in the lobby with US reject F-16V so far instead as US offer.

Don't know if the procurement include in this talk in Manama yesterday. Still it's means the lobby still ongoing.

So the way I see the lobby moving at this moment, MinDef still want to get the target of 10 fighters Sq's from current 7 (2 F-16, 2 Hawks, 1 Flankers, 1 Super Tucano, and 1 TA-50 as LIFT and Light Attack). However seems the additional 3 sq will come more and more with Rafale and F-15EX. Frenchie already agree on Rafale, and what's left is the negotiations on financing costs. While with F-15EX, what's left if the lobby get approval from US.

All this will still make a Hodge pot of Small numbers of Fighters type that will not helping TNI-AU operational sustainment costs. It will not be an Ideal operational Air Force fighters fleet, but seems will make 'ideal' Political fighters fleet.

I'm still hoping some sanity check until last moment. However I do afraid so far the direction is not going there. As for KF-21, well despite all the talk and negotiations on KF-21, I always remind to those who's optimistic on this project. Follow the money trail and not empty negotiations. If they go with Rafale and F-15EX, is there any budget left for this KF-21 Project ?

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is Twitter Guy article in CNBC Indonesia. Somehow his tweet already got him several articles job in media. I don't agree many things with the Tweeter guy. However I put his article in here, cause this one confirm what I got from 'finance' people snipets. Many in bureaucracy and administrations still not comfortable giving more Investment to DI/IAe.

I don't agree with his assesment that the new Research agency will not giving fund to DI on finishing production process of N219. The Program already being funded by government, thus it will be Politically disaster if they don't at least finish with production cycles.

However if for further Investment, that I agree. The snipets that I got also indicating that further Investments will be review on How good DI exersise this N219 program. For that I doubt any new Investment will be given (for their N250/CN235 civilian, let alone Fighter project with KAI), unless they already shown capabilities to conduct proper project management and marketing capabilities.

More Government support can be mostly on fiscal/tax support. However on direct cash support, means additional capital injections. That's where I believe the 'finance' people still reluctant to do. Unless DI can prove them selves as viable commercial entity. Having unprofitable and unefficient SOE Aerospace Company, is hard to justified politically. This on the situations where the existances on unprofitable SOE being review to be cut.

Sandhi Yudha

Different time, back in end of 60's early 70's, there's a need from US to get some examples of Mig 21. The earliest example according some sources, did come from TNI-AU inventories. However at this time around, US can get examples on Flankers from various sources.

If Indonesia want to get rid of TNI-AU Flankers, is most likely selling them to other users. Vietnam come to mind as their Flankers are in similar config with TNI-AU ones. However I don't think it will happen. TNI-AU need more active numbers of Fighters Sq's. So I think they will used them for at least another decade, until something come out in next decade as replacement.

Up until early 2020, what TNI-AU talking (even some leaks on their presentation to Parliament) was F-16V and LCA like FA-50 as Hawk replacement. However they seems now want to refurbished all F-16 and Hawk to make it available toward end of this decade or early next one. This I suspect cause the Political choices of Rafale and/or F-15E or even Eurojet can't be afforded at best to reach 10-11 Sq Fighters plan, if they retired those Hawks, Flankers or Older F-16.

The talk of F-16V or FA-50 is more the hope of some defense enthusiasts like me, that concern with TNI-AU operational sustainment. However seems the Political lobby take another direction. Even Boeing FB page shown F-15E when they congratulating TNI anniversary last month.

View attachment 48667

Not saying this's what will be procure, still need a lot off US Lobby on this. However it's showing the lobby is in that direction with US. Indonesia keep in the position if US do not want Indonesia getting Su-35 under CAATSA, then either allow Indonesia to get F-15EX or F-35. Indonesia in the lobby with US reject F-16V so far instead as US offer.

Don't know if the procurement include in this talk in Manama yesterday. Still it's means the lobby still ongoing.

So the way I see the lobby moving at this moment, MinDef still want to get the target of 10 fighters Sq's from current 7 (2 F-16, 2 Hawks, 1 Flankers, 1 Super Tucano, and 1 TA-50 as LIFT and Light Attack). However seems the additional 3 sq will come more and more with Rafale and F-15EX. Frenchie already agree on Rafale, and what's left is the negotiations on financing costs. While with F-15EX, what's left if the lobby get approval from US.

All this will still make a Hodge pot of Small numbers of Fighters type that will not helping TNI-AU operational sustainment costs. It will not be an Ideal operational Air Force fighters fleet, but seems will make 'ideal' Political fighters fleet.

I'm still hoping some sanity check until last moment. However I do afraid so far the direction is not going there. As for KF-21, well despite all the talk and negotiations on KF-21, I always remind to those who's optimistic on this project. Follow the money trail and not empty negotiations. If they go with Rafale and F-15EX, is there any budget left for this KF-21 Project ?
Looking to the current administration, i still have the feeling that their attitude towards the KF-X program will not much change. And i really hope that TNI-AU will not get a combination of small amounts of Rafale + F-15EX + KF-X.

We just have to (still) wait what will happen.

Angkasa Yudha 2021, one of the largest airforce exercises this year.

Last edited:

hauritz

I continue to be confused by the Indonesian mixed bag approach to selecting defence equipment. It makes me wonder how they deal with everyday issues like training and maintenance. I haven't been able to find out anything about this but I am imagining it would be a nightmare.