Indonesian Aero News

Ananda

The Bunker Group

The Interview article actually already from mid of last month publication. I'm not too aware on this, only after I read in local forums which also just put it. Basically this interview with current US ambassador taking on the scope of present and future co-op between US and Indonesia.

There's section in the article where he talk on defense co-op, and he talk that so far the equipment that being discussed is F-16 and AH-64. Now this create some commotion in local forums since they're being lead by some local analyst/Industry Insiders and media, that Prabowo's already in advance discussion for F-15EX and heavier multirole helicopters like CH-47 and S-70i.

Now this interview with US Ambassador, and for me I do tend to believe it more than just some Analyst (especially the Twitter guy), that told time to time no additional batch of AH-64 in discussion or no hope for F-16. As ambassador, this interview basically talk with US point man in Indonesia. This means what he talk is basically US position.

At my previous post above I already put that second batch of AH-64E as Penerbad wish list. The ambassador only mention two assets, doesn't mean there's no other potential assets being discussed. However those two actually the ones that being discussed in more advance stage.

Perhaps this's what Boeing talk on their opportunity in Indonesia defense market, and perhaps why LM seems still confidence with F-16 for Indonesia. For me, as I have mentioned before, I don't see with current financing line ceiling being proposed by 'finance' on this term, there're rooms for both Rafale and F-15. It's either Rafale with F-16 and TA/FA-50 or F-15 with F-16 and TA/FA-50.

Also I don't see TNI-AU has enough annual budget to support operational costs of both Rafale and F-15E. Off course it can change if this administration or next one want to double their annual budget. However despite the increasing trend, I don't see they're going to have capabilities and will to increase the annual budget significantly. It's more on step by step increasing trend.

The interview also talking about financing Defense assets with foreign loan. Well off course that kind of question fall in to Tempo Agenda. Tempo always in line with NGO's, which questioning that (or questions every defense projects). Those NGO's should done their research back even into Soeharto era. Financing procurement using foreign credit line already happened long time ago. As I've put in few of my post sometime ago, it's common practice in trade commercially including for defense items.

How far is the process?

The Foreign Military Sales process has already started for several items , including fighter aircraft and helicopters. The process went smoothly. I believe the American company offers the best equipment. Given the depth of the relationship between the two militaries, I think it makes sense that the Indonesian military would opt for American equipment.

What types of fighter planes and helicopters did the Indonesian government buy?

As far as I'm concerned, the F16 and Apache helicopters are one of the items .
I cut the section of that interview in here, in case some of you that try the link, can't get enter the whole article.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FB_IMG_1628660918987.jpg

The SOE defense Industries FB page put their latest projects for National Technology days. This's the day when first N250 prototype take into the air.

For LEN they put image of several projects that they're currently doing. Two of them are Radars. The GCI one seems from the Project that they are doing with Leonardo. It's seems they working to license RAT-31 GCI radar.

The other one seems for tracking radar which shown similarities with SAAB Giraffe. Considering that Politically Indonesia demand involvement of local defense Industry for current projects, what LEN involvement as Local Defense Electronics company, will be the one that going to be procured.

While BPPT as technology agencies put video of Elang Hitam (Black Eagle) MALE UAV information. They have push the prototype first flight to end of this year. This is if not mistaken second push back from initial and of 2020, to Mid 2021 and now end 2021.

BPPT and Local Defense Industry already got Political support for defense Projects priority. Now it's back to them to shown they're capable to full fill their projects.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This kind of news, already created some excitement from local forums and enthusiasts. Especially those who are 'suporters' on KFX now KF-21 Indonesian involvement program.

Again, this still mean nothing, unless it's follow with Indonesian pay up the dues and provide further Investment. I have mentioned several times in Indonesia threads, especially during this administration, follow the money trail. Don't listen to what some local defense Industry Insiders, if there's no money trail that follow.

1. Is Indonesia already provided money and more over paid the late dues ? So far no.
2. Is Indonesia already prepared the Investment to build fighter jets assembly facilities in DI for preparing the local prototype production ? No, there's none being prepared. To provide the Investment means further capital injection to DI need to be done (just as capital injection being done with PAL for Submarine facilities). DI it self doesn't have money to build the facilities on their own money, they're practically close to bankrupt without Government injection.
3. Is there calculation being prepared by MinDef for long term budget on KF-21 procurement ? Well I don't care what the defense insider talk or wrote in social media, however the 'finance' people said there has no Investment plan yet on that.

Like I said, follow the money trails. If the 'finance' people has no preparing anything, then it's still cheap talk. Especially in this administration. Why, because the plan is just cheap talk if they don't talk with 'finance' people on how to prepare the money yet.

Years ago when the previous administration preparing Indonesia involvement on this program, I was enthusiasts on the development. This can be seen by my posts in this thread at that time. However current administration make me realize that many of their plans were and still are just cheap talks, if they don't being follow by money trails.

Moreover, don't just listen from ROK media, they are off course exposing their administration wish for Indonesia to still in the program. It's good for the program export potential image, to have other partner continue in the program.

However the decision is in Indonesia, not ROK. This's just 'potential' re-involvement of DI engineers, it's also more from ROK and KAI move to enticed Indonesia continue involvement. Wait until there's definite money trails from Indonesia to follow, wait until there's definite new Investment for DI, Then all of you that supports and dreams for IFX, can celebrate.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

View attachment 48424

The SOE defense Industries FB page put their latest projects for National Technology days. This's the day when first N250 prototype take into the air.

For LEN they put image of several projects that they're currently doing. Two of them are Radars. The GCI one seems from the Project that they are doing with Leonardo. It's seems they working to license RAT-31 GCI radar.

The other one seems for tracking radar which shown similarities with SAAB Giraffe. Considering that Politically Indonesia demand involvement of local defense Industry for current projects, what LEN involvement as Local Defense Electronics company, will be the one that going to be procured.

While BPPT as technology agencies put video of Elang Hitam (Black Eagle) MALE UAV information. They have push the prototype first flight to end of this year. This is if not mistaken second push back from initial and of 2020, to Mid 2021 and now end 2021.

BPPT and Local Defense Industry already got Political support for defense Projects priority. Now it's back to them to shown they're capable to full fill their projects.
Thank you for sharing.

Indonesia needs a lot of long-range air surveillance radars to cover all its airspace, so ToT for maintenance, assembly and/or licence production should be included in the contract.

The other radar is not an Ericsson Giraffe AMB or something, but i am sure it is a Thomson-CSF/Thales Ground Master 200 medium range multi mission radar.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Thanks @Sandhi Yudha seems the image from LEN FB page more similar to Thales Master 200, as you have put. Well it's more appropriate considering LEN historical track with Thales.

Sandhi Yudha

This kind of news, already created some excitement from local forums and enthusiasts. Especially those who are 'suporters' on KFX now KF-21 Indonesian involvement program.

Again, this still mean nothing, unless it's follow with Indonesian pay up the dues and provide further Investment. I have mentioned several times in Indonesia threads, especially during this administration, follow the money trail. Don't listen to what some local defense Industry Insiders, if there's no money trail that follow.

1. Is Indonesia already provided money and more over paid the late dues ? So far no.
2. Is Indonesia already prepared the Investment to build fighter jets assembly facilities in DI for preparing the local prototype production ? No, there's none being prepared. To provide the Investment means further capital injection to DI need to be done (just as capital injection being done with PAL for Submarine facilities). DI it self doesn't have money to build the facilities on their own money, they're practically close to bankrupt without Government injection.
3. Is there calculation being prepared by MinDef for long term budget on KF-21 procurement ? Well I don't care what the defense insider talk or wrote in social media, however the 'finance' people said there has no Investment plan yet on that.

Like I said, follow the money trails. If the 'finance' people has no preparing anything, then it's still cheap talk. Especially in this administration. Why, because the plan is just cheap talk if they don't talk with 'finance' people on how to prepare the money yet.

Years ago when the previous administration preparing Indonesia involvement on this program, I was enthusiasts on the development. This can be seen by my posts in this thread at that time. However current administration make me realize that many of their plans were and still are just cheap talks, if they don't being follow by money trails.

Moreover, don't just listen from ROK media, they are off course exposing their administration wish for Indonesia to still in the program. It's good for the program export potential image, to have other partner continue in the program.

However the decision is in Indonesia, not ROK. This's just 'potential' re-involvement of DI engineers, it's also more from ROK and KAI move to enticed Indonesia continue involvement. Wait until there's definite money trails from Indonesia to follow, wait until there's definite new Investment for DI, Then all of you that supports and dreams for IFX, can celebrate.
Remember this @Ananda !!!
| "It's huge illusion that Indonesia will acquire:
F-16 EDA
JAS 39
Sky Dragon 50 MR SAM
In fact, these equipment are not on government procurement list. Government won't finance any procurement based on illusion. Anyone should be smart to separate between fact and illusion.

11:20 AM · Aug 11, 2021·Twitter Web App "|

So everyone who thinks that F-16s, Sky Dragon 50 air defence systems, Sky Bow IV air defence systems or the Tornado F3 AWACS (Airplane With A Circular Spinner) will be acquired, is an illusionist who live in a dream world!

Btw, he hasn't give his extreme accurate predictions or supernatural statements about the KF-X program.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Btw, he hasn't give his extreme accurate predictions or supernatural statements about the KF-X program.
:D;) This is part his on-line war with other on-line Oracle, the Forum Merah Putih in Instagram. They're the ones that contradict his prediction, and give more or less opposite prediction.

He's afraid some of his followers will be more attracted to the 'other side'. Anyway this is an example that I meant with those so called Insiders information aka 'defense' gossiping. Sometimes in Indonesia those rumours/gossip/'insiders' info can provide potential movement. However for me, without Financial trails to back it up, it all just come back as cheap talk.

This Twitter guy once talk that SM as chief 'finance' can cancel PSP items. This means this guy still more or less clueless on how 'finance' people works. Once the 'finance' people already set PSP, it's not as easy like that to cancel it. SM as nation CFO can temporary delay the implementation, but to cancel or even delayed it basically has to get concent from MinDef or other related technical ministries. Sometimes even cabinet meeting (means with Nation CEO) concent.

Why ? Because the budget is actually belong to technical ministries and Finance only give approval for implementation. Thus it's not like 'finance' people can override other ministries budget, by their own will. They give approval when it can be implemented (especially the ones that already being set), and that's different with the power to override or cancel.

This just example that in many times he's also talking nonsense. So not much different with his on-line competitors from Instagram.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

During Paris Air Show 2019 Indonesia has ordered 6 new CL-515 and one Canadair CL-415EAF “Enhanced Aerial Firefighter” aircraft converted from a Canadair CL-215 to EAF standard.

The delivery of the first CL-515 was scheduled for 2024, but this order was done before the Covid-crisis. What is the status of this acquisition? Is it cancelled or on hold?

tonnyc

The delivery of the first CL-515 was scheduled for 2024, but this order was done before the Covid-crisis. What is the status of this acquisition? Is it cancelled or on hold?
This has been put on hold until the pandemy is over. This doesn't mean it couldn't be cancelled in the future if the economic impact of the pandemy is bad enough, but for now it's merely on hold.
With Covid-19 affecting the world, though, the launch date has been pushed back, with no definitive date from Viking as to when deliveries might begin. Viking Executive Vice-President of Sales and Marketing Robert Mauracher commented: “Unfortunately, due to the effect of Covid-19 on Viking’s operations and the pandemic’s impact on governments, their citizens and budgets globally, we have elected to slide the formal launch of the CL-515 until we see a stabilization in the global economic situation and a return to normal daily activities.”

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This has been put on hold until the pandemy is over. This doesn't mean it couldn't be cancelled in the future if the economic impact of the pandemy is bad enough, but for now it's merely on hold.
Considering the recent bushfires in North America and Europe, I would suggest that the sooner Indonesia has these aircraft on hand the better it will be for its own domestic bushfire response.

tonnyc

Considering the recent bushfires in North America and Europe, I would suggest that the sooner Indonesia has these aircraft on hand the better it will be for its own domestic bushfire response.
The Ministry of Defence has the authority to decide what to prioritize as far as defense procurement goes, so if Minister Prabowo decides to delay this, then it is delayed.

I personally believe that the Air Force's insistence that they acquire these aircrafts is a mistake. These should have gone to the disaster management bureau. But the air force is really adamant in acquiring amphibious aircrafts, and if that means taking over what logically should be a civilian bureau's purview, then they will take it over, as long as it means they get their hands on amphibious aircrafts. And then this happens.

Sandhi Yudha

The fifth F-16A/B Block 15OCU from the original batch of twelve under the Peace Bima Sena I program has been upgraded to Falcon STAR/eMLU standard. That means five more to go.

Salam Swa Bhuwana Paksa!
Merdeka!

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The GCI one seems from the Project that they are doing with Leonardo. It's seems they working to license RAT-31 GCI radar.

From LEN FB page, confirming that the GCI radar image on their graphics before is RAT-31, which they got work share as lead system integrator for TNI-AU order. The Project will begin next year.

Is this lead integrating jobs means on assembly, or system integration job only, or involvement on some local content manufacturing, something they are not open it clearly yet. Are this part on one time deal or part of progressing involvement, also not clear yet.

Sandhi Yudha

How

From LEN FB page, confirming that the GCI radar image on their graphics before is RAT-31, which they got work share as lead system integrator for TNI-AU order. The Project will begin next year.

Is this lead integrating jobs means on assembly, or system integration job only, or involvement on some local content manufacturing, something they are not open it clearly yet. Are this part on one time deal or part of progressing involvement, also not clear yet.
Thank you for sharing.
How many Selex RAT-31DL radars are ordered, and is the amount already fixed or still "under negotiation"?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
How many Selex RAT-31DL radars are ordered, and is the amount already fixed or still "under negotiation"?
Base on LEN FB above and Leonardo statement before, present contract is only for one.

However I do sense if LEN and Leonardo co-op going smoothly, more can come. MinDef already shown their intentions to recuperate GCI Radar coverage. The study done by LIPI shown significant deteroriating capabilities of some GCI Radars that procured in 60's and 70's. That could lead at least to 8 up to dozen replacement needed. Not talking on new coverage.

Sandhi Yudha

A-7305, a 737-400 transport aircraft from the Indonesian Airforce, has landed last night (21 August 2021) in Jakarta with 26 evacuated Indonesian nationals from Kabul.

Besides the Indonesians, five persons from the Philippines and two Afghans joined the flight. One of the Afghans is married with an Indonesian, the other is a local staff member of the KBRI / Indonesian Embassy.

ChestnutTree

How

Thank you for sharing.
The official requirement is for 32 GCI OTH radars to cover the archipelago. Knowing present economical conditions and Indonesian procurement habits, I wouldn't be surprise if we ordered a dozen RAT-3DL's only to suddenly change it to Thales or Indra further down the line. It also looks like it would likely be 1 (at most 2) unit so far, the current budget conditions aren't really permitting for the AU less they sacrifice the aircraft procurement.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Early this morning BPPT (Indonesian Technology Assesment and Application Agency) release another Video on their MALE UAV Project Black Eagle (Elang Hitam). This project close to two years behind schedulle on initial Flight Test.

The project being shown as gate way for Indonesia independent UAV tech development. Well at least that's how the Government Agencies in Indonesia try to picture it. Afterall Indonesian Agencies like to have to those hype ceremonial stages. Well the video clearly shown their hype tendencies.

Rumours around the project got delayed related with problem on Engine co-op and license on developing over the line of sight control communication with the drones.

Anyway with the release of the video, is the sign thay they are ready for next stage of trials ? Will have to see. The specs that they put basically has similarities with Chinese CH-4 MALE UAV that TNI-AU already operating.

Sandhi Yudha

Early this morning BPPT (Indonesian Technology Assesment and Application Agency) release another Video on their MALE UAV Project Black Eagle (Elang Hitam). This project close to two years behind schedulle on initial Flight Test.

The project being shown as gate way for Indonesia independent UAV tech development. Well at least that's how the Government Agencies in Indonesia try to picture it. Afterall Indonesian Agencies like to have to those hype ceremonial stages. Well the video clearly shown their hype tendencies.

Rumours around the project got delayed related with problem on Engine co-op and license on developing over the line of sight control communication with the drones.

Anyway with the release of the video, is the sign thay they are ready for next stage of trials ? Will have to see. The specs that they put basically has similarities with Chinese CH-4 MALE UAV that TNI-AU already operating.
Development of the PUNA Elang Hitam started way before TNI-AU received the CASC CH-4B, so the design can not be stolen from CASC. On the other hand the size and weight is very similar to the CH-4B and MQ-1B, but i can not believe that Indonesia just hacked into the computersystems of CASC and General Atomics.