Indonesian Aero News

Sandhi Yudha

Yes i remember the Bawean incident in 2003, 1998-2003 were the darkest years for Indonesia and its armed forces in decades, specially for TNI-AU, because almost all aircrafts had american components or were made in the US. Also the krismon and the low Rupiah deteriorated the state of readiness of our fleet.
In those years we were so weak and had such a bad image, that other countries just did not take us seriously.

Thats why i can not believe that the Netherlands just donated or sell spare parts to us, there is no reason to do that.
Being piss poor as a country also means that there will be a very limited amount of flying hours a year for each aircraft. An F-16 needs a phase-inspection every 200 hours, if each aircraft only fly 20-50 hours a year, it also means that you can wait at least 4 years until there will be a 200-hours phase inspection. I am sure that the TNI-AU had enough spare parts for these years. Some defect components need inspection or repair abroad if there is a malfunction, but hey, we all know that aircrafts are continuously cannibalized for spare parts in such situations.

But as you said, it will be inconsistent if our government just accept a barterdeal, without any ToT, TNI-AU needs at least ToT for heavy maintenance.

And i am still wondering when (or if) the Su-35 will be delivered to Indonesia. I will not be surprised if our government suddenly decides to order the Su-30SME or even more Su-30MK2 to save money for unimportant but expensive prestige projects.

Last edited:

Ahmad

Look like PTDI have huge optimism about their N 219 plane program. They want to set up a factory that can produce 36 planes per year, 2 times current production scale of Twin Otter. The factory will be automated which is something new for PTDI that currently uses conventional production system. I think PTDI should wait a little longer before implementing this plan since the real contract that has been signed so far only for 4 planes for Aceh province. There are around 238 planes that according to PTDI officials are already demanded but as we know it is still in a form of MOU agreement, not yet a real contract.

Current facility can only produce 6 N 219 planes per year so it is why PTDI want to set up 127 million dollar factory to meet the demand. But according to me, PTDI should not be in hurry. If they can produce 6 N 219 planes per year constantly is already an achievement IMO. Better wait for sometimes to see what the real demand for this planes is before making any risky move.

This year of 2020 is quite crucial for PTDI though. First they need to complete certification process that according to PTDI Director will be reached in the middle of this year inshaAllah. Second they need to find out how many real demands are actually exist for N 219 planes. If the demand are really that big, I think the government should help the company to finance the plan. As for current plan, PTDI is seeking investor to build the factory.

Despite a little bit cautious about the ambitious plan, I am quite optimistic about current PTDI Director performance since last year operation has reached profit around 10.5 million USD.

Here is about the plan.

PT Dirgantara akan Bentuk Anak Usaha untuk Penuhi Permintaan N219 | Republika Online

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Look like PTDI have huge optimism about their N 219 plane program. They want to set up a factory that can produce 36 planes per year, 2 times production scale of Twin Otter per year. The factory will be automated which is something new for PTDI that currently uses conventional production system. I think PTDI should wait a little longer before implementing this plan since the real contract that has been signed so far only for 4 planes for Aceh province. There are around 238 planes that according to PTDI officials are already demanded but as we know it is still in a form of MOU agreement, not yet a real contract.

Current facility can only produce 6 N 219 planes per year so it is why PTDI want to set up 127 million dollar factory to meet the demand. But according to me, PTDI should not be in hurry. If they can produce 6 N 219 planes per year constantly is already an achievement IMO. Better wait for sometimes to see what the real demand for this planes is before making any risky move.

This year of 2020 is quite crucial for PTDI though. First they need to complete certification process that according to PTDI Director will be reached in the middle of this year. Second they need to find out how many real demands are actually exist for N 219 planes. If the demand are really that big, I think the government should help the company to finance the plan. As for current plan, PTDI is seeking investor to build the factory.

Despite a little bit cautious about the ambitious plan, I am quite optimistic about current PTDI Director performance since last year operation has reach profit around 10.5 million USD.

Here is about the plan.

PT Dirgantara akan Bentuk Anak Usaha untuk Penuhi Permintaan N219 | Republika Online
The DHC-6 Twin Otter was out of production for twenty years, between 1988-2008. The initial plan of IPTN was to have a flying the prototype in April 2006 and to certify the N219 in August 2007. It was a great chance to get some market shares. But the production of the DHC-6 was restarted in 2008, and how longer we wait how more the DHC-6 will strengthen its position in the market. Sadly because of lack of governmental support and other factors, the development of the N219 is incredible slowly, specially if you compare it to the N250.

So IPTN has to handle quickly, there is enough demand for this type of aircraft. TNI-AL for example has around 30 grounded N22 Nomads, this old trash needs to be replaced. Also some NC212-100s from Penerbad are becoming old this decade.

Well, hopefully the certification will be this year, because every year its moved backwards to "next year".

Ahmad

The DHC-6 Twin Otter was out of production for twenty years, between 1988-2008. The initial plan of IPTN was to have a flying the prototype in April 2006 and to certify the N219 in August 2007. It was a great chance to get some market shares. But the production of the DHC-6 was restarted in 2008, and how longer we wait how more the DHC-6 will strengthen its position in the market. Sadly because of lack of governmental support and other factors, the development of the N219 is incredible slowly, specially if you compare it to the N250.

So IPTN has to handle quickly, there is enough demand for this type of aircraft. TNI-AL for example has around 30 grounded N22 Nomads, this old trash needs to be replaced. Also some NC212-100s from Penerbad are becoming old this decade.

Well, hopefully the certification will be this year, because every year its moved backwards to "next year".
Yup. It was initiated since 2004 but only have money to build the prototype since 2014 which actually comes from LAPAN budget. So we have to thank LAPAN Director for his visionary and help.

Indonesia is not progressing well enough is due to shortage of money. We also have similar problem with KFX/IFX program, N 245 program, and N219 factory plan where the government have hesitancy to disburse some money. Even long before that, during Soeharto regime, our previous leader doesnt take seriously a demand from our semiconductor expert to start researching on semiconductor since 1970. He was the guy who set up telemetry for our first rocket Kartika that was lauched during Soekarno era. Rocket development was also going no where during Soeharto era, something different when we compared with Soekarno era.

Research is also getting difficult in 2020 since Jokowi start his vocational program for unemployed high school graduates. Huge money also has been spent for village development since Jokowi run the office. And with Omnibus law that is currently being worked with lawmakers, he will cut corporate tax from 25 % into 20 %, something that will make research get difficult in funding at least until 2024, the end of his administration, since government potential revenue will be slashed.

Despite all of his plan that is actually good in essence and long term, that plan will ultimately effect all of research funding and also any necessary funding like for N 245 program and N 219 factory building. Because of that, I hope our defense budget will stay constant at 9.6 billion dollar per year up until 2024 so that money can still flow for research and any productive program.

It will be a difficult period for our high tech defense program so that if we actually can still continue KFX/IFX program, spend necessary money for N 219 program in case the demand is big enough, complete our MALE UAV development until 2024, continue our rocket and satellite program that include making our own SAR radar, it will be a huge accomplishment amid tight budget for the period of 2020-2024.

If we can accomplish that then we have chance to start spending more money for research and high tech program starting for 2025 where new leader inshaAllah emerges. At 2024 we are projected to have 1.6 trillion dollar GDP if we can grow at 5 until 5.5 percent during that period, a growth rate that is quite achievable for us inshaAllah that currently grows at 5 percent rate. That GDP number IMO is also quite enough to have state budget that have capability to spend big enough for research and high tech program. I predict we can finance both N 245 and R80 program starting at 2025.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

One thing which I started to wonder about, is what is the Indonesian situation with respect to defence electronics and specifically avionics, in terms of production and/or systems design/integration? Would Indonesia be able to domestically design, manufacture and integrate, or engage in licensed production, of airborne sensors suitable for maritime or aerial surveillance and ground scanning?

If Indonesia is able to do the above, or can partner with foreign regional companies able to provide the avionics and sensors, I could see the N219 still having a market in the region in support of civil and military authorities in the Asia-Pacific region even with the work and products available from Viking Air.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
One thing which I started to wonder about, is what is the Indonesian situation with respect to defence electronics and specifically avionics, in terms of production and/or systems design/integration?
System integration is done by DI/IAe for both their MPA based on CN-235-220 and NC-212-400. They are partnering with Thales, that's why DI MPA mostly use Thales system (Amoscos). Got a picture somewhere (but forgot where I put it) on locally build gyroscope gimbal lock camera for NC-212 Patrol version. However the control system still uses Thales.

Singapore Airshow 2020: Indonesia to develop MPA variant of N219 | Jane's 360

NC-212-400i MPA/Patrol version initially developed to replace Nomad Patrol version in TNI-AL inventory. Seems they are now looking for N-219 version. I suspect this considering that it's still based on NC-212 however lighter (no ramp door for one thing), thus potentially provide more patrol time. Thus more comparable to what Nomad used to provide in patrol time.

I believe DI will still based all their MPA version system with Thales. Indonesian military seems comfortable enough with Thales systems and Thales and DI already partnering for some time, that they (DI) are comfortable enough to done all system integration locally.

Sandhi Yudha

System integration is done by DI/IAe for both their MPA based on CN-235-220 and NC-212-400. They are partnering with Thales, that's why DI MPA mostly use Thales system (Amoscos). Got a picture somewhere (but forgot where I put it) on locally build gyroscope gimbal lock camera for NC-212 Patrol version. However the control system still uses Thales.

Singapore Airshow 2020: Indonesia to develop MPA variant of N219 | Jane's 360

NC-212-400i MPA/Patrol version initially developed to replace Nomad Patrol version in TNI-AL inventory. Seems they are now looking for N-219 version. I suspect this considering that it's still based on NC-212 however lighter (no ramp door for one thing), thus potentially provide more patrol time. Thus more comparable to what Nomad used to provide in patrol time.

I believe DI will still based all their MPA version system with Thales. Indonesian military seems comfortable enough with Thales systems and Thales and DI already partnering for some time, that they (DI) are comfortable enough to done all system integration locally.
It seems that IPTN plans to install a 30 mm gun into the CN235 gunship which is still under development, also some hardpoints on the fuselage are in the planning for gun- or rocketpods.

Ditpoludara Polri Terima Heli Ketiga Jenis Bell 429 GlobalRanger

Tahun Depan Datang, Polri Beli 9 Heli AW169 dan 2 AW189

So the police already has the NBO-105, NBell-412, AS365 Dauphin and those ugly Mi-2s and Enstroms 480....recently they got three Bell 429, and now they also ordered 9 AW169 and 2 AW189.

Maybe i am stupid, but for me its not understandable why the police wants so much different brands and types of helicopters....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Maybe i am stupid, but for me its not understandable why the police wants so much different brands and types of helicopters....
Many media or forums in Indonesia talk about how TNI budget increase to USD 9.6 bio this year, shown much interest and scrutinized what TNI will do on that budget. However not much talk on what Police/POLRI will do with their USD 7.7 bio budget.

I don't know if this by design in media or simply not much interest on what Police do with their budget, but seems with TNI procurement must involved Local Defense Industry, the POLRI procurement should also do that.
In old days, all POLRI helicopters must used IPTN/DI product, that's why under Soeharto most of POLRI Helicopters used NBO-105.
Still this AW procurement seems try to get into the framework with Leonardo according to link that you posted, will assembly all the Helicopters locally in their Partner facilities. AW/Leonardo already try to get into Indonesian market for some time. However with DI already team up with Airbus Helicopter and Bell, they need to get other local partner to build facilities in Indonesia.

If not mistaken their 'plan' facilities also located in Pondok Cabe airport in Southern Jakarta. This facility actually owned by Pelita (Pertamina subsidiaries) as home to that Oil Company aerospace business, and their MRO facility. Coincidentally POLRI air wing also in there. I'm not sure if this mean Leonardo will team up with Pelita Air in using their MRO facilities.

Anyway if Leonardo also team up with local partner on having support and assembly facility locally, then it's still in procurement framework. It's good anyway to provide some competing alternative to DI/Airbus dominance on government institution procurement.

Most important thing that what TNI procurement framework should also being put on POLRI procurement. Which so far in my opinion Polri procurement is not as scrutinized as TNI procurement on following this 'official' framework.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
, this is an F-16 which got a MLU? On which level is this update, like the NATO one from 20 years ago (to Block 52 standard
Pesawat F-16 TNI AU Diupgrade, Dilengkapi Bom Canggih JDAM - Tekno Tempo.co

This's from Tempo. The article not talk much on the detail of what they are doing in MLU, but they talk on BVR missile and JDAM capable and Structure modifications.

In my opinion they will get same upgrade that F-16C/D upgraded to Block 50+ standard. TNI-AU in this seems want to have all their F-16 to get similar capabilities.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In my opinion they will get same upgrade that F-16C/D upgraded to Block 50+ standard. TNI-AU in this seems want to have all their F-16 to get similar capabilities.
Well that would make sense in the long run. However whether it happens or not remains to be seen doesn't it. I certainly hope so for the TNI-AU's sake.

Sandhi Yudha

Pesawat F-16 TNI AU Diupgrade, Dilengkapi Bom Canggih JDAM - Tekno Tempo.co

This's from Tempo. The article not talk much on the detail of what they are doing in MLU, but they talk on BVR missile and JDAM capable and Structure modifications.

Well, the 24 F-16C/D Block 25 were upgraded to Block 52- standard, from which i understand the original AN/APG-68 radars were not upgraded.

I found a little more information:
http://lembagakeris.net/menimbang-keterlibatan-pt-di-dalam-retrofit-f-16/

But this article is from 2012, i dont know how much of the planning became reality.

I also found more pictures and info about the TS-1601 flight and presentation.
Lembaga Kajian Pertahanan Strategis

Ahmad

One thing which I started to wonder about, is what is the Indonesian situation with respect to defence electronics and specifically avionics, in terms of production and/or systems design/integration? Would Indonesia be able to domestically design, manufacture and integrate, or engage in licensed production, of airborne sensors suitable for maritime or aerial surveillance and ground scanning?

If Indonesia is able to do the above, or can partner with foreign regional companies able to provide the avionics and sensors, I could see the N219 still having a market in the region in support of civil and military authorities in the Asia-Pacific region even with the work and products available from Viking Air.
You can check about Indonesian avionics capability by seeing PT LEN Industry and InfoGlobal website:

infoglobal.co.id https://www.len.co.id/teknologi-bisnis/elektronika-pertahanan/

Any way MALE UAV program is also used to develope Indonesian made electronic product like fligh control system, ground control system, and mission payload control. The contract to make mission system for MALE UAV have already been signed and reported by Jane Defense. LAPAN (Indonesia space agency) is also disbursing money to develop SAR radar for this MALE UAV and they also have micro satellite program that will be installed with SAR radar but the report is in Indonesia.

upload_2020-2-19_16-37-42.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8vfgaKHeld/

Indonesia’s PT Len to develop UAV mission systems
Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - Jane's Defence Industry
03 February 2020

The Indonesian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed an agreement with local company PT Len Industri to support the production of mission systems for the country’s indigenously developed Elang Hitam (Black Eagle) medium-altitude, long-endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The MoD said the contract, signed on 30 January, will see PT Len Industri develop, produce, and integrate key systems into the strike-capable Elang Hitam UAV by 2023.

https://www.janes.com/article/94048/indonesia-s-pt-len-to-develop-uav-mission-systems

Ahmad

The MLU of our F 16 A/B in side the country shows our Air Force and PT Dirgantara capability in mid life extension, integration, and upgrade work for fighter plane. Only 2 persons coming from Lockheed Martin who supervise the work.

A newly upgraded TNI AU F-16 fighter jet takes off for a test flight from the Iswahjudi Air Force Base in Magetan, East Java, on Tuesday. (Antara Photo/Siswowidodo)

Taking Off
BY :ANTARA PHOTO

FEBRUARY 18, 2020

Lockheed Martin engineers conducted test flights for newly upgraded Indonesian Air Force (TNI AU) F-16 fighter jets at the Iswahjudi Air Force Base in Magetan, East Java, on Tuesday. The upgrade to 10 of TNI AU's F-16 jets was carried out by TNI AU and Dirgantara Indonesia engineers under the supervision of Lockheed Martin.

Taking Off

Mengintip Peremajaan F-16, Si Elang Besi Penghuni Lanud Iswahjudi

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Indonesia dapat Hibah 14 Drone ScanEagle dari AS | Republika Online

So, besides the donation of the ScanEagle UAV, the US will also pay for the upgrade of three Disnerbal NBell-412? Will it be done in the US or at IPTN?

The ScanEagle is very usable not only to keep an eye om the sea traffic, smuggling and piracy in our territorial waters, but also to patrol above Laut Natuna.
According to reports/articles from Jane's, Indonesia will get only 6 ScanEagles, so its quite confusing that Indonesia will suddenly get 14 pieces.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

ChestnutTree

If this is true then it is very big news. To think all those years that were spent speculating and announcing how the MinDef was very close to closing the deal and that the jets would arrive by (insert random month and year here). I am quite interested to see whether the US has given the MinDef and Jokowi Administration a very good counteroffer apart from pressures from the Trump administration alone.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
To think all those years that were spent speculating and announcing how the MinDef was very close to closing the deal and that the jets would arrive by (insert random month and year here)
This is already can be seen how desprate the Russian lobbying to save the deal. I already mentioned there are two things need to be considered:
1. Our dependence to US Financial System, Trade and Export Access is far exceed our similar dependence on Russian ones,
2. This deal does not benefit anything to development of our own Defense Industry. Only benefit some companies that close to administration inner circle, especialy on the first term.

One thing that article that be noted is the mentioned of Indonesian Mindef attraction to F-35 program. So far Min-Def more talking on Viper or Rafale as alternative to Su-35. This article seems indicating Mindef ask F-35 as compensation to drop Su-35.

Last edited: