Indonesia: 'green water navy'

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FB_IMG_1702257609292.jpgFB_IMG_1702213971520.jpgFB_IMG_1702213961378.jpg

Typical Indonesian Procurement. After 16 years+ they finally put main gun in Makasar class LPD. This one on the lead ship of the class, which seems got the main gun after latest big MRO on October this year. The gun seems Oto/Leonardo twin 40mm. FFBNW strong continue as practice.

Source from various FB pages.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Japan agree to provide grant for Indonesian Coast Guard for 1 Large Patrol Vessel that being talk will cost around JPY 9 bio or around IDR 1 trio or around USD 66 mio. This vessel will be build by Japanese yard.

For Indonesian Ship Yard this is not really good news considering before Bakamla biggest OPV of 110M already build by Indonesian Yard. However considering how small current administration wants to invest on Bakamla OPV (those 110M OPV actually invested by initiative of previous administration), this is already welcoming move. Perhaps the cooperation with Japan Yard that before being talk for Mogami Class Frigate now being move to Coast Guard OPV.

Will see if this coop will develop to further OPV class that some to be build locally by Indonesian yard. Considering actually China put their coast guard as forefront in SCS show down, getting more OPV for Coast Guard is better move also for Indonesia.

There're two type of coast guard vessels model that Japanese (in this MHI), made recently. One is MRRV type for Philippines coast guard and other Large Patrol Vessels for Japanese Coast Guard.

The statement from Japan MOFA claim the vessels build for Indonesian Bakamla (Coast Guard) will cost JPY 9bio per vessels which is bigger then Philippines ones. Will that be similar with Japan Coast Guard Shunkou class (which is derrived from Mogami FFM design)? If the Mogami FFM offer being switch to Coast Guard vessels, could that be something similar to that Shunkou class?

I do hope this is not only vessel agreement. Knowing how Japan doing business with ASEAN, it is probable Japan finance the first one through their grant, and latter on make agreement on follow up through credit line. One thing for sure, despite recent Japanese move for defense export, exporting cost guard vessels will be less politically sensitive then exporting Naval Frigates.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

View attachment 51001View attachment 51002View attachment 51003

Typical Indonesian Procurement. After 16 years+ they finally put main gun in Makasar class LPD. This one on the lead ship of the class, which seems got the main gun after latest big MRO on October this year. The gun seems Oto/Leonardo twin 40mm. FFBNW strong continue as practice.

Much better than those antique 4th hands manually operated Bofors 40mm...

Japan agree to provide grant for Indonesian Coast Guard for 1 Large Patrol Vessel that being talk will cost around JPY 9 bio or around IDR 1 trio or around USD 660 mio. This vessel will be build by Japanese yard.

For Indonesian Ship Yard this is not really good news considering before Bakamla biggest OPV of 110M already build by Indonesian Yard. However considering how small current administration wants to invest on Bakamla OPV (those 110M OPV actually invested by previous administration), this is already welcoming move. Perhaps the cooperation with Japan Yard that before being talk for Mogami Class Frigate now being move to Coast Guard OPV.

Will see if this coop will develop to further OPV class that some houng to be build locally by Indonesian yard. Considering actually China put their coast guard as forefront in SCS show down, getting more OPV for Coast Guard is better move also for Indonesia.
Thank you for sharing.
$660.000.000 is ridiculous high for a Coastguard patrolboat. It will perhaps become an OPV with the size of a large destroyer or cruiser with space for at least 2 helicopters.
But we can absolutely use that, with BAKAMLA having a handful of ships with the largest one only 110 m, agains those huge chinese coastguard vessels.

But it is indeed funny that an administration coming with things like
"...konsepsi membangun Indonesia sebagai poros maritim dunia, laiknya lahirnya Deklarasi Juanda, merupakan “milestone” di sepanjang sejarah perumusan kebijakan nasional selama ini."
and in the end they don't even want to invest in the coastguard.

(Source:https://indonesia.go.id/narasi/indonesia-dalam-angka/ekonomi/indonesia-poros-maritim-dunia)

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Not enough info ones yet, but I put some potential assesment base on their (MHI) recent coast guard products on my previous post.

There's interest from JICA on developing local shipyard standard.

Again base on how JICA work their interest ussualy assessment on potential industrial co-op. Before I put in this thread sometime ago on MHI delegates that assessing some shipyards in Batam. One of them that make Tanjung Datu OPV which's Bakamla largest OPV. All this just my assessment (guessing) on JICA and MHI moves. Still one thing for sure, Japan knows well how to navigate Indonesian bureaucracy to get the deal done.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
@kato thanks for the correction. Silly me making that slip mistake on currency conversion. Already change that in original post.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
then it is a really good deal, $64 million for a large patrol vessel.
The most recent similar contract for five patrol vessels from Japan with the Philippines was valued at 79 billion yen, for comparison - i.e. 15.8 billion yen per ship.

The statement from Japan MOFA claim the vessels build for Indonesian Bakamla (Coast Guard) will cost JPY 9bio per vessels which is bigger then Philippines ones. Will that be similar with Japan Coast Guard Shunkou class (which is derrived from Mogami FFM design)?
The modified Kunigami/Kunisaki class vessels built by MHI for the Philippines (the 94m MRRVs) would cost around 8.75b yen per ship today adjusted for inflation, so it's not really unlikely it's a variant of the same design.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Recent contract for 5 Coast Guard vessels for Philippines was valued USD 525 mio overall. This includes 5 vessels and logistics package to support them.

Seems it is similar 97m design Coast Guard ships with the first 2 vessels. The difference in costs related with the financing scheme. The first two was base on grant scheme, while the second five was base on credit line. Thus the first two finance through Japanese Government purchase while the second five is actually already calculated as export financing.

Thus the overall package calculated differently. However this is what I have put in my previous post on how Japan ussualy work on G to G financing export in ASEAN. First package ussualy trough grant aid and succeeding packages through export credit lines. However considering the rate of inflation in Japan, the real costs of that ships is still around JPY 7-8 bio.

it's not really unlikely it's a variant of the same design.
Yes after looking more on their recent Coast Guard vessels production line, and considering the costs is only slightly bigger at JPY 9 bio. It is more likely will be similar design base what Japanese Coast Guard call Large Patrol Vessels and not Large Patrol Vessels with Helicopter.

Kunigami is Large Patrol Vessel, While Shunkou is Large Patrol Vessel with Helicopter. Seems the difference is Kunigami has helicopter pad while Shunkou has both pad and hangar. Whether the seems bigger price tag on this Indonesian Bakamla deal will make slightly larger ones or not remain to be seen on detail contract later on.

If there's follow on order (as I believe Japan hope in deals), remain to be seen whether will be work on Japanese yard or not.

Sandhi Yudha

View attachment 51001View attachment 51002View attachment 51003

I wonder if the surveillance radar and fire control systems are added for the new main gun during the overhaul and modernization.

Recent contract for 5 Coast Guard vessels for Philippines was valued USD 525 mio overall. This includes 5 vessels and logistics package to support them.

Seems it is similar 97m design Coast Guard ships with the first 2 vessels. The difference in costs related with the financing scheme. The first two was base on grant scheme, while the second five was base on credit line. Thus the first two finance through Japanese Government purchase while the second five is actually already calculated as export financing.

Thus the overall package calculated differently. However this is what I have put in my previous post on how Japan ussualy work on G to G financing export in ASEAN. First package ussualy trough grant aid and succeeding packages through export credit lines. However considering the rate of inflation in Japan, the real costs of that ships is still around JPY 7-8 bio.

Yes after looking more on their recent Coast Guard vessels production line, and considering the costs is only slightly bigger at JPY 9 bio. It is more likely will be similar design base what Japanese Coast Guard call Large Patrol Vessels and not Large Patrol Vessels with Helicopter.

Kunigami is Large Patrol Vessel, While Shunkou is Large Patrol Vessel with Helicopter. Seems the difference is Kunigami has helicopter pad while Shunkou has both pad and hangar. Whether the seems bigger price tag on this Indonesian Bakamla deal will make slightly larger ones or not remain to be seen on detail contract later on.

If there's follow on order (as I believe Japan hope in deals), remain to be seen whether will be work on Japanese yard or not.
I hope that the hull of the OPV will be reinforced/strengthened in case the situation becomes more physical during confrontations with the chinese coastguard.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
There's one more recent Japan Coast Guard patrol vessel design in production. It is call Miyako class. It is larger then Kunigami and both classified as Large Patrol Vessel (PL) . Both below Shunkou that classified as Large Patrol Vessel with Helicopter (PLH).

52224917215_bed2a291d8_k.jpgd238fc088a9f45338e579c8f77326b47.jpg

The cost to build this type is closer to JPY 9 bio range then Kunigami JPY 7+ bio. Anyway this is just speculations base on what's their current and latest Coast Guard Large Patrol (OPV) design in production. Just like Philippines Coast Guard that also got design derive from Japan's own coast guard ships. Something that reasonable and efficient.

Anyway despite talk more on defense article export, Japan so far in SEA seems more willing on co-op with maritime constabulary forces. Before this news from Japan MOFA, They already give two Fishery Protection ships:

FB_IMG_1702947623872.jpg

So I do still suspect internally exporting maritime constabulary ships, is still more acceptable for Japan internal politics. This despite present administration drive for defense items export. Or perhaps it is part of Japan strategy of testing water. That begin export from Fishery, Coast Guard, and later on try Naval.

Just my two cents speculations.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Fassmer and Abeking & Rasmussen are jointly realizing a new 105m hydrographic survey and SAR ship for Indonesia. A&R is the general contractor. Officially tendered out by Bantu Hidro-Oseanografi, will be operated by the Navy. Keel was apparently laid last week.

Official press release with visualization: https://www.abeking.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/2023-12-19_Press-Release-AuR-and-Fassmer.pdf

Indonesian press release: PUSHIDROSAL

The large crew of 90 mentioned in the indonesian release hints at a rather conventional layout with little automatisation (for comparison, Atair, a 75m survey ship built by Fassmer for counterpart BSH in Germany - visible in one of the photos in the above pdf - has a crew of 18 plus accomodation for another 15).

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This BHO or Hydro-oseographic Survey Ship is also going to be the SRVS mother ship. The overall system that being procured and constructed by UK SMP.

Local shipyard Palindo Marine in Batam will do construction of this BHO under license and tech transfer agreement with both A&R and Fassmer.

The large crew of 90 mentioned in the indonesian release hints at a rather conventional layout with little automatisation
I do believe the large crew that being told by TNI-AL Hydro-oseographic Center (Pushidrosal) is total crew acomodation capacities to also include crew for overall SRV system operation and potential submariners in rescue.

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This BHO or Hydro-oseographic Survey Ship is also going to be the SRVS mother ship. The overall system that being procured and constructed by UK SMP.
Is that separate from this one?
Wondering since this article mentions a "92.5m mothership designed by Houlder and built by PT BTI Defence".

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This is something that I also not clear enough. BTI is Indonesian local company that being choose by SMP as their local partner for system integrator and local training vendor. BTI it self doesn't have shipyard and base on previous info as mention by Naval News will contracted local yard to build the Mother Ship.

However the article that I put from Antara News Agency put TNI-AL chief media brief on BHO that being build in Batam is also going to be use as Mother Ship for SRVS.

So either they are going to build 2 Mother Ships (which I'm skeptical on that) or they decide that BHO being build under license from A&R will also be the only Mother Ship for SRVS.

Put again this video from Indonesian MinDef on their SRV system being order from SMP. Shown that will be one Mother Ship for overall SRV system. However if need be, SRV can be dissamble in to two parts and air transport to nearest port (of submarine accident). Assemble and being tow by another ship to meet with Mother Ship that's going to follow later on.

So I do see there will be only one SRV Mother Ship and base on TNI-AL chief, it will be this BHO. Thus means the design not only prepare by A&R and Fassmer for Oseographic survey but also has to be able Integrate with SMP SRV system. However the question will be where Houlder involvement on this? As Houlder that suppose to integrate the Mother Ship design with SRV.

Thus it can still be two mother ship, but I doubt it. I tend to see they enlarge the design so this ship can act both as Hydro-Oseagraphic survey ship and Mother Ship for SRV.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

4 more Bakamla opv got Aselsan Smash 30mm. This is similar 30mm gun that previously already equiped 4 Bakamla opv. (1 110m opv, and 3 80m opv). This time for 4 50m opv. In total there will be 10 Bakamla opv going to be equip with 30mm gun, as previously mention in 2021.

This mean all opv of 50m, 80m and 110m will have same 30mm gun, which seems all will be using Aselsan Smash 30mm. Hope they are doing better job then TNI on standardizing their guns.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Watch this video on Facebook

Indonesian MinDef accounts whether FB or X put video on both U214 and Scorpene. The pages also stated TNI-AL chief talk in media, that the decision for next batch of submarine will 'hopefully' soon come out. For sometime U214 and Scorpene is known as leading candidate. However the video also talk on SM39 and A3SM that more likely will equip Scorpene. Could it be sign that Scorpene is the pick?

Could two types going to be pick, as seems in Frigate Babcock Arrowhead derivative and Fincantieri PPA seems going to be the pick for Frigate programs? Question going to be in my opinion depends on political situation. Currently politically there's strong push for domestic industry involvement in manufacturing and production.

However for Submarine and Frigate there's going to be problem on capacity. So far only one yard that have capacity toward involvement in both Frigate and Submarine. Capabilities of other domestic yards seems still limited on Patrol boats and OPV.

Screenshot_2023-12-28-11-52-35-076_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

This is screenshot that I took from recent PT. PAL video on their year company profile. Despite all the talk for PAL in local media and government policy for Naval domestication, it is clear the size of PAL facility is limited.

They are only having 2 graving docks and one floating dock. Two enclose ship building facilities and one Submarine facility. Means if they are already involve in building one type of Frigate or Submarine, they can't involve on others. If they are already involve with Babcock Frigate and NG Submarine for example, then if MinDef want another Frigate or Submarine program to keep up with schedule replacement program, they have to engage overseas yard.

Yes in theory they (MinDef) can ask potential supplier to work with other domestic yards. However again that's means have to build learning curve for Frigate and Submarine. Something that so far PAL as the only yard that shown capabilities on that learning curve process already.

Thus if MinDef able to get approval for Fincantieri frigate size contract (whether FREMM or PPA), most likely it will be build by Fincantieri yard in Italy. Similar thing if they want more Submarine faster then what PAL can produce, some will have come from overseas yard.

Officially they still want 12 Frigate and 8 Submarine by early next decade. Something that current PAL capacity unlikely able to build all. Most likely PAL will stick with Arrowhead derivative design (for Frigate) and NG Scorpene (if they win the pick). Could another type Submarine be 214? Well it also could be DSME 209 build in DSME/Hanwha Ocean (not PAL facility), as the 2nd batch contract has not officially terminated (at least as far as my understanding). Budget wise is is also more fitting to have 6 DSME 209 1400 and 2 NG Scorpene to get that 8 number as plan. So Who knows.

One thing for sure, with current PAL capacity and capabilities, they can't build all the expected number of Frigates and Submarines envisage on MinDef mid-long term plan. This is where the political compromise must be meet.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Watch this video on Facebook

Indonesian MinDef accounts whether FB or X put video on both U214 and Scorpene. The pages also stated TNI-AL chief talk in media, that the decision for next batch of submarine will 'hopefully' soon come out. For sometime U214 and Scorpene is known as leading candidate. However the video also talk on SM39 and A3SM that more likely will equip Scorpene. Could it be sign that Scorpene is the pick?

Could two types going to be pick, as seems in Frigate Babcock Arrowhead derivative and Fincantieri PPA seems going to be the pick for Frigate programs? Question going to be in my opinion depends on political situation. Currently politically there's strong push for domestic industry involvement in manufacturing and production.

However for Submarine and Frigate there's going to be problem on capacity. So far only one yard that have capacity toward involvement in both Frigate and Submarine. Capabilities of other domestic yards seems still limited on Patrol boats and OPV.

View attachment 51053

This is screenshot that I took from recent PT. PAL video on their year company profile. Despite all the talk for PAL in local media and government policy for Naval domestication, it is clear the size of PAL facility is limited.

They are only having 2 graving docks and one floating dock. Two enclose ship building facilities and one Submarine facility. Means if they are already involve in building one type of Frigate or Submarine, they can't involve on others. If they are already involve with Babcock Frigate and NG Submarine for example, then if MinDef want another Frigate or Submarine program to keep up with schedule replacement program, they have to engage overseas yard.

Yes in theory they (MinDef) can ask potential supplier to work with other domestic yards. However again that's means have to build learning curve for Frigate and Submarine. Something that so far PAL as the only yard that shown capabilities on that learning curve process already.

Thus if MinDef able to get approval for Fincantieri frigate size contract (whether FREMM or PPA), most likely it will be build by Fincantieri yard in Italy. Similar thing if they want more Submarine faster then what PAL can produce, some will have come from overseas yard.

Officially they still want 12 Frigate and 8 Submarine by early next decade. Something that current PAL capacity unlikely able to build all. Most likely PAL will stick with Arrowhead derivative design (for Frigate) and NG Scorpene (if they win the pick). Could another type Submarine be 214? Well it also could be DSME 209 build in DSME/Hanwha Ocean (not PAL facility), as the 2nd batch contract has not officially terminated (at least as far as my understanding). Budget wise is is also more fitting to have 6 DSME 209 1400 and 2 NG Scorpene to get that 8 number as plan. So Who knows.

One thing for sure, with current PAL capacity and capabilities, they can't build all the expected number of Frigates and Submarines envisage on MinDef mid-long term plan. This is where the political compromise must be meet.
Dont forget that PAL also has to build the two additional 123 m LPDs for the Philippine Navy.

What the Indonesian government has to do is to expand PAL's complex into the sea.

Toptob

Dont forget that PAL also has to build the two additional 123 m LPDs for the Philippine Navy.

What the Indonesian government has to do is to expand PAL's complex into the sea.
From what I can see they could expand into the naval base to the East. I presume it's all government land anyway, they'd just need to rearrange the jetties and do some dredging.