Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions

colay1

I seem to recall seeing a pic of a SH taking off from a ramp years back. Anyway, found this. Does fine in simulations.

STOBAR Carrier Ski-jump Simulator

Conclusions

It was found that F-18E/F is capable of operating from STOBAR carrier even at maximal takeoff weight. Also Wind over Deck requirements for high loads aren't low they are reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

the road runner

They don't seem willing to pay what is necessary which is why they continue dealing with Russia while letting Western proposals fade away.
India has started to loose Squadron Strength as they are retiring more fighters than they are purchasing. They really need to speed up procurement of future fighters.

Edit...
India is down to 32 Squadrons .
14 Squadrons of Mig-21 and Mig 27 will be retired around 2020.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
India has started to loose Squadron Strength as they are retiring more fighters than they are purchasing. They really need to speed up procurement of future fighters.
They have what must be the worlds most convoluted and torturous military acquisition system, so no wonder. Plus they issues with the Make in India program and HAL which is government owned.

the road runner

They have what must be the worlds most convoluted and torturous military acquisition system, so no wonder. Plus they issues with the Make in India program and HAL which is government owned.
I don't understand why they just don't take up those offer's for LM, Dassault or Boeing to produce planes from an Indian line?

India is in a good position now to overhaul its large number of different Aircraft. Mig 21,Mig 27,Mig 29,Jaguar,Mirage SU30,tejas and maybe Rafael.

They should cut their number of Aircraft down to 2 or 3 types over the next decade.

Purchase more SU30 consolidate on Rafael( if that fails either F-16/F-18)and tejas and leave it at that .

How much money would be saved if they cut their number of fighters down to 2 or 3 different types? The training/spare parts and associated costs with having so many different fighters in the inventory must be huge!

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
India was offered the entire Mirage 2000 production line 10 years ago, & is reported to have not even bothered to reply.
I thought they got around to replying after the line was destroyed?

Also remember these guys passed on the Sea Harriers because they didn't come with radar and AMRAAM's even though they were in the middle of upgrading their own SHAR's with Israeli radar and missiles...

swerve

Super Moderator
Yeah.

Whenever I get depressed by our military procurement fiascos I console myself with the thought that at least our procurement isn't as bad as India's.

They asked for information on buying a few more C-17s not long ago - after the line had closed, with the last few being finished off but already ordered by other countries. The IAF had initiated the process in time, but the MoD bureaucrats then sat on it for ages until it was too late. And despite it being too late, still carried on with it until the Americans said "sorry, no longer possible".

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As they are ordering an additional 4 P-8s, and have C-17s, they must be happy with Boeing's service support. Perhaps it is time for them to revisit the Superhornet before production ends and possibly work out some kind of joint production.
I'm still wondering how those orders happened. Actually ordering and getting equipment in a fairly decent amount of time? Unheard of in Indian military procurement!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I'm still wondering how those orders happened. Actually ordering and getting equipment in a fairly decent amount of time? Unheard of in Indian military procurement!
Likely maximum desperation. I was surprised when we managed to get C-17s, 130Js, and CH-147s given our flawed procurement system in a timely manner. We were totalling lacking in decent transport when we committed to the Afganistan mission. Nothing like a crisis to get things moving!:D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
India has started a new program for a single engined fighter to be built in India but based on foreign technology. No RFI has been issued, instead an invitation has been given privately, via Indian embassies, to "some overseas participants". It will be interesting to see how long this program manages to take and if anything actually eventuates from it.

Ranger25

Staff member
India has started a new program for a single engined fighter to be built in India but based on foreign technology. No RFI has been issued, instead an invitation has been given privately, via Indian embassies, to "some overseas participants". It will be interesting to see how long this program manages to take and if anything actually eventuates from it.
Should be interesting. Looking like a Grippen Vs F16 bloc70 competition

India Launches Global Search for Single-Engine Fighter Jets

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
India has started a new fighter competition. This time it is for a western single engine fighter which really only leaves the LM F16 Block 70 and the SAAB Gripen E to fight it out. Both Lockheed Martin and SAAB have offered TOT and to manufacture their aircraft in India with LM going one further by stating that it would also include all export orders from the Indian production facility. SAAB would have problems with offering Indian export rights because they have given those to the Brazilians. 200 aircraft are possible for the Indian order alone.

Vulcan

From Lockheed's perspective they could offer up a very promising package, realistically it's probably the largest order the F-16 would get in its remaining lifetime.

Saab has an alternative approach in that the Indian Navy has canned their navalised Tejas and desires an alternative, Brazil is also reportedly interested in a navalised Gripen for their carrier and any hypothetical replacement. They also (i believe) are the design authority and sole producer of the tandem Gripen F.

Very much a case of 3 way negotiations in that instance.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
Is there a way to find by which route the other C-17s were delivered? I couldn't find a source on Qatar getting the last C-17.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Is there a way to find by which route the other C-17s were delivered? I couldn't find a source on Qatar getting the last C-17.
I used to have the link but can't find it at the moment. For the longest time, I have run across many links stating the last whitetail C-17 was somewhere in Texas awaiting final fit out and delivery to Qatar. I'm sure it was lying around for quite sometime and was surprised no other international C-17 grabbed it. I guess Qatar must have put a down payment to secure it. Canada should have asked for it to be packaged with junior's stupid Superhornet purchase.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It isn't like India wasn't given plenty of warning production was ending or anything...
No kidding! I guess LM and Saab won't be expecting any rapid decision on a single engine fighter from India based on recent purchase horror shows. I shouldn't complain, India takes the heat off our $hit procurement performance as of late.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
I found it here. IMO, India could save tons of $ by buying new IL-76s from Russia: $218M vs.$49M, 169M difference, not counting operational costs that, all things considered, are also less for the latter. 1 C-17 costs as much as ~3.5 IL-76s, & they could order more IL-76s to make up for some loss of capability!