Ideas, suggestions, etc. for Defence Talk?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hi Folks,

I just want to get a general idea on these three items, would really appreciate if you can take some time to answer:

1. How did you found about Defence Talk?
  2. Your first impression?
  3. Thoughts on promoting the site?
I could put up a pop up survey script but that is just annoying and I don't like it and for the same reason I think DT visitors and members won't either.

Thanks, enjoy!

pepsi

Re: How did you found out about Defence Talk?

1. I actually came across this site twice before i signed up, the first time i was just looking for military photos, mostly ones of collins class subs

The second time i had searched on google for collins class subs because i wanted to read about them, and i found a few forums where gf0012 had posted, and i ended up reading his comments about them on this one (the other one was a weird layout, like a long message board type one).

2. My first impression was that its a relatively small forum but with a lot of knowledgable people on it, and that its layout was pretty similar to most forums ive seen on the net (the whole phpbb type thing).

3. My only idea for promoting the site would be to maybe add more media or give the media part a more user friendly layout, i think that could get more people visiting, but then again, i guess that puts a lot of stress on the servers and stuff

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interesting. DT does get a lot of hits from search engines.

We use to have phpbb forum but that has changed since last december.

What part isn't user friendly? How do you think it should be?

thanks

pepsi

I might have used the wrong word, its not exactly un-user friendly, but more kind of slow to browse, because the entire page reloads for each image, i thought maybe something where only the image reloads could change that, but i don't know if thats even possible without going into flash or something lol

Its not really a bad thing, its just if you are in a dir with a lot of photos, its kind of off putting when you realise the entire page is going to reload every time

Its not really that bad though, its just all i could think of, its hard to find much wrong with the place :D

machina

1. Google search for something I forget.
2. I thought there were some interesting discussions that went deeper than 'Su-37 is teh pretteh'
3. I'd like it if the large header for the site didn't show up on every page. Also, the buttons on it are partly replicated on box that contains the navigation tree and user cp. Maybe have the big header show up on the main page and have a smaller header for individual threads, and simplify the buttons situation.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member

machina said:
3. I'd like it if the large header for the site didn't show up on every page. Also, the buttons on it are partly replicated on box that contains the navigation tree and user cp. Maybe have the big header show up on the main page and have a smaller header for individual threads, and simplify the buttons situation.
This is something that is being worked out and should be out soon!

What did you mean by the replicated on box that contains the navigation tree and user cp. ?

Thanks!

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer

WebMaster said:
This is something that is being worked out and should be out soon!

What did you mean by the replicated on box that contains the navigation tree and user cp. ?

Thanks!
I think he meant the box which is between the top forum header and the forums. i.e. the ones which contains the navigation tree and User CP link. So basically he wants the 'News', 'Gallery', ' Forums' etc. buttons to be replicated on that box and the top header to be entirely removed from the sub pages.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member

I am working on that actually...

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member

Okay, you have two more options with the forum theme which would also apply to the Gallery area, see attached image.

I hope it makes browsing the forum better. ;)

kingkobra

Banned Member

I found about this nice site and it's pictures by ( google.com )

rukat

Through google.com as I was searching for articles on Eurofighter Typhoon. Have visited the site quite a number of times since. Found that some of the forum members are very knowledgable so decided to join.

Ender89

I was looking for military strategy sites to increase my knowledge on the subject, I came about this site through a search engine and decide to take a look and this site was what I was looking for it's awesome!!:D
a good way to increase site activity is connect it to other military site that does get a good amount of traffic.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member

I was Told by Yasin Khan,I was intrested in defence and he saw me searching me on web in my cafe so he told me about defence talk :)

ThunderBolt

I found this web while searching for pictures and was sort of amazed by the amount that you guys had + its very easy to find them. I signed up for this because it wouldn't let me zoom in:confused: so i thought sure its free why not:D .I didn't find out about the forums part untill much later maybe 6-8 months after i signed up. Finally to make this better:smash i would say that you guys should add more videos and some database on infantry weapons:gun .

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member

Thanks. Videos and database is slowly being filled up. It's an on going project so it will take some time.

It took you 6 months to find the forum? Why?

ThunderBolt

I don't exactly know my self, i was more into looking for pictures then be serious talking about wars and other stuff plus maybe i think i didn't really "see" the command buttons other then pictures. I think that should be it.

Maverickjag

1) I heard about DT when I was surfing online, looking for strategy/tactics forumns.

2) I really liked DT from the start I wish I could get on more often. This is where I spend a lot of my internet time.

3) Uh, I'm not sure about that one.

turin

1.) Funny story actually. I was searching for a german forum with a very similar name and Google listed this site first. So now I am reading and discussing on both sites. :D

2.) I appreciated that there are several users around, who obviously have some insight into the topic from a professional point of view. Also I liked the fact that this forum with its emphasis on countries and events in Asia complements my other sources for military-related discussion. Here I think I get an overview about the american and asian perspective (although I am aware that many european users are present as well).

3.) Simple. Keep up the high levels of profound and cultivated discussion and the good moderation/administration. ;)

oskarm

1. I was looking for info about PT-91M configuration (mayby I suprise you, I didn't use Google :p: ). My first post was about PT-91 used by polish army.

2. Lots informations from exotic south asia region (exotic from my point of view). Few good members, who's knowlage is above average level (eg. Aussie Digger). Good e-mail newsletter.

MilSpex

Hi I`m new here, great forum, looking forward to learning lots from you guys and perhaps contributing something along the way.

I found this site while I was trying to prove to friends that Abrams tanks had been captured by the former Iraqi regime during the March `03 invasion. A search brought up your page and those great pictures (which I remembered seeing some of on BBC world during coverage of the invasion). My friends were surprised. Great stuff, thanks!

Brief self intro:

I`ve always been interested in this stuff. My Dad worked in Australian defence As a kid I used to read his copies of Jane`s Defence Weekly cover to cover when he brought them home (I was a strange kid!). I`ve never been in the military or consider myself physically or mentally prepared to become a soldier but I have a huge respect for military personnel and the job they do. Plus military hardware is just plain cool, right!?

I`m an Australian but live and work in Japan. I`m involved in an Airsoft Military Simulation group in my area. Great bunch of Japanese guys who love this stuff too. I currently have a rough US SF kit procured entirely on eBay! Its great to play these games and get an idea of what tactics would work in real life.

I have a US air base near where I live, Misawa: http://www.misawa.af.mil/
Flying out of there are two squadrons of the Block 50 model F-16CJ and F-16DJ Fighting Falcons. They are truly awesome to watch turning and burning at low altitude over my tiny Japanese town.(I`m sure they`re not supposed to fly that low and are noisy as hell but I love it). I might be going with my Airsoft friends to the base open day in the spring and hopefully take some pictures for you guys.

Looking forward to reading through more of this site!