Germany to acquire F-35 for the Luftwaffe

Onkel

I beg this won´t happen. If Germany will feel the need to have a stealthier Aircraft, it will shurely search for an european partner to build common european platform. Perhaps France or Sweden, perhaps some junior partners. The last non-european Airframe bought by Germany was the F 4 back in 1974 even this plane should just close the gap, till the european Fighter was available. All right, they bought some P 3 from the nederlands and pimped it with EADS-Antennas - but it was very cheap to get. And shure, the EUROHAWK bases on global hawk, perhaps they allso will buy some reapers, but these are small numbers, i guess again to close some gaps untill they can build their own big UAVs-

swerve

Super Moderator
I would not be too surprised if Germany change their mind and purhcase a few F-35, perhaps in the post-2020 time frame. Once F-35 is flying I think it will be hard to claim a first-rate air-force without having some 5. gen a/c in the inventory.

V
I think the plan is to buy stealthy UCAVs for the "first day of war, kick the door in" role. There are major development programmes underway.

Onkel

I think the plan is to buy stealthy UCAVs for the "first day of war, kick the door in" role. There are major development programmes underway.
Yes, there are:

"The DLR-project UCAV-2010 aims at providing numerical and experimental procedures for the development and assessment of technologies for Unmanned Combat Air Vehicles (abbr. UCAV). Key tasks of the project are the identification of relevant technologies as well as the provision of numerical and experimental procedures for the development of UCAV’s. With the technologies and procedures provided, one is enabled to:

to evaluate whether a given UCAV-configuration satisfies the requirements of a mission
to design UCAV-configurations on the basis of mission constraints
to enhance and improve UCAV-relevant technologies
to devise enhanced methods for the UCAV-design and the application of UCAV-specific technologies
Specifications and forecasts from Germany’s Federal Ministry of Defence (BMVg), from Germany’s Federal Office of Defence Technology and Procurement (BWB) and from the industry for defence technology are the basis for the project. Some of the major prognoses and specifications are:

possible air force demand for UCAV’s from 2020
estimated development time: 8-10 years
intended use: airborne and onshore combat of mobile targets
maximum survivability through:
high manoeuvrability (higher load factors compared to manned aircrafts)
passive counteractive measures (minimal signatures for radar / infrared / acoustics)
Prototypes resulting either from experiments or from the pre-design phase and the detailed design phase may be used to demonstrate the use of UCAV-relevant technologies. Thus, one objective of the project is to develop an integrated, multi-disciplinary prototype of an unmanned combat air vehicle that contains various optimised technologies. This prototype will be tested and evaluated through a virtual flight.

Overall, the objectives aim to devise enhanced technologies for the development of unmanned combat air vehicles, "best practice" methods for the pre-design phase and the detailed design phase as well as the provision of software for multi-disciplinary computation of high-order methods."
http://www.dlr.de/sc/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-5141/8654_read-11626/

Onkel

German UCAV
Like BAE, the German part of EADS Military Aircraft Systems developed
a flying proof-of-concept small UCAV in secret and without collaboration. When EADS finally revealed the Barracuda, the company said it proved that it is “able to independently develop and test a demonstrator for future agile, autonomous and network-capable unmanned mission systems.”

But four months after the sole Barracuda first flew in Spain, it crashed in September 2006, the result of a software failure. Meanwhile, EADS officials sought partners and said the Barracuda project was aimed at producing a reconnaissance vehicle rather than one dedicated to combat, though the air vehicle had obvious potential for both missions. No partners were forthcoming.

So in 2007, EADS developed and showed its concept of a modular “Advanced UAV,” obviously less stealthy than the Barracuda, with different configurations for loitering, high-altitude surveillance and low-altitude flight over enemy territory. The German government sought to involve France and Spain in this project, since all three countries had stated requirements for a medium-altitude long endurance (MALE) UAV for reconnaissance.

Last December, EADS announced that the three countries had agreed to fund a
15-month risk reduction study, led by Germany. Each country is providing ?21 billion ($32.3 billion). An EADS spokesman told AIN that the company’s military air business units in all three countries were contributing to the study. Also involved, and studying a radar sensor, are the EADS Defence Electronics business unit, plus Thales of France and Indra of Spain.

However, the Barracuda is not dead. Last December, EADS also revealed that it is leading a research-and-technology program funded by the German defense ministry for an “agile UAV within network-centric environments [NCE].” Finland had agreed to participate and other European nations, “such as Switzerland,” were also welcome to join.

The Agile UAV-NCE project will last until 2013, will cost ?43 billion ($66.2 billion), and will include flight trials of reconnaissance and sensor-to-shooter missions. An EADS spokesman told AIN that this UAV “would look like the Barracuda.”
http://www.ainonline.com/news/singl...or-collaboration-ucav-efforts-split-in-three/

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And shure, the EUROHAWK bases on global hawk, perhaps they allso will buy some reapers, but these are small numbers, i guess again to close some gaps untill they can build their own big UAVs-
Eurohawk is not meant to be a stopgap, but a solution. Although it will likely be supplemented by a smaller system in the future to replace the middle tier still provided by Tornado Recce.

Reapers won't be bought, the financial department of the Bundeswehr seems pretty much settled on IAI Heron-TP (Eitan), which is slightly larger than the Predator/Reaper.

Any future UCAV will - under current considerations - be bought as a straight replacement of the Tornado ECR, and will very likely focus on an initial-entry and SEAD/DEAD role.

Vivendi

To me it seems that quite a lot of development is needed before UCAVs are ready, and this again implies that it will take a long time to get an operational system, but I may be wrong.

If it takes a very long time, there may still be a need to go for F-35s for Germany. Alternatively, Germany may have to accept they lack important capabilities in an increasingly hostile environment, until the UCAV technology matures.

These are my (non-expert) thoughts, anyway :)

V

Onkel

Oh, Germany knew ten or fifteen Years ago about it´s lack of Stealth-technology. I don´t know the reasons, but since then nobody seemed to bother. Apart from Barracuda most design were not made for stealthiness. Taurus and all those small UAVs are cost-optiized, not stealthoptimized. Only our navy seems to care for stealth

swerve

Super Moderator
The predecessors to EADS Deutschland were working on RCS reduction in the 1980s. Had a fighter project going for a while, using F-117 style facets, before anyone outside the USA knew about the F-117. The principles are, of course, not at all secret.

I would think that the limiting factor is money, not skills.

oldsoak

Lampyridae

- the Europeans have had quite some experience in stealth - but as swerve points out - money ( and the fact there was no pan-european approach ) limited its application.

swerve

Super Moderator
The europeans are in the dark on the new stealth technology The Germanys signed agreement in order to get the F-35 best believe that
Justone, check the date of the first post in this thread, & read the responses. It was a joke. There is no agreement. Germany is not buying F-35.

As for "europeans are in the dark on the new stealth technology " - look up Replica, Taranis, Neuron, & Lampyridae. The last was a 1980s project, so should not be taken as representative of the current level of European stealth technology, of course.

METEORSWARM

Drones

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjvF7VD2AD4"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

minute 0.24

demostration tecnology.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf8WOZnTcX0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

justone

Banned Member
Justone, check the date of the first post in this thread, & read the responses. It was a joke. There is no agreement. Germany is not buying F-35.

As for "europeans are in the dark on the new stealth technology " - look up Replica, Taranis, Neuron, & Lampyridae. The last was a 1980s project, so should not be taken as representative of the current level of European stealth technology, of course.
i read the first tread all I'm saying is that if it was going to happen some agreement would be signed i should have said that at first

The only reason Europe is behind on Stealth of financial not about the ability to produce aircraft. Stealth is extremely expensive and Europe has opted to not have it as a main feature but I'm fairly sure they could have made the Eurofighter stealthy if they had plumped up the extra funds for R&D.

Saying Europe doesn't have the ability is rather insulting as we also have a fair few clever people who could work out how stealth works. Whether or not we have the manufacturing capability to build them is another matter and it's that that would be the main stumbling block I feel as it's not like WW2 where you can just tell a car factory to swap to building Spitfires or Mustangs as I'm sure stealth tech uses a fair few unique fabrication techniques that would be extremely expensive to build up from the point we are now.

swerve

Super Moderator
Peter,

stealthy aircraft are being constructed in Europe as we type. They're not manned, but they're stealthy. Numerous stealthy features have been incorporated into Rafale, Typhoon & Gripen. The basic shapes are not stealthy, but they were fixed, more or less, too early. The special manufacturing techniques (e.g. RAM) are all available in Europe. They've not been incorporated as much as in the F-22 & F-35 because of cost & timing. The USA was doing it before Europe, & spent the money to make it work. We're doing that now - but we're not designing new manned aircraft.

METEORSWARM

Europe look for uva stealth and ucas stealth hight altitude,for joined to air forces,with typhoon (near 600 in Europe),rafale and gripen + f 35 b,uva and ucas 100km to front typhoon rafale and gripen and f-35.Typhoon,rafale excellent arquery extra low range + f-35b.

You want disuassion easy,use meteor(250km),change cargue explosive by nuclear charge and FUSION SENSOR HEAT MISILE,you have nuclear BVRAAM,dont need high precision,high impact,destroy multiples targets,can launched 200km vs air base,base military,the weapom first and last day.:eek:nfloorl:

Its joke:cool:

Verstandwaffe

The europeans are in the dark on the new stealth technology The Germanys signed agreement in order to get the F-35 best believe that

Myabe, maybe not, maybe you would get as surprised as US when in Germany paying visit to MBB, US officials found something strange, less hyped than "glorious" american technology but very similar in design, the Lampyridae.

This thread was a joke (right?) but maybe if Germany brings back plans for a LPD who knows maybe some VTOL JSF could be joining the Bundeswehr