Germany to acquire F-35 for the Luftwaffe

Falstaff

This may be a bit surprising for most of us, but Germany's defence secretary Jung in a parliamentary debate (broadcasted by TV) just stated that Germany will buy F-35s as a replacement for the remaining Tornado fleet in the past-2015 timeframe. He said that chancellor Merkel talked about the matter with president Obama during their meeting last week. And the interesting thing is, as Germany would never accept a plane they can't modify to their requirements, the delivered F-35s will not be completely outfitted but be ready to be stuffed with German and European stuff, e.g. a European AESA etc. The German F-35 is to be named the "Eurolightning" and will have a sophisticated set of non-lethal or less than lethal weapons designed to provide a whole new level of peacekeeping.

Apart from the fact that this was rumoured for quite a long time, this makes sense to me. At least the F-35 will be able to fulfill the Tornado ECR-role and add a few things. And a completely indigenous Tornado replacement would take some time...

Onkel

Yes, but sadly they will aquire just 50 Eurolightnings to replace 85 remaining Tornados. Maybe they want to replace the others with drones?

winnyfield

... The German F-35 is to be named the "Eurolightning" and will have a sophisticated set of non-lethal or less than lethal weapons designed to provide a whole new level of peacekeeping.
:p: Modern Germany

First a peacekeeping version of a Leopard 2 MBT now a fighter bomber.

Onkel

From Germanys Air Force Site:

By 2015, therefore, a new electronic warfare aircraft is scheduled to make its appearance – one based on the F 35 airframe, with strong self-defense capabilities as well as electronic attack potential. The so called "Eurolightning" is based on the "Joint Strike Fighter" F 35 and has 90% commonality with its counterpart, just as its predecessor the ECR-Tornado was based on the robust Tornado IDS fighter bomber. At present, the Eurolightning is slated to be the only dedicated electronic warfare aircraft in the Luftwaffe´s future force – and since the USA is the only western country with such aircraft by now, it would become the sole source of tactical jamming support for NATO air forces as a whole.

The F-35 Lightning II is a major multinational program which is intended to produce an “affordably stealthy” multi-role strike fighter that will have three variants: the F-35A conventional version for the US Air Force et. al.; the F-35B Short Take-Off, Vertical Landing for the US Marines, British Royal Navy, et. al.; and the F-35C conventional carrier-launched version for the US Navy.

The Eurolightning will use the F-35A conventional version as its base, and add a new mission system developed by EADS, including a revolutionary non lethal weapon system for peacekeeping operations.

http://www.luftwaffe.de/portal/a/lu...HNBY3Rpb24vJTB0cmlnZ2VyU2VhcmNoLmRv#7_20_1AG6
Sounds a little bit expensive. What is more, I´d prefere a solution based on the Typhoon. There´s no need for the expensive F 35.

Vivendi

:eek:nfloorl: Nice one.
I would like to add that a Norwegian Newspaper reported this morning that Norway will not buy F-35 after all.

I strongly suspect we will be getting the German Tornadoes. It all fits together now...

Edit: I cannot offer a link since I cannot find it on the electronic version of the newspaper, seems it is only in today's printed version...
V

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It really took me by surprise when I read that in the newspaper this morning. But in the end it is just a logical step forward to a capable Tornado replacement.

Good decision by our government!

A

Aussie Digger

From Germanys Air Force Site:

Sounds a little bit expensive. What is more, I´d prefere a solution based on the Typhoon. There´s no need for the expensive F 35.
Actually, most people expect that the Typhoon will cost more to acquire than the F-35A...

Either way, the new "mission system" will have to be designed and integrated onto the platform of choice, so what is likely to be cheaper then?

Just as I've argued over in the "Spanish Air Force" thread, adding a few more Typhoons, to an already large Typhoon based inventory, adds little overall capability enhancement.

Adding a VLO fighter aircraft TO that already capable fighter force, adds significantly GREATER capability, IMHO. Not that I think it will happen...

Last edited by a moderator:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Almost as good as the "Violet Bumper Sticker" (for female drivers) that 28 (!) German radio stations were jointly doing today.

swerve

Super Moderator
Did anybody bother to check the date?
Of course. What do you think my - and some other - replies meant?

I hope Falstaff doesn't mind, but I took the liberty of re-posting his missive elsewhere. I credited him, of course. One person did jump on it as justifying his belief that all the Eurofighter partners are desperate to get out of buying any more & want F-35 instead. :eek:nfloorl:

Vivendi

Related news from the Vatican:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ae95ec0e0-4020-48b8-bdd8-3328397be010

NATO and the Holy See will now develop a PfP Individual Partnership Programme detailing their cooperation. This will concentrate on developing interoperability between the Swiss Guard and NATO forces. It is not clear whether this will require replacement of the Swiss Guard's pikes. The Vatican has also offered to host a centre of excellence for chaplaining as well as an exercise next year dubbed Cooperative Catholic in which chaplains from NATO countries will practice their skills in built up areas.

And just in case anybody are still in doubt with regards to my previous post in this excellent thread:

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftenposten.no%2Fnyheter%2Firiks%2Farticle3009040.ece&sl=no&tl=en

;)

V

Falstaff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope Falstaff doesn't mind, but I took the liberty of re-posting his missive elsewhere. I credited him, of course. One person did jump on it as justifying his belief that all the Eurofighter partners are desperate to get out of buying any more & want F-35 instead. :eek:nfloorl:
No, i don't mind. On the contrary, I always wanted to start an internet myth :D

Thanks to y'all for taking part in this little april joke, I'm a littlebit disappointed though that nobody actually fell for it... due to the quality of this forum's members I guess.

karan583

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, i don't mind. On the contrary, I always wanted to start an internet myth :D

Thanks to y'all for taking part in this little april joke, I'm a littlebit disappointed though that nobody actually fell for it... due to the quality of this forum's members I guess.
I fell for it. :(

Vivendi

I fell for it. :(
I would probably have believed it, if Falstaff did not write about Germany replacing a lot of the F-35 stuff with their own, including the AESA radar..... Now that sounds rather unbelievable....

Also, on second thought, given the current commitment to the Eurofighter in combination with a financial crisis, the whole announcement was rather fishy, OTOH Falstaff is normally a very reliable person, so perhaps he could have fooled me if he had skipped the replacement part. :)

I would not be too surprised if Germany change their mind and purhcase a few F-35, perhaps in the post-2020 time frame. Once F-35 is flying I think it will be hard to claim a first-rate air-force without having some 5. gen a/c in the inventory.

V