General Naval News

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
But I do note that they state the vessel will have CAMM MR (medium range) with an expected range of 100Kms and it can if required be fitted with the CAMM ER (extended range) with an expected range of 45kms.
It won't be fitted with either, the item is not funded. The ship (singular, as only one will be outfitted) will have basic CAMM missiles only.

In case you mean the MR vs ER, that's not a typo.

SolarisKenzo

Romania officially scrap 1.2 billions deal with France after joining EU Corvettes program.

koxinga

koxinga

Romania officially scrap 1.2 billions deal with France after joining EU Corvettes program.
There are some rumours that Romania is interested in a couple of used LCS; the European Patrol Corvette project is only expected to deliver the first vessel around the 2030 mark.

SolarisKenzo

There are some rumours that Romania is interested in a couple of used LCS; the European Patrol Corvette project is only expected to deliver the first vessel around the 2030 mark.
But that's actually very different, Gowind-class ( which they scrapped in favour of EPC ) were to be built brand new in Romania and wouldn't have come until 2028-2029.

Used LCS could certainly be available sooner.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

China already certified indigenous marine diesel engine for Submarine. This is what they're offering to Thai's and Pakistan's Submarine order, as German block MTU on Chinese export. This is also hope by China to give them more options toward submarine export markets.

Sandhi Yudha

China already certified indigenous marine diesel engine for Submarine. This is what they're offering to Thai's and Pakistan's Submarine order, as German block MTU on Chinese export. This is also hope by China to give them more options toward submarine export markets.
It is totally understandable that Germany doesn't want to sell its advanced dieselsubmarine engines to china. But it is also logic that china will use its own engines, which are already used in their Type 39A submarines, for the export (S-26T) boats.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), which keeps track of arms transfers worldwide, MTU gave China more than 100 of its engines for destroyers and submarines between 1993 and 2020 despite the EU arms embargo.
understandable that Germany doesn't want to sell its advanced dieselsubmarine engines to china.
However German sold hundreds of MTU Diesels so far to PLAN Submarine and Surface ships. The way I see it it is more on export market competitions. Thailand is an export market that Euro MIC like the Germans also want to target.

Sandhi Yudha

However German sold hundreds of MTU Diesels so far to PLAN Submarine and Surface ships. The way I see it it is more on export market competitions. Thailand is an export market that Euro MIC like the Germans also want to target.
With other words, china already got enough chances to reverse engineer MTU-engines and steal German technology.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The ability of Chinese to reverse engineering other people tech, is something that many OEM seems underestimate until it was too late. Some people smeer China ability to reverse engineer as mere abilities as copies builders.

Interestingly those who smeer that abilities, are mostly non engineer. Engineer and scientists will know how difficult it is to reverse engineer something. I used to also smeer Chinese as just copy builders, until one of my industrial owner client shown how difficult it is to replicate Chinese strategies.

Not everyone can do proper reverse engineering and improvise that to your own design. In which why many others newly industrial nations still not able to achieve what China done.

koxinga

With other words, china already got enough chances to reverse engineer MTU-engines and steal German technology.
They have legal channels, like MAN/SEMT Pielstick which gave them a license and have been producing them for 2 decades. So no surprise they have the tech

The question therefore is quality. See, PLAN themselves were using German imported MTU diesels on their YUAN class submarines, instead of the CHD620V16H6. That tells you something about the quality (perceived or real, your guess is as good as mine).

The Chinese copy engine can function, no doubt, but it is about the acoustic signature that it emits. Is it close or equal to German buit engine? This is probably the reason for the hesitation by the Thais.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

2023081414270297488.jpg

Assessment from Bemil Chosun on DPRK newest and largest surface Frigate (more in line as Corvette base on latest current trend). Call Yalu River class. Off course nothing to compare with neighbors surface ships, but for a broke nation still an accomplishment.

Don't give illusions it will stand a chance to ROKN Frigates/Destroyers on open confrontation. However I do sense it is not build for that. It is more likely hit and run border skirmish. The article also talk on latest DPRK SSM and Torpedoes.

Note:
My personal opinion though, compare to other Western 'pariah' nations like Myanmar and Iran latest Frigates/Corvettes, they're build on similar size level, and seems on similarly operational concepts.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

View attachment 50733

Assessment from Bemil Chosun on DPRK newest and largest surface Frigate (more in line as Corvette base on latest current trend). Call Yalu River class. Off course nothing to compare with neighbors surface ships, but for a broke nation still an accomplishment.

Don't give illusions it will stand a chance to ROKN Frigates/Destroyers on open confrontation. However I do sense it is not build for that. It is more likely hit and run border skirmish. The article also talk on latest DPRK SSM and Torpedoes.

Note:
My personal opinion though, compare to other Western 'pariah' nations like Myanmar and Iran latest Frigates/Corvettes, they're build on similar size level, and seems on similarly operational concepts.
And now we have here some interesting images of this new highly advanced multirole stealth corvette (for North-Korean standard). It is capable of carrying and deploying strategic cruise missiles, and it is of course without any doubt designed and constructed under direct supervision of the Supreme Leader.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

View attachment 50733

Note:
Is it me or is that an open gun shield on the main gun? It does look that way which is fairly primitive.

Sandhi Yudha

Is it me or is that an open gun shield on the main gun? It does look that way which is fairly primitive.
Yes, it is indeed not really a stealthy and advanced design. This old 100 mm gun is maybe recycled from a retired Najin-class frigate.

Something else...

After years of huge acquisitions, Poland plans to add another large procurement on the shopping list. The contract includes the delivery of “several hundred” NSM missiles, command vehicles, launchers and other vehicles. Deliveries will be made between 2026 and 2032.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Three dead after being washed off submarine when wave crashed into it (msn.com)
Three Sailors are dead after seven crew members of a RSA Submarine were swept off the hull by a wave. All seven were found but despite all efforts two men and one woman died. The Sub was exercising with a Helicopter at the time and a surface swimmer from the Helicopter is also in Hospital.:(
:(

May they RIP.

There are no flowers on a sailor’s grave
No lilies on an ocean wave
The only tribute is the seagulls sweep
And the tears upon a loved one’s cheek
Fear not for those who go down to the sea in ships
For as sunset draws near and dawn breaks afar
We remember those who have crossed the bar