General Naval News

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Few days old, video from Thai Navy official channel. The type 71 LPD (HTMS Chang) enter Thai Naval Base in Chanburi. Being greet by flotila of Thai Navy vessels including their Spanish build carrier and Singapore build LST.

Sandhi Yudha

So it seems that Romania plans to/has ordered two Scorpène submarines (and 54 Abrams M1A2 MBTs). The two submarines will cost €2 billion and amd additional one billion is for the MBTs.
(Correct me of im wrong, i don't understand the language)

swerve

Super Moderator
Buying 48 NSM "rockets anti-ship of type NSM" is mentioned ("achiziția a 48 de rachete anti-navă de tip NSM"), plus two ship sets of launchers, CMS, 3D radar, IFF, for 375 mn euros. Requires final parliamentary approval (aprobarea).

I remember visiting Romania & finding that I could understand some written Romanian (from school French & Spanish, plus knowing some Portuguese & Italian from visiting Italy, Portugal & Brazil). Couldn't speak any or understand what people were saying to save my life, though.

Sandhi Yudha

After much delay the Armed Forces of Ukraine commissioned the final Project 58155 Gyurza-M (Viper) class gunboat named "Bucha" on 26 mei 2023. The Gyurza-M type patrolboat displaces 54 tons and measures 23,0×4,8×1,0 meters. Powered by two diesels, it can reach a speed of 25 knots.

The Malaysian coast guard has detained a Chinese bulk cargo ship carrying unexploded shells that may have been looted from United Kingdom Royal Navy World War II wrecks HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. Big chance that similar chinese vessels stole the wreckages from the Netherlands navy which sunk during the Slag om de Javazee.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier Video on MADEX 2023, but I posted here, as this is on IAI booth there. No info it will be choosen by ROKN, thus decided more on this thread. As this is showcases on what IAI already prepare to be marketed toward exports.

Interesting concept by IAI on loitering munition base on land base Harpy and Harop. However as Ukrainian War progressing, I do see loitering munition have difficulties to work as being promise facing strong EW opponents.

However considering not all potential adversaries can provide EW environment as Russian do, then it is very interesting concept for those Navy facing mostly subversive actions in their EEZ.

IAI concept on underwater drones for me is potentially more problematic for opponents then their loitering munition.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Xavier Video on MADEX 2023, but I posted here, as this is on IAI booth there. No info it will be choosen by ROKN, thus decided more on this thread. As this is showcases on what IAI already prepare to be marketed toward exports.

Interesting concept by IAI on loitering munition base on land base Harpy and Harop. However as Ukrainian War progressing, I do see loitering munition have difficulties to work as being promise facing strong EW opponents.

However considering not all potential adversaries can provide EW environment as Russian do, then it is very interesting concept for those Navy facing mostly subversive actions in their EEZ.

IAI concept on underwater drones for me is potentially more problematic for opponents then their loitering munition.
Yes it looks quite interesting and dangerous.

Sandhi Yudha

A contract has been signed to refit and modernize the Nigerian Navy's flagship, MEKO 360-class frigate "NNS Aradu F89", which was built by the German Blohm & Voss Shipyard and commissioned in 1982. The contract also includes delivery of a new 57-meter Tuzla-class patrol boat. Until now the Tuzla Class patrol boats are only in use by Turkiye and Turkmenistan.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I put it in here, and not RN thread as it is still not official Type 32, but more on Babcock offer on Type 32 concept. Also Babcock and PAL in Indonesia now also working with strech 2m from standard Arrowhead 140/Type 31 hull, which it could be this is base also on similar design with this Babcock Type 32 concept.

Babcock call the concept as Adaptable Strike Frigate (ASF), which shown B possition will be use by VLS and not another gun. Also strech in middle section to enlarge multiporpose area. I suspect that strech middle area can also use for more VLS, in case customers preference on that area.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I put it in here, and not RN thread as it is still not official Type 32, but more on Babcock offer on Type 32 concept. Also Babcock and PAL in Indonesia now also working with strech 2m from standard Arrowhead 140/Type 31 hull, which it could be this is base also on similar design with this Babcock Type 32 concept.

Babcock call the concept as Adaptable Strike Frigate (ASF), which shown B possition will be use by VLS and not another gun. Also strech in middle section to enlarge multiporpose area. I suspect that strech middle area can also use for more VLS, in case customers preference on that area.
If I was going to put a plug in it, I would make it longer and that would allow for a further 16 Mk-41 VLS cells abaft the bridge that wouldn't cause problems with the topside mission bays. Also if i was the RN I would go with an existing modular system, such as the SH Cube, rather than spend money and time, designing and field a bespoke system that may not necessarily be viable.

Danes replacing their two Absalon Class frigates? Those ships were commissioned in 2004 and 2005, making them 19 and 18 years old respectively. They would be a good buy for a navy.

swerve

Super Moderator
I don't think the Absalons are going anywhere for a while. They're currently scheduled to receive towed sonar arrays & some other improvements in the next couple of years. Looking at replacements is probably long-term planning.

The Danes are also reviewing their decision to dispose of their submarines without replacement (20 years ago IIRC), & considering whether to buy new subs.

The SH Cube is another Danish idea: StanFlex-type modules but standard shipping container size, & for a wider variety of purposes. I doubt it came out of the blue, but more like something SH staff & the navy had discussed for some time before SH started serious work on it. I can easily imagine cosy chats in pubs. Denmark's a small country.

Oh, & SH is looking at the RN's Maritime Modularity Concept. There's a link to the RN published paper on it on the SH website, under the Cube . . . The Cube – SH Defence

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Another Tweet that shown more pictures on Babcock Type 32 concept model. Shown B site possition now hold 16 Mk41 type VLS.

would make it longer and that would allow for a further 16 Mk-41 VLS cells abaft the bridge that wouldn't cause problems with the topside mission bays.
Yes with 16 option on VLS in B site, You can put theoritically another 48 VLS on same type. Say the front for quad pack shorter range SAM, and can put 48 option for either longer range SAM and Vertical launch SSM or even cruise missiles type.

However with modular configuration you can switch that for larger multi missions bay. Flexible choices as what Babcock advertised.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Another Xavier Video on recently Paris Le Bourget Air Show. This time with MBDA on their Aquila Hypersonic Missile Interceptor. MBDA seems design it competable with current Sylver VLS cells. Something that they hope can be use by multiple Euro Navies.

Put it here and not in Marine National thread, as this is clearly design by MBDA for Euro Markets, and possible other export markets. Potentially those who already familiar with MBDA systems.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Thai Naval Panel seems accepting the changes in contract of Yuan Class Submarine derivatives for Thai Navy. Changes in diesel engine from German MTU to Chinese derivatives seems being accepted as German still did not want to give their engine for Chinese export purpose.

So it will be close to whole China use systems in Chinese build Submarine.

At lakes

Interesting write up on the Polish variant of the A140. But I do note that they state the vessel will have CAMM MR (medium range) with an expected range of 100Kms and it can if required be fitted with the CAMM ER (extended range) with an expected range of 45kms.
I take it that is a printing error or am I missing something.