No lilies on an ocean wave
The only tribute is the seagulls sweep
And the tears upon a loved one’s cheek
Fear not for those who go down to the sea in ships
For as sunset draws near and dawn breaks afar
We remember those who have crossed the bar

swerve

Super Moderator
One of my ancestors was last heard of setting sail for England from his home port in Denmark, Nyborg, 20 October 1831 - "Formodes total forlist, da ingen Efterretninger siden 1831 haves om Skib og Mandskab efter Nyborg Toldkammers" - Presumed total loss, as nothing heard since 1831 of the ship & crew according to Nyborg customs house . . . .
Jacob Rasmussen, 23 May 1805 - after 20 October 1831. Ancestor of my grandmother Rasmussen.

His widow married his younger brother Anders, who despite also being a sailor lived to at least 72.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier video on UAE Navdex 2023 in Abu Dhabi. This video more on UAE indigenous naval industry. Including UAE effort to build their own yard and seems already got export order from Angola on OPV/Corvette. This design based on UAE FAC.

While in this Video also in Navdex, Xavier interview Naval Group on their Gowind Large Corvete/Light Frigates design for UAE. After Gowind in Egypt, seems they will got another deal with UAE. This increase NG dominance on Middle East, as they already have good traction also with Saudi Arabia.

koxinga

Interesting that Singapore decided to gift the two patrol vessels to Brunei, for EEZ patrols.

I've always wondered if Singapore would do so, especially with claimant countries like Brunei and the Philippines and the possibility that ex-Sing vessels ending up butting heads with the Chinese maritime militia.

There are still five more left. I suspect they will keep a few (3?) as reserves to support the Sentinel class until the MRCVs are operational.

Last edited:

koxinga

Interesting that Singapore decided to gift the two patrol vessels to Brunei, for EEZ patrols.
More info here:

Singapore decommissioned Gallant and Brave in December 2020 and August 2019, respectively. These vessels will be known as KDB As-Siddiq and KDB Al-Faruq , respectively, once commissioned by the RBN.

koxinga

Uruguay has a program to acquire offshore patrol vessels since 2021. The tender was won by China's China Shipbuilding Trading Co., Ltd. (CSTC), against Damen and Kerships on both financial and technical merits.

Presumbly, there was pressure from the US not to go with China. Now, they are exploring the acquisition of used Norwegian Nordkapp OPVs which are being retired. This then creates another political issue since the opposition is questioning why buy used ships. The Nordkapps are pretty good options, IMO, since they have good endurance, was upgraded regularly.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
NK has announced it has a nuclear suicide UUV. Certainly a concern for the SK navy if it has any kind of reasonable endurance and perhaps other navies in the region if NK has a means to deploy it from a sub.

koxinga

Uruguay has a program to acquire offshore patrol vessels since 2021. The tender was won by China's China Shipbuilding Trading Co., Ltd. (CSTC), against Damen and Kerships on both financial and technical merits.

Presumbly, there was pressure from the US not to go with China. Now, they are exploring the acquisition of used Norwegian Nordkapp OPVs which are being retired. This then creates another political issue since the opposition is questioning why buy used ships. The Nordkapps are pretty good options, IMO, since they have good endurance, was upgraded regularly.

Reportedly, this deal has been cancelled and to restart the open procurement process. The whole processes has been a nightmare for the shipyards

SA Defense, which has usually been reliable on South American deals have reported between Chile/UK, France/Uruguay, Argentina/France...

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From AUKUS SSN program to FUKUS program. Seems this is part of deal to include Franchie after Australian cancelled SSK derive Barracuda. Why do in the end got a feeling this will generate Modifications on Barracuda SSN?

Perhaps Barracuda with UK reactors and US VLS?

Note:

It is understood that Canada will not be allowed to join FUKUS for common decency reasons.
This last paragraph on the article really makes me wonder, if Canada really insist on joining, it can still be call AUCKFUS.

Last edited:

Redlands18

From AUKUS SSN program to FUKUS program. Seems this is part of deal to include Franchie after Australian cancelled SSK derive Barracuda. Why do in the end got a feeling this will generate Modifications on Barracuda SSN?

Perhaps Barracuda with UK reactors and US VLS?

Note:

This last paragraph on the article really makes me wonder, if Canada really insist on joining, it can still be call AUCKFUS.
NZ can't join either, won't fit into the Acronym, NZAUKUS, AUKNZUS, AUKUSNZ, just doesn't work. You could have Japan and Canada join and call it JACKUS.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
If Canada going to join also, I don't suggest on using modification of AUKUS acronyms. Anti US can change it to F***USA, as it is still put Frenchie, UK, Canada, US and Australia. Better come out with something else.

However on design base, with some work already done before with Barracuda base SSK between Australia and NG, using Barracuda SSN as base platform could be more economics. Modified with UK reactors, plus putting one module of US VLS, I do think it is doable concept and more economical then using Virginia or Astute base.

Well perhaps that's more appropriate on RAN thread. Put it in this thread cause seems potential this design will be use also by Frenchie. Perhaps even UK.

Add:
Just come to my attention. This is 1st of April.. Is it April Fools..?? If that so, Naval news really get me :oops::eek:

Last edited:

FormerDirtDart

Sea Air Space 2023.
Developments with Insitu Integrator VTOL, BAE systems Mk 38 Mod 3 gun system, Aerovironment Switchblade loitering munitions etc.

Saw that the other day, but didn't dig into it. Was wondering how the VTOL fit into recovery. And on seeing the video had that "Oh, that makes perfect sense" moment.
Seems like a great adaptation of a fielded mature system