General Naval News

Sandhi Yudha

The Portuguese Navy (Marinha Portuguesa) has unveiled a project for a drone mothership or what it calls "plataforma naval multifuncional" (multifunctional naval platform). Portuguese Navy Unveils New Drone Mothership Project - Naval News

View attachment 49471

It doesn't appear to be overly large from the image supplied and I would suggest maybe smaller than the TNI-AL (Indonesian Navy) Makassar Class LPD which is 11,300 tons standard displacement.
That's one of the positive points of UAVs, operations, storage and maintenance is much cheaper than manned aircrafts, and navies will only need mini-LHDs instead of the normal ones.

Turkish Dearsan Shipyard laid the keel of the first of two 76 meter long high-endurance offshore patrol vessels (HE OPV 76) for the Nigerian Navy during a ceremony held at Dearsan's facilities in Istanbul on 16 September 2022. The ships will be equipped with the Sair-2D X-band radar made by the Italian company Gem Elettronica. This radar is designed for both surface and air search and tracking, enabling the ships to provide guidance to helicopters. The Nigerian Navy operates the Agusta A109 and AW139.

This will be the first new large ships for the Nigerian Navy after the delivery of the two Type 056/P18N corvettes.
A single LST-100 ordered from Damen Shipyards is still under construction and was launched last year.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Israeli navy tests Gabriel V missiles on the new Saar 6 ships:

Only known spec about the missile is a 150kg warhead, which was enough to sink the ship.
This is the first time IDF publicly acknowledges it uses the Gabriel V missiles.

Gabriel V missiles are also marketed as Blue Spear and Sea Serpent, with known buyers being Estonia and Finland. Hope I didn't forget anyone.

Sandhi Yudha

Colombia taps Damen for frigate project - Naval News
Colombia is talking to Damen about building Sigma 10514 Frigates, looks at least on paper a good fit for Colombia. Their current fleet has 4x40yo German FS1500 Frigates.
They have now signed the contract.
The SIGMA warships are from a proven design, and if the Colombian Navy configuration of the SIGMA 10514 will be as discribed in the article of 23 Spetember, then it will be a huge step forwards compared to the 4 Type FS 1500 Almirante Padilla class frigates.

According to
the plan is to construct 5 frigates.

And here some news from South-East Europe.

At last, the Hellenic Navy (Πολεμικό Ναυτικό) named and commissioned its seventh and final Roussen-class (Super Vita) fast attack missile craft (FACM), Ypoploiarchos Vlahakos (P-79).

The modernization program of the Hellenic Navy in the late 1990s included the construction of modern missile boats and was signed in January 2000. The construction took place at the Elefsis Shipyards, while Vosper Thornycroft (now BAE Systems Surface Ships) provided the necessary design, logistical support and equipment for the ships.

Serious financial problems for the shipyard and years of financial crisis of the Greek state resulted in a huge delay between the construction of the first four Roussen-class FACs and the last three. The first boat in the class was launched in 2002 and commissioned in 2005, but the sixth boat, despite that it was ordered in 2008 (and it was supposed to be delivered by 2012), was launched in 2015 and joined the Fleet in 2021! And now 22 years after signing the contract, the seventh and last boat is delivered to the Hellenic Navy.

Thats why these Fast Attack Missile Crafts are fitted with modern (for early 2000s standard) sensors and systems: MW08 3D G-band surveillance radar, MIRADOR EO sensor, SCOUT MkII LPI radar and TACTICOS combat management system, all from Hollandse Signaalapparaten (now Thales Nederland).

But in terms of weapon systems, these FACM are quite heavily armed for their size (just 62 m long): an OTO Melara 76 Super Rapid 76mm main gun, 8x Exocet MM40 Block 2/3/3c anti-ship missiles, a 21-RAM surface-to-air (SAM) missile launcher, 2 x OTO Breda 30mm guns and 2 x MG3 machine guns.

Last edited:

FormerDirtDart

I hope to be very much asleep when this stream goes active (9:30 AM UTC), so maybe some of y'all might be up to watch it.

Enlarging the image you can see it's a trimaran, there's USV along side, something that looks to be similar to a CAMCOPTER, it is flying a tethered drone, forward a deck gun, VLS tubes (20+ ?) aft of that, some type of arrays along the side of the superstructure, two possible smaller gun systems port & starboard above the helo deck. landing spot at the top of the superstructure, for the tethered drone

Edit: Added the tweet and switched out the image with the one from the tweet (much higher definition)

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier video on Euronaval day 1, with 3 of surface ships models that seems being the focus on this video:

1. NG PANG modification model. Now 310m with 75K+ Dwt. Two emals catapults but as this is bigger CV then CDG, one of the emals possition bit farther then landing runway. Thus seems in theory really provide abilities of simultanously doing take off and landing operation. Something that so far only been able to do by USN super carriers.

2. BAE system adaptive frigate model. Something that also being prepared for Type 32 Frigate as main consideration.

3. Euro Common Corvettes program. Something that seems being pursue by mostly Italian, Spanish and French yards, as joint platform base. Let's how this developing. Bit sceptics if some parties talk on joint euro platform.

FormerDirtDart

I hope to be very much asleep when this stream goes active (9:30 AM UTC), so maybe some of y'all might be up to watch it.

Enlarging the image you can see it's a trimaran, there's USV along side, something that looks to be similar to a CAMCOPTER, it is flying a tethered drone, forward a deck gun, VLS tubes (20+ ?) aft of that, some type of arrays along the side of the superstructure, two possible smaller gun systems port & starboard above the helo deck. landing spot at the top of the superstructure, for the tethered drone

Edit: Added the tweet and switched out the image with the one from the tweet (much higher definition)

OK
What a god awful presentation (~16 min). Should have just done it in French with subtitles. Any French speakers find the English translation disruptive? The two simultaneous dialogs just made it hard to follow.

OK, now on to thoughts.
The pessimist in me says no chance in hell it ever gets built. But, a great technology/concept development effort. And I get the environmental stuff they are trying to tackle. Let's face it more nations are going to have problems with all the crap spewing from your ships as you transit their EEZ.
I would be interested to see the pump jets and hull vane employed on a similar sized ship to see how it stands up to prolonged use. The hybrid propulsion/power management system is intriguing. But I wonder about the overall cost/benefits in signature/emissions management in surface vessel.
Basic vessel data 5,500 tonnes, 160 m long, beam main hull 14.5 m ; max width 37.2 m, draught 5.2 m
Working bow to stern, 127 mm main; 32 VLS; enclosed amidship torpedo launcher, direct energy weapon(?), loitering weapon launcher(?); pop-up ASM launchers; 2x 40 mm cannon.
Naval Group published a tweet thread with some discussion of their aim and a number of short video clips, most of which is covered in the youtube video (~4 min) of theirs that I'm posting

Last edited:

Redlands18

OK
What a god awful presentation (~16 min). Should have just done it in French with subtitles. Any French speakers find the English translation disruptive? The two simultaneous dialogs just made it hard to follow.

OK, now on to thoughts.
The pessimist in me says no chance in hell it ever gets built. But, a great technology/concept development effort. And I get the environmental stuff they are trying to tackle. Let's face it more nations are going to have problems with all the crap spewing from your ships as you transit their EEZ.
I would be interested to see the pump jets and hull vane employed on a similar sized ship to see how it stands up to prolonged use. The hybrid propulsion/power management system is intriguing. But I wonder about the overall cost/benefits in signature/emissions management in surface vessel.
Basic vessel data 5,500 tonnes, 160 m long, beam main hull 14.5 m ; max width 37.2 m, draught 5.2 m
Working bow to stern, 127 mm main; 32 VLS; enclosed amidship torpedo launcher, direct energy weapon(?), loitering weapon launcher(?); pop-up ASM launchers; 2x 40 mm cannon.
Naval Group published a tweet thread with some discussion of their aim and a number of short video clips, most of which is covered in the youtube video (~4 min) of theirs that I'm posting

<iframe width="1010" height="568" src="
" title="[EURONAVAL 2022] KEY NOTE - Eric Papin introduces Blue Shark" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here is a presentation in French without the English translation.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A new anti-torpedo torpedo from Atlas. A welcome device for naval surface ships if it works as promised. If successful the RCN will want some for the CSC.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A new anti-torpedo torpedo from Atlas. A welcome device for naval surface ships if it works as promised. If successful the RCN will want some for the CSC.
Sea Spider isn't really new in any way.

Development of prototypes started in 2016, first company-internal trials were in 2017. The full operational sensor-to-shooter chain was tested on German Navy ships in 2019, with a Mk37-derived AUV and several DM2A3 heavy torpedoes intercepted by a WTD71 multipurpose trials vessel.

The interest of the RCN is due to this being a joint venture between Atlas Elektronik and Magellan Aerospace (in Ontario), and the product was always aimed at both countries. It should be noted that Atlas Elektronik is a subsidiary of Thyssenkrupp, and for the Canadian side Thyssenkrupp recently merged their local Atlas Elektronik subsidiary into Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems Canada, turning it into just a brand.

Last edited:

STURM

I believe the Turks and others are also currently working on ASW configured UASs so it shouldn't be a problem for those unable to get the S-100s. Just like how there is now a democratisation of armed UASs it will be same with ASW configured ones. The Turks are also working on a jet propelled UAS.

Redlands18

A day 1 roundup from Euronaval 2022 in Paris courtesy of Xavier at Naval News, includes a tour of the latest model of the French Navies next Carrier, also a look at the OSV-315 seabed warfare vessel. BAEs adaptable strike frigate for the Type 32 program, Herne XLAUV, and the EPC European Patrol Corvette.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A day 1 roundup from Euronaval 2022 in Paris courtesy of Xavier at Naval News, includes a tour of the latest model of the French Navies next Carrier, also a look at the OSV-315 seabed warfare vessel. BAEs adaptable strike frigate for the Type 32 program, Herne XLAUV, and the EPC European Patrol Corvette.

Hmmmm..

WHERE have I seen this before ???

Post #307 - 19th october 2022 ???

:cool:

Redlands18

TKMS have a new MEKO design out, the A300. It's got 64 VLS cells, 16 NSM and displaces about 6,000 tonnes. Xavier talks a bit about it at Euronaval 22. He starts with the MEKO 200EN.

EDIT: MEKO A-300 showcases mix of Classic and Next Gen Frigate Capabilities - Naval News
First Look at Poland's new Miecznik Frigate - Naval News
The A-300 was offered to Poland under the Miecznik program but lost out to the Arrowhead 140. The mid to large size Frigate market Will be tough to break into though, You have
FREMM
F-110
Arrowhead 140
MEKO A300
De Severn Provincien
The upcoming Dutch-Belgian Frigate