General Naval News

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier in Saudi during first day of World Defense Show. Frigates for Saudi Navy at least 5 of them already put South Korea HHI and French Naval Group in tight competition. Also in Market Patrol Boats and USV. China seems trying to move into supersonic SSM market.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Xavier in Saudi during first day of World Defense Show. Frigates for Saudi Navy at least 5 of them already put South Korea HHI and French Naval Group in tight competition. Also in Market Patrol Boats and USV. China seems trying to move into supersonic SSM market.
Yes I saw that early hours of this morning. That new French Frigate looks interesting, but what really took my notice was the Navantia NS4K concept light frigate. SMART 4000: Navantia looks at the future - EDR Magazine It definitely looks to be an interesting concept. Xavier's take on it is here.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Another video from Xavier on Saudi's World Defense Show. This time with South Korean HHI that show case their 125m 4000+ ton Frigate. This is GP Frigate that being sloted to be build some of it in Saudi, with their partner IMI.

It's also shown shipyards comolex that IMI build with HHI as part for Saudi indigenous ship building effort.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Another video from Xavier on Saudi Avante Corvettes/Light Frigates from Navantia. Corvettes/Light Frigates market really booming right now, with practically all Euro major Shipyards from Danen, Naval Group, Leonardo, Navantia and Turkish shipyard flooded the market on their design.

I believe all of them already got export orders. Thus despite OPV trend in some Western Navy, many smaller aspiring Navy tend to choose more Corvettes/Light Frigates. Off course the operational need is different, and most of smaller Navy can't afford seperate fleet for Frigate and OPV. Seems Corvettes/Light Frigates being the choices.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

As Navantia, Fincantieri/Leonardo, and Naval Group already build their own Corvettes/Light Frigates. It will be interesting to see how they are going to compromise on the design.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier in Doha, for DIMDEX 2022. Quite interesting that Qatary Navy for the point of procurement behaviour of Rich Gulf Kingdom, is bit focus on supplier side.

Fincantieri for their OPV, Corvette and Air Defense LPD. Missiles MBDA including both MBDA shore base SSM of Exocet and Marte platform. However seems Turkish shipyards also try to get more business on there. Quite interesting frigate design from Daersan.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Xavier in Doha, for DIMDEX 2022. Quite interesting that Qatary Navy for the point of procurement behaviour of Rich Gulf Kingdom, is bit focus on supplier side.

Fincantieri for their OPV, Corvette and Air Defense LPD. Missiles MBDA including both MBDA shore base SSM of Exocet and Marte platform. However seems Turkish shipyards also try to get more business on there. Quite interesting frigate design from Daersan.
Saw that last night. That air defence LPD intrigues me. Sort of have to ask why if you aren't going to use it as an LPD?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Perhaps this Air Defense LPD is Qatari Navy effort to build multi purpose command ship. At least that's what I can think off on the purpose.

Perhaps they are using LPD as base due to flexibility on the platform on the 'multi purpose' function. That's just my guess, cause other than that, I also don't see the purpose.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Could be and that would be one approach. The RDN have done that with their Absalon Class.

Sandhi Yudha

Air Defence LPD, a very interesting concept. I think it will be very useful to protect an amphibious assault group against anti-ship missiles and other air targets.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier report on 2nd day of DIMDEX 2022 in Doha. This video focus more on Pakistan booth, show casing their Tow Array Sonar for their Subs, Their indegenous ship based cruise missile (290km claim, clearly their aiming on catching up to Brahmos), and their Turkish based Milgem Corvettes/Light Frigates.

Personally I'm interested with Patria Variable Depth Sonar (VDS), that being optimalised for litoral shallow Baltic operations. Something that can be interest for SEA Navy.

Add:
Interesting there's Iranian booth. Wondering if Xavier have a chance to get into there.

swerve

Super Moderator
Air Defence LPD, a very interesting concept. I think it will be very useful to protect an amphibious assault group against anti-ship missiles and other air targets.
As I understand it, it's meant to work with the corvettes. They provide more SAMs, & have their own fire control radars, but the long-range radar's too big for them so they get long-range targeting information from the LPD.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

3rd day in DIMDEX in Qatar with Xavier. This episode shown MQ-9B, which being discussed by some potential partner in MEA region. Quite interesting if Qatar want to use this, shown they are potentially looking for longer range loitering in Gulf sea.

Turkey shown strong representation, especially by Aselsan. Also interesting video on Iran booth, that shown some of their design. Still the Light Frigate/Corvette shown resemblance based on Vosper design.

Meriv90

As I understand it, it's meant to work with the corvettes. They provide more SAMs, & have their own fire control radars, but the long-range radar's too big for them so they get long-range targeting information from the LPD.
Exactly the LPD should be for the Aster in the ABM role.

It should have the Thales SMART-L EWC that should have a range of 2000km to see incoming ballistic missiles.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Exactly the LPD should be for the Aster in the ABM role.

It should have the Thales SMART-L EWC that should have a range of 2000km to see incoming ballistic missiles.
Hmm it's about the size of HMNZS Canterbury and has eight SAM. Those 400 soldiers must be jam packed like sardines in a can.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They are a developed version of the San Giorgio class LPD of the Italian Navy I believe.
The "air-defense LPD" as described is simply the "Enhanced San Giusto" that Fincantieri already sold to Algeria in 2014, just with a different radar fit and some minor bespoke adaptions.

The LPD functionality of the overall design is extremely limited.

Meriv90

I think for the theater of operation that the Qatar navy has (probably just the Gulf) they can accomodate those 400 because there aren't big travel times.

swerve

Super Moderator
Hmm it's about the size of HMNZS Canterbury and has eight SAM. Those 400 soldiers must be jam packed like sardines in a can.
16 SAM - 2x8 cell Sylver A50. Shouldn't take up a huge amount of room.

It's 10 metres longer than the basic San Giorgio, which is reckoned to take 350 troops, & as said, the troop capacity of a ship isn't fixed. You can pack more in if they're not going far, & not going to be on board for long. Canterbury has to operate over long distances because of geography.