General Naval News

At lakes

Hm, if that's anything like a realistic impression of the design they have a very Appledore look about them. Is that yard still capable of building?
i heard or read somewhere that they were closed down due to the lack of work

CJohn

The Royal Navy is testing an interesting new 50 cal machine gun mounting system by FlexForce known as the ASP.
This is a gyro stabilized mounting with add on options.

It could be a good mounting for those Navies that use the versatile 50 cal.

Sandhi Yudha

During a Danish anti-piracy mission near the coast of Nigeria, 4 pirates are killed and one more wounded. It doesn't happen often that a European naval ship have to defend itself against pirates, and if im not wrong this is the first time for the Søværnet. The helicopter belongs to Esbern Snare L17.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A short article summarizing new SSBN designs underway. With the 4 Ohio SSGN due for retirement, it will be interesting to see if a Columbia derivative SSGN happens. So far, it looks like VPM equipped Virginias will be the answer, basically mini-SSGNs.

Sandhi Yudha

Before the handover, the Po Hang Class corvette underwent an extensive overhaul.
The two MM-38 Exocet missile launchers, the Mk 32 triple torpedo tubes and associated computers in the operations room were removed. All other weapon and sensor systems remained onboard.

With the arrival of BAP Guise, the Peruan Navy will get a second Po Hang corvette, the first one, BAP Ferré, was transferred in 2016.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I remember there's Swedish Navy thread. However seems it is quite several pages down the lihe. So I guess just put it here.

View attachment 48698FF1Lz8rXwAsooxU.jpeg

HI Sutton put in today cutaway for A-26 AIP with 3x6 VLS for tomahawk class cruise missiles. This is turn out larger that original A-26 design that come out before. This turn out more as ocean going SSK.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put it here, since it's talking on the effort to build common platform for Euro Corvette. Corvette market actually that will dominate much Global need for Naval Surface Combatant in future. Putting one common platform will benefit Euro Yards on economic of scale thus competitiveness not only in Euro zone but also International market.

Sandhi Yudha

|"No specific details were disclosed regarding the ship class (or type) or the technology that would be transferred. The Søværnet is operating the well known Knud Rasmussen-class patrol vessels. They were locally designed and built. But these 2,000 tons OPVs may be too large for the Ukrainian Coast Guard. A smaller type of in-service Danish designed patrol vessel is the 300 tons Diana-class patrol vessel. Alternatively, the Danish Naval Home Guard (Marinehjemmeværnet) is using the MHV 900-class patrol boats. Displacing 87 tonnes, they were designed in the early 2000s."|

If all these designs are still too large and expensive for the Ukrainian Navy, maybe a modified design of the Arvak-klassen station tenders can be a suitable choice. These cute 16 meter long boats are usable for patrols in coastal area if armed with small guns.

|"For its Navy, Ukraine has ordered corvettes and UAVs from Turkey, up to 16 Mark VI patrol boats from the United States and fast attack craft from the United Kingdom. It is also taking delivery of former U.S. Coast Guard Island-class patrol boats.

For the State Border Guards, Ukraine is receiving 20 patrol boats from France (including 5 built in a Ukrainian shipyard)."|

Thats a lot of new additions for a country with such a weak economy. I wonder if these ships are gifts, heavily discounted or that Ukraïne is capable to pay the full price of it.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A selection of H I Sutton videos.

These are a basic guide on subs.

The Largest Submarines By Submerged Displacement (Over 1,000 tonnes) Since 1902.

One on the VMF sub Belgorod.

Russia's Titanium subs.

How Spoofing AIS positions Could Start a War.

Sub Q&A #2.

PLAN Subs.
The Chinese Navy's 10 Types Of Submarine

Top 5 SSK and Other Questions.
Japan's Impressive Postwar Submarines

World's 10 Largest Submarines by Length.
World Submarine Rankings: 10 Largest

New Stealth Submarines (Quick Guide).
The New Stealth Submarines Explained (Quick Guide)

What You Need to Know About the KSSIII.
What you need to know about the KSS-III Submarine

AIP Explained.
Apex Predators: AIP Submarines Explained by Covert Shores (Air Independent Propulsion)

10 Types of Submarine Explained.
10 Types of Submarine Explained

Sandhi Yudha

A couple of days after the Type 071E LPD for the Royal Thai Navy was launched, it was a great day for the navy of another allied country of communist china.
Myanmar commissioned a former People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN or Chinese Navy) Type 35B Ming-class submarine from China last week. The submarine, named "UMS Minye Kyaw Htin" joined the fleet during a ceremony on 24 December 2021.

The 'new' submarine is not only a 20 years old second hand, but the exterior already indicates that its a complete obsolete design, the Type 035 is a chinese redesigned copy of the even older Project 633 / Romeo-class of submarines.

UMS Minye Kyaw Htin is the second submarine to join the Myanmar Navy fleet following the commissioning of former Indian Navy Kilo-class submarine INS Sindhuvir last year.

Thailand signed a contract with China for the procurement of a Type 071E landing platform dock (LPD) on 9 September 2019.

Here an overview of China's submarine exports.
For three out of four customers, it will be their first submarine experience.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

It is remarkable that a country like Thailand, without an aircraft building history, can suddenly create a VTOL-UAV, which we can see here in this report of yesterday.

Siam Dry Tech (SDT) Composites designed the carbon-fiber airframe, and Pims Technologies developed the Tactical-Based Aerial Command Control System.
Here some more photos from the new UAV.

The first tests were actually already performed in November.

Last edited:

STURM

It is remarkable that a country like Thailand, without an aircraft building history, can suddenly create a VTOL-UAV, which we can see here in this report
It has probably been under development for quite a while. Like the case with neighbouring Malaysia and Indonesia; local UAS development has existed for some time now. Nonetheless this VTOL UAS is an achievement.

Redlands18

And the Moron of the Week award goes to.....
Imagine being dumb enough to Laser a Military Aircraft.

Sandhi Yudha

Some more news from Thailand.
Thailand has ordered a second frigate from South-Korea. The first one, the 3650-tonne HTMS Bhumibol Adulyadej (FFG 471) frigate from South Korean shipbuilder Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME), was procured in 2013. It was delivered in December 2018 and is now considered as the most advanced and powerful naval asset in the Royal Thai Navy.

Meriv90

Thanks Sandhi Yudha
So from the article (later realized wikipedia had the full list, in a prose form)
Philippines
-LPDs were bought from Indonesia even if it was a Korean design? Just in case lets write down the 92mln they costed. (And OMG if thats cheap from my ignorant POV)
-2 Frigates for 311mln
-2 Corvettes for 554

Indonesia
-2+2 LPD for 150mln
-3 subs for 1 bln in 2011
-3 subs for 1 bln in 2019

Thailand
-1 Frigate for 482mln

UK + Norway
-5tankers for around 1bln

New Zealand
-1 LSS for 327 mln

Ok I had a wrong perception. Considering their military spending and the fact they have 40% of the civilian shipbuilding, I was expecting way more.
Thanks to more research, economies of scale etc.. etc...
But Im realizing they are simply far away from the big spenders Arabs, India, Australia and Canada

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks Sandhi Yudha
So from the article (later realized wikipedia had the full list, in a prose form)
Philippines
-LPDs were bought from Indonesia even if it was a Korean design? Just in case lets write down the 92mln they costed. (And OMG if thats cheap from my ignorant POV)
-2 Frigates for 311mln
-2 Corvettes for 554

Indonesia
-2+2 LPD for 150mln
-3 subs for 1 bln in 2011
-3 subs for 1 bln in 2019

Thailand
-1 Frigate for 482mln

UK + Norway
-5tankers for around 1bln

New Zealand
-1 LSS for 327 mln

Ok I had a wrong perception. Considering their military spending and the fact they have 40% of the civilian shipbuilding, I was expecting way more.
Thanks to more research, economies of scale etc.. etc...
But Im realizing they are simply far away from the big spenders Arabs, India, Australia and Canada
Its almost for sure that the second batch of 3 Type 209/1400 Improved Chang Bogo Class submarines for the Indonesian Navy is cancelled by the current administration.

There are also two Makassar Class LPDs exported by South-Korea to Peru and one to Myanmar.

And the Bangladesh Navy Bangabandhu F25 is based on the Ulsan Class design.

Oh, and i almost forgot the 4 Mandau class fast missile boats, ordered in 1975 and built by the Korea Tacoma Marine Industries between 1977 to 1980.

Last edited: