Future Weapons

augreich

Go to page 1, RedaRRow has a great post on the LRAD. (directed acoustics)

I've also heard of a space based weapon system that relies on kinetic energy; lauching large spikes at a target from space, the kinetic energy alone will obliterate a large building and could penetrate well beneath the Earth's surface.

-High Energy Laser

metro

Sorry guys i should have been more clear. I meant directed energy weapons like HEL's.
I know there are budget cuts that have slowed (T)HEL's down dramatically. It's just isn't an answer right now to much of anything. Go to youtube and search for MTHEL or HEL. It looks grood in video from 2004, but obviously film can make a lot of things look grood. It's not fast enough yet.

In terms of putting something on a personal weapon, it's not very cost effective either. With a sniper type rifle, you could cause someone a lot of pain and maybe burn a whole in them (kill them), but Human Rights Watch Would send their super lawyers in to get you faster than the speed of light.

From what I saw of the (ground based) MTHEL/HEL, it doesn't look like it does much more than an older generation patriot... burn an incoming missile in half when it's already overhead.
MTHEL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt2qaTfT8QY&mode=related&search=

I actually have thought for a while that this has much more practcal use in anything from "anything defense" to obviously an offensive weapon (metal storm). I just don't see DE coming around, in a reliable way, anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BETIBqeZA10&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6YvWxtrxw&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-ql8msl0U&mode=related&search=

This is how ABL is spposed to work... they make it loo/sound so easy too! Maybe you know where they are?;)

Peace

Last edited:

DoC_FouALieR

I've also heard of a space based weapon system that relies on kinetic energy; lauching large spikes at a target from space, the kinetic energy alone will obliterate a large building and could penetrate well beneath the Earth's surface.
There are inherent problems with such a weapon:
- First to reload it, ammunition cannot be stored indefinitly in space, you need to resupply the weapon from earth, making a shot very costly.
- Second, firing a projectile will drive the weapon off its orbit according to the Newton's 3rd law, that raise the cost of the weapon itself, because you need some kind of stabilizing system.

metro

There are inherent problems with such a weapon:
- First to reload it, ammunition cannot be stored indefinitely in space, you need to crisply the weapon from earth, making a shot very costly.
- Second, firing a projectile will drive the weapon off its orbit according to the Newton's 3rd law, that raise the cost of the weapon itself, because you need some kind of stabilizing system.
-Yeah, that's a major problem with any space weapon, even if we had the technology today to put a DE based system in space, any maintenance, upgrades and so on would require shuttle missions. That's the advantage of ABL and/or GBL (neither of which have we been able to make a practical reality... yet), but at least when the main system is on the ground, it can constantly be tweaked and modified.

-RE: your second point:
I’m far from an expert on space. Do you know if it is possible to launch shuttle mission into orbit, and let it deploy many "mini-shuttles" (obviously unmanned), which are pretty much stay dormant in orbit unless they are needed. In the case that a target needs to be taken out, one of the "mini-shuttles" can be controlled from "Houston." Once the trajectory and everything is figured out, a small amount of fuel can be fired to take it out of orbit and "Houston" can control its re-entry, letting it glide (like a shuttle) to its target. If this is possible, once the main "vehicle" gets to a point where it's taken the majority of the heat generated from re-entry, the mini-shuttle could release many "smaller-shuttles" (MIRVS) each independently controlled. Then you get a controlled "a controlled" meteor storm. For rapid deployment, instead of having to use ICBMs or IRBMs (where it may take assets some time to get into place or deploy to too many places) use a "shuttle crash."

BTW, leave treaties that nobody adheres to anyway, aside. I'm just wondering if something like this is plausible and economical (in relative terms)?:unknown

DoC_FouALieR

I’m far from an expert on space. Do you know if it is possible to launch shuttle mission into orbit, and let it deploy many "mini-shuttles" (obviously unmanned), which are pretty much stay dormant in orbit [...]
Yes I think this is possible, a kind of "delayed" reentry balstic missile. Sure costly, because this kind of "meteor storm" satellite should have to sustain long period in space. But it is feasable, can be put in ordbit by space shuttle or some kind of low-cost commercial launcher, and can achieve some kind of global strike capability, with an enormous advantage: it does not look like a ICBM/SLBM strike when employed, and can hit a target even quicker if several weapons are put into different orbit, thus reducing time passage over a given area.

metro

Yes I think this is possible, a kind of "delayed" reentry balstic missile. Sure costly, because this kind of "meteor storm" satellite should have to sustain long period in space. But it is feasable, can be put in ordbit by space shuttle or some kind of low-cost commercial launcher, and can achieve some kind of global strike capability, with an enormous advantage: it does not look like a ICBM/SLBM strike when employed, and can hit a target even quicker if several weapons are put into different orbit, thus reducing time passage over a given area.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The "Ground Based" missile launch phase is bypassed and not only does it cut down the time, but something falling from space usually isn't detected until it his sombody's house. Placing them in different orbits to have the capability of striking anywhere at anytime, is a huge advanage. Many decoys could be put in space (making it more difficult to shoot down). Again, I don't know enough about space and wear & tear.

But I'd think we could make something that would not do anything (unlike other sophisticated satalites) other than sit there until needed. Something like a decent sized hardend capsule that has a small amount of fuel and photo-electric cells while in space. It could be used for ABM too, depending on how many are deployed--which could be a whole lot if the military does a cost benefit analysis (NASA would love it). It seems to me that it's a much cheaper especially since it could be used for so many situations. A quick strike capability anywhere in the world. I don't know, I was just thiking about it and if it's plausible (as you believe it is and I was geussig it wass since I've seen shuttles leave orbit and land), why not? It's realatively simple technology, unlike space based lasers. We just need to fix some foam that keeps our shuttles grounded.:unknown

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Depending on who you believe the Rod of God proposal is pratical, and some say in service. This system was propsoed to be resident in space so to lauch was required. Coverage and low altitude (to prevent burn up) were seen to be critical issues.

PullerRommel

It was a green light. Not sound. It was on FutureWeapons on Discovery Channel.

And didnt the Nazis develop a sound based weapon? I think i heard it on the History Channel or military Channel dont remember

rossfrb_1

It was a green light. Not sound. It was on FutureWeapons on Discovery Channel.

And didnt the Nazis develop a sound based weapon? I think i heard it on the History Channel or military Channel dont remember

Was it strobed/pulsed, so as to produce an epileptic type reaction?
I'm pretty sure the yanks have sonic (and even microwave based) non lethal weapons under development.
Don't know about the Nazis.

rb

metro

Was it strobed/pulsed, so as to produce an epileptic type reaction?
I'm pretty sure the yanks have sonic (and even microwave based) non lethal weapons under development.
Don't know about the Nazis.

rb
Check the following link out... it has a lot of DE (Lasers/Microwaves/Sonic/Electric/Etc).
If you scroll down past a couple of articles, I think you'll see the "Green Laser" you guys are talking about. But there is everything on the page from Laser/MWVs/Sonic weapons that are in use or being worked on. As to whether some of them are non-lethal, I think that would just depend upon the User/Maker's intention.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/cat_lasers_and_ray_guns.html

PullerRommel

Ya thats the one i was referring to

I also saw a Suitcase that shoots out little ligtening bolts so if somewhen tried to run some other way you set it down there and when they pass it there shocked

metro

This is supposed to be designed to take out ballistic missiles/:cool:
Okay, this is pretty far out there, but DARPA is behind the thing, so I wouldn't bet against it. This portable, deployable, "invisibility shield," for urban combat, which the good guy can see through and shoot through, while the bad guy sees nothing and if the "shield is hit" it repairs itself on it's own. Sorry for the long sentence, but I wanted to get all the stuff in... I left out that I want one!:D

Is this possible?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/darpa-funds-invisible-shoot-through-shield/2

T-95

Okay, this is pretty far out there, but DARPA is behind the thing, so I wouldn't bet against it. This portable, deployable, "invisibility shield," for urban combat, which the good guy can see through and shoot through, while the bad guy sees nothing and if the "shield is hit" it repairs itself on it's own. Sorry for the long sentence, but I wanted to get all the stuff in... I left out that I want one!:D

Is this possible?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/darpa-funds-invisible-shoot-through-shield/2
It's not that far out there China successfully uses it against US spy sat's to blind them and is rumored to be developing one for ABM purposes but ground based. Israel already has a pretty good one for shooting down Katusha's and other things being shot at them by terror groups and US is gunna be using the same system too, it's going to be in service with both armies by 2008. Russia also used the tech to blind US spy sat's and is developing a ground based one to shoot down BM's. The Russians believe it's such a real threat that they made all their new BM's able to deal with directed energy weapons. the tech has been proposed to for the F-35 as a mini- Airborne Laser.

XaNDeR

Imagine some kind of solar power surge collector weapon , that would absorb a little bit from the sun and shoot a huge stream of solar power :)

nero

Thaad

Imagine some kind of solar power surge collector weapon , that would absorb a little bit from the sun and shoot a huge stream of solar power :)
great news !

but can anyone help me with news on the THAAD missile-defencesystem

how does the THAAD compare with the S-400 ??

also how does the THAAD complement the israeli arrow systems ??

please update on any news about the THAAD

iam interested to know about the minute-details of the system.