Future Weapons

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I believe the Americans are looking at putting a railgun in a future tank design in around 2015 all going well
I've seen mention of rail guns for military use, but to date the only place they've existed is within the realms of the video game "half-life".

If you do a search within Wikipedia, there's a paragraph or two on them there.

Following reading the article, it becomes apparent that rail guns consume huge amounts of electrical energy in the process of creating their "projectile".

From this fact, it can logically be deduced that the most obvious position of use for them is either as a static defense weapon, located close to an easily consumable power supply, or at sea on a ship with the ability to divert all electrical power for the use of the gun (almost instantly indicating that it would be fed from a nuclear reactor/power supply).

From the lack of detail regarding their development across the web, I think it's reasonably safe to say that while the technology is feasable, putting it into development for practical use is probably 10 - 15 years away at the earliest.

Comments ???

Systems Adict

DoC_FouALieR

I've seen mention of rail guns for military use, but to date the only place they've existed is within the realms of the video game "half-life".
I'm sorry, but railguns are within the Quake serie, not Half-Life. =)

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
DOH !!

...That's what lack of sleep & 19 hour days do to your brain, confuse subject matter !!

Thanks for the correction.
:nutkick

Systems Adict

eaf-f16

plasama wepons

so what US has one thats on a plane and flies. its called the airborne laser its expected to be in service around 2025

ahussains

I have heard that it is difficult to hit a target with a Rivolver(or a Pistol) when the target is located only 10-20 feet away ( Target is a small thing not a human or an animal ).
I know there is a gun which is being made in Pakistan with the colabration of China which when fires a bullet,the bullet rotates at its axis and also rotates in a circle.The purpose of whole this is that the target is missed rarely and the wound which it makes is deadly

Have some source of such type of Gun ?

Its Intresting

metro

The US has also been using a green laser which induces nausea and balance problems. It basically will stop people completely in their tracks.
Yeah, these things exist at a production level, and work well. If someone is driving a little to fast, even at a distance, (rifle mounted), one can just aim at the windshield for a second and the driver will temporarly lose his vision... if the car continues, aim for a few seconds and the person won't be able to see for hours.
The problem is that I think they cost $8,000/pc. and the DOD doen't want to equip the troops with, "expensive, unproven technology."

Sophisticated argument. Never buy it, and it will remain unproven technology.:confused:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, these things exist at a production level, and work well. If someone is driving a little to fast, even at a distance, (rifle mounted), one can just aim at the windshield for a second and the driver will temporarly lose his vision... if the car continues, aim for a few seconds and the person won't be able to see for hours.
The problem is that I think they cost $8,000/pc. and the DOD doen't want to equip the troops with, "expensive, unproven technology."

Sophisticated argument. Never buy it, and it will remain unproven technology.:confused:
It may not be the cost, but the simple issue of your enemy opponent having access to filtered lenses on FCS optics, riflle scopes, binos and individual soldiers wearing filtered safety glasses.

metro

It may not be the cost, but the simple issue of your enemy opponent having access to filtered lenses on FCS optics, riflle scopes, binos and individual soldiers wearing filtered safety glasses.
That's definitely true. I wouldn't have one for each CF in Iraq, but I'd highly consider having limited numbers to give to those who are manning checkpoints--especially since it sounds like we're now using just a few people for that role (missing soldiers).
Plus, I think Iraqis wearing termenator looking glasses, might be a give away.

BRAVE

The situation is alarming.To ensure we don't wipe out the whole human race with our new weapons,I think this is what we should do:

Establish a World Army comprising of all the armies of the world(USA,Israel,Pakistan,Russia,Britain,Australia,Iraq...etc).
This army should be united and have a common cause.In effect ,all the artillery,cavalry,coded technologies and "record breaking" weapons of mass detruction being developed by different nations and their defence budgets are merged.

Results: no more secrets between nations
Iran's nuclear programme becomes a world's favourite
Soldiers have the opportunity of serving in other nations
more peace in the world
we give terrorists a hard time

I guess I'm one big wishful thinker.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The situation is alarming.To ensure we don't wipe out the whole human race with our new weapons,I think this is what we should do:

Establish a World Army comprising of all the armies of the world(USA,Israel,Pakistan,Russia,Britain,Australia,Iraq...etc).
This army should be united and have a common cause.In effect ,all the artillery,cavalry,coded technologies and "record breaking" weapons of mass detruction being developed by different nations and their defence budgets are merged.

Results: no more secrets between nations
Iran's nuclear programme becomes a world's favourite
Soldiers have the opportunity of serving in other nations
more peace in the world
we give terrorists a hard time

I guess I'm one big wishful thinker.
Nope, you are not one big wishful thinker:

After we blow the sh_t out of each other who ever is left will be walking hand to hand naked as a jay bird singing we are the world we are the people.

augreich

Unfortunately, war is the best catalyst for technological innovation.

Remember, up until recently the average time between idea and implementation was ten years. That is ten years of secrecy before it officially exists!
Technological advances are happening in leaps and bounds in our presence.
With that, just imagine what our true capabilities are right now and what's on the drawing board in the BLACK PROJECTS divisions of any number of departments across the world!
The possibilities are mind boggling.

metro

Unfortunately, war is the best catalyst for technological innovation.

Remember, up until recently the average time between idea and implementation was ten years. That is ten years of secrecy before it officially exists!
Technological advances are happening in leaps and bounds in our presence.
With that, just imagine what our true capabilities are right now and what's on the drawing board in the BLACK PROJECTS divisions of any number of departments across the world!
The possibilities are mind boggling.
Yes, this is very true. There are two good books I've read (Many more are out there--of coarse-- "The History of Science and Warfare" (Something like that) and "The 'S' Curve--From 'I'vention to 'I'nnovation." The former deals with (an details) how almost everything throughout time, that has led to technological advances has stemmed from a "Function of the Military." The latter deals with the concept of the "'S' Curve" (i.e. the time it takes from Invention to Innovation [Hense, the shape of the "Letter 'S'"!]) and the factors that are involved.

Ozzy Blizzard

Any ideas on future small arms developments, i mean beyond CIWS. Is there any plans/R&D going into DE based personal weapons systems???

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is there any plans/R&D going into DE based personal weapons systems???
By DE, do you mean Depleted Uranium ??

Since 2000 / 2001 this has been pretty much banned from use, because it's impact on the environment (after all it is derived from uranium !), as well as fears for lawsuits from ex-service personnel.

Based on that I would say that it's pretty much a dead duck.

Systems Adict

augreich

To my knowledge, the CIWS system and the A-10 Thunderbolt still use the depleted uranium projectiles because of thier ability to penetrate thick armor.
Just like the conical shaped copper element used in anti-tank missiles and in F.I.E.D's etc. it turns into a molten mass that penetrates armor very effectively.