Flanker Export Thread

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

About the first export deal of the Su-34, in 2016 the Algerian Air Force has ordered 12 Sukhoi Su-34 fighter bombers, does anyone know when the first of these Su-34 will be delivered?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
About the first export deal of the Su-34, in 2016 the Algerian Air Force has ordered 12 Sukhoi Su-34 fighter bombers, does anyone know when the first of these Su-34 will be delivered?
What makes you so sure they have a firm contract? Because NAPO workers are spreading rumors of downsizing at the factory as the state defense order shrinks.

Sandhi Yudha

Sandhi Yudha

The amount of ordered aircraft is not really clear, but it seems that Egypt has ordered "at least two dozen" of the Su-35.
Egypt reportedly orders Su-35 fighters | Jane's 360

The aircrafts are planned to be delivered in 2021-2022.
With this order Egypt will be the fourth country which uses the Su-35 after Russia and China (already in use) and Indonesia, which expects the first delivery this year.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The amount of ordered aircraft is not really clear, but it seems that Egypt has ordered "at least two dozen" of the Su-35.
Egypt reportedly orders Su-35 fighters | Jane's 360

The aircrafts are planned to be delivered in 2021-2022.
With this order Egypt will be the fourth country which uses the Su-35 after Russia and China (already in use) and Indonesia, which expects the first delivery this year.
A much needed sale. Russian articles talk about "tens" of jets. Overall Flanker sales haven't been as great lately, and it remains to be seen whether the US sanctions Egypt for this sale, the way they did China, or makes an exception for them like they do for India.

Sandhi Yudha

Seems it's now real contract..added from Indonesian AF Thread:

Frm Jane's

Indonesia finalises contract to procure Su-35 fighter aircraft | Jane's 360

Frm Russian Media

Россия и Индонезия подписали контракт на поставку 11 истребителей Су-35

So already in Indonesian, Russian, and International media..and official Mindef..so..seems official enough.
Its still unclear in which month the first of the 11 Su-35 are to be delivered...

Anyway, this is really a very intense video of the Su-35...

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Its still unclear in which month the first of the 11 Su-35 are to be delivered...
Well, after this ellection settle, I think we can see more clearly what will happen to Su-35 deal for Indonesia.

One thing for sure CAATSA and Trade Deals with US will become much more factors on completions of the deal.

Talk with some friends in State Owned Banks (that will handle counter trade financial payment deal), the part of counter trade with Russia so far being agree in principle only.
So the implementation of the deal from my perspective still not a 'done' contract yet.

Will see how this Administration will handle the 'balancing' between Russia and US.

Sandhi Yudha

In 2018 it was announced that Myanmar ordered 6 Su-30SM multirole fighters.

Later reports even tell that the production already started.

But after these reports there is no any news about the delivery and operations with the Myanmar Airforce. Is this order just canceled?

Sandhi Yudha

The first photos of Egypts first Su-35s!!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a leak of the production schedule for fighters at KnAAZ. The domestic production is only visible a little bit:

2020: 1 Su-57, 10 Su-35
2021: 2 Su-57, 5 Su-35 (new contract to be signed soon)
2022: 4 Su-57, ? Su-35
2023: 7 Su-57, ?Su-35

For export we get a better view:

2020: 22 aircraft for Customer 1 (likely Egypt)
2021: 8 aircraft for Customer 1
2022: 12 aircraft for Customer 2 (possibly Algeria)
2023: 14 for Customer 2
2024: 6 or 8 (poorly visible) for Customer 2

The 11 aircraft for Indonesia are nowhere in sight.

Sandhi Yudha

We have a leak of the production schedule for fighters at KnAAZ. The domestic production is only visible a little bit:

2020: 1 Su-57, 10 Su-35
2021: 2 Su-57, 5 Su-35 (new contract to be signed soon)
2022: 4 Su-57, ? Su-35
2023: 7 Su-57, ?Su-35

For export we get a better view:

2020: 22 aircraft for Customer 1 (likely Egypt)
2021: 8 aircraft for Customer 1
2022: 12 aircraft for Customer 2 (possibly Algeria)
2023: 14 for Customer 2
2024: 6 or 8 (poorly visible) for Customer 2

The 11 aircraft for Indonesia are nowhere in sight.

I wondered about the Su-30SM and Su-34, but then i realized that they were produced in Irkut and Novosibirsk.

That the 11 Su-35 for TNI-AU are not on the list was predictable, and i also dont expect they will ever come on the list.
Anyway thanks for sharing the list and link!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wondered about the Su-30SM and Su-34, but then i realized that they were produced in Irkut and Novosibirsk.

That the 11 Su-35 for TNI-AU are not on the list was predictable, and i also dont expect they will ever come on the list.
Anyway thanks for sharing the list and link!
It will be interesting to see what happens with the sanctions on Iran expiring. They showed interest in the Su-30SM, which is affordable, and lightyears ahead of anything they currently fly, especially if it's the Su-30SM2 upgrade includes the Irbis. The Iranian airforce is badly outdated and I don't see the Europeans jumping in to supply, which leaves Russia and China. I'm willing to bet Russia has a good shot of landing a fairly large contract.

Sandhi Yudha

It will be interesting to see what happens with the sanctions on Iran expiring. They showed interest in the Su-30SM, which is affordable, and lightyears ahead of anything they currently fly, especially if it's the Su-30SM2 upgrade includes the Irbis. The Iranian airforce is badly outdated and I don't see the Europeans jumping in to supply, which leaves Russia and China. I'm willing to bet Russia has a good shot of landing a fairly large contract.
The Su-30SME with its Bars radar is already a giant leap forwards, compared to the F-4 and F-5E, the 5th generation Azarakhsh, Saeqeh, Kowsar and 6th generation F-313 Qaher. I doubt that Russia is willing to deliver an Irbis equipped Sukhoi to a country in such unstable area.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Su-30SME with its Bars radar is already a giant leap forwards, compared to the F-4 and F-5E, the 5th generation Azarakhsh, Saeqeh, Kowsar and 6th generation F-313 Qaher. I doubt that Russia is willing to deliver an Irbis equipped Sukhoi to a country in such unstable area.
It may depend on the size of the contract, and on how many other Su-30SM contracts they have. If it's what will keep the production line open, they may see it as worth it.

HeimDefan

Irbis is PESA. Iran is getting JF-17 Block 3 which has Chinese AESA to replace F-5E. In any event, Iran is getting Su-30SM to replace F-14A considering it's tandem seat.

Sandhi Yudha

Irbis is PESA. Iran is getting JF-17 Block 3 which has Chinese AESA to replace F-5E. In any event, Iran is getting Su-30SM to replace F-14A considering it's tandem seat.
Wait.....
"Iran is getting JF-17 Block 3 "
Where did you get that from? The way you write that statement is like that Iran and china already have signed a contract and that Iran will get them for sure. (Sorry for my bad English)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@HeimDefan Welcome to the forum. You have been somewhat active in your short time here and that bodes well if you abide by the rules and the forum decorum.

The claim in your post is a rather bold claim to make. Do you have a reliable, verifiable, reputable, source for that claim? We are a professionally run defence forum and as such we require reliable, verifiable, reputable, sources for any claims that posters make. As such we have a set of rules that everyone is required to follow. In this case Rule #14 applies.

I note that other posters including some Defence Professionals and a couple of Moderators have attempted to guide you. It appears that you have neglected / ignored their attempts and that can be detrimental to your learnings. All of us on here, from the newest newbie to the crustiest old Moderator and / or Defence Professional are always learning something new and that is a constant on here. It's a goodly part of the reason of why we are here, why we have the rules, and why we are so strong on people abiding by them. We want factual information, not whispers in the dark or some piece of fiction that somebody's thought up over a long night on the beer, or after reading to many war comics.

Therefore I strongly suggest that you follow the guidance that others give you, especially the Defence Professionals (Blue Tags), and senior members, because that way you don't run afoul of the Moderators especially the two real grumpy ones.