F-35 - International Participation

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
There might be some opportunity for Japan, if Canada doesn't purchase the F-35 or if Turkey um, becomes complicated. Reallocated workshare?
I am frankly surprised that work hasn't been shifted yet, both from Canada and Turkey. Today, junior releases his defence review so perhaps it will give LM a clue as to future Canadian F-35 content.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well gee whiz, junior is sending DND people over to Paris to talk to jet vendors. Realistically the only two worth talking to are one that that junior promised not to buy and the other Canada is having a trade dispute with. Short of one of the Euro vendors being stupid enough to partner with Bombardier for a Canadian assembly plant, they have no chance. Waste of time but the DND team will have a pleasant visit to Paris.

Feds set to meet with fighter jet firms amid Super Hornet questions | National Newswatch

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Having confidence in junior to make the right choice is a slippery slope. Boeing felt confident a few months ago, not so much now. The new jet fleet size has gone from 65 to 88. That is a shade over 2 billion assuming a 100m CDN unit cost for 23 addtional jets. Maybe he wants 23 extra jets at no addtional cost which is probably possible with 88 Gripens versus 65 F-35s. In any event, no movement until after the next election, unless the interim jet purchase re-surfaces.

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/06/21/lockheed-exec-confident-canada-will-pick-f-35-block-buy-eyed/

colay1

A Block-Buy F-35A is expected to come out at US$85M, same as the price estimate for a Gripen. At this point I'd have more confidence in the F-35 price. Capabilities-wise it's no contest.

the concerned

I'm just wondering could LM do to the f-35 what was done to the f-18 and upscale it. If you could make it say 20/30% larger plus probably 2 engines to replace the f-15/18e. This is just a fun exercise.

the concerned

I disagree with the f-22 being that aircraft. The aircraft would need to be able to perform the strike mission's conducted by the strike eagle and superhornet and possibly be available to countries that require this type of aircraft.

Blue Jay

I disagree with the f-22 being that aircraft. The aircraft would need to be able to perform the strike mission's conducted by the strike eagle and superhornet and possibly be available to countries that require this type of aircraft.
Isn't that what the F-35 is for? Plus the mudhen and rhino are still around. Also, the F-22 is perfectly capable of strike missions.

Why work on this project when you've got the F-35, F-22, and now PCA coming up?

colay1

It's a testament to the F-35 design in that while it was intended to replace the F-16 and F-18, it can excel in roles performed by the SH and Eagle.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Isn't that what the F-35 is for? Plus the mudhen and rhino are still around. Also, the F-22 is perfectly capable of strike missions.

Why work on this project when you've got the F-35, F-22, and now PCA coming up?
The F-22 is capable of 'some' strike missions. It is limited in the weapons and seeker types it can employ.

Basically it can strike fixed targets with GPS/INS guided, free fall gravity weapons (JDAM and SDB I only).

A proper strike aircraft requires significantly greater flexibility than that.

Milne Bay

F-35 BEAST MODE 22,000 lbs of ordnance with 18,000 of that external as shown.

Complete Video:
Lockheed Martin's Babione Shares F-35 Lightning II Fighter Update at ASC17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRmILCmufc

Short Version about 'BEAST MODE' as seen in the graphic attached.
BEAST MODE LM Jeff Babione Shares F-35 Update at ASC17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kuB58nENs
Just to put that into some perspective - that load externally is more than a B-17 of WW2 could carry.
Totally, it is also the equivalent of a Bomber Command "Grand Slam"
Not too bad for a little single engined aircraft
MB