F-35 - International Participation

barney41

Any Canadian order would be a sizable chunk of change for LM so despite public comments from LM execs that future business opportunities would be contingent on a RCAF order, I don't expect any change in the status quo while the jet decision is pending.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I agree, no more LM cautions about future business until there is a decision but this change is solely due to Boeing’s screw up. When Boeing was in the driver’s seat WRT the fighter replacement, LM making warnings about future aerospace business for Canada was an important tactic against a Boeing purchase (and still is).

SpazSinbad

Another good video about CVF & F-35B Simulator Ops at BAE Warton UK in preparation for the real deal come June 2018 or spring time [down under] (autumn at top of the globe) thereabouts this year off the East Coast USA for first test period.

F-35B Warton UK Simulator Training For CVF Operations Plus SRVL

Last edited:

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Turkey and Russia are restoring their relationship as Turkey becomes more hostile towards the West under Erdogan. Russia and Turkeys interests align more and more in Syria and are against the US most certainly on the Kurd problem. The irritation of not being fully accepted into the EU is a further factor.
The closeness of the two is strengthened by Russian holiday makers, 6 million annually making Turkey the largest destination for Russian tourists.

With this increasingly unstable and tempestuous relationship between Turkey and the rest of NATO and the situation described above, is their any movement in Washington to curtail any export components for F35 and has their been any discussion on Turkeys status as a major maintenance hub for the aircraft?

It seems to me that this is a diabolical situation for the US. Damned if they withdraw the aircraft an risk the Turks handing the delivered planes capabilities to the Russians or damned if they don't and forever having the possibility of an increasing number of aircraft operating in a country which could divulge their secrets at any time.

Any insights?

SpazSinbad

The F-35 has 'tamper-proof' tech built in deliberately so as to make the aircraft exportable to non-US countries (and all F-35s are the same with public exceptions well known such as drag chutes for Norway and Dutchland, and the Israeli mods for the F-35i, so they can themselves can further mod avionics [this tech could be made available to other operators]).

Also MDF MIssion Data Files are provided for different regions whilst some are made by groups of different operators in labs but always under supervision of USofA.

Some US Congress people have moved to have Turkey excluded from the F-35 program for about two years now and they have got nowhere so far.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The F-35 has 'tamper-proof' tech built in deliberately so as to make the aircraft exportable to non-US countries (and all F-35s are the same with public exceptions well known such as drag chutes for Norway and Dutchland, and the Israeli mods for the F-35i, so they can themselves can further mod avionics [this tech could be made available to other operators]).

Also MDF MIssion Data Files are provided for different regions whilst some are made by groups of different operators in labs but always under supervision of USofA.

Some US Congress people have moved to have Turkey excluded from the F-35 program for about two years now and they have got nowhere so far.
Two years ago Turkey had shot down a Russian aircraft and in response Russia had placed a series of trade sanctions on Turkey including banning tourists traveling there.
The situation has regressed a long way since then Soi had assumed a different strategic dynamic may have prevailed.

SpazSinbad

Turkey appears to play both sides at moment - what to do about it is above my pay grade I'm afraid. Shirley Turkey says/does one thing in public and another in private.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It is not so much Turkey's intention to buy S-400s, it is the path Erdogan is taking Turkey down. The world doesn't need another Islamic theocracy, especially one with F-35s.

SpazSinbad

IF Erdogan is 'prez for life' then how is Turkey a theocracy? The USofA has never been shy to sell hardware to questionables if it is in the US interest. Here Turkey (and India) are examples. Remember the F-35 has tamper proof hardware so nothing much can be gained by furriners tampering, otherwise the F-35 would not be sold to furriners.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Its the people this prez for life will attract around him and this resulting herd will be a problem later. As for the F-35 itself, safeguards on its hardware access is one issue, using the jet against parties that are friends is something else again. Let him buy Migs from his new best friend instead.

Stampede

Back to topic? Politics on other threads please. Thanks.

Carrier Queen Elizabeth, F-35B ski-jump trials

Busting with enthusiasm, this pilot is an excellent ambassador for both his plane and the airfield it will be flown off.
I hope ship and plane meet all expectations.
Many will watch the progress with interest and suspect some envy.

Regards S

SpazSinbad

Just as an aside.... PUHLeez: an aircraft carrier is NOT an airfield if that is what you imply. However the NAS Patuxent River Ski Jump is on the centerfield of that air station USA.

Stampede

Just as an aside.... PUHLeez: an aircraft carrier is NOT an airfield if that is what you imply. However the NAS Patuxent River Ski Jump is on the centerfield of that air station USA.

Yes apologies for the liberty of calling an aircraft carrier an airfield.

Speaking of the Queen Elizabeth Class, I read a feature suggesting there was a leaked UK defence document with plans for a third carrier.
Given the financial woes of UK defence I looked on with sceptical interest.
The answer was in the articles date.
1st April.

If only

Anyway the F35B and the Queen Elizabeth Class are a reality set for operational testing later in the year.
Once again the Royal Navy are back in the fixed wing club.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Regards S