Effect of the massive Saudi military purchases on the region?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeshaan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, godbody. That's not exactly the most ideal situation there. If a country has the financial resources, infrastructure and manpower to be able to field a vast army, the most important thing on the agenda should be training and development of all skills necessary to be able to effectively operate all the high-tech foreign equipment without relying on other nations to send their technicians/engineers etc over.

justone

Banned Member
That's a good deal because Sweden dont require conditions to the deal. Also Sweden will help Saudi with the equipment. Great choice I didn't know about this deal. Another thing thats great about this deal is they will train the Saudi on how to maintain and operate the aircraft.
So Saudi Arabia now can have eyes in northern Saudi Arabia. Sweden have a great program when you buy something from them checkout the Thailand Air Force purchase of the Gippen. I feel sorry for Saudis:( after buying the best equipment with conditions on them. Its not fair to be a partner and take the short end of the stick. You can talk all this stuff about Iran you want but they doing it on there own. That's only respect I have for them. The effects of this massive Saudi purchases don't mean anything if they don't know how maintain it thereself that a fact. That's why they needs to buy equipment from other sources with no conditions on them. I will say this having this equipment will help them if they do operations with U.S. against Iran. The overall conclusion is having all this great equipment is to use only when its in the interest of the U.S. how sad that is. Nothing but puppets for the U.S. the true hurts.

Last edited:

NICO

So Saudi Arabia now can have eyes in northern Saudi Arabia. Sweden have a great program when you buy something from them checkout the Thailand Air Force purchase of the Gippen. I feel sorry for Saudis:( after buying the best equipment with conditions on them. Its not fair to be a partner and take the short end of the stick. You can talk all this stuff about Iran you want but they doing it on there own. That's only respect I have for them. The effects of this massive Saudi purchases don't mean anything if they don't know how maintain it yourself that a fact. That's why they needs to buy equipment from other sources with no conditions on them. I will say this having this equipment will help them if they do operations with U.S. against Iran. The overall conclusion is having all this great equipment is to use only when its in the interest of the U.S. how sad that is. Nothing but puppets for the U.S. the true hurts.
Not sure I understand what you are alluding to when you talk about the sale of Gripens to Thailand. Have you come across some info that they have had some problems in arm releases to Thailand? :confused: The sale/delivery was slow but I think it was because Thailand had money problems because of downturn of their economy.

SAAB has also sold Erieye to Pakistan, Thailand and now Saudi Arabia so it should be a well established system with full release. It should be a good complement to AWACS.

justone

Banned Member
Not sure I understand what you are alluding to when you talk about the sale of Gripens to Thailand. Have you come across some info that they have had some problems in arm releases to Thailand? :confused: The sale/delivery was slow but I think it was because Thailand had money problems because of downturn of their economy.

SAAB has also sold Erieye to Pakistan, Thailand and now Saudi Arabia so it should be a well established system with full release. It should be a good complement to AWACS.
Oh no the deal with Thailand is doing great. The Thailand pilots are happy about the Gippens. They just got some in Thailand not to long ago. The Sweden trained the pilots and maintainance crew. That was a wounderful deal. Thailand did have money issues they made a decision to get a squadron about 6 jets. My opinion Thailand couldn't got a better deal from any other country.

Last edited:

Beatmaster

Well the saudies have seen some war and accoording to online sources they performed very well:
Gulf War (1990–1991) Together with the allied forces, Saudi Armed Forces and SANG took a major part in the Battle of Khafji and the Liberation of Kuwait.

The Saudies boosting their defence capabilities both offensive and defensive as has been pointed out in other topic's.
Appearendly Iran is a big enough danger for them then we think here in the west.
So either the saudies do know something we do not know or they just wanna be prepared to give Iran a serious run for their money, either way even with US backing its going to be a nasty fight.
Despite what other posters have said i do believe that Iran is fully capable of doing some serious harm to its direct region.
The only thing that really keeps them in line is the knowlegd that both US and NATO will come down on them real hard and real fast.
But if US and NATO would react to slow then ill bet they can give both Israel and the Saudies some real bad moments, keep in mind the Iran army aint small and they are a hell of alot better equipped as sadams army back in the last war.
True they cannot match western military standards but the question is do they really have to?
Look at the news how fragile the region is with all those nations in protest against their goverments making the "enemy" goverments way less effective and increase problems in case of a full scale war.
Eventually i believe iran would be soundly beaten both offensive and defensive as every nation would be beaten with the amount of allies that will jump in if Iran goes crazy.
But ill bet they will come out swinging hard and judging from online sources and from previous posts, iran might be a nation that talks big while they are not that big and powerfull, however we should not underestimate them as iam pretty sure that they do have a game plan, and whatever this plan might lead to it aint going to be funny.
So yes the saudies should make sure that they do what can be done to even the score with Iran before a possible war starts as having a capable army and size does send a clear tekst to any agressor: Make my day and i break your heart
Having that said lets hope that this does not come that far right? afterall regardless if a war can be won or not, a war has only losers.
I believe that every war in history did teaches us that mutch right?

STURM

Well the saudies have seen some war and accoording to online sources they performed very well:
Gulf War (1990–1991) Together with the allied forces, Saudi Armed Forces and SANG took a major part in the Battle of Khafji and the Liberation of Kuwait.
Well the problem is there is not much published works in English that provide an indepth analysis of how the Saudis performed. The best currently avaible is 'Arabs At War' by Pollack [in fact the only one i'm aware of], in which he provides analysis to show the Saudis did not perform as well as they should have, for a variety of reasons.

He makes several interestings points:

1. Despite being supported by U.S. advisors and air power, the Saudi army and SANG efforts at Khafji were conducted initialy in a haphazard and amateruish manner, according to the author of the book. Manuevering and coordinating the different arms was a major problem. Faced with more competant Iraqi units at Al Khafji and without U.S. airpower, we can only speculate how the Saudis would have performed.

2. The Saudis, as do many Arab countriers, rely on large numbers of western contractors to jobs that in many other armies, would be done by the soldiers themselves. In the 1st Gulf War Saudi M-60 crews couldn't even change the air filters of their tanks as this was done by Pakistani's.

In short, his conclusion is that despite the billions spent, the Saudis did not perform as well as they should have. Whether things have chaged since the 90's is something most of us here are unable to answer.

Appearendly Iran is a big enough danger for them then we think here in the west.
Of course it is and that's why Saudis and the Gulf states have been spending billions, it's certainly not directed at the Jamaican Defence Forces ;) . Unfortunatly, when discussing the Iranian nuclear issue and the 'threat' posed by Iran, most of the reports we get from the international mainstream press tends to view things from a Western perspective. Like I mentioned before elsewhere here in DT, we tend to forgot that the Iraninans also have their own security concerns and interests to look out for. It has U.S. troops in 2 countries it shares common borders with. On it's western flank it has neighbours who are aligned with the U.S. and who during the Iran/Iraq war poured billions and all their diplomatic support in ensuring an Iraqi victory. Unless Iran is attacked by the U.S. or by Israel for whatever reason, and despite all the nonsense the Iranian leader has said in the past, which is intended for domestic comsumption, I can't see any reasons why it would want to initiate military action.

Last edited:

justone

Banned Member
Sturm you is right about the Saudi they couldn't perform simple tasks. Having been in Saudi in 1990 they have all the equipment and military bases but lack techincial skills. The bases are just like U.S. bases very modern and comfortable. The King Khalid Base where I was station at was big and had underground bunker which I was blessed to have seen. What I seen with the Saudis they put more into the National Guard than the Regular Army which is the opposite in the U.S. Army they are reserves here in the U.S. but in SA they are like elite force. Its hard enough just pay for a Army but to pay for two army that suppose to defend the homeland is to much. The Iranian do same thing they have Revoluntionary Guard that suspose be the defender of revoluntion. It don't take a rocket science to know someone is not going to get the full amount of funding they need so you going have one of army not going be like the other.There was alot of private contactor and military trainer or advisor what ever you want to call it. I can't tell you how they are now but can tell how they was then. Most of Saudi don't perform PT like we do every morning we run 4-5 miles. Some of these were addressed to the Saudis but they insist that the National Guard be trained different and received the best available equipment there mission is to keep the King safe all member of the Guard are from the tribes of the King family. They are so afraid of the Army or other groups trying to overthrow them that insure that member of National Guard are taken care of. I will said this they are to relaxed and need to get more techincal schools and stop depending on foreign assistance that what hurt them the most and the NCO's are not like U.S. NCO's and leadership skills are not that good. I see there much work to be done with the Saudis at that time. Back in the states when National Guard units come for AT for 2 weeks we gave NG units a grade and most of the unit recieve C's only one unit we gave an B and that one we would love for to assist us If they were to be deployed in combat. The Saudi units perform like the U.S. National Guard they just didn't trained enough like our unit did. The little thing mean alot in a Army like perform simple maintainance on your tank we did Preventive maintainance on our equipment the Saudi let private contactor and other military do things they should do on there own.

Beatmaster

Ok question what do we know about the Saudi Army and its defense structure i mean facts?
And is this army ready and powerful enough to meet Iran at any location and scenario, both in offensive and defensive?

As iam reading throughout the forum iam starting to get the idea that the Saudies are being pictured as toy-soldiers with fancy stuff.
Wich i find very strange because online sources state that the saudies where ranked 6 in the world when it comes to military spendings based upon 2005 calculations.
And personally i find it very hard to believe that this money is only being spend at fancy toy's without proper education, training, maintenance and support .
And according to other sources they are ranked 5 at 2010/2011 just above uk and france. Source

So imo the saudies might lack training and skills in the past but then again there was not much need for it as the basic's where enough.
However today the climate has changed drastically wich will obvious being noticed by the saudies wich will result in training and upgrades to improve readiness and mobility as well as effectiveness.
Also the saudies have the advantage that they are in the defending role so they actually do not need to defeat the Iranians by invading iran just stop them from taking saudi ground.
correct me if iam wrong.

NICO

Ok question what do we know about the Saudi Army and its defense structure i mean facts?
And is this army ready and powerful enough to meet Iran at any location and scenario, both in offensive and defensive?

As iam reading throughout the forum iam starting to get the idea that the Saudies are being pictured as toy-soldiers with fancy stuff.
Wich i find very strange because online sources state that the saudies where ranked 6 in the world when it comes to military spendings based upon 2005 calculations.
And personally i find it very hard to believe that this money is only being spend at fancy toy's without proper education, training, maintenance and support .
And according to other sources they are ranked 5 at 2010/2011 just above uk and france. Source

So imo the saudies might lack training and skills in the past but then again there was not much need for it as the basic's where enough.
However today the climate has changed drastically wich will obvious being noticed by the saudies wich will result in training and upgrades to improve readiness and mobility as well as effectiveness.
Also the saudies have the advantage that they are in the defending role so they actually do not need to defeat the Iranians by invading iran just stop them from taking saudi ground.
correct me if iam wrong.
I think you raise the key point, does SA just buy "fancy toys" like you say or do they spend some of that money on training,parts,etc..? There's not a whole lot in the open source literature out there to let us know about how well trained and motivated your average SA soldier is. :(

Also like your other point, if SA is invaded by Iran (unlikely but this is just a scenario), one would be inclined to believe that SA soldiers would defend their country compared to a scenario where SA is the aggressor, maybe SA soldiers wouldn't be as "motivated".

justone

Banned Member
No they are not toy soldiers. Maybe you can understand if I tell you that in SA they have lots of religious school not techincal school like engineering and mechanic things you fix this might help you understand what we taking about. That what wrong with the Saudis. Now do anyone remember the Saudi had some kind of conflict with Yemen last year. From what I saw they still had some of same problems but not as bad as when I was in Saudi. They lost over 100 soldiers and the Yemen rebels or insurgents capture alot Saudi Humvees and some soldiers. I examine alot of photo and I saw some of the same stuff when I was there. For example while the Saudi were making Salat(prayer) a private contractor was fixing a bradley. There was problems with commanders and units were lost. My point is there was improvement like this operation was done by the Saudi themself.

Last edited:

Beatmaster

Ok i understand but from your previous post where you said they could not perform simple tasks and from other posts (made by others) i did get the impression that they are just wannabe GI joes....lol

Anyway now that is cleared up where does this leave the SA army against Iran regardless if this turns out in a conflict or not? As those billions are not going to be spend at just candy for kids.
See my point? also the huge arms sales by the west to the SA army ain't for nothing.
So they are preparing for the worse case scenario i think or at least try to bolster their capabilities.

Ok it seems we do not know much about SA so what do we know about Iran then? are they strong enough to invade SA and defeat it? as iam trying to get a picture what SA can and cannot do.
I mean obvious all those millions spend in hardware and such must pay off some time right?
So what options does have SA and what options does have Iran?

Iam not saying that this HAS to turn out into a conflict but from my understanding Iran does have some issues that are not for domestic needs.
For example what they said about Israel is and neighboring nations should be seen as partly propaganda but on the other hand its as real as it gets as it has been pointed out many times in the news.
So lets assume that the words of the iran leaders are not just bigtalk let assume they are real meaning full words.
Then it will come to a war sooner or later.
Either Israel takes out those nuclear facilities wich will result in a counter attack thus war.....or Iran is going to try their luck by starting a war or it turns out that those facilities are actually nuke making plants...only time will tell ill guess.
But still what options does Iran and SA have in terms of prep, and actuall battle against each other?

justone

Banned Member
Ok i understand but from your previous post where you said they could not perform simple tasks and from other posts (made by others) i did get the impression that they are just wannabe GI joes....lol

Anyway now that is cleared up where does this leave the SA army against Iran regardless if this turns out in a conflict or not? As those billions are not going to be spend at just candy for kids.
See my point? also the huge arms sales by the west to the SA army ain't for nothing.
So they are preparing for the worse case scenario i think or at least try to bolster their capabilities.

Ok it seems we do not know much about SA so what do we know about Iran then? are they strong enough to invade SA and defeat it? as iam trying to get a picture what SA can and cannot do.
I mean obvious all those millions spend in hardware and such must pay off some time right?
So what options does have SA and what options does have Iran?

Iam not saying that this HAS to turn out into a conflict but from my understanding Iran does have some issues that are not for domestic needs.
For example what they said about Israel is and neighboring nations should be seen as partly propaganda but on the other hand its as real as it gets as it has been pointed out many times in the news.
So lets assume that the words of the iran leaders are not just bigtalk let assume they are real meaning full words.
Then it will come to a war sooner or later.
Either Israel takes out those nuclear facilities wich will result in a counter attack thus war.....or Iran is going to try their luck by starting a war or it turns out that those facilities are actually nuke making plants...only time will tell ill guess.
But still what options does Iran and SA have in terms of prep, and actuall battle against each other?
Okay what I mean by simple tasks is preventive maintainance like making sure oil and other things are okay with your tank. Saudi made right decision in getting this equipment or arms from the U.S. but it come with conditions. When or if a conflict with Iran the Saudi can conduct joint operations with U.S. because it is has communication and same equipment. The Saudis or lsraelis can't do long term campaign against Iran without the U.S. because of supplies and other issues. So if this do happen they will have U.S. backing they going to need it. Now back to the question about Iran can Saudi fight Iran in a major conflict no. Iran has to many and they are willin to die in big number I don't see that happening one on one the Saudis not ready for that I can said this Iran talk a big game but they are afraid of the U.S. they want to defend against there so call revoluntion. They talk alot of bull@#$. The Saudi need the weapons to be able defend theirself. The overall conclusion is that the Iranian did takeover a holy site in Saudi Arabia in 1980 can't remember the exact year but I know it was in that time frame. Saudi need this weapons deal to defend the holy sites because the King is the guardian of the holy sites so it makes sense to get all it can why not buy the best if you have the money.

Last edited:

STURM

Also the saudies have the advantage that they are in the defending role so they actually do not need to defeat the Iranians by invading iran just stop them from taking saudi ground. correct me if iam wrong.
Saudi participation in event of a 'clash' with Iran would probably be confined to the RSAF taking part, alongside the USAF and USN, in strikes against Iran and the Saudi navy defending it's waters against possible Iranian incursions. Short of an actual land invasion of Iran, which is extremely unlucky, I can't see how the Saudi army would have an actual role to play.

Eeshaan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have always been wondering what this 'trump card' in Iran's hand is. Either it's just saber-rattling to give us a false sense of Iran's capabilities, or might the Iranian military have a trick or 2 up it's sleeve that would take even the western armed forces by surprise ?

Extremely large number of missles being fired from several positions at once to overwhelm their enemies ? Nuclear or chemical weapons ? I wonder what it could be...:confused:

Also, what would be nice to know is that although SA has begun a massive procurement and modernization programme, how have it's allies, namely USA etc. helped improve their skills and technical knowledge on all these advanced systems ?

Shouldn't SA be focusing equally on training ?

justone

Banned Member
I have always been wondering what this 'trump card' in Iran's hand is. Either it's just saber-rattling to give us a false sense of Iran's capabilities, or might the Iranian military have a trick or 2 up it's sleeve that would take even the western armed forces by surprise ?

Extremely large number of missles being fired from several positions at once to overwhelm their enemies ? Nuclear or chemical weapons ? I wonder what it could be...:confused:

Also, what would be nice to know is that although SA has begun a massive procurement and modernization programme, how have it's allies, namely USA etc. helped improve their skills and technical knowledge on all these advanced systems ?

Shouldn't SA be focusing equally on training ?
Yes I agree with you about Iranians having a trick up there sleeves I just don't know what it is. It is something to think about. The Saudis are getting the training for the weapons they purchase. The U.S. give Saudi the most assistance and these improvement are going on as we speak. The problem go deeper than that. The Saudi trying get more citizens to have or start getting more technicial skills. The King trying to get a society to accept modern ways that don't goes against Islamic principles. The whole point is the Saudis are taking on these issues with dailogue with religious leaders.

Last edited:

Beatmaster

Maybe weird question and partly off-topic but does have Iran bio or chemical weapons that they might could use in war against SA or Israel ?
And what is being done by SA to avoid large scale rocket and missile attacks?
To my understanding Israel has a fully working and integrated network to protect itself against missile attacks and airstrikes, (Not sure if it would make a big difference if Iran unleashes its full medium and long range missile capabilities)
But to my understanding Israel did put some serious effort to have at least a operational system and early warning.
So what has SA prepared to counter this? if they have prepared anything.

justone

Banned Member
Maybe weird question and partly off-topic but does have Iran bio or chemical weapons that they might could use in war against SA or Israel ?
And what is being done by SA to avoid large scale rocket and missile attacks?
To my understanding Israel has a fully working and integrated network to protect itself against missile attacks and airstrikes, (Not sure if it would make a big difference if Iran unleashes its full medium and long range missile capabilities)
But to my understanding Israel did put some serious effort to have at least a operational system and early warning.
So what has SA prepared to counter this? if they have prepared anything.
Believe it or not the SA has great missile and air defense system against Iran. They already purchase some of these in the 90's. There air defense has a U.S. defense system in the area of Persian Gulf. The SA also has a working intergrated network. I remember reading and hearing about a big air defense project assisted by the U.S. Don't know to much about there chemical or bio weapons. I will do some research on that.

idiana

The chaos over there make me remember the Domino-Effect of Communism Wave against the US during the Cold War.
It´s what happened in the countries of corruption, dictatorship, non-democracy and non-freedom. I'm pretty sure it never spread onto India or Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.