Covid-19 pandemic & Fake News - How you can help

swerve

Super Moderator
Smallpox is the other disease which comes to mind when I think of effective, worldwide vaccination programmes.
Don't tell the anti-vaxxers how dangerous the smallpox vaccine was. There was a reason why everyone wanted to stop giving smallpox vaccinations as soon as possible.

A damn sight better than smallpox, though.

Among facts that might upset anti-vaxxers: the truth about the relative risks of covid-19 & other vaccines. They seem to think covid-19 vaccines (or "the vaccine", as they call them) are more, not less, dangerous than traditional vaccines. Doh!

hauritz

I blame social media. They give anti-vaxxers the soap box to spread their stupidity to a far bigger audience than they would have gotten 20 or 30 years ago. Suddenly every idiot with an instagram account has more credibility than the medical professionals who are actually on the frontline fighting this pandemic. There are morons out there more willing to take medical advice from Joe Rogan than their own doctor.

t68

Absolutely, agree. An employer needs a protected workforce that can continue to produce. Employees that are vaccinated shouldn’t suffer layoffs due to a bunch of fellow employees missing in action due to stupidity.

Good grief, do you honestly think a fully vaccinated workforce can’t be shut down because someone has covid

It’s telling Gladys is say fully vaccinated people can enjoy more freedoms but are telling venues they will still be subject to a one person every four square metre rule. As but the nightly news reports of the last few days.

Not really a sign that they are hopeful of stopping the spread even opening only to those fully vaccinated to me IMHO.

t68

To the gist of the issue; I don't think anybody can deny that COVID19 presents a risk to health and safety and health authorities have identified that the the road out of this situation is vaccination. If someone wishes to dispute these facts they need to have better evidence than the conspiracy theories currently circulating or it will be a very short conversation.
I dont even think I have even seen someone against vaccination that are saying that Covid-19 does not represent a risk to peoples health, but its also conjecture to say that the Covid -19 vaccinations are the silver bullet to eliminating Covid 19. No one can also say how long the pandemic would go for after all the Spanish flu pandemic lasted approx. 1.5 years officially

What we are seeing now with restrictions, proposed vaccination passports and business saying those who do not get vaccinated no longer have a job are are cashing in on the politics of fear, as I showed before in statistics for Australia the number of deaths are consistent over time with the death rate of Covid-19, why doesn't big business treat Covid like the Flu. I think its time people start accepting the fact and the PM has also said that in time we have to live with Covid-19 just like we do with the flu, but we certainty do not use coercive measures for people to get the flu jab like they are doing at present and infringe on our civil liberties

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good grief, do you honestly think a fully vaccinated workforce can’t be shut down because someone has covid

It’s telling Gladys is say fully vaccinated people can enjoy more freedoms but are telling venues they will still be subject to a one person every four square metre rule. As but the nightly news reports of the last few days.

Not really a sign that they are hopeful of stopping the spread even opening only to those fully vaccinated to me IMHO.
A fully vaccinated workforce and population wouldn't be required to be shutdown because the impacts of any infection will be negligible. Unlike the current situation where the majority of the population is unvaccinated. That's what the science is suggesting at the moment. FYI read some of the scientific literature on the subject. Google Scholar is a good place to start.

WRT to the Premier of NSW and her performance during the pandemic. In comparison to other jurisdictions her performance does appear to a leave a lot to be desired. It has clearly failed and could be argued responsible for the current situation throughout the rest of Australia.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I dont even think I have even seen someone against vaccination that are saying that Covid-19 does not represent a risk to peoples health, but its also conjecture to say that the Covid -19 vaccinations are the silver bullet to eliminating Covid 19. No one can also say how long the pandemic would go for after all the Spanish flu pandemic lasted approx. 1.5 years officially

What we are seeing now with restrictions, proposed vaccination passports and business saying those who do not get vaccinated no longer have a job are are cashing in on the politics of fear, as I showed before in statistics for Australia the number of deaths are consistent over time with the death rate of Covid-19, why doesn't big business treat Covid like the Flu. I think its time people start accepting the fact and the PM has also said that in time we have to live with Covid-19 just like we do with the flu, but we certainty do not use coercive measures for people to get the flu jab like they are doing at present and infringe on our civil liberties
YOUR STATEMENT "I dont even think I have even seen someone against vaccination that are saying that Covid-19 does not represent a risk to peoples health, but its also conjecture to say that the Covid -19 vaccinations are the silver bullet to eliminating Covid 19." SHOWS THAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO DISSEMBLE. FURTHERMORE THE CIVIL LIBERTIES CLAIM AND THE CONTEXT OF YOUR RECENT POSTS ON THE SUBJECT HAVE PLACED YOU CLOSE TO THE BORDERLINE OF TROLLING.

YOU ARE BANNED FROM REPLYING TO THIS THREAD SUBJECT TO MODERATORS DISCUSSION. BE ADVISED THAT THE MODERATORS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING YOUR CONTENT IN THIS THREAD FOR THE LAST WEEK. WE HAD BEEN GIVING YOU THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT WHILST AWAITING THE OUTCOME OF THE COURT CASE. THESE TWO POSTS OF YOURS HAVE CHANGED THAT.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I will respond to this given the tone. t68 has used my words selectively. I indicated that whether or not employers had a right to mitigate risk by requiring a vaccine before the courts so lets wait for the outcome.

It seems he agrees COVID 19 is an issue but somehow interpreted ............... health authorities have identified that the the road out of this situation is vaccination as something more than a simple statement of fact, that is their conclusion.

The post did not suggest it was a silver bullet, but rather vaccines are effective even when efficacy is less that 90%. Essentially, the advice is the vaccine will allow this to be treated by the flu. Folks have a right to their own opinion but writing COVID off as like the flu runs counter the the prevalent medical opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

swerve

Super Moderator
... why doesn't big business treat Covid like the Flu.
Because it's more than ten times as lethal?

Surely that's a good reason. It's also far more likely to have long-term effects even if doesn't kill you, & it's much more infectious, so without protective measures there'd be a lot more people seriously ill in a short time than with flu, causing far greater strain on health facilities (resulting in more deaths), & much greater economic disruption due to workers off sick or caring for sick relatives who can't get into hospital.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 1 of 2: Covid-19 cases in Singapore — a new high

1. On 6 Sep 2021, the 57th person in Singapore died from complications due to Covid-19 infection. He was Covid-19 case no. 65,636, a 62-year-old male Singaporean with a history of cancer and bronchiectasis.

2. On 9 Sep 2021, Singapore’s Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 457 new Covid-19 cases — which is a new high from the last shutdown — the total number of Covid-19 cases reported is 70,039.
(a) As of 12pm on 9 Sep 2021, 664 Covid-19 cases are currently warded in Singapore hospitals. MOH says that most are well and under observation.​
(b) There are currently 26 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation, and 7 are in critical condition in the ICU. The MOH data clearly shows that heathy people can get seriously ill from Covid-19 and will kill those who have a chronic illness.​
... What we are seeing now with restrictions, proposed vaccination passports and business saying those who do not get vaccinated no longer have a job are are cashing in on the politics of fear, as I showed before in statistics for Australia the number of deaths are consistent over time with the death rate of Covid-19, why doesn't big business treat Covid like the Flu.
Because it's more than ten times as lethal?
3. Agreed, t68’s attempt at argument that vaccine passports is a form of discrimination are nonsensical in law and in fact, given the implementation of vaccine passports in numerous countries, including Singapore. Singapore’s Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said that Singapore would try its best to refrain from imposing another round of tightened restrictions. He described the old methods of suppressing every cluster and hunting down every last case through lockdowns and heightened alerts, as "unsustainable", with the far more transmissible Delta variant going around.

4. In Singapore, if you want to eat out, you show the waiter your TraceTogether App (that has our vaccination status) and there is no physical card to be carried. Over 70,000 have been infected in Singapore but at no stage, was the ICU capacity of the country overwhelmed. Spread from imported cases was managed with either a Stay-Home Notice (SHN) or isolated upon arrival in Singapore. SHN, masking, use of TraceTogether, contact tracing, testing of waste water, routine testing for Covid-19 in higher risk jobs, and use of big data, are all factors that helped Singapore manage this global pandemic that had shut down our economy twice and limited our freedoms.

5. Let me share some additional facts from Singapore. Of the 3 thousand plus infected and ill (in the last 28 days), 664 need hospitalisation and only 7 are in ICU — this MOH data must tell t68 that vaccination works.

One, 83% of all Singapore residents is vaccinated and it is very likely that we are the most vaccinated country in the world — but it doesn’t mean the heathy can stop taking precautions against the spread of break-through infections amongst the vaccinated. The Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty or Moderna vaccine has been given to 4,544,155 individuals and 86,379 individuals elected to get vaccinated using Chinese vaccines recognised in the WHO Emergency Use Listing.​
Two, MOH has released data that tells us that vaccination has a role in preventing our ICUs from being overwhelmed (of the 664 in hospitals, 7 are in ICU). Over the last 28 days, the percentage of unvaccinated people who became severely ill or died is about 5.1 to 5.2% (578 cases needing hospitalisation or community medical care), while that for the fully vaccinated is 0.8% (3,049 cases needing medical care or oxygen).​

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. DeSantis has taken a number of controversial positions on the coronavirus, including working to block mask and vaccine mandates at local levels and in school districts, even as Florida endures a precipitous rise in COVID-19 cases. Leon County Judge John Cooper ruled to vacate an automatic stay given to the state after it appealed his previous decision stating that DeSantis’s executive order banning school mandates is unconstitutional. As court cases have shown, mask mandates in schools are legal. Nut cases like Ron DeSantis will be over ruled by the courts.

2. Successful Covid-19 management is the key to any economic recovery. If the Covid-19 infection rate drops, economy goes up — Biden wins. Republicans like DeSantis want the economy to fail under Biden. It’s not that Republicans think the plan won’t work, they are terrified it will. Therefore, the inevitable happened. In line with legal measures implemented by other countries, President Biden announced the most sweeping COVID-19 vaccine requirements. The new measures include a vaccine mandate for all federal workers and contractors, and a requirement that large companies must mandate vaccines or regular weekly testing for employees.

3. "My job as president is to protect all Americans," Mr. Biden said on 9 Sep 2021. "So tonight, I'm announcing that the Department of Labor is developing an emergency rule to require all employers with 100 or more employees that together employ over 80 million workers to ensure their workforces are fully vaccinated or show a negative test at least once a week."

4. Many including Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health, applauded President Joe Biden’s push to increase vaccine mandates covering millions of U.S. workers. “People don’t want to change jobs, people don’t want to be inconvenienced,” said Jha on CNBC. As others like Stuart Stevens (a Republican who helped found the Lincoln Project) have said: “A year from now, a lot of people will be alive and a lot of people will have avoided getting sick because of an action by a president. That seems like the sort of business presidents should be in.”

5. In a recent report, they have identified more than 500 sites that have published false information about the COVID-19, and even came out with a list of the 50 of the top COVID vaccines myths circulating online.

6. The rise in Covid-19 cases has accompanied the advancement of vaccination programs in the West with the majority of adults in both the U.S. and Europe now fully vaccinated. In the U.S., 62.4% of all people over 12 years of age are fully vaccinated, CDC data shows, while over 82% of over-65s are fully protected. In the U.K., 80.4% of the population over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated and in the EU/EEA, 70.4% of adults have received two doses of a coronavirus vaccine, ECDC data shows.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well Pres. Biden's no jab, no job, directive is going to go down like a bucket of hot sick in in the Land of the Free. The lawyers will be loving this with law suits coming thick and fast. The Supreme Court is full of Conservative Republican appointees so odds on they will find against the President.

However he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. It makes public health and economic sense for such a ruling to be made. However the fundamentalist Republican Party factions, conservative and fundamentalist Christian churches will rant and rave against this, making the situation more divisive.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 1 of 3: Team Biden 6 prong Plan

Well Pres. Biden's no jab, no job, directive is going to go down like a bucket of hot sick in in the Land of the Free…

…However the fundamentalist Republican Party factions, conservative and fundamentalist Christian churches will rant and rave against this, making the situation more divisive.
1. IMO, this is a fight Team Biden will win — he has the cross-over support and a core team to push all 6 prongs of the plan through. For 4 of the 6 prongs, in bold, he has bi-partisan support — even the courts have shown support masking mandates for schools.
  • Vaccinating the Unvaccinated
  • Furthering Protection for the Vaccinated
  • Keeping Schools Safely Open
  • Increasing Testing and Requiring Masking
  • Protecting Economic Recovery
  • Improving Care for Those with COVID-19
2. At this stage, sensible Republicans are sick of being held hostage by idiots within their own party. Republican Govs. Greg Abbott of Texas and Ron DeSantis of Florida have seen their approval ratings dip amid an alarming rise of Covid-19 infections and hospitalizations in both states over the past few months, with an increasing number of voters, particularly independents, saying they disapprove of DeSantis and Abbott’s performance, according to a Morning Consult poll. Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis are without moderate Republican support. If they can’t win over moderates in their own party, the independents will not embrace them. At this stage, the democrats are not going to switch sides.

3. There are parts of the Team Biden plan that sensible Republicans will find hard to oppose, if they want to win the next election. Biden's plan will be centered around 6 pronged plan and it’s main risk is execution.

4. In relation to Vaccinating the Unvaccinated:
(a) on 9 Sep 2021, President Biden issued the 1st executive order requiring all executive branch employees to be vaccinated and 2nd executive order that will likely result in a similar mandate for certain employees of federal contractors. In the 3rd, the Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is developing a rule requiring all employers with at least 100 employees to make sure their workforce is fully vaccinated or require unvaccinated workers to get a negative test at least once a week.​
(b) OSHA will issue a new emergency temporary standard (ETS). Companies that fail to comply could face fines of $14,000 per violation, Mr. Biden said. We can expect to see the ETS in “the coming weeks.” For background, I note that the COVID-19 ETS for healthcare issued on 10 Jun 2021, requires healthcare employers to pay for vaccinations and provide a brief amount of paid leave to employees to get vaccinated and recover from any potential side effects of vaccination.​

5. President Biden, when asked about GOP challenges to his vaccine mandate: "Have at it. I am so disappointed that particularly some of the Republican governors have been so cavalier with the health of these kids, so cavalier with the health of their communities. ... This isn't a game." In addition, the OSHA ruling provides for testing as an alternative — which means a court challenge will fail at the 1st hurdle. Further, the ruling does not apply to all companies, only those with 100 employees or more — which provides a second hurdle. Combined, they are not surmountable at court.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
OFF TOPIC.

IMHO between now and midterms there needs to be a clean out of the Republican Party fundamentalists and a return to the moderates. Won't happen because of to many vested interests, but maybe some of the larger and corporate donors will reduce or cancel their donations because of the extremism and disfunction that has afflicted the Party. The reduction in the funding would certainly grab attention and hopefully wake a few ideas up.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 2 of 3: Team Biden 6 prong Plan

OFF TOPIC.

IMHO between now and midterms there needs to be a clean out of the Republican Party fundamentalists and a return to the moderates. Won't happen because of to many vested interests, but maybe some of the larger and corporate donors will reduce or cancel their donations because of the extremism and disfunction that has afflicted the Party. The reduction in the funding would certainly grab attention and hopefully wake a few ideas up.
6. The DeSantis and Abbott Covid-19 clown show are not going to be supported by the larger private and corporate donors, with national reach — as they are hurting schools (that children of executives go to), the cruise industry (by making it very unsafe to sail), the insurance companies (creating the need for multiple large payouts for families with people in ICU) and banks (who will have to start numerous insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings).
(a) Despite constant downplaying, DeSantis acts like a presidential candidate. He traipses around the nation attending high-profile fundraising events with his PAC, which has raised US$36.7 million thus far in 2021 (US$17 million from out-of-state donors), a presidentially encouraging amount — but he forgets that Florida, IMHO, will be a swing state again by 2024. This is a state where the Democrats have a fighting chance even as early as 2022 — given Covid-19 trends. #DeathSantis, #DeSantisVariant, and #DesantisDestroysFlorida are trending, and DeSantis is a dead man walking. In contrast, Abbott will just shake off the labels of #AbbottMustGo, and #AbbottFailedTexasAgain, due to his ability to raise funds within his state. In American politics, an incumbent, in a GOP state, that is as well funded as Abbott almost never loses.​
  • Vaccines: free
  • Masks: .99 cents
  • Regeneron: $1,500 per treatment
  • How much Regeneron stock does Ron DeSantis own?
(b) In Florida and Texas, the teacher shortage has spilled over to substitute teachers; officials say most substitutes tend to be retired teachers and many don’t want to come back to classrooms during this stage of the pandemic. The Lincoln Project has started to identify big businesses to target for funds to push these idiots out of power.​
(c) Abbott, who recently tested positive for Covid-19, is now facing at least three challengers in the 2022 GOP primary: Don Huffines, a former state senator, whose billboards lining Texas highways call for an end to property taxes; Allen West, a former Florida Tea Party congressman who moved to Texas and became state Republican Party chair; and Chad Prather, a conservative commentator and comedian. Abbott’s approach is to appear more tea party like, while not being actually nuts like Allen West. Abbott’s relentless fundraising, which fuels an expansive voter outreach effort, is another key reason he has held onto power. The governor devotes an enormous amount of time to the task, those who know him say, making donor calls himself armed with extensive notes.​
(d) “We are dealing with issues that are being brought up by Gov. DeSantis in Florida, and we are just trying to keep up with the Joneses,” says Lyle Larson, a moderate Republican Texas state representative who has previously clashed with Abbott. Larson argues the special sessions could have been opportunities to shore up the state’s power grid or address issues like healthcare and education, rather than injecting Texas into the national culture wars. Some Texas Republican strategists, lawmakers and others familiar with Abbott’s operations worry he already has moved too far to the right. After all, he’s the front runner, with loads of money in the bank; in a state that votes GOP.​

7. Can we not deal with pure politics, in this thread? I don’t want to go further down that rabbit hole — and end up banning myself.

Last edited:

At lakes

Auckland City Hospital sexcapade gains global attention on Colbert's Late Show

On a lighter side, A couple got caught having sex on an open ward in Auckland Hospital. The patient in the next bed was concerned and complained about the possibility of the transmission of COVID19 whilst engaged in this sort of activity. In reality the complainant was most likely correct there would be I would imagine a very high chance of infection if one of the couple was infected.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 2 of 2: Covid-19 cases in Singapore — a new high

6. With the spread of Delta, it is currently killing the elderly at the rate of 1 or 2 per week, in Singapore — with the death rate expected to rise. On 10 Sep 2021, the 58th person in Singapore died from complications due to Covid-19 infection. He was Covid-19 case no. 72,986, a 80-year-old male Singaporean had been partially vaccinated against Covid-19, and had a history of diabetes mellitus, heart failure, hypertension and hyperlipidaemia.

7. On 10 Sep 2021, Singapore’s Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 573 new Covid-19 cases — which is a new high from the last report — the total number of Covid-19 cases reported is 70,612.

8. There are currently 25 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation, and 6 are in critical condition in the ICU — for a total of 31. I wish the 6 in the ICU well but Delta is a killer — the chance of survival of those in the ICU is not high.

9. Of those who have fallen very ill, 27 are seniors above 60 years. To address this, the MOH has sent 10 mobile vaccination teams to the heartlands. These mobile vaccination teams are deployed at locations near where many seniors live, such as at selected Community Clubs/Centres that are not already being used as Vaccination Centres, or at the Residents’ Committee centres.

10. Over the last 28 days, the percentage of unvaccinated people who became severely ill or died is 4.5%, while that for the fully vaccinated is 0.7%.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Auckland City Hospital sexcapade gains global attention on Colbert's Late Show

On a lighter side, A couple got caught having sex on an open ward in Auckland Hospital. The patient in the next bed was concerned and complained about the possibility of the transmission of COVID19 whilst engaged in this sort of activity. In reality the complainant was most likely correct there would be I would imagine a very high chance of infection if one of the couple was infected.
Yes it's been the subject of a bit of mirth here. One has to wonder if the complainant was jealous because he was missing out. On the serious side though, Auckland District Health Board is the only DHB that allows visitors to the hospital under Level 4 lockdown. All the other DHBs restrict visiting to very exceptional circumstances only.

cdxbow

Yes it's been the subject of a bit of mirth here. One has to wonder if the complainant was jealous because he was missing out. On the serious side though, Auckland District Health Board is the only DHB that allows visitors to the hospital under Level 4 lockdown. All the other DHBs restrict visiting to very exceptional circumstances only.
During Melbournes bad episode last year, one of the event that started it was a quarantine guard who exchanged bodily fluids with a lady in Quarantine. The guards were probably told to look after them closely and this bloke took it a little bit too far. Sex in hospital wards is not that uncommon, I stumbled into a nurse in the act with one of the spinal patients, clearly he was a para and not a quad. Another time a couple started rooting on a bonnet of a car in the ED carpark. Then there was the time I was sick with septicemia in RMH after returning from PNG and my ex wife took me off to the clinical room and...........

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 3 of 3: Team Biden 6 prong Plan

8. There have been no COVID-19 outbreaks in San Francisco schools since students and educators went back into classrooms on Aug. 16, the San Francisco Department of Public Health announced, noting that about 90% of children ages 12 to 17 are fully vaccinated.

9. Further, in this thread, I am only posting bare minimum info for context to show that t68 is mistaken at multiple levels:

One, vaccine mandates can be implanted legally in America and Australia. There’s legal precedent in Team Biden’s favor that establishes the federal government’s authority to mandate vaccinations, said Larry Stuart, a Houston employment lawyer — pointing to a 1905 Supreme Court case in which the justices ruled that states could enforce mandatory vaccinations against smallpox. This is why I expect the OSHA ruling to sail through any legal challenge.​
Two, mandating masking is allowed and it is not a constitutional right to ‘not wear masks’ and “all businesses have the right to refuse service so long as it is not violating one of those protected classes,” said Robert Mascari, chief assistant district attorney in Madison County. “You can’t refuse to serve me because I’m half Italian and half Irish. You can refuse to serve me if I’m being an idiot.” As a general rule governments, have the power to regulate in the name of safety. In a pandemic, state governments really are the key players.​
Three, if a School District, a local government or federal government issues a “must wear” or vaccinate (to attend in-person classes) order, it gives a business or school a lot of legal cover to enforce requirements. Without the government’s order, an individual business or school might run into some trouble denying customers or students who claim to have disabilities that prevent them from wearing masks. The Los Angeles Unified School District, for example, as the second-largest school district in the country, approved a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for students 12 and older — one of the most aggressive measures taken by any school district to protect children.​
Four, OSHA says: “employers may choose to ensure that cloth face coverings are worn as a feasible means of abatement in a control plan designed to address hazards from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Employers may choose to use cloth face coverings as a means of source control, such as because of transmission risk that cannot be controlled through engineering or administrative controls, including social distancing.”​

10. President Biden’s 3 executive orders establish a societal norm for minimum standard in an employer’s duty of care to employees; while it may not apply to small businesses, it creates a market differential for safe to work offices and unsafe to work offices. By writing 3 executive orders, Team Biden force the Republicans (who are opposed to file 3 different challenges at court). Not only are Republican attempts likely to fail, they are costly to fight.

11. Legal hurdles specified in paragraphs 4(a), and 5 above (in most OSHA rulings) tend to work in favour of executive and the courts will want to rule in favour of them — due to well established constitutional law precedents. In an exception to this rule, on 10 Sep 2021, the First District Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, issuing a stay in a case that effectively reinstates his ban on mask mandates in the state's public schools to the dismay of many parents and teachers. In response to this discord being sowed by many Republicans, the Biden administration, has issued the following orders and ordered investigations, as follows:
(a) OSHA announced on 21 Mar 2021, a 12-month National Emphasis Program (NEP) for COVID-19 workplace inspections has been implemented. Meat packing plants and a broad list of identified industries now are more likely to experience on-site inspections and enforcement activities. Employers should be prepared to determine if they are subject to the NEP, and to enhance their COVID-19 safety protocols.​
(b) The U.S. Department of Education Civil Rights office is concerned that Florida’s policy requiring public schools and school districts to allow parents to opt their children out of mask mandates may be preventing schools in Florida from meeting their legal obligations not to discriminate based on disability. The investigation in Florida hinges on a pandemic-era use of federal civil rights law. In the letter to the Florida Department of Education, federal officials expressed concerned that restrictions on mask use could keep schools from complying with federal laws that protect disabled students from discrimination. The investigations will also assess whether school mask bans violate the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.​
(c) In Florida, 13 school districts encompassing 1.7 million students enacted mask mandates against the wishes of the DeSantis administration — including five in GOP-leaning counties — opening local board members to state sanctions. In addition, 3 school boards are challenging a Florida Department of Health rule designed to prevent districts from requiring students to wear masks during the COVID-19 pandemic. Attorneys for the school boards in Alachua, Broward and Orange counties filed the challenge Friday in the state Division of Administrative Hearings. It takes aim at an emergency rule the Department of Health issued last month as part of an effort, spearheaded by Gov. Ron DeSantis, to block mask mandates.​
(d) The fight has drawn in the Biden Administration — only board members in 2 of the 13 defiant counties, Alachua and Broward, have been officially penalized by the Florida Department of Education, which withheld their monthly salaries.​
12. A viral video of a woman deliberately coughing on masked shoppers at a Nebraska grocery store while laughing and calling them “sheep” has a perhaps-not-altogether-surprising local angle: the woman appears to be from Scottsdale. It took amateur sleuths just a few days to identify the woman as Janene Hoskovec, who at that time worked for SAP — a longtime Scottsdale resident, at least according to her social media. SAP put out a brief statement on Twitter, apparently in reference to the incident. “The health and safety of our employees and the communities in which we live and work are of utmost concern to us,” it reads. “We are taking the matter of an SAP employee incident very seriously and investigating the situation.” Later, SAP says she's no longer with the company.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The real problem now is the Republican Party have put their stubborn into hyperdrive mode and are doubling down on their opposition to COVID-19 pandemic prevention measures. They have regressed to the toddler tantrum stage. Unfortunately they will drag this through the Courts which will take years as they litigate and relitigate.