China - Geostrategic & Geopolitical.

Sandhi Yudha

China's reminder to Nato: it is a country of peaceful development.

China's rebuttal came on the same day that it flew 28 air force jets into Taiwan's air defence zone, the island's government said. It is the fifth incursion this month, and the largest to date.

TaiChen

China's reminder to Nato: it is a country of peaceful development.

China's rebuttal came on the same day that it flew 28 air force jets into Taiwan's air defence zone, the island's government said. It is the fifth incursion this month, and the largest to date.

True, but China does not recognize Taiwan.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True, but China does not recognize Taiwan.
Welcome to the forum. We hope that you enjoy your time here and we look forward to your contributions. We do have a set of rules and require all posters to follow them. Please read them before posting again. Also note that one line posts are not acceptable.

The PRC does recognise Taiwan, but as a province of the mainland and not as an independent state. Bear in mind that a state of civil war still exists in China because the CCP haven't annihilated the Nationalists who still exist on Taiwan. Whilst the Nationalists have accepted that they cannot retake the mainland and have publicly stated that, the CCP has never renounced its intention of invading Taiwan. Hence my statement that the civil war still exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boatteacher

Setting aside issues within the SCS, where questions of contested sovereignty and overlapping EEZ's at least arises (or is argued by at least one party to arise), I haven't found any discussion of how a country can properly deal with an invasion of its EEZ by an a numerically large foreign fishing fleet; especially one that might be armed.

It might be assumed any navy or coastguard/ border force of the 'invaded' country will be substantially outnumbered and deliberate collisions might possibly be used against any smaller ships sent out as a police presence to try and and actually divert them out of the EEZ or board and arrest offenders.

Is there any accepted legitimate response to such an event?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Setting aside issues within the SCS, where questions of contested sovereignty and overlapping EEZ's at least arises (or is argued by at least one party to arise), I haven't found any discussion of how a country can properly deal with an invasion of its EEZ by an a numerically large foreign fishing fleet; especially one that might be armed.

It might be assumed any navy or coastguard/ border force of the 'invaded' country will be substantially outnumbered and deliberate collisions might possibly be used against any smaller ships sent out as a police presence to try and and actually divert them out of the EEZ or board and arrest offenders.

Is there any accepted legitimate response to such an event?
Illegal foreign fishing vessels in a nation's EEZ can be boarded and arrested. If it is a naval vessel enforcing the law, then any attempt by a foreign power to interfere with that naval vessel, by force, can be regarded as an attack by the foreign power on the naval vessel's home country. This is because a naval vessel is regarded as sovereign territory regardless of where in the world it sails. Paramilitary, police, coastguard, fisheries protection etc., vessels do not have the same sovereign territory status. To put it into context, an Islamic Iranian Navy ship has the sovereign territory status, but an Islamic Iranian Republican Guard Navy doesn't have sovereign territory status.

Boagrius

Dear lord.

"Islamophobia in the west"

What about the Uighurs?

"I am only concerned with what happens on my borders" (!?)

Xinjiang IS on your border

"We only talk to the Chinese behind closed doors"

Chilling...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Imran Khan shows what fealty to China looks like Pakistan PM mum about China's crackdown on Uyghur Muslims - Axios Another good interview by Jonathon Swan.
Well Pakistan isn't alone in being the only Muslim country being quiet about the PRC treatment of the Uyhgurs. Offhand I cannot think of any Muslim nation openly protesting about the treatment of the Uyhgurs. I maybe wrong and I hope that I am.
Dear lord.

"Islamophobia in the west"

What about the Uighurs?

"I am only concerned with what happens on my borders" (!?)

Xinjiang IS on your border

"We only talk to the Chinese behind closed doors"

Chilling...
And your point is? We know what the PRC have been doing. Evidence has been presented and the shrill denials and attacks that emanate from Beijing just reinforce the claims against them. We know that Beijing lies, and lies a lot because they have been caught out so often. Yes what is happening to the Uyhgurs is genocide and crimes against humanity. It makes the CCP no better than the Nazis or Pol Pot. But what is also wrong in my eyes is the lack of condemnation from fellow Muslims to the wholesale persecution of Uyhgurs because of their Muslim faith.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pakistan isn't exactly in a great position to argue with China. I don't see them ever enthusiastically razing human rights issues against China in a forceful public way.

However, Imran you can see wasn't comfortable with the issue, and its a difficult one for him to provide any answer on. However, Imran is an interesting leader for Pakistan. I had hoped he would be a positive change for Pakistan. There are parts of this in the interview, covid response etc.

The interview that I saw on youtube, is fantastic, Imran makes for a good interview OZ 60 minutes has had a few with him previously before coming to power. Swan made a very interesting pick. By interviewing Imran he is interviewing US policy in the sub continent.. Maybe angling to ask the current US president these questions.

Good stuff by Jonathan Swan.. I didn't realize who his father was to just now. (norman swan).

Challenging questions about what happens in Afghanistan. The China questions bring the wider China context to global politics. Also is what is happening, how are the Chinese likely to play. China's policy on Afghanistan is likely to be informed by Imran's views.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Now most nation Globally has their debt burden ratio increase during the COVID. However if you see the Chart in the article, China Debt Ratio increase significantly this past decade.

With their economic development actually it's undestandable. However most of Chinese debt are coming from private commercial sectors. For us in Financial industries, it is already known for sometime. However the rapid increase on this commercial sector debt also increase China"s commercial bad debt. Which from time to time, has to be covered by Chinese Financial Insitutions. Several times also by Government Incentive support.

My point on putting this to shown that China economics base is not as solid as many Fifty Cents armies put in Social Media and online sources. However on other hand is also not as rotten that some in the West tried to pictured it.

China economics based basically more and more behave like many large Global economies. Relied on capital and money markets, and Investors confidences. Thus the abilities of Chinese Government to control the growth like through 90's and first decade of 21st century, actualy diminishing somewhat and more has to follow market sentiments.

This make their growth will be hard to achieve the level they achieve two dacades ago, cause simply because their economies are maturing.
Don't get me wrong, they are still going to growth faster than the average of OECD countries for at least another decade. However not by much, and will not going back to the rate they have achieve in 90's and first decade of this century.

Thus this is just to shown there are limits on China growth machine. Which make them in the end has to find compromise in the market. Something which make them has to find new market to keep them growing, outside the OECD mature markets.

This is why they need developing/third world badly. Not just for diplomatics gain, however to gain future market growth.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
New PLA(N) submarine — the new Type-039C SSK on the Huangpu River in Shanghai. This submarine sports a sail shape that resembles the Swedish Saab A26 design (without the x-rudder and the hydroplanes are also positioned differently). China is one of a few navies that operate both nuclear boats and AIP equipped SSKs.

The new Type-039C likely uses a closed-cycle Stirling engine, similar to that on the A-26; superior in underwater endurance when compared to Indonesia's 3 new Nagapasa-class boats, Malaysia’s 2 ageing Scorpène-class, Myanmar’s obsolete UMS Minye Theinkhathu (a Kilo class submarine transferred by India) and Vietnam’s 6 Kilo class boats.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
New PLA(N) submarine, the new Type-039C SSK on the Huangpu River in Shanghai. This submarine sports a sail shape that resembles the Swedish Saab A26 design (without the x-rudder and the hydroplanes are also positioned differently). China is one of a few navies that operate both nuclear boats and AIP equipped SSKs.

The new Type-039C likely uses a closed-cycle Stirling engine, similar to that on the A-26; superior in underwater endurance when compared to Indonesia's 3 new Nagapasa-class boats, Malaysia’s 2 ageing Scorpène-class boats, Myanmar’s obsolete UMS Minye Theinkhathu (a Kilo class submarine transferred by India) and Vietnam’s 6 Kilo class boats.
Yep. H I Sutton on Twitter has some interesting comments about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An interesting article in Foreign Affairs that discusses how the PRC views the US.

"The CCP’s official line remains that bilateral ties should be guided by the principle of “no conflict, no confrontation, mutual respect, and win-win cooperation,” as Chinese President Xi Jinping described it in his first telephone conversation with U.S. President Joe Biden, in February. Nevertheless, just as American views on China have hardened in recent years, so have many Chinese officials come to take a dimmer view of the United States. The conventional wisdom in Beijing holds that the United States is the greatest external challenge to China’s national security, sovereignty, and internal stability. Most Chinese observers now believe that the United States is driven by fear and envy to contain China in every possible way. And although American policy elites are clearly aware of how that view has taken hold in China, many of them miss the fact that from Beijing’s perspective, it is the United States—and not China—that has fostered this newly adversarial environment, especially by carrying out what the CCP views as a decades-long campaign of meddling in China’s internal affairs with the goal of weakening the party’s grip on power. Better understanding these diverging views of recent history would help the two countries find a way to manage the competition between them and avoid a devastating conflict that no one wants."​
"Chinese officials are particularly irritated by what they see as American meddling in restive regions of China. In 2008, when a riot took place in Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, the CCP saw the violence as the intentional result of long-term U.S. support for Tibetan separatists living overseas and led by the Dalai Lama, who was granted nine meetings with U.S. presidents between 1991 and 2008. Chinese state media in early 2009 asserted that “the Dalai clique has in fact become a tool for U.S. rude interference into China’s internal affairs and attempts to split China.” In 2018, Trump enacted a law that requires the U.S. Department of State to punish Chinese officials who bar Americans from traveling freely to Tibet, a move that China’s Foreign Ministry condemned as “grossly interfering in China’s domestic affairs.”
More recently, the western Chinese region of Xinjiang has become a major source of friction. Beijing charges that violent riots there in July 2009 were planned and organized from abroad and that Uyghur activists in the United States who received encouragement and support from American officials and organizations acted as a “black hand” behind the unrest. In 2019, human rights groups in the United States accused the CCP of engaging in the surveillance and torture of Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities and of detaining at least one million people in camps in Xinjiang. In 2020, the U.S. Congress passed legislation requiring the federal government to report on abuses in the region. And in March, the Biden administration labeled China’s actions in Xinjiang a “genocide” and sanctioned Chinese officials in charge of security affairs in the region. Beijing has repeatedly denied that allegation and accused Washington of being “obsessed with fabricating lies and plotting to use Xinjiang-related issues to contain China and create [a] mess in China,” in the words of the spokesperson of the Permanent Mission of China to the UN."​

So the CCP are hanging on to their age old boogie man.

Meanwhile the Japanese Yasuhide Nakayama, State Minister of Defence has said that Japan and Taiwan are family and "Its security “is clearly related to Okinawa’s protection,” part of Japan." He also said during the Hudson Institute online forum that "Okinawa and Taiwan are “kind of like nose and eyes, really close”." He went on to say that "“Democratic countries have to protect democratic countries and allies” against “the autocrats,” China and Russia. Nakayama said the security domains ranged from air, sea, land, cyber and space to include electronic warfare."

So this appears to be a change in Japanese policy which will elicit screams of self righteous indignation from Beijing, and the tearing of hair by the current occupant of the Blue House in Seoul :D However it is a good move on the part of Japan and signals its willingness to become more involved in the security of the region beyond its own territory.

Stampede

So a happy 100th Birthday to the CCP.

A little address to the nation and suggest the world from Xi Jinping.

Recent :ABC news post

Looking forward and not back, what are we to make of China's aspirations and intent going forward?

Are China, Taiwan , the region, in fact the world on "the same page "

Hmmmmmm!

Regards S

Sandhi Yudha

Now this Prenatal test developed with Chinese military harvesting gene data is interesting if true. Why would a military want to have population genetic information? To create a biological weapon aimed at particular ethnic groups while not affecting others, perhaps? Or am I getting a little too carried away with SciFi and paranoia?
There can never be a good reason for such things, at least not for the women where samples have been taken from.

Even just keeping the gene data in a database combined with the personal and health information is a violation of the privacy and human rights. Just creepy.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Or am I getting a little too carried away with SciFi and paranoia?
It's first step for genetic selection fetus. It will then provide technology for artificial womb with genetic selection, just like Kryptonian did. :D

Next human generations genetic codes will be stored on AI coding as in Codex of Kandor.

Sandhi Yudha

It's first step for genetic selection fetus. It will then provide technology for artificial womb with genetic selection, just like Kryptonian did. :D

Next human generations genetic codes will be stored on AI coding as in Codex of Kandor.
Well, now i think about it.
The Democratic People's Republic of China steals everything from other countries, so i will not be surprised if they try to copy now superior genetical characteristics from all over the world, to mix it later with Xi's DNA to create genetically modified super babies.

With other words, they have a good reason to collect everyone 's genetical codes, because they want to improve humanity!

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well, now i think about it.
The Democratic People's Republic of China steals everything from other countries, so i will not be surprised if they try to copy now superior genetical characteristics from all over the world, to mix it later with Xi's DNA to create genetically modified super babies.

With other words, the have a good reason to collect everyone 's genetical codes, because they want to improve humanity!
Damn I will have to build me an Ironman suit with all the fancy gadgets on it, powered by a probability drive and flux capacitor.

Sandhi Yudha

Damn I will have to build me an Ironman suit with all the fancy gadgets on it, powered by a probability drive and flux capacitor.
The availability of those two components is very limited these days. Only one country still makes them.....guess which country...

Good luck with it!