Australian Army Discussions and Updates

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The 40 number was set in the early 2000s, if not before. Since then there has been the increased emphasis on ops in the region and ops from the LHDs, so if they could be persuaded to 48 (plus the extra 12 Romeos for Navy) it would be a Really Good Thing.

The R and M still share a considerable number of commonalities in the airframe and drive train, if not the avionics. But in Aust the As and Bs didn’t have much in common in the avionics systems either.

the road runner

This has been a long time coming ....The MH 60M is the special forces variant flown by the 160th SOARS Night stalkers. This will be a major upgrade for the ADF and would be the reason for cancelling Land 2057 Phase 4?

As a taxpayer i am wondering how we could re coup money from the investment of the NH90..sell them..try to re coup funds contractually threw NHiNDUSTRIES? Wonder how the Baguette Brigade will respond to this one !

Redlands18

This has been a long time coming ....The MH 60M is the special forces variant flown by the 160th SOARS Night stalkers. This will be a major upgrade for the ADF and would be the reason for cancelling Land 2057 Phase 4?

As a taxpayer i am wondering how we could re coup money from the investment of the NH90..sell them..try to re coup funds contractually threw NHiNDUSTRIES? Wonder how the Baguette Brigade will respond to this one !
Yes I could see a number of MH-60M as part of the deal maybe even with the re-fuelling probe, at least FFBNW.

seaspear

If the U.S army is seeking to replace the Blackhawk should those options be considered
Would potential aircraft ordered be users of air to air refueling from the new Hercules

cdxbow

So we will be going with a wholly US fleet..

Apache
Chinook
Blackhawks
Seahawks

Pushing the C27 for more C130's.
And so ends our euro adventures.
I think it's more of a farce or a tragedy, than an 'adventure'.
A terrible waste. A billion dollars builds and equips a tertiary referral hospital.
I hope the NZDF grab the opportunity to stock up on some more airlift.

Redlands18

If the U.S army is seeking to replace the Blackhawk should those options be considered
Would potential aircraft ordered be users of air to air refueling from the new Hercules
Not even close to being ready to order, they where shaping up well for a Taipan replacement in the mid to late 30s.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe all the helos Chinook, Blackhawk, Seahawk, and apache will be able to use the refuelling.
As well as the superhornet.

Not the F-35A's, and obviously the C17, etc.. Airforce has different system.

Still a bit surprised we aren't interested in the Chinook Blk II.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Media release from the Def Min:

Doesn’t provide any great detail, but it is confirmation of the plan to replace the MRH90 fleet with Black Hawks.

Lolcake

Are the 12 seahawks ones that were already ordered or is this an additional batch of 12?

Guess nz will be buying a good amount of our taipans

hauritz

I always wondered about the Lockheed leak concerning the KC130J for the RAAF. It all kind of makes sense now.

Lolcake

I always wondered about the Lockheed leak concerning the KC130J for the RAAF. It all kind of makes sense now.
Indeed. The c-27j being re-roled is a tell-tale sign that it may be next to go.

Might be seeing that announcement of 24 c-130s and 6 kc-130s next

Redlands18

Are the 12 seahawks ones that were already ordered or is this an additional batch of 12?

Guess nz will be buying a good amount of our taipans
Would be pretty sure they are the 12 we already know about, what would the RAN need 48 Sea Hawks for? don't have enough ships for that many and its the Armies responsibility to provide the tactical Aviation for the LHDs.

seaspear

Does it not make sense to have a common source for logistics when it would likely be the U.S that Australia would most likely operate with

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it not make sense to have a common source for logistics when it would likely be the U.S that Australia would most likely operate with
Its not just logistics apparently.

Its integrating everything within the battlespace. The euros are apparently not "there" yet. Plus the US does logistics differently, they tend to have dedicated warehouses of spares ready to go, where Europe tends to do the cannibal thing.

IMO the end outcome is going to be better for all concerned. Seahawk/Blackhawks have a family commonality, and are proven platforms. US integrates all their stuff into all their other stuff. US has a large fleet, and uses them at a high operational tempo.

I wonder if this is part of the delay of fitting Phalanx onto the LHD's as planned. There is no problem fitting them, but if they are going to light up every Tiger or Taipan that attempts landing, well, that is a bit of a problem.

Would be pretty sure they are the 12 we already know about, what would the RAN need 48 Sea Hawks for? don't have enough ships for that many and its the Armies responsibility to provide the tactical Aviation for the LHDs.
We could operate the LHD's as ASW carriers. But I don't think we are getting 48 seahawks, at this stage. But the LHD's were refitted with new four blade props and new CIWS.

Stampede

So the speculation and wish lists for many have come true.
Army is to get new Blackhawks and the MRH-90 Taipan is gone.

I have no doubt that the latest Blackhawk is a solid ,trusted and well proven platform.
US supply chain and alliance compatibility will be a plus.

Still at the end of the day it is a lot of coin.

The Taipan must of been a complete dog of a platform to justify such unscheduled expenditure for a platform essentially in midlife.

Regards S