Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Stampede

@oldsig127 put a link to a Sky News article on the RAAF thread concerning Australia ordering Apache’s before the end of this year. Not that i would treat Sky News as a particularly reliable source.
Correct about Sky News but but APDR have some creditability.
Anyway a project that will need to get a move if we want them in service by the mid to late 20's.

Regards S

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Probably a dumb question but has the AH-64E been marinised? I know the Brits certified and successfully operated their unique Apaches from Ocean but I don't know about regular Apaches.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Probably a dumb question but has the AH-64E been marinised? I know the Brits certified and successfully operated their unique Apaches from Ocean but I don't know about regular Apaches.
Not properly in the way that AH-1Z is, but no other attack helicopter is either.

But providing a specifically marinised helicopter isn’t a requirement the vendors have to meet, hence why Boeing and Airbus are having a serious crack at the contract.

The RFI according to DTR Magazine only requires the vendors to demonstrate how their solution will meet the requirement to operate in an amphibious role, off the LHD’s. There is no specific marinisation requirement.

Stampede

A interesting observation by Marcus Hellyer in todays The Strategist.
It was an opinion piece about the budget with reference to defence.

"The MRH-90 helicopters’ flying hours plummeted in 2019–20, from a planned 9,670 hours to a mere 5,168 hours—the worst result in six years, despite (or perhaps because of) their contribution to Operation Bushfire Assist. They’re probably costing well in excess of $30,000 per hour of flight time. The MRH-90 is Defence’s fourth most expensive capability and Australians should expect better value for money. If, as the government has stated, Defence will be required to increase its contributions to domestic disaster relief, it’s going to need a much more reliable and affordable helicopter."

I do want to like the MRH-90 but it still appears not to be living up to expectations.

Thoughts

Regards S

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

"The MRH-90 helicopters’ flying hours plummeted in 2019–20, from a planned 9,670 hours to a mere 5,168 hours—the worst result in six years, despite (or perhaps because of) their contribution to Operation Bushfire Assist. They’re probably costing well in excess of $30,000 per hour of flight time. The MRH-90 is Defence’s fourth most expensive capability and Australians should expect better value for money. If, as the government has stated, Defence will be required to increase its contributions to domestic disaster relief, it’s going to need a much more reliable and affordable helicopter."

I do want to like the MRH-90 but it still appears not to be living up to expectations.

Thoughts

Regards S
Watch this space. Some huge news on ADF’s helicopter fleet will be coming, soon...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting, ABDR is now reporting Airbus have changed their offer. They have dropped the second type in favour of seven addition European sourced Tigers, for a fleet of twenty nine, with all receiving a more comprehensive upgrade.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Tiger has the bad rep but MRH has consistently been more of a problem child.

Strange how that happens, the bleeding edge option, unsurprisingly, has developmental issues and gets a bad name, at the same time as something that should be simpler and easier is an unsustainable, unaffordable mess that fails to deliver anywhere near the required capability, but the mud doesn't seem to stick.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

Thoughts

Regards S
The cost per flight hour at $30,000 is pretty excessive. I wonder how this compares with AH101s used around the world. I would be afraid to know what our Cyclone cost per hours are?:eek:

Stampede

Interesting, ABDR is now reporting Airbus have changed their offer. They have dropped the second type in favour of seven addition European sourced Tigers, for a fleet of twenty nine, with all receiving a more comprehensive upgrade.
Thanks Volk for this update from Airbus

I feel defence have no appetite to soldier on with the Tiger ARH, which is disappointing as it appears to be finally providing some good service.
Still my preference if additional airframes can be sourced and the upgrade price is competitive.

New helicopters for navy and SF helicopters for Army will see some busy years ahead.
Add to the mix UAV's of various sizes and the stability of keeping an existing platform like Tiger may have merit in the 2020's
Also mindful of the type of role an Armed recognisance Helicopter will have in the future battle space and would prefer to hold off a bit to watch how things develop in this area.

That said, a betting man would still go with the Apache for the winner

Regards S

Stampede

Extra Chooks would make sense. Maybe the new ones with the GE T408 engines that give it significantly more power and lifting capability.
Singapore operate more chooks than ourselves and they represent a bigger percentage of their helicopter fleet compared to ours.
Are their needs different to ours or do they recognise the importance of what this larger aircraft brings to the field commander?

Lucky for us 6 of their chooks are based at Oakey.

Regards S

That and other stuff...
Is it possible that both the taipan and the tiger may get retired in favour of the Apache and new build blackhawks? I mean it makes a lot of sense, in that it would reduce the logistics chain and increase interoperability with the US in a time when the threat matrix has increased. Besides there seems to be a bit of chatter online recently. It may well just be that but, my gut tells me otherwise. Anyway I’m sure we will all know soon.

Boagrius

Is it possible that both the taipan and the tiger may get retired in favour of the Apache and new build blackhawks? I mean it makes a lot of sense, in that it would reduce the logistics chain and increase interoperability with the US in a time when the threat matrix has increased. Besides there seems to be a bit of chatter online recently. It may well just be that but, my gut tells me otherwise. Anyway I’m sure we will all know soon.
I think you and I have been looking at the same crystal ball. Keep a close eye on the news methinks...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Most of our current defence procurements seem to illustrate just how broken the procurement system was after DMO was created to fix it. The Collins Class procurement was meant to be one of the drivers that led to DMO, Kinnard etc. the sad truth being Collins was a political football whose problems were no more severe than any similar program faced and in some ways was far better.

Basically the ADFs procurement system was completely stuffed in attempt to fix problems that had been exaggerated for political reasons and now we the poor tax payer cop the resulting cost.

Last edited: