Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Army & Security Forces' started by mickk, Nov 25, 2006.

Share This Page

1. hairyman

hairyman Member

On a different subject, I read today that the US is selling Saudi Arabia 180 155mm M109A5/A6 Paladin Howitzer Systems along with 180 .50 calibre machine guns and various support systems for $1.31billion(to be converted to 177 of the more advanced A6 system).. Roughly $10mill au for each paladin (with a .50 machine gun thrown in). Maybe it is time for us to rethink the self propelled artillery again?

2. MARKMILES77

MARKMILES77 Member

How does this fit in with the Assegai 155mm ammunition ordered?
    Are M795s necessary because the 4000+ Precision Guidance Kits purchased by Australia are not compatible with with the assegai rounds?

3. hairyman

hairyman Member

Are those numbers right? 101 artillary shells for $148mill/ Does not make sense.

4. FormerDirtDart

FormerDirtDart Member

No, that's not the right number. Try reading the second paragraph for the number of rounds ordered
    IMX "101" is the type of explosive fill used in the M795 rounds, which is stated twice in the quoted information

5. hairyman

hairyman Member

Whoops.. I had not opened it up and read further. But still. $58'000 sounds a lot for an artillery shell

6. FormerDirtDart

FormerDirtDart Member

First you bitch about $1.46 Million a round. Then complain when it's only 1/25th the price.
    There's absolutely no pleasing you.

In all seriousness, the second paragraph also states that the sale includes additional material:

7. hairyman

hairyman Member

I am not an artillary man. Could any artillary types on here indicate what they make of that price?

8. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

Not a gun bunny, but IIRC the price of US M712 'Copperhead' laser-guided 155 mm HEAT artillery shells had been ~USD$10,000 per round around 30 years ago, though current pricing is supposed to be close to USD$70,000 per round.

9. hairyman

hairyman Member

Wow.... Thanks for that Todjaeger. I had no idea they could be that sort of price.

10. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

Happy to help. The pricing itself came from cost estimates for an arms package delivered to/used by Lebanon against daesh forces within eastern Lebanon late last year and the estimate was made January of this year IIRC.

I would imagine that 'dumb' 155 mm rounds would likely be 'only' a few thousand dollars, but any time one starts adding extra capabilities, like base-bleed projectiles, rocket-assisted, or any of the other methods to achieve extended range, precision guidance/targeting, and/or special warhead capabilities like HEAT, the price will quickly start rising. The joys of increased complexity.

11. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

Just wondering if your mate could knock up an extra dozen fully working one to one scale MBT's to support the Armoured Cav Regt's.
    It might be quicker than Army / Govt making said decision on extra MBT numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards S

aussienscale likes this.
  12. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

An interesting piece in the Defence Technology Review regrading Land 400 Phase Three.
    Having a Final Operational Capability some Twelve years away looks problematic.
    I wonder what the plan for the M113's retirement is relative to the transition to the new fleet

Defence Technology Review : DTR MAY 2018, Page 1

Regards S

13. MARKMILES77

MARKMILES77 Member

What's up with the helicopters used by SASR for their capability demonstration at the opening of their new facilities at Swanbourne?
    Does Army have helicopters not previously revealed, have Blackhawks been upgraded (to UH-60M Standard?) or are US Army helicopters based in WA?
    20180511adf8508047_100.t5af55264.m1200.x98e90efd.jpg 20180511adf8508047_062.t5af55264.m800.xae4c36fa.jpg

14. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

It's a US Army MH-60M. See the tail boom section. Hopefully it's a taste of what is to come for 6 Avn.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  15. MARKMILES77

MARKMILES77 Member

So what are US Army helicopters doing in Australia?
    Are there US Army helicopters operating in Australia regularly with SASR?
    Australian Army trialing it?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  16. aussienscale

aussienscale Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I think you will find there is a fairly persistent presence in the west, you won't get much more than that.

Cheers

17. FormerDirtDart

FormerDirtDart Member

USSOCOM and the 160th SOAR take advantage of training opportunities with friends and partners all over the planet, quite regularly.

18. TonyRyan

TonyRyan New Member

Mod edit: Text deleted. DefenceTalk isn't a place to post flame-baiting comments, or push conspiracy theories. If a member wishes to do so, they are certainly free to do it elsewhere on the internet. Such behavior on DefenceTalk will result in the content being deleted. Continuing such behavior will result in sanctions, including banning. This is already the 2nd time.
    -Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
  19. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

What a load of political BS.
    I haven't got time to go through the errors and hyperbole in the above but I will do that tonight.
    However, it is what I'd expect from a professional left activist.

Trackmaster, alexsa and aussienscale like this.
  20. the road runner

the road runner Member

Rafael have been chosen to supply Spike LR-2 onto Australia's Boxer fleet ..
    With Spike LR2II being chosen by Israel i wonder if it was on offer to Australia ?

Australia selects Spike LR2 | Jane's 360

With Javelin already being in the ADF could we replaced it with a version of Spike SR/MR/LR to reduce logistics for Army ?