Aircraft Prices

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Salman78 said:
F-14 is expensive cause its the only aircraft in the world which can carry the longest range active radar guided missile the AIM-54 pheonix which has no match. Also the F-14 D supertomact's "radar" has the ability to jam its oponent's radar. It carries a lot of fuel, missiles and is tasked with a very imp job of protecting the carrier so one can imagine the technology and power put into this huge machine. Not many fighter aircraft with such tremendous capabilities are available for carrier borne operations...

Recently F-14 has been transformed into an excellent strike and reconnaissance platform...

Aircraft prices depend on a lot of things. Isreal for example pays a lot less for what arab country's pay for the same equipment. Then there are offset deals which balance the final price so there r diff factors.
1) The F-14 has almost been phased out of operational existence, IIRC there is only one active squadron left. All others have been line replaced

2) The Phoenix is almost acknowledged as being obsolete. It was designed to take out long range subsonic bombers at maximum distance - and in effect, it's job became considerably harder once the Blackjacks came into service. It was not designed for High G close combat manouvres so it would have struggled against a fast turning high speed foe.

3) No investments have been made in the last few years on the F-14 as the Super Hornet was designed to replace it. It has a high downtime compared to the aircraft repalcing it, and in some areas is less capable.

It was a good aircraft - but it's got more romantic attachment applied to it than any other USN aircraft - hence why there is still some mystical defence of it by advocates.

The prices quoted in the article are not realistic, as there is no common baseline applied to arrive at the figures. It would be almost impossible to do as well, as sunk prices have not been included, package purchases effect transactions and volume purchase will effect final figures. In some cases aircraft are part bartered against natural resources and are exchanged at the commodity rate for that period - not necessarily a reflection of true purchase worth. Some purchases are made on political requirements and as such the price is artificial and declared at varying rates for either domestic consumption or political imperative.

Take them all with a grain of salt.

A

Aussie Digger

Re: Aircraft Prices.

In addition to GF's comments, the AIM-54 Phoenix was rarely ever carried in great numbers by F-14 Tomcats at sea due to it's extreme weight, meaning that an aircraft coming back into land with a full load of AIM-54's would have to ditch said AIM-54's prior to landing on a Carrier. A VERY expensive exercise even for the USN...

Salman78

F-16 C/D Block 50/52 are available for $20 Mil.

$25 Mil might be for Block 60

gf0012-aust said:
Some purchases are made on political requirements and as such the price is artificial and declared at varying rates for either domestic consumption or political imperative.

Take them all with a grain of salt.
Dude asked why F-14 is expensive and i gave him a few reasons. Your msg about how it sucks n stuff is not relevent to my reply. Mirror always has 2 sides. If i am talking about the shiney side then it dosnt mean that its a MUST for u to come around with the other one. if you know what i mean.

Admin: Follow on posts merged. Please edit within a prev post rather than create a separate entry. It's not a numbers game. Also, please try to use BB Codes properly, it saves the MOds from having to edit and follow up on badly edited posts.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Salman78 said:
Dude asked why F-14 is expensive and i gave him a few reasons. Your msg about how it sucks n stuff is not relevent to my reply. Mirror always has 2 sides. If i am talking about the shiney side then it dosnt mean that its a MUST for u to come around with the other one. if you know what i mean.
Actually, if you read my response, you should be able toi determine that I am politely disagreeing with some of your claims. If you make statements that are based on temporal flux, then they will have a degree of innacuracy.

It's irrelevant whether you say it, or someone else says it. If I think the response is flawed, then I will provide a response.

OTOH, I have asked you a number of times to qualify your background in case I am making assumptions about your technical ability - I may be pitching my responses incorrectly on the basis of what I think you know.

Welcome to how forums work, if someone disagrees with you, they will jump on the statement pretty quickly, some will be polite, some will be less than gentlemanly. The latter is unwelcome. I can't do much about the issue if you are feeling persecuted about your responses. As in all forums, everyone measures you by the credibility you bring to the table. Accuracy and detail of responses is part of that at a certain level. There is an expectation that if you're part of the industry, are an "operator" or have established capability, that your responses will be more considered rather than just statements accepted without question. I was under the impression that you had an air background? If not, then I've made some incorrect assumptions.

ahussains

I think Friends its good to Talk about F 15 and other F Series but in my opinion is good going for the SAB's JAS 39 Gripen ..

and If Sweden is agree for the Tec. transfer, We have the Aircraft building Exp. with chiness and a very good overhalling exp. in PAF sargodha , and we also can put westren systems with help of Sweden in JF 17

What u guys Says

Aegis

Does anyone has the price of F-22? From what I know is the plane is damm ex!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Chowdhury said:
260 million

f22 raptor

and thanks
The official price from Marietta for the F-22 released yesterday was $160m per platform and expexted to reduce to $130m eventually.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

isnt there any official site giving away actual price rather than presumed n assumed ones.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

SABRE said:
isnt there any official site giving away actual price rather than presumed n assumed ones.
Marietta is the corporate headquarters. You can't get more official than a GAO after that.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member

If guys like, I can drive up there and ask them personally for the price of the raptors? :p

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

WebMaster said:
If guys like, I can drive up there and ask them personally for the price of the raptors? :p
You sure that will make everyone happy? :D:

redsoulja

yah im sure soem of the guyswill question the credibility adn a whole different debate will spring up :cop :idea2 :eek