ADF General discussion thread

cdxbow

True, although I wonder about the survivability of P8 or Triton in the face of the HHQ-9, especially the forthcoming C model that could be reasonably expected to reach out past ~300km. Not such an issue for an LO jet but a big one for a lumbering ISR aircraft. That said, your point on Loyal Wingman is a good one - the question is will it arrive in the vaunted 5 year timeframe?
I think so, they are planning to have another 3 built this year, bringing the fleet up to 6, Can't see why they couldn't then start production in another 12 months. Build 25 a year for 3 years, you get to bring at least 75 to the party. They may be why our Triton purchases have been less than originally planned in relation to the P8.

Boagrius

I think so, they are planning to have another 3 built this year, bringing the fleet up to 6, Can't see why they couldn't then start production in another 12 months. Build 25 a year for 3 years, you get to bring at least 75 to the party.
That is potentially quite promising IMO. With a robust modern datalink and the requisite ESM gear, they'd make a good candidate for passively locating hostile SAGs. Hell given their "attritable" status it could be worth it to send a pair on a nigh-on suicide mission if it meant getting a precise and timely fix on a hostile naval group before feeding it to an approaching salvo of MST/LRASM. Better get Boeing Aus on the phone ;-)

cdxbow

That is potentially quite promising IMO. With a robust modern datalink and the requisite ESM gear, they'd make a good candidate for passively locating hostile SAGs. Hell given their "attritable" status it could be worth it to send a pair on a nigh-on suicide mission if it meant getting a precise and timely fix on a hostile naval group before feeding it to an approaching salvo of MST/LRASM. Better get Boeing Aus on the phone ;-)
Yes, supporting our imaginary TLAMs with targeting information, acting as a network node and even potentially adding EW/jamming/decoys to improve survivability. It's a brilliant project, they need to make enough of them so as people accept they are attritable if need be.

Owly

A Moderator asked you to do some research. It pays to follow a Moderator's guidance. I know this is pendantic but Cyprus isn't French but has a Greek Cypriot ethic group occupying one part of the island and a Turkish Cypriot group occupying the remainder. There is a hard fortified border between the two after the Turkish invasion of 1974.
The Australian National Line ie ANL is now owned by CGM-CMA of Marseille France . Has been for at least 10 years - the Darwin Trader originally had Australian crew - sorry its a bit different from military stuff but merchant marine has been my life since i sold newspapers on the Empress of Australia fm age 9 i will shut up and just look on

I don't disagree although if I am to play devil's advocate, the massive range of the MST introduces a corresponding targeting challenge against maritime targets - those missiles are going to need regular targeting updates over a lengthy flight to find their quarry. For PLAN vessels equipped with the HHQ-9 (ie. everything above FFG class), your ISR platform of choice may turn out to be... the F35.

That said it is probably worth noting the difference between say, sustaining a BARCAP at some distance from the Australian coast, and conducting a strike mission. You'll obviously reach further with the latter by dispensing with the need for sustained loiter.
I was thinking about this issue the other day. I thought I’d read an article somewhere about one country (perhaps China) trying something similar already but I’m not sure….

Obviously a target (fleet or individual ships) needs to be found first. Some sort of maritime patrol aircraft or satellite is required to find the general location

But for the “salvo” of SLCM, can updated targeting information be provided by a “scout” missile (or two) fired 5-10 minutes in advance of the main attack? Does such technology exist or been trialled before?

True, although I wonder about the survivability of P8 or Triton in the face of the HHQ-9, especially the forthcoming C model that could be reasonably expected to reach out past ~300km. Not such an issue for an LO jet but a big one for a lumbering ISR aircraft. That said, your point on Loyal Wingman is a good one - the question is will it arrive in the vaunted 5 year timeframe?
I can see a need for a super cruising, stealthy reconnaissance drone able to operate in contested airspace being a requirement for the USA in the near future. And Australia for that matter! If various satellites are shot down or other immediate sources of information become degraded, we could end up back at the point were something like the capability offered by the old SR-71 becomes important again.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Australian National Line ie ANL is now owned by CGM-CMA of Marseille France . Has been for at least 10 years - the Darwin Trader originally had Australian crew - sorry its a bit different from military stuff but merchant marine has been my life since i sold newspapers on the Empress of Australia fm age 9 i will shut up and just look on
Well then if you clarify that in your post and provide a source as per the rules, you wouldn't have run ins with Moderators. That's all.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was thinking about this issue the other day. I thought I’d read an article somewhere about one country (perhaps China) trying something similar already but I’m not sure….

Obviously a target (fleet or individual ships) needs to be found first. Some sort of maritime patrol aircraft or satellite is required to find the general location

But for the “salvo” of SLCM, can updated targeting information be provided by a “scout” missile (or two) fired 5-10 minutes in advance of the main attack? Does such technology exist or been trialled before?
The way I see it, for an enemy fleet to detect an incoming strike package it has to utilise its sensors and to engage at long range it has to energize those sensors. Once it does that it can be localised enough for something like a LRASM or NSM to be sent to the general area and then use its own sensors to locate individual targets. If the enemy fleet is using EMCOM then they are reliant upon IRST which doesn't have the detection range of radar. So it's a bit of balancing fleet defence requirements over being covert.
I can see a need for a super cruising, stealthy reconnaissance drone able to operate in contested airspace being a requirement for the USA in the near future. And Australia for that matter! If various satellites are shot down or other immediate sources of information become degraded, we could end up back at the point were something like the capability offered by the old SR-71 becomes important again.
Who's to say that the US doesn't already have the successor to the SR-71 fully operational and it's replacement in the prototype stage? Something like that will be so black that even a blackhole will reflect more radiation. But there's a difference between strategic reconnaissance and tactical reconnaissance with the SR-71 and its ilk being strategic reconnaissance platforms. Locating enemy fleets to provide targeting information, I would argue, is a mission for a tactical platform.

The way I see it, for an enemy fleet to detect an incoming strike package it has to utilise its sensors and to engage at long range it has to energize those sensors. Once it does that it can be localised enough for something like a LRASM or NSM to be sent to the general area and then use its own sensors to locate individual targets. If the enemy fleet is using EMCOM then they are reliant upon IRST which doesn't have the detection range of radar. So it's a bit of balancing fleet defence requirements over being covert.
Yes with my limited knowledge, I can see it being as you described. In addition I would gather it also depends on the reason for sailing a fleet in that area. EG are they there to coax a fight with the enemy or a sneak attack?

The concern with the HHQ-9 system also fits in here. If the radar for this system is on continuously, I’d imagine the signal travels a LOT further than the detection range of the radar. Would make it relatively easy to track an enemy fleet putting out those sorts of emissions with something like a P-8.

Who's to say that the US doesn't already have the successor to the SR-71 fully operational and it's replacement in the prototype stage? Something like that will be so black that even a blackhole will reflect more radiation. But there's a difference between strategic reconnaissance and tactical reconnaissance with the SR-71 and its ilk being strategic reconnaissance platforms. Locating enemy fleets to provide targeting information, I would argue, is a mission for a tactical platform.
I’d say that’s the RQ-170, or at least it may have been the prototype for a bigger subsonic reconnaissance drone. Given how long that was hidden from view, you are probably correct.

south

The concern with the HHQ-9 system also fits in here. If the radar for this system is on continuously, I’d imagine the signal travels a LOT further than the detection range of the radar. Would make it relatively easy to track an enemy fleet putting out those sorts of emissions with something like a P-8.
All this does is let you know they are out there, not exactly where. Or alternatively what if the SAM operator doesn’t turn on until you are well inside range, or your in a cluttered littoral environment. It’s nowhere near as simple as your statement makes it sound.

Last edited:

Boagrius

Another problem with this is the radar horizon. For a P8 sitting at its service ceiling that is about 400km, which matches uncomfortably with the cited max range of a weapon like the HQ-9C. Less of an issue for a fighter type aircraft but a serious one for a 737. The Triton might have more luck here by sitting up higher, but it's still a more trivial aerodynamic target. There is also the potential for PLAN vessels to use LPI emissions from their more modern naval AESAs to make pinpointing them even harder at this sort of range.

I suspect this is where a massive podded AESA like the AN/APS-154 comes into its own, since it ought to let you map out just about everything on the surface not masked by the earth's curvature/terrain. If the target SAG tries to jam it, you work on pinpointing the source of the jamming, and if they try to engage you, you use the jamming capacity of the pod itself to cover your descent below the radar horizon... at least in theory. Total speculation on my part of course(!).

Last edited:

InterestedParty

Apologies for another question but I haven't seen any mention of Jindalee. Doesnt it have a role in the long range detection of air and sea movements so at least we know what ball park they are in
I thought Jindalee, depending on size and altitude could detect aircraft around Singapore if conditions were right. Or was that just PR?

Boagrius

Apologies for another question but I haven't seen any mention of Jindalee. Doesnt it have a role in the long range detection of air and sea movements so at least we know what ball park they are in
I thought Jindalee, depending on size and altitude could detect aircraft around Singapore if conditions were right. Or was that just PR?
No doubt JORN would have an important part to play in locating surface vessels, with ISR aircraft then used to search any area of uncertainty it generated. In terms of exactly how far it can see - I don't think that's public knowledge.

cdxbow

Jindalee range is quoted as 1000 to 4000 kms but depends on ionospheric conditions at the time. Better at daytime and periods of high solar activity. It is reported to be able to see much further, including China - see Electronic Weapons: <b>October 31, 2004</b> (strategypage.com) and even as far as Baghdad in optimal conditions. The later story allegedly involved a stealth craft and has been discussed earlier in this forum. It really is one of CoA crown jewels, so I doubt anyone is going to confirm that we can see President Xi picking his nose in Beijing. It's a system that will continually benefit from improving the processing power as it's ability to detect targets depends on it's ability to model the ionosphere accurately in real time.

There are also stories about it's ability to generate an 'ionospheric vortex' which can disrupt coms at a distance and is alleged to able to generate a wide area EMP effect, I would suggest these claims are perhaps similar to the those of Drop bears.

Boagrius

I was thinking about this issue the other day. I thought I’d read an article somewhere about one country (perhaps China) trying something similar already but I’m not sure...

This seems to be the premise behind the PRC's GJ-11 UAS. It is shrouded in secrecy at the moment but to my untrained eye, it looks unnervingly stealthy. If your SAG wasn't protected by a robust BARCAP I could see it being very difficult to deal with. Plus, if the result of not dealing with it is an incoming ASBM salvo, then the stakes just get that much higher, but I digress...

AFAIK this is kind of how LRASM is supposed to work. It has its own onboard ESM system which allows it to passively narrow down the location of its target before it descends to a wavetop terminal approach and completes the endgame with the help of its IIR seeker. Theoretically, you might be able to use missile-to-missile datalinks to get a given salvo to act as something of a hunting pack, sniffing out the target before they collectively go after it. While I am not sure if this sort of thing has been implemented in the LRASM, it wouldn't surprise me at all - IIRC some of the old Soviet AShMs used to do similar things.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This seems to be the premise behind the PRC's GJ-11 UAS. It is shrouded in secrecy at the moment but to my untrained eye, it looks unnervingly stealthy. If your SAG wasn't protected by a robust BARCAP I could see it being very difficult to deal with. Plus, if the result of not dealing with it is an incoming ASBM salvo, then the stakes just get that much higher, but I digress...

AFAIK this is kind of how LRASM is supposed to work. It has its own onboard ESM system which allows it to passively narrow down the location of its target before it descends to a wavetop terminal approach and completes the endgame with the help of its IIR seeker. Theoretically, you might be able to use missile-to-missile datalinks to get a given salvo to act as something of a hunting pack, sniffing out the target before they collectively go after it. While I am not sure if this sort of thing has been implemented in the LRASM, it wouldn't surprise me at all - IIRC some of the old Soviet AShMs used to do similar things.
The LRASM does have missile to missile data links and one can act as a master missile.

Boagrius

Suspected as much. Not a fun thing to be on the receiving end of mind you - a networked swarm of VLO cruise missiles all cresting the radar horizon at once under total EMCON, each packing ~500lb of fireworks. Glad they're on our team...