ADF General discussion thread

Takao

The Bunker Group
IMHO this is the same for anyone, including the ADF.

Keeping any base supplied would be challenging given how contested resupply would be. Keeping it supplied for any meaningful tempo of air operations would be prohibitive.

As to the ADF basing defensive resources there - that would simply be isolating precious resources that would be quickly rendered ineffective and cut off.

Regards,

Massive
You've nailed it in one @Massive. During status quo times, the islands are fine. Good forward deployment opportunities that increase our surveillance and presence. During a shooting war though? Resupplying said islands will suck - especially when we don't have enough lift as is to lift a single Brigade.

buffy9

You've nailed it in one @Massive. During status quo times, the islands are fine. Good forward deployment opportunities that increase our surveillance and presence. During a shooting war though? Resupplying said islands will suck - especially when we don't have enough lift as is to lift a single Brigade.
With regards to lift (apologies for any change in topic), is there any potential fixes to lift the brigade? (assuming a force between 4,000 and 5,000, including enablers).

I understand the auxiliary fleet idea has been discussed in the RAN thread and the cost of a new amphibious ship is dubious in terms of funding, but are there alternatives in terms of utilising a civilian fleet to assist with lift? Or is there an assumption that additional lift may be provided by partners or that there will be available time for forces to deploy?

It's all very interesting, especially when the brigade is meant to be the primary land combat force. With heavier equipment comes the need to deploy it and support it, after all.

OldTex

I understand the auxiliary fleet idea has been discussed in the RAN thread and the cost of a new amphibious ship is dubious in terms of funding, but are there alternatives in terms of utilising a civilian fleet to assist with lift? Or is there an assumption that additional lift may be provided by partners or that there will be available time for forces to deploy?
If Australia was to deploy the ready combat brigade that would suggest a major conflict scenario. In that situation it is unlikely that allies (effectively read as US) would have 'spare' maritime or air lift capacity available. The Australian merchant fleet has virtually ceased to exist, largely driven by economic concerns. If Australia did decide very early in the developing situation to deploy the ready brigade (with enablers) then the RAN maritime lift may be capable of achieving this task in perhaps 2 sailings. But the drawback of this approach is that it effectively ties up the maritime lift for an extended period of time, without even considering the requirement for logistic resupply. It also anchors the ready brigade in a location that can be either bypassed or engaged before the brigade is fully emplaced. Australia is in the unfortunate position of being too big not to have amphibious/maritime lift but is too small to have enough to provide flexibility and agility in the event of a major conflict.

If Australia was to deploy the ready combat brigade that would suggest a major conflict scenario. In that situation it is unlikely that allies (effectively read as US) would have 'spare' maritime or air lift capacity available. The Australian merchant fleet has virtually ceased to exist, largely driven by economic concerns. If Australia did decide very early in the developing situation to deploy the ready brigade (with enablers) then the RAN maritime lift may be capable of achieving this task in perhaps 2 sailings. But the drawback of this approach is that it effectively ties up the maritime lift for an extended period of time, without even considering the requirement for logistic resupply. It also anchors the ready brigade in a location that can be either bypassed or engaged before the brigade is fully emplaced. Australia is in the unfortunate position of being too big not to have amphibious/maritime lift but is too small to have enough to provide flexibility and agility in the event of a major conflict.
If you had the 330 MRTT carrying troops/support plus 747 freighters, how many ASLAV’s/trucks could be airlifted?

Again something Australia doesn’t currently have. But for arguments sake if you had a civil airfreight company based in Australia with approx 12 x 747 freighters, how much of a brigade could be moved in one trip?

Would it be possible to move the important combat elements via airlift (over 24-30 hours) and follow up with a sealift of the remaining logistical and support equipment and staff?

OldTex

If you had the 330 MRTT carrying troops/support plus 747 freighters, how many ASLAV’s/trucks could be airlifted?

Again something Australia doesn’t currently have. But for arguments sake if you had a civil airfreight company based in Australia with approx 12 x 747 freighters, how much of a brigade could be moved in one trip?

Would it be possible to move the important combat elements via airlift (over 24-30 hours) and follow up with a sealift of the remaining logistical and support equipment and staff?
The use of KC-30A for troop lift is part of the reason for acquiring the aircraft (although the main reason was the AAR capability). However in the event of a major conflict these aircraft would most likely be used for the deployment of RAAF elements and conducting AAR for F-18/F-35/P-8/E-7. Boeing 747-400F freighters might be suitable for some logistic resupply but not vehicles (LAND 121 or LAND 400). The 747-400F is designed to carry 30 pallets (not sure if these are L pallets suitable for tactical lift on C-17/C-130J/C-27) on the main deck and 32 LD1 containers in the lower hold (information on Boeing 747-400F from Airliners.net). These aircraft would be restricted to operating into established APOD based upon major international airports. As a result there may be a requirement for further logistic/administrative movement forward to the AO.
It may be possible to airlift the initial combat elements. Although given the different rates of travel, the sealift of logistic and support equipment would have to depart first. The timings and locations of the marry-up may be problematic, especially if APOD and SPOD are widely separated.

The use of KC-30A for troop lift is part of the reason for acquiring the aircraft (although the main reason was the AAR capability). However in the event of a major conflict these aircraft would most likely be used for the deployment of RAAF elements and conducting AAR for F-18/F-35/P-8/E-7. Boeing 747-400F freighters might be suitable for some logistic resupply but not vehicles (LAND 121 or LAND 400). The 747-400F is designed to carry 30 pallets (not sure if these are L pallets suitable for tactical lift on C-17/C-130J/C-27) on the main deck and 32 LD1 containers in the lower hold (information on Boeing 747-400F from Airliners.net). These aircraft would be restricted to operating into established APOD based upon major international airports. As a result there may be a requirement for further logistic/administrative movement forward to the AO.
It may be possible to airlift the initial combat elements. Although given the different rates of travel, the sealift of logistic and support equipment would have to depart first. The timings and locations of the marry-up may be problematic, especially if APOD and SPOD are widely separated.
So there is currently no ideal solution for the rapid movement of the ready brigade. Sealift would take 2 trips and tie up naval assets, airlift would split the force due to some items not fitting on aircraft.

As far as I can see the Boxer CRV may fit on a 747F, to me it looks like the dimensions of the turret would be the limiting factor?

1589302165091.jpeg

Boxer CRV dimensions:
Length, 7.93 m; Width, 2.99 m; Height, 2.37 m

Loaded via the nose would provide the maximum dimensions to be used. There would be a load limit for the floor (per m2) but this can be alleviated by loading the vehicle on a thin pallet to spread the weight.

As a side note the US Army uses 747 freighters to transport their MRAP vehicles. They’re half the weight of a Boxer but similar height/width. They can fit around 5 on the main deck of a 747F.

If we’re talking within the continent of Australia only, what about via train? Again the rolling stock and lines would have to exist in the vicinity of the AO. But perhaps this is an argument to bolster the rail lines across northern Australia? Particularly the link between Mount Isa and Tennant Creek (something I have seen mentioned for commercial reasons as well).

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Given the likely demise of passenger air travel for several years, the duopoly should research some additional ideas on conversion of the ever expanding fleet of aircraft being moth-balled to deserts in the US and Australia. Militaries may soon need the additional lift due to rising tensions and air cargo lift has been reduced with all the passenger jets being parked.

OldTex

As far as I can see the Boxer CRV may fit on a 747F, to me it looks like the dimensions of the turret would be the limiting factor?

1589302165091.jpeg

Boxer CRV dimensions:

Loaded via the nose would provide the maximum dimensions to be used. There would be a load limit for the floor (per m2) but this can be alleviated by loading the vehicle on a thin pallet to spread the weight.

As a side note the US Army uses 747 freighters to transport their MRAP vehicles. They’re half the weight of a Boxer but similar height/width. They can fit around 5 on the main deck of a 747F.
In addition to the question of weight of the CRV potentially limiting a 747F lift to 2 vehicles (based on your estimate compared with a MRAP) plus some palletised stores,there is the question of the ground equipment (TALD?) needed to take the CRV from main deck level to ground level at the APOD. All of this tends to make the use of 747F aircraft less than desireable for the deployment of the heavy elements of a brigade.

OldTex

Given the likely demise of passenger air travel for several years, the duopoly should research some additional ideas on conversion of the ever expanding fleet of aircraft being moth-balled to deserts in the US and Australia. Militaries may soon need the additional lift due to rising tensions and air cargo lift has been reduced with all the passenger jets being parked.
The following articles (from Aviation Tribune posted on 28 April 2020 and 3 May 2020) provide some details of what is involved in a quick(ish) conversion.
Austrian Airlines Converts Passenger Aircraft to Freighters

Airbus Develops Solution to use Widebody Aircraft for Pure Cargo Operations

What is not provided by converting a passenger aircraft to a combi or freighter configuration is the cargo door (or raisable nose) of a dedicated freighter. This limits the size of the cargo that can be carried on the main deck and also limits the load to largely manual laoding.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So there is currently no ideal solution for the rapid movement of the ready brigade. Sealift would take 2 trips and tie up naval assets, airlift would split the force due to some items not fitting on aircraft.

View attachment 47374

Boxer CRV dimensions:

If we’re talking within the continent of Australia only, what about via train? Again the rolling stock and lines would have to exist in the vicinity of the AO. But perhaps this is an argument to bolster the rail lines across northern Australia? Particularly the link between Mount Isa and Tennant Creek (something I have seen mentioned for commercial reasons as well).
I would question the estimates about carrying Boxer CRV based off MRAP carriage. After all, which/what configuration of Boxer is one talking about? Weights for the Boxer range from 24 tonnes to 38.5 tonnes for one combat-loaded configuration. Similar situation with US MRAP's, especially since there are so many different types, and then different variants within a given time, all of which have different weights.

Depending on what the floor weight limit is, there might be efforts which can be taken to fit a higher weight vehicle. However, it is also quite possible that an Australian Boxer CRV in a combat ready configuration might also have too high a weight for mitigation to work. Or that the vehicle needs to have components stripped off, and then re-installed once landed and removed from the aircraft.

Takao

The Bunker Group
Capturing the thrust of the last few posts...

The answer to lifting a Bde is sea-lift - it's the only feasible option. There are insufficient assets within Australia to do that now, and recent exercises have highlighted that reliance on the US is no longer an option. There are three possible solutions to that:

a. increase the white flagged lift fleet
b. develop a red flag lift fleet (a'la RFA)
c. generate permanent contracts.

(a) is slightly possible, but we are talking incremental (not a third LHD or similar). (b) isn't, it would be unlikely the Government would accept subsidising a union-heavy workforce (which is where is would end up). (c) is the only real solution, standing contracts that guarantee ADF access when needed.

As for airlift - no. Lifting a Bde is a fools errand and one that the USAF would struggle to go. I've done the maths here before; but from memory it's 50 - 60 C-17 missions (and they were ASLAV / M113, not Boxer/IFV) just to lift it into theatre + another dozen or so a week for resupplies. It would come close to breaking the USAF and there is no chance for the RAAF.

As for a 747F - I can see the logic, but for a military the answer is C-17 or child of C-17. We recently looked at the heavy airlift question (noting C-17s aren't built anymore), and there is no available substitute. The ability to carry twice the payload is tempting, but the C-17 brings better rough/short field capability, better weight carrying capability (it can't carry heavy point loads like AFVs - see FM 55-9, Chap 3), taller cabin (meaning it can carry tall loads like helicopters) and much less ground equipment required (at a pinch you could offload a C-17 by hand or 1x forklift).

A 747 can provide significant ways of moving light cargo or people, but would come at a significant cost during peacetime. If needs be, we have the KC-30 (*sigh*), Qantas or higher companies (like the A340-300 that does MEAO sustainment flights) that can provide that capability for us (noting I once deployed on an operation from Darwin via a leased business jet....leather seats are the way to go to war!).

Massive

The answer to lifting a Bde is sea-lift - it's the only feasible option.
Just going to ignore the airlift discussion given it has been addressed (i.e. impractical).

On sea-lift the key thing will be how we sustain that brigade on operations. Personally I think a target capability of an overseas deployed brigade is too great - a combat team centered on a single battalion (mech or inf) would be more realistic.

Regardless, I feel that a realistic amphibious fleet would be something like:

3 LHD (2 LHD + 1 Bay works)
4 Point class-like sea lift ships
4 fast LST (capable of carrying a tank troop)

Both the Point class and the LST have low manning requirements.

That said, I would not see any of these units being deployed in environments contested by a peer or near-peer adversary without significant allied support.

Independent peace keeping, peace making & peace enforcement only.

Thoughts,

Massive

Redlands18

I would question the estimates about carrying Boxer CRV based off MRAP carriage. After all, which/what configuration of Boxer is one talking about? Weights for the Boxer range from 24 tonnes to 38.5 tonnes for one combat-loaded configuration. Similar situation with US MRAP's, especially since there are so many different types, and then different variants within a given time, all of which have different weights.

Depending on what the floor weight limit is, there might be efforts which can be taken to fit a higher weight vehicle. However, it is also quite possible that an Australian Boxer CRV in a combat ready configuration might also have too high a weight for mitigation to work. Or that the vehicle needs to have components stripped off, and then re-installed once landed and removed from the aircraft.
Of course when loading any type of Transport Machine, weight distribution is

buffy9

On sea-lift the key thing will be how we sustain that brigade on operations. Personally I think a target capability of an overseas deployed brigade is too great - a combat team centered on a single battalion (mech or inf) would be more realistic.
Fair point. My only concern is that a brigade (I.e. two to three battle groups) is necessary in terms of depth to either stabilise a large area or cover a wider front. This said, any conventional conflict in the region will certainly be fought with a coalition - and any unconventional conflict will most likely allow for multiple lifts to be conducted, in addition to any assembled coalition. If this is on the archipeligos to the North, cover by RAAF and RAN will be in great supply.

Funding is stretched and perhaps the ADF sees the RAN and RAAF as more effective means of force projection in the region. I agree, though the tempo of current sea lift (two LHDs in constant states of ready and readying) and the potential for local situations to turn ugly leave me concerned that ground forces may be stretched to fulfil their domain role.

The answer to lifting a Bde is sea-lift - it's the only feasible option. There are insufficient assets within Australia to do that now, and recent exercises have highlighted that reliance on the US is no longer an option. There are three possible solutions to that:

a. increase the white flagged lift fleet
b. develop a red flag lift fleet (a'la RFA)
c. generate permanent contracts.

(a) is slightly possible, but we are talking incremental (not a third LHD or similar). (b) isn't, it would be unlikely the Government would accept subsidising a union-heavy workforce (which is where is would end up). (c) is the only real solution, standing contracts that guarantee ADF access when needed.
Raises more questions but I'll hold off. I suppose that the lack of need for a single lift brigade force, the ability to use contracts/airlift as augments and stretched funds are the most limiting factors towards increased sea-lift.

Personally I'd be in favour of option (b) as a force multiplier - assuming it does not become so costly that it detracts from the main efforts of the RAN and the ADF as a whole. It may be effective to have a civilian fleet which could be readily upsized/downsized based on strategic circumstances.

Takao

The Bunker Group
Just going to ignore the airlift discussion given it has been addressed (i.e. impractical).

I would disagree strongly for two reasons: political and practical

The former relates to how Australian units are used. A Brigade is the smallest element that can 'own' battlespace, without it you just get slotted into another nation's C2 network with limited political say as to how the campaign is conducted - a'la Afghanistan or Iraq. If the conflict is large / important enough that we would consider a Brigade, it's political vital that we have a say in the campaign. A Brigade also allows greater control of ROE and missions - you artillery and infantry (for instance) operate off the same rules and apply the same limits to targeting.

The latter relates to the way the ADF is trained, the patchy interoperability between likely allies and the way the force is designed. The reality is that a Brigade is how the Army, and ADF, is moving towards. The support elements are built around that, the soldiers are trained like that and that's what is needed to meet political direction. The Brigade has everything a force needs - a BG doesn't - prime example being Army Aviation or armoured breaching equipment. And the days of relying on the US for everything beyond rifles is (has?) coming to an end.

Beyond that, if we can lift a Bde we can lift a BG. If all we can lift is a BG, we might not be able to lift a BG...

Regardless, I feel that a realistic amphibious fleet would be something like:

3 LHD (2 LHD + 1 Bay works)
4 Point class-like sea lift ships
4 fast LST (capable of carrying a tank troop)

Both the Point class and the LST have low manning requirements.

That said, I would not see any of these units being deployed in environments contested by a peer or near-peer adversary without significant allied support.

Independent peace keeping, peace making & peace enforcement only.
While I disagree with the feasibility of operational use (noting that ASM are not only State-owned weapons anymore), I'd suggest a Balikpapan class replacement will probably be considered to provide a low tier capability between the high-end LHD and the ship-to-shore connector of the LCM-8 / LLC. It still doesn't lift a lot, and without a lot of speed it won't ever sail against a threat, but it may lift another BG or so.

Raises more questions but I'll hold off.
Ask! :D If I can't answer I'll just ignore...:cool:

I suppose that the lack of need for a single lift brigade force, the ability to use contracts/airlift as augments and stretched funds are the most limiting factors towards increased sea-lift.
The limiting factor comes back to warm bodies wearing an Australian flag. There isn't enough in the Navy and we don't have a merchant fleet anymore. The air side is ok; frankly it'll be what keeps Qantas funded no matter what. But without that national sea-lift capability, the only answer we have is contracted support. A government funded merchant fleet was looked at by a small team of uniformed peeps; but it was assessed that there was no way the LNP government would support something that, honestly, would become a hotbed of strong unionism. There is really awesome bipartisanship on Defence - but that was a leap to far

But contracts are ok - there are ways of ensuring (legally!!) the contracted fleet sails where we need it to go. The problem lies in the size of the international lift capability - it's actually quite limited. Until now the answer has been "JMOVGP will raise a contract when required"; that's no longer feasible or practical. It's not an Australian thing; the UK and US have hit this wall in recent times. If the US can't afford to raise last minute contract lift, what hope have we?

Personally I'd be in favour of option (b) as a force multiplier - assuming it does not become so costly that it detracts from the main efforts of the RAN and the ADF as a whole. It may be effective to have a civilian fleet which could be readily upsized/downsized based on strategic circumstances.
And that's the problem with (b). It may be that if it was put to the Government they would accept such a fleet, but it was assessed as unlikely. Unlikely enough that it wasn't considered further....

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The former relates to how Australian units are used. A Brigade is the smallest element that can 'own' battlespace, without it you just get slotted into another nation's C2 network with limited political say as to how the campaign is conducted - a'la Afghanistan or Iraq. If the conflict is large / important enough that we would consider a Brigade, it's political vital that we have a say in the campaign. A Brigade also allows greater control of ROE and missions - you artillery and infantry (for instance) operate off the same rules and apply the same limits to targeting.

The latter relates to the way the ADF is trained, the patchy interoperability between likely allies and the way the force is designed. The reality is that a Brigade is how the Army, and ADF, is moving towards. The support elements are built around that, the soldiers are trained like that and that's what is needed to meet political direction. The Brigade has everything a force needs - a BG doesn't - prime example being Army Aviation or armoured breaching equipment. And the days of relying on the US for everything beyond rifles is (has?) coming to an end.

Beyond that, if we can lift a Bde we can lift a BG. If all we can lift is a BG, we might not be able to lift a BG...

While I disagree with the feasibility of operational use (noting that ASM are not only State-owned weapons anymore), I'd suggest a Balikpapan class replacement will probably be considered to provide a low tier capability between the high-end LHD and the ship-to-shore connector of the LCM-8 / LLC. It still doesn't lift a lot, and without a lot of speed it won't ever sail against a threat, but it may lift another BG or so.

The limiting factor comes back to warm bodies wearing an Australian flag. There isn't enough in the Navy and we don't have a merchant fleet anymore. The air side is ok; frankly it'll be what keeps Qantas funded no matter what. But without that national sea-lift capability, the only answer we have is contracted support. A government funded merchant fleet was looked at by a small team of uniformed peeps; but it was assessed that there was no way the LNP government would support something that, honestly, would become a hotbed of strong unionism. There is really awesome bipartisanship on Defence - but that was a leap to far

But contracts are ok - there are ways of ensuring (legally!!) the contracted fleet sails where we need it to go. The problem lies in the size of the international lift capability - it's actually quite limited. Until now the answer has been "JMOVGP will raise a contract when required"; that's no longer feasible or practical. It's not an Australian thing; the UK and US have hit this wall in recent times. If the US can't afford to raise last minute contract lift, what hope have we?

And that's the problem with (b). It may be that if it was put to the Government they would accept such a fleet, but it was assessed as unlikely. Unlikely enough that it wasn't considered further....
I think that you've hit the nail on the head and the govt does have an issue.

Acquiring 1 or 2 more LHD / LSD / LPD is not really an option purely because of acquisition and operating costs, and given the current economic climate may be hard to justify. The way I read it is that you have 2 distinct problems:
  • Moving the brigade equipment overseas to the theatre / operational zone.
  • Moving the brigade personnel to the same location.
In reality the 2 don't necessarily need to move together, and can meet up in the new location.

What the government could do is acquire 2 or 3 used large container ships or oil tankers off the used ship market. Convert them in Australian yards to RO/RO with container stacking on the top deck. If you install the RO/RO access ramps on the side you can load / unload the vehicles straight from / to the dock. It would be able to take every vehicle in the army inventory. This could include guns, missiles etc. Because they are built to civilian standards, they don't have large crews, maybe 30. They could also be used for HADR moving vehicles and containerised stores etc.

The brigade personnel could be flown to the appropriate location using RAAF and QANTAS aircraft. There they are reunited with their equipment. Worth looking at.

Acquiring 1 or 2 more LHD / LSD / LPD is not really an option purely because of acquisition and operating costs, and given the current economic climate may be hard to justify. The way I read it is that you have 2 distinct problems:
In reality the 2 don't necessarily need to move together, and can meet up in the new location.

What the government could do is acquire 2 or 3 used large container ships or oil tankers off the used ship market. Convert them in Australian yards to RO/RO with container stacking on the top deck. If you install the RO/RO access ramps on the side you can load / unload the vehicles straight from / to the dock. It would be able to take every vehicle in the army inventory. This could include guns, missiles etc. Because they are built to civilian standards, they don't have large crews, maybe 30. They could also be used for HADR moving vehicles and containerised stores etc.

The brigade personnel could be flown to the appropriate location using RAAF and QANTAS aircraft. There they are reunited with their equipment. Worth looking at.
The problem that any government is always going to encounter with that is funding for a ship that basically sits around most of the year unused. I agree we need it but reality says it’ll be hard to get done.

Two options to suggest:

First suggestion:
What about government/private partnerships?

Is there a way the government can provide a ‘on call/standby’ contract to a RORO vessel to ensure one is available when we need it? This contract (or subsidy) would aim to ensure the ship is only used commercially 50-80% of the year.

This contract could potentially make up the difference between having it foreign flagged versus Australia. Or a government company owns the ship and leases it to a shipping company under the mentioned availability provisions. There are almost endless possibilities depending on what it takes to make it commercially attractive.

Australia sells 1 million new cars a year, all of them coming from overseas (mostly Asia). There would be multiple ships travelling between Aus and Asia alone.

Another option:
The RAN operates a RORO vessel but it’s placed under contract to the US Sealift Command. The US would pay Aust for the use of the vessel, we could agree to have it available 50-80% of the year and the rest is ‘free time’ set aside for the ADF as we require.

The point I’m trying to make is I think buying one outright or forcing the creation of an Australian merchant fleet has been looked at and won’t happen.

However if we had access or owned a vessel that was used and paid for half the year by someone else maybe then it would be easier to justify and less of a drain on the RAN budget. After all if we are moving a Bde in an unplanned scenario (not an exercise) commercial shipping is also going to be affected. We want the ship/s built and on our side of the planet when a conflict starts (or is imminent).

What I’m suggesting is perhaps we could be a bit creative in funding the running costs for the rest of their service lives.

CJR

There's actually quite a few purpose built ConRo (combined ro-ro & container) vessels in existence. It'd make more sense to buy one of those, either new or second hand, than to convert second hand tanker or 'pure' container ship into a ro-ro...

buffy9

You pretty much answered any other questions I had.

A LCH has been long overdue imo. They would alleviate pressure on the more major vessels and, if focused to operate in the SW Pacific, would give Australia a distributed and continuous presence. They can support the ATG for increased lift - or forward position in cyclone country with emergency relief. A vessel prepositioned in New Caledonia or on Manus Island with supplies would be quick to act, faster than an LHD operating from Townsville (or anywhere in the Indo-Pacific).

It would not be a mobile hospital or heliport, but if you can assemble a joint team (ADF or WoG) to rapidly respond with field equipment, it could be effective.

Perhaps this is a point of discussion for continued work beyond the six recently announced CCPB, considering they will likely be built quickly and the time in between could allow for planning.

Would it even be possible to modify such large vessels in Australia? It would give full sovereignty over its use, but with the RAN under manpower shortages perhaps contracting would be best as Takao has noted. The alternative may be in coming to some agreement to utilise a RFA or MSC vessel - though the strategic sea-lift ships of the MSC are particularly large (~60,000t).

Contracting a strategic sea-lift ship (RORO or not) would be an effective means of lifting equipment and could move with an ARG (carrying the BG or most of the BG) to enter port once secured. If the total amphibious force is carrying about half of the total personnel and the majority of the vehicles/equipment, then airlift can augment and fill in the gaps.

If you want to add to a force this size, use of smaller LCH replacements (i.e. LST, SLV, Caimen-200) could augment by bringing additional equipment and personnel or acting as more specialised platforms (SOF support, mothership, HADR, etc). Supply and Stalwart are also not devoid of some container carrying capacity also, and could boost the sea-lift capability.

All of this would come at considerable cost at the end of the day however. Six LCH replacements, even if built in local shipyards, would still be a sizable investment - perhaps following the USMC program and reducing risk/design work via their program would be of use. Getting a hold of a sea-lift ship contractually would be relatively cost effective, though it is still a sizable investment. Perhaps it may be considered in opposition to the third AOR/LSS, depending on the current circumstances of that situation and which is more important.

I think the sea-lift topic is starting to shift into more of an RAN thread topic, at least without a wider look at into how they would support the BDE and how well such vessels may be protected.

Last edited:

buffy9

The problem that any government is always going to encounter with that is funding for a ship that basically sits around most of the year unused. I agree we need it but reality says it’ll be hard to get done.

Two options to suggest:

First suggestion:
What about government/private partnerships?

Is there a way the government can provide a ‘on call/standby’ contract to a RORO vessel to ensure one is available when we need it? This contract (or subsidy) would aim to ensure the ship is only used commercially 50-80% of the year.

This contract could potentially make up the difference between having it foreign flagged versus Australia. Or a government company owns the ship and leases it to a shipping company under the mentioned availability provisions. There are almost endless possibilities depending on what it takes to make it commercially attractive.

Australia sells 1 million new cars a year, all of them coming from overseas (mostly Asia). There would be multiple ships travelling between Aus and Asia alone.

Another option:
The RAN operates a RORO vessel but it’s placed under contract to the US Sealift Command. The US would pay Aust for the use of the vessel, we could agree to have it available 50-80% of the year and the rest is ‘free time’ set aside for the ADF as we require.

The point I’m trying to make is I think buying one outright or forcing the creation of an Australian merchant fleet has been looked at and won’t happen.

However if we had access or owned a vessel that was used and paid for half the year by someone else maybe then it would be easier to justify and less of a drain on the RAN budget. After all if we are moving a Bde in an unplanned scenario (not an exercise) commercial shipping is also going to be affected. We want the ship/s built and on our side of the planet when a conflict starts (or is imminent).

What I’m suggesting is perhaps we could be a bit creative in funding the running costs for the rest of their service lives.
It would be worth considering imo, though the ADF may want to maintain a more firm level of control on such a vessel. If the vessel becomes caught up way offshore on commercial operations or is caught up in the conflict AO itself without an escort, it would be a tempting target for strike.

It would depend how the ADF intends on using them. If the concept is to have the ship quickly load equipment and bug out - perhaps no. If the concept is to have the vessel activate, standby and load equipment in preparation for a major movement - then maybe.

All in all, it would still be expensive and would require modification and basing arrangements in addition to procurement. There are a lot of auxiliaries the navy could do with, but the budget is tight and the manning already strained (especially with future combatant vessels over the next few decades).