ADF General discussion thread

Stampede

Is there a planned date for the DSR announcement? All I can find is it was planned for early April which seems to have come and gone in this part of the world….
A question many would like to know!.
My understanding is the DSR will be made public prior to the Federal Budget which is scheduled for the 9th of May.

The DSR states.

"The Independent Leads are to prepare a Review in time for National Security Committee of Cabinet consideration no later than March 2023."

So next week, the following week or the week after that is all we know at this stage.
The early April suggestion seems to have pasted..

Not far away and then we get to see if we have a balanced defence force or just a submarine force going forward in the decades ahead!

Cheers S

Redlands18

A question many would like to know!.
My understanding is the DSR will be made public prior to the Federal Budget which is scheduled for the 9th of May.

The DSR states.

"The Independent Leads are to prepare a Review in time for National Security Committee of Cabinet consideration no later than March 2023."

So next week, the following week or the week after that is all we know at this stage.
The early April suggestion seems to have pasted..

Not far away and then we get to see if we have a balanced defence force or just a submarine force going forward in the decades ahead!

Cheers S
It nearly has to be this coming week, the PM has to be in London on 6 May for Charlies crowning, and then back in Canberra by the 9th for the Budget, has the Quad meeting in Sydney sometime in late May. He will want a week or so to try to sell the DSR. Has Anzac Day the week after next, so only a 4 day work week.

Bluey

A further search of the Hansard related to the DSR has revealed that the government intends to release their response near the end of April. Announcement made same day, 29/3 about an hour later after the initial claim.

Mr MARLES (Corio—Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence) (15:17): Thank you, Mr Speaker. I'd like to add to my earlier answer today during question time when I referred to the Defence Strategic Review. For the clarification of the House: it is the intention of the government to release that review in a month's time.

Stampede

It nearly has to be this coming week, the PM has to be in London on 6 May for Charlies crowning, and then back in Canberra by the 9th for the Budget, has the Quad meeting in Sydney sometime in late May. He will want a week or so to try to sell the DSR. Has Anzac Day the week after next, so only a 4 day work week.
I'm not sure if the ANZAC Day week works for or against both announcing and selling an important document like the DSR.
Either way not far off.

Cheers S

Aardvark144

I note in the AFR today that Industry believes that whilst the Review will make recommendations as to the capabilities the Military needs, the Government will leave it up to the three Services to produce the shopping list. I can see where this is going.
I do however hope that I am proved wrong.

Morgo

I'm not sure if the ANZAC Day week works for or against both announcing and selling an important document like the DSR.
Either way not far off.

Cheers S
I really hope it’s not announced in proximity to ANZAC Day - that would be really tasteless - but they’re running out of time.

Morgo

I see an Australian citizen has been arrested for selling information to a foreign power. Sydney businessman accused of selling secrets to foreign spies will remain in custody It appears that the offences occurred in Shanghai and NSW. Whilst the AFP and ASIO aren't naming names, it appears that the PRC are the offending country. Why doesn't that surprise me.
A bit of LinkedIn snooping shows this to be almost certainly correct.

it also shows him to be an advertising flog, and the roles he has had don’t seem likely to have given him any sort of proximity to government / national security / a security clearance. It’s really hard to see how he would be able to get to anything sensitive.

Morgo

… I take back what I said in my previous post.

It looks like he had access to data collected by JCDecaux’s digital ad displays, which are, frankly, everywhere.

Speculative, but I could do without the CCCP knowing every time I drive past a roadside ad, or any time I take a train.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A bit of LinkedIn snooping shows this to be almost certainly correct.
it also shows him to be an advertising flog, and the roles he has had don’t seem likely to have given him any sort of proximity to government / national security / a security clearance. It’s really hard to see how he would be able to get to anything sensitive.
It's not just the hard information that he has access to, it's also people and professional networks he has access to that can create a security risk. Enough so that ASIO/AFP decided to act.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Australia to host largest ever Exercise Talisman Sabre - Australian Defence Magazine
30,000 Defence personnel from 11 Countries as well as Australia and the US will descend on Australia in July-August to participate in the largest ever Exercise Talisman Sabre, and 3 more will send observers. It is a high-end Exercise and will include multi-domain warfighting capabilities.
All the FVEYS, the Indo Pacific NATO Partners (AU, JP, NZ, SK), senior NATO partners FR, GER, UK, US, CAN) along with Indonesia makes for an important exercise. Will be a great learning curve for Fiji, PNG and Tonga.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
All the FVEYS, the Indo Pacific NATO Partners (AU, JP, NZ, SK), senior NATO partners FR, GER, UK, US, CAN) along with Indonesia makes for an important exercise. Will be a great learning curve for Fiji, PNG and Tonga.
Interesting no mention of India, thought it was confirmed during Albo's visit to India that they would take part ?

Cheers

Morgo

Shorten is addressing the Press Club today about reform of the NDIS. Given the size of the spend, potential large cuts and associated controversy I’d be surprised if the DSR (or anything else) is released this week.

It’s possible they’ll release it the week before the budget, but next week around ANZAC Day is looking more and more likely.

I bloody hope they handle it sensitively.

Redlands18

[/QUOTE]
Shorten is addressing the Press Club today about reform of the NDIS. Given the size of the spend, potential large cuts and associated controversy I’d be surprised if the DSR (or anything else) is released this week.

It’s possible they’ll release it the week before the budget, but next week around ANZAC Day is looking more and more likely.

I bloody hope they handle it sensitively.
I have the feeling that @ADMk2 has got it spot on above, 27 April. They have said April and the following 2 weeks are taken up with major events, not much will kick the DSR off the News cycle but a coronation and the budget certainly will.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's interesting that NDIS and defence are both seen by many people as unnecessary drains on the economy when in truth both are necessities and if executed properly and appropriately will strengthen the nation.

Not saying for one second that there isn't mismanagement, corruption, politicisation, but rather both should be enabling people what want to contribute, to do so.

Bob53

As a side note on NDIS… hope not too far off topic. Listened to 3AW caller ring in a few days ago. Ex defence member husband died who had been unwell for 3 years and on NDIS. The wife reported had about $40k worth of equipment alarms monitors and a vehicle wheel chair lift that cost $35k. Was all under 18 months old and rang NDIS to return and was told to dispose of them rather than they be refurbished and reused. Got me thinking so I searched for a vehicle wheel chair lift. Online they can be had for between $7 and $13k installed with engineering certification. And there in lies the problem with NDIS. Let’s say a worst case and let’s call the wheel chair lift $15k. Someone along the way has added somewhere close to $20k to the supply. Add to that some of the other rorts ( family respite holidays, highly inflated home repairs, inflated carer day rates are some that have been reported) that are blowing the NDIS budget out of the water.

AndyinOz

As a side note on NDIS… hope not too far off topic. Listened to 3AW caller ring in a few days ago. Ex defence member husband died who had been unwell for 3 years and on NDIS. The wife reported had about $40k worth of equipment alarms monitors and a vehicle wheel chair lift that cost $35k. Was all under 18 months old and rang NDIS to return and was told to dispose of them rather than they be refurbished and reused. Got me thinking so I searched for a vehicle wheel chair lift. Online they can be had for between $7 and $13k installed with engineering certification. And there in lies the problem with NDIS. Let’s say a worst case and let’s call the wheel chair lift $15k. Someone along the way has added somewhere close to $20k to the supply. Add to that some of the other rorts ( family respite holidays, highly inflated home repairs, inflated carer day rates are some that have been reported) that are blowing the NDIS budget out of the water.
Just to add my two cents to that particular program as an actual participant, the capacity for rorting is inbuilt because of the level of bureaucracy and somewhat of a lack of oversight of private organisations who now have a huge amount of public funds dangled in front of them like golden carrots is mind boggling. the amount of funding that was utilised on examinations, evaluations, report writing etc to 'justify' the release of funds to purchase of a new wheelchair for myself was about a 1/3 of the cost of the piece of equipment itself. Not to mention the amount of time that I had to keep my rather well used and long in the tooth existing one going (crawling around was an undesirable option) . I suppose that is just the way that it goes with bureaucratic behemoths. Even then there were modifications required so it was fit for purpose.

I suppose the same could be said of past, present but hopefully not future defence projects, though I will be careful in holding my breath. It will certainly be interesting to see what sort of efficencies are made within the overall government budget, and within defence to have funding available for whatever recommendations within the DSR for additional equipment and capabilities and those committed to and seemingly immune from being changed make it through the post DSR decisions. As long as overall capability remains or is hopefully enhanced to see to the core mission or focus of defence then I am comfortable with whatever is decided. Though I will be as I am sure everyone is curious as to what direction things will go and no doubt will result in some interesting debate to read from those far more knowledgeable than myself.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Bob,you are spot on.
Anything that is government funded ends up costing way more than it should.
Actually, does not even have to be government funded, I got that bit wrong. Insurance company repairs are rort to.