ADF General discussion thread

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Of course there is always some Scumbags who think ADF Members are there to be abused and spat on. .
Notably in this case internet "influencers", the lowest of low self regarding keyboard warriors accusing ADF members of not getting their hands dirty.

oldsig

cdxbow

Care to list and link the funding cuts to the NSW SES ?

Cheers
In NSW, in the region hit by floods, reorganisation to save money did result in the closure of a number of branches SES units in flood-hit NSW raised alarm in 2020 that restructure threatened ‘future of the service’ | Emergency services | The Guardian I will leave it up to you whether that is considered funding cuts, but to my mind it is. The other thing I will have you consider, if the scope and number of disasters is increasing then providing the same level of funding/rescources is basically inadequate.

InterestedParty

Of course there is always some Scumbags who think ADF Members are there to be abused and spat on. The same type of idiots who will abuse Petrol Station Employees over Fuel prices or think the don't have to wear masks or drag out the old "I pay Taxes so I'm your Boss, so do what I say" crap.
I am constantly disappointed y what seems to be a common misconception in Australia, particularly by the media, in time of national emergency. People seem to think that the ADF has a limitless amount of personnel and equipment who will magically appear to solve a problem.
Case in point, support staff in aged care homes, covid logistics, flood relief, bush fires.
I am sure our wonderful service men and women are happy to help where and when they can, but that is not why they joined up and there are not as many of them as people seem to think
People expect to see a soldier in every street and that is just not realistic

hauritz

I fully understand that it is an election year.
And with my limited knowledge I am very happy with the professionalism, skills and equipment of the ADF.
I have absolutely no idea on where extra funds could be obtained. Wrt drumbeat for all the services upcoming or existing builds, put on a night shift, is the best I've got I'm afraid.
So we are all lucky I am not involved in any of the above
The ADF is behind schedule in a number of major projects so a lot of the currently allocated funding isn't being spent. Personally I would like to see that funding redirected to capabilities that could be bought online ASAP. Australia, and in fact the whole region's, strategic situation continues to deteriorate and we need a greater sense of urgency if we are going to address it.

Redlands18

I am constantly disappointed y what seems to be a common misconception in Australia, particularly by the media, in time of national emergency. People seem to think that the ADF has a limitless amount of personnel and equipment who will magically appear to solve a problem.
Case in point, support staff in aged care homes, covid logistics, flood relief, bush fires.
I am sure our wonderful service men and women are happy to help where and when they can, but that is not why they joined up and there are not as many of them as people seem to think
People expect to see a soldier in every street and that is just not realistic
Of course what most of these Scumbags refuse to accept, is the ADF cannot deploy on a HADR mission until directed to do so by the Federal Government and that cannot happen until a formal request is received from the State Government.

SMC

NSWSES underwent an organisation restructure back in 2018 (I think it was around November) which saw 17 regions replaced with 5 zones. This reorganisation led to the loss of full-time staff.

On the back of this reorganisation, the NSW Government announced in 2018-2019 an efficiency dividend of 2 to 3 percent across all NSW Government departments.

Edit....Just taken on board what Morgo has posted.......I will have to drill down to see where those increases are going.

Rather than clogging up the ADF thread with a non-related discussion on a State issue, I am more than happy to discuss this offline.

Last edited:

Morgo

NSWSES underwent an organisation restructure back in 2018 (I think it was around November) which saw 17 regions replaced with 5 zones. This reorganisation led to the loss of full-time staff.

On the back of this reorganisation, the NSW Government announced in 2018-2019 an efficiency dividend of 2 to 3 percent across all NSW Government departments.

Rather than clogging up the ADF thread with a non-related discussion on a State issue, I am more than happy to discuss this offline.
For completeness - you're 100% right. If you go back one more year they chopped about $15m out. Back on topic.

Morgo

Leaked documents suggest Solomon Islands plans to allow Chinese military presence

Leaked documents suggest Solomon Islands plans to allow Chinese military presence

I’m sure this new development will have more than a few people quietly concerned in Canberra and our immediate allies. To be honest I feel it was a matter of time anyway, although I was hoping this step wouldn’t occur for a few more years yet.
The question is - what are we doing about it? This is an untenable situation and it needs to be clear to the Solomons that this is unacceptable to us. Having secure shipping routes to the US and Japan is a vital national interest

I don’t like being extorted, but a 20% increase in our aid to the Solomons should be offered in return for booting out the Chinese and hosting a permanent Australian base. The alternative is sanctions against the leadership.

buffy9

The question is - what are we doing about it? This is an untenable situation and it needs to be clear to the Solomons that this is unacceptable to us. Having secure shipping routes to the US and Japan is a vital national interest

I don’t like being extorted, but a 20% increase in our aid to the Solomons should be offered in return for booting out the Chinese and hosting a permanent Australian base. The alternative is sanctions against the leadership.
We don't have the actual document ourselves to judge the actual threat. We have to take the ABC's word for it. Certainly if submarines, task groups or even carriers were to make use of it in the future, then that is a significant threat for us - something I'm sure Sogavare and the SI parliament are aware of to some extent.

I believe that there has been some acceptance that there will be an increased Chinese presence in the South Pacific. Hence the program to expand JORN's coverage to the East, the commitment to build an East coast submarine base (among other reasons) and the Pacific Step-up.

We should be cautious about pushing our weight too heavily in our* region, they are soverign nations who can (and have) made efforts to assure their own independence from Australia (i.e. Melanesian Spearhead Group).

Stuart M

We don't have the actual document ourselves to judge the actual threat. We have to take the ABC's word for it. Certainly if submarines, task groups or even carriers were to make use of it in the future, then that is a significant threat for us - something I'm sure Sogavare and the SI parliament are aware of to some extent.

snip
Apparently the document has been put out on social media.

"The draft, released online on Thursday afternoon and verified by the Australian government, is a sharp escalation in the relationship between the two governments after protests, riots and looting gripped the island nation in November."

China-Solomon Islands security deal set to house navy off Australian coast (smh.com.au)

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Be careful. The Soloman Islands is an independent nation, not ours to lean on any more than China's. They have every right to choose the best deal. We have every incentive to convince them that it's not in their best interest, but sanctions are a blunt and uncertain instrument likely to do the reverse. (cv Chinese trade sanctions against *us*)

oldsig

Morgo

Be careful. The Soloman Islands is an independent nation, not ours to lean on any more than China's. They have every right to choose the best deal. We have every incentive to convince them that it's not in their best interest, but sanctions are a blunt and uncertain instrument likely to do the reverse. (cv Chinese trade sanctions against *us*)

oldsig
I agree. To clarify - I absolutely did not mean sanctions on the nation as a whole. Only Sogavare and his associates.

It seems there is significant disquiet amongst the SI people about Sogavare getting closer to China and the last thing we would want to do would be to paint Australia as anything other than a loyal and generous friend to them (the SI people).