The submarine, designated as Graney-class by NATO, had been under construction at the Sevmash shipyard in northern Russia since 1993.
“The delivery acceptance certificate for the first Yasen was signed at Sevmash on December 30,” the source said.
The Severodvinsk is one of eight Yasen-class attack boats ordered by the Russian navy. The second and third subs of the series, the Kazan and the Novosibirsk, are being built under the updated Project 885M Yasen-M design.
The Severodvinsk has a submerged displacement of 13,800 tons, length of 119 meters, speed of 31 knots, and can dive to 600 meters. It has a crew of 90 including 32 officers.
Its main armament consists of 24 Oniks (SS-N-26) and Kalibr (SS-N-27) cruise missiles, self-guided torpedoes and mines.
Meanwhile, the Northern Fleet said Monday that the Smolensk, a Project 949A (Oscar II-class) nuclear-powered attack submarine, had rejoined the fleet after two years of repairs and upgrading at the Zvyozdochka shipyard in northern Russia.
Built in 1990, the Smolensk has a length of 155 meters, displacement of up to 24,000 tons, operating depth of 600 meters, and maximum submerged speed of 32 knots. It is armed with 24 P-700 Granit (SS-N-19 Shipwreck) supersonic cruise missiles with a range of 550 kilometers (300 nautical miles).
Another Oscar II-class attack submarine, the Voronezh, returned to the Northern Fleet in November 2011 after a similar overhaul.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:russia, f 15 in russia, mi 29, yasen class, yasen class submarine
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen the best jeep yet?
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Singapore Navy
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Т-35A Up and Running
- F-35 - International Participation