Greg Combet, Minister for Defence Personnel, Material and Science, today finalized discussions with US industry on Australia’s Future Submarine project that will replace the Collins class submarines.
“The United States is a leader in the design and development of submarine technology, and I expect that Australia will look to learn from companies like General Dynamics Electric Boat and Lockheed Martin in designing and developing the Collins class replacement,” Mr Combet said.
“The Future Submarine will be Australia’s largest ever Defense acquisition and the Rudd Government is committed to ensuring that Australia obtains a world leading submarine capability. US technology is likely to be an important facilitator of this capability.
“Electric Boat designs and shares the build of the Virginia class submarines for the US Navy and has been instrumental in driving down production costs to enable the US to increase the production rate of these submarines.
“Lockheed Martin is a major supplier in the US Navy submarine combat system, the Collins Replacement Combat System supplies submarine combat systems or components to Spain and the United Kingdom.”
“I welcome the interest from US industry in supporting the Future Submarine project.
“Any US involvement in the Future Submarine would build on the relationships developed with Electric Boat and other US companies in support of the Collins class.”
Mr Combet also discussed the ongoing arrangements between ASC and Electric Boat in support of the Collins class.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- Russia might make ICBM submersible
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Surface vessel decoys and countermeasures
- U.S. Army use of ETD/EDS & CIED doctrine
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 / Super-7 Discussions
- Aircraft Surveillance Operator RAAF
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?
- The Indonesian Army
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33