Greg Combet, Minister for Defence Personnel, Material and Science, today finalized discussions with US industry on Australia’s Future Submarine project that will replace the Collins class submarines.
“The United States is a leader in the design and development of submarine technology, and I expect that Australia will look to learn from companies like General Dynamics Electric Boat and Lockheed Martin in designing and developing the Collins class replacement,” Mr Combet said.
“The Future Submarine will be Australia’s largest ever Defense acquisition and the Rudd Government is committed to ensuring that Australia obtains a world leading submarine capability. US technology is likely to be an important facilitator of this capability.
“Electric Boat designs and shares the build of the Virginia class submarines for the US Navy and has been instrumental in driving down production costs to enable the US to increase the production rate of these submarines.
“Lockheed Martin is a major supplier in the US Navy submarine combat system, the Collins Replacement Combat System supplies submarine combat systems or components to Spain and the United Kingdom.”
“I welcome the interest from US industry in supporting the Future Submarine project.
“Any US involvement in the Future Submarine would build on the relationships developed with Electric Boat and other US companies in support of the Collins class.”
Mr Combet also discussed the ongoing arrangements between ASC and Electric Boat in support of the Collins class.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- F-35 - International Participation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates