WW-II: Normandy landing

TrangleC

I thought Heer was army?
The german word "Armee", unlike the english word "Army" means all armed troops, including the Navy and the Airforce. The word "Heer" would be the translation to "Army" because it only means the land forces.

I made the mistake to simplyfy my translation by translating "Kaiserliche Armee" with "Imperial Army". The right (more accurate) translation would have been "Imperial Armed Forces" or something like that.

The name "Kaiserliche Armee" includes the "Kaiserliches Heer" ("Imperial Army"), the "Kaiserliche Marine" ("Imperial Navy") and the "Kaiserliche Luftwaffe" ("Imperial Airforce").

Alas i never heard anybody use the name "Kaiserliche Luftwaffe" and i think it usually was only called "Luftwaffe" even in WW1.
Maybe because the Emperor wasn't very interested in it, hehe. The navy was his favourite toy and he didn't care much for the rest. That is why the german navy hardly did anything during WW1. Wilhelm II. just couldn't stand the thought of his beloved battleships being damaged.

Actually, did you know that Wilhelm II. got the rank of a "admiral honoris causa" of the Royal British Navy? His grandmother Queen Victoria had a hughe portrait of him in a british admiral's uniform hanging in Buckingham Palace that was removed during WW1.
I always wondered how all this royals back then could be so closely as a big family but at the same time have their empires make war against each other.
And it's a funny thought what would have happened if Wilhelm II. would have met a Royal Navy soldier personally and would have given him an order. Would it have been mutiny not to follow that order since Wilhelm was an admiral of the Royal Navy? hehe

I know, i went very off topic here, but the thread seems to be discontinued anyways, so i hope it's not annoying anybody.