Will latest F-35 problems push Norway towards a European solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
GF that was a great post.. A good read. I was unaware of the use of celafane in WW1. Cant have done much for the integrity of the aircrafts skin!
especially when it rained!

Perhaps themost pertinant point you raised there was the way many of us view and compare various platforms, i.e. which one is better/more capable. perhaps the best way to compare various platforms is the individual capabilities they provide and the way they complement your wider system including ground based radar, AEW&C, C4ISR, other platforms and missiles. Organizational comparisons are the only relevent ones, rather than just platforms.
yep, got it one.

as an example, even if Oz had F-22's (which we won't), the sheer capability would not be maximised as we don't have the same degree of complex and as capable complimentary systems that the US has (ie, not just USAF)

It's all about systems - not just platforms

Last edited:

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yet you are prepared to state here that the data-link in the Gripen is "better"?

F-35 is likely to get Link-16. It will in fact also get multiple data-links, with Link-16, the Harris radio systems MADL (Multifunction Advanced Data-Link) plus the new Tactical targeting network technology (TTNT) which works through a fighter aircraft's radio systems and allows data transmission rates of up to 2mbs per second at ranges up to 100nm.
LOL so now I’ve heard that a both the Su-27 and the Gripen will be superior to the F-35… What next? The Sopwith Camel?

The F-35 will probably have the new L-3 modem combined with its AESA for a Radar Common Data Link (R-CDL) capability. R-CDL will transmit at 548 Mbps, receive at 1 Gbps and not disturb the signature of the aircraft. For the record that’s about 100 times better than Link 16.

Ozzy Blizzard

LOL so now I’ve heard that a both the Su-27 and the Gripen will be superior to the F-35… What next? The Sopwith Camel?

The F-35 will probably have the new L-3 modem combined with its AESA for a Radar Common Data Link (R-CDL) capability. R-CDL will transmit at 548 Mbps, receive at 1 Gbps and not disturb the signature of the aircraft. For the record that’s about 100 times better than Link 16.
Link 16 will still be a vital part of the F35's networking capability. As I understand it the problem with an AESA based system is tha you have to point your aircraft at the transmitting/recieveing system (?), which may pose a bit of a problem when your in a BVR fight and attempting to maneuver. In such a scenario Link 16 would still be used to transmit and recieve targeting data from and offboard source (?), and its Kbs capability is ample for this task. As i see it the R-CDL would be used for high volume communications like tranmitting a 10mb+ SAR immage allowing real time battle damage assesment and ISR, something that would take conventional datalinks hours. Thats a big advanatge for theater wide situational awareness.

Scorpion82

Even if they have more efficient T/R modules this will not dramatically increase the radars performance. The point i was making was the various modes available on the system would (should) not be as various or capable as a 3rd gen US system. THAT capability is dictated by software and signal proscessing capability, and newer T/R wont change that one bit, so you would have a slightly more efficient but comperble radar
I agree with the statement that it is the software which is in the end important, but I have the feeling that you think Europe is just working on AESA systems (hardware AND software) since yesterday. Already back in the late 1980s when Dassault and Eurofighter made their choices for the initial radar technologies to be fielded with Eurofighter and Rafale it was clear that AESA would be the way to go in the future. It was planned from the very beginning to replace the MSA/PESA with AESA in the future, AESA was just not mature for fighters at that time. Back in 1993 France, Germany and UK decided to cooperate on AESA development for fighter radars, this program is well known as AMSAR. Next to the government funded AMSAR there were other industry and government funded programs like the british-german CECAR etc. All these aimed at risk reduction and development of key technologies and capabilities. Do you really think the Europeans never wasted any mind on operational applications (software capabilities) at that time?
CAESAR and RBE2AA are nothing else than platform specific developments, based on the ~10 years of work within AMSAR and all the other national/multinational projects done before or still in development.
Of course the US has already operationally fielded AESA systems with fighters, their experience is larger and they invest more money. I don't think any operational version of RBE 2AA or the Captor-E will be as capable as the AN/APG-77/79/81 from day one, but these radars will for sure not be some kind of AN/APG-63(V2) which is essentially an AN/APG-63(V1) with AESA replacing the MSA. One reason for the French to select PESA for the RBE 2 was that it would be easier to upgrade it to AESA and capabilities like simultaneous AA/AG operations or "track here while scan there" are already incorporated.
And BTW if money would be the only factor the US should be the number one at everything, I wonder why they are not (though they are leading in many fields).

energo

I see no gap either. From the current point of view the F-35 might be available in the required time frame. Norway as well as Denmark plan to purchase 48 new fighters between 2016 and 2019. Both nations are level 3 partners, but they haven't decided yet about the purchase and will probably not do so before 2009. Both nations consider the Gripen NG and Eurofighter as well. More problematic is that the US recently insisted that partner nations might get downgraded versions as well. This was disputed in 2006, but seems now to be a given fact. The question is how a downgraded F-35 will look like. On one hand I can understand the US not being willed to share their latest and best technologies, on the other hand I can understand the participating nations not to commit to the purchase yet and to consider alternatives.
It seems unlikely. It was specifically denied by US millitary Col. Richard Harris on visit to Norway in the spring of '06.

It could be a rumour steming from the US DoD website last year, which "downgraded" the RF signature on the F-35 from "extreamly low-observable" to "very low-observable", in the context that it didn't meet the initial RCS goals.

Regards
Bjørnar

Scorpion82

It seems unlikely. It was specifically denied by US millitary Col. Richard Harris on visit to Norway in the spring of '06.

It could be a rumour steming from the US DoD website last year, which "downgraded" the RF signature on the F-35 from "extreamly low-observable" to "very low-observable", in the context that it didn't meet the initial RCS goals.

Regards
Bjørnar
It was denied nack in 2006. But read this:

US are developing a separate JSF for foreign-partners !
(Source: defense-aerospace.com; published Nov. 26, 2007)
by Giovanni de Briganti

After years of claiming that all partner countries of the Joint Strike Fighter would receive identical aircraft, the Pentagon has for the first time implicitly acknowledged that it is developing a different, and less-capable, aircraft than the United States for its foreign partners.

The prospect of receiving less-capable aircraft may dissuade some JSF partner countries, which have not firmly committed to procuring the aircraft, from doing so. The crucial issue in this respect will be the precise technical definition of the “export” JSF, and which features and capabilities it will lose compared to the baseline US version.

On Nov. 15, in a low-key contract announcement , the Pentagon said it was awarding Lockheed Martin Aeronautics a $134,188,724 contract modification “to continue the design, development, verification, and test of Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Partner Version Air System development under the JSF Delta System Development and Demonstration Effort (Delta SDD).”

Neither the Pentagon, the JSF Program Office nor the two main contractors, Lockheed Martin and BAE Systems, have made any previous mention of the “Delta SDD” aircraft, nor of any export-specific changes to the baseline JSF design.

The Nov. 15 release explains that the purpose of this “Delta SDD” contract is to “to develop a version of the JSF Air System that meets U.S. National Disclosure Policy, but remains common to the U.S. Air System, where possible.”

This raises the question of exactly how this degraded “Delta SDD” version will differ from the standard US version, and which capabilities and features will be removed to comply with US national disclosure policy. Given that the JSF’s high-tech features, including stealth, and the capabilities of its electronic systems are the prime reasons which attracted foreign partners in the first place, it remains to be seen whether they will remain as committed to a degraded, less capable yet more expensive aircraft.

When they signed the MoUs to join the JSF Production, Sustainment and Follow-on Development (PSFD) phase in late 2006 and early 2007, several partner countries were particularly insistent that their signature did not commit them to buy the JSF. This was the case of Australia, Britain, Canada and Norway, which together account for 383 of 722 JSF aircraft earmarked for foreign partners.

The same four countries are also financing 7.5% of the program’s first (and current) System Development and Demonstration Phase, and may balk at the program’s ballooning costs.

In April 2007, the Pentagon revealed that the total cost of the JSF had increased to $299.8 billion for 2,458 aircraft, or $121.97 million per aircraft. This is far in excess of the prices mentioned by Lockheed Martin, the program’s prime contractor, which are generally in the $60-$70 million range.

Lowering the unit cost of JSF for partner nations could be one reason for developing a less-capable Delta SDD version. However, reference to US National Disclosure Policy clearly implies that it has proved impossible to deliver on the Pentagon’s promise that countries participating in the JSF program would obtain full access to all the technology of the US version, including the avionics source codes that sparked a major row with the United Kingdom in 2005-2006.

The problem is that sharing technological data with JSF partner nations is severely constrained by the strict export controls contained in the US International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) legislation.

This led to a major row between the US and UK governments in early 2006, and other JSF partners, including Australia, Norway, the Netherlands, Italy and Denmark have also raised the problem with the Pentagon. US Senator Joseph Lieberman said, during March 14, 2006 hearings on JSF by the Senate’s Armed Services Committee, that “very interestingly, [from] the representatives of the U.K., Italy and Australia, I hear a strong, unified voice of concern, complaint, even grievance, about the question of technology transfer.”

The British government tried in vain to obtain a waiver from the ITAR to ensure access to the software codes and other data that they will need to maintain and upgrade their JSFs, but this option was dropped because of “insurmountable” opposition in Congress.

The issue appears to have been solved with Britain, the only JSF Tier I partner, by a bilateral Memorandum of Understanding, signed at the end of 2006 for the JSF’s second phase. This document, which has not been made public, includes a highly classified supplement that details assurances given by the US to the British government, and which deals with the issues of operational sovereignty, incoming UK Defence Procurement Minister Baroness Taylor of Bolton told the Commons Defence Committee during Nov. 21 hearings.

No similar arrangements have been concluded with any of the other JSF partners, although several, including Australia and Norway, have publicly stated that they would demand unfettered access to all of the system’s technology as a condition of their purchase of the JSF.
posted at www.airpower.at by Georg Mader Austrian correspondent for Janes

F-15 Eagle

In the wake of grounding the F-15 fleet the USAF has recently issued a request to keep the production line open and it seems likely that a follow-on batch of 20 Raptors will be ordered. It would extend the production line with about a year. Infact, extending the production to facilitate future orders is one of the arguments in favor of exports.
Correct, the Air force is likely to get an extra 20 F-22 in 2009 and the air force said they need $3.8 billion in 2010 to countinue production. The U.S. Air Force said the production should countinue until 2013. This could mean the the USAF will get at least 220 raptors perhapes as many as 240. The AF is getting support in congress to saying the the AF needs more than 220 F-22. It is very likely that this will happen, because "policy makers are under pressure because Cold War jets are falling out of the sky." The AF has a requirment for at least 381 F-22's.

Ryttare

1) As i stated earlier the T/R modules are not the defining factor in achievening a 3rd gen (or equivelent) system, so i dont know why you brought that up. The defining factor in a 3rd gen capable system is not the array hardware itself (you remember when i said that?).

2) Same does not apply, they can use COTS for the proscessors if need be, which will quite capable. But they will not be able to use the same proscessor as used in the APG 79 and i doubt COTS will be as capable, unless the yanks will sell it, which i doubt. So they will probably use an inferior proscessor.
To my knowledge Gripen use Power PC processors, does for example F-22 use any more capable processors? Obviously JSF will use a newer more capable processor, but the Gripen AESA will of course also use new processors too.

3) The software is the whole point if you want to achieve the advanced modes the APG 79 utilizes. And just because they've written code before does not mean they somehow have the software written or even figured out, to achieve very complex modes like EA or high capacity data transmittions. I seriosly doubt Raytheon (?) will be sharing any secrets as to how any of these advanced modes that have taken years and put loads of US cash to develope. You seem to imply that because someone else has done it, and the capability is known that developing the software is easy? EA was known to be a posibility when AESA's were envisaged, but it still took the US years to wrirte the code & develope the proscessors to allow it to come to fruition. The fact is the sweeds, & euroradar for that matter are in the same position, software wise that the americans were in several years ago, when they were developing 1st/2nd gen systems. But they'll just figure it out huh? Maybe you Europeans are just smarter eh?

Its not just "any technology" and its a hell of alot more sophistocated than a machine gun. You imply that just becasue the americans have a working system of this calibur working that ayone else who can develope the hardware can just make an APG 79, becasue the knowlage has been "shared". Not so mate. Apart from T/R and COTS proscessors the sweds and Euroradar will have to go through most of the same steps the yanks did in order to achieve an APG 79, and simplistic analogies wont change that fact.
Erieyes AESA total radar coverage is bigger than any fighter radar I've heard about. That can be processed and sent directly into the Gripen cockpit via datalink and be used for guiding a missile to it's target. The difference in processing with the Gripen AESA don't seem big and is basically to cut the middleman. Of course the space available in a fighter is smaller than in a passenger plane, but electronics has been improved in capability since 1997. Saab Microwave certainly knows what it takes to develop a fighter AESA. I won't say it will be a walk in the park, but it certainly isn't impossible to create a competitive radar.

And don't believe they will just try to make a copy of the american AESA's, there will certainly be some new development. Saab Microwave has already revealed that they will use a movable array for Gripens AESA, similar to the one of mechanical radars. That way the antenna can be folded away for lower RCS when being radar silent, it will also make it possible to "look over the shoulder". Another advantage should be to be able to look at a target with the outher edge of the radar beam which supposedly gives a good view whith less risk of being discovered. Like looking through the corner of your eyes.

Last edited:

Ryttare

Yet you are prepared to state here that the data-link in the Gripen is "better"?

F-35 is likely to get Link-16. It will in fact also get multiple data-links, with Link-16, the Harris radio systems MADL (Multifunction Advanced Data-Link) plus the new Tactical targeting network technology (TTNT) which works through a fighter aircraft's radio systems and allows data transmission rates of up to 2mbs per second at ranges up to 100nm.

You need to remove the defence-talk referral in front of the address bar for it to work. I just checked, the link still works.
Yes, now I got it to work, thanks. The picture I get from the article is not very rosey though, the article ends like this:

This raises questions. Unless they are operating as part of a coalition with the U.S., and the U.S. has gateway systems in the theater, export JSF operators will be confined to the slow and questionably stealthy Link 16. It also means that the F-22 and F-35 need support from a new, and so far not fully-funded platform to connect at optimal speed to a network.

As the Pentagon's Fiscal 2008 budget request notes, "the type of networking projected to meet . . . tactical requirements is not supported by network theory, network design nor analysis tools."

Network-centric is a longer and harder road than most people think
But to be clear, USA definitely has the technical capability to create a very good datalink, no question about it. But there are obstacles and it will take time. The biggest problem is the big number of planes they operate and various types they have and how these planes are replaced with new ones all the time. In many ways that is an advantage as it makes it possible to all the time try out new technology in relatively small numbers and then improve it. I thought of AESA as an example, but then remembered it was UAE that made it possible. But that's another story. :D

But for networking it's not a good situation when introducing new elements in a varied fleet. The new improved fighters with better datalinks can actually be cut off from the network of older fighters and therefore prevent it's own purpose. The F-22 datalink that seems to have limitations in it's exchange with other american fighters is an example.

Small countries actually has an advantage here as when replacing an old fighter with a new one with better datalinks all or at least a big part of it's fighters can use the network practically emmidiately.

Only if you believe radars are going to get fantastically more powerful over the next 30 years, whilst simultaneously getting smaller so they can actually fit onto weapons, unless you think "Sparrow styled" semi-active radar homing is the "way of the future"...

To believe more powerful radars are the only way to overcome stealth is like believing smaller planes are the only way to reduce RCS. Personally I believe that greater processing power and networking is the way to go, but smarter brains than mine are probably working on it right now. What I'm sure of is that they will come up with answers and some of them will probably surprise us.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
No i havent assumed that the europeans have done nothing. But what is a fact is that the APG 79/77/81 familly has benifited from a decade of development, the largest AESA R&D budget in the world, and lessons from 2 previous generations of OPERATIONAL radar systems. By claiming that the first OPERATIONAL EU radar will be as capable (which you continually have, either directly or by disputing the opposite view) ...
Not what I've claimed. What I have been arguing against is your claim that what Europe (specifically, in this case, Saab-Ericsson & Selex in cooperation) can do, by the time the Gripen gets an AESA radar, is to match the APG63(v)2 ("Even if the Sweeds do get a decent system in grippen block 2/super grippen, i have no doubt it will be as capable as something like the APG 63 (V)2 but to achieve something like the APG 63(v)3, they would have to effectively leapforg several steps in the technologies evoloution, i.e. most likely not gonna happen.").

I have not made any claims that the first operational AESA fighter radar produced by the EU (BTW, there are quite a few EU-made AESA radars operational already, including airborne, e.g. those bought by the USCG for their patrol aircraft, so we're not discussing the first operational AESA radar) will match or surpass any current or future US AESA fighter radar, because I'm not privy to the information necessary. But I am confident that your claim is false.

It's a matter of public record that the major European countries opted not to field radars of the technical level of the APG63(v)2, since they considered the ratio of cost to performance to be unacceptable. The hardware was too expensive, too heavy, & too hard to cool. Since the USA fielded so few APG63(v)2s, I suspect that view may also have had its adherents in the USA.

France went a different way from other European countries, opting for PESA as an interim radar until AESA hardware was more developed, the UK & its Eurofighter partners developing an outstanding mechanically-scanned radar to fill the same slot. But everyone continued to develop the software & hardware for AESA, with the co-operative programmes Scorpion mentions & separate national & company programmes, aiming at being ready to exploit the technology when the price/performance ratio of the hardware reached an acceptable level, which it now, clearly, has.

European countries have not spent anything near as much as the USA, & the greater US spending is likely to be reflected in a US advantage. But they are not stuck in the 1990s, as you seem to believe. Maybe not where the USA is, but nor are they three generations behind.

Ozzy Blizzard

To my knowledge Gripen use Power PC processors, does for example F-22 use any more capable processors? Obviously JSF will use a newer more capable processor, but the Gripen AESA will of course also use new processors too.
COTS Proscessors are used in the F22A, and will be for the F35, but AFAIK the signal prosesor itself is something better (considering the staggering ammount of information it has to deal with every second you could see why). However prosessing technolagy is moveing at an incredible rate, and even COTS stuff in 8 years will be better than what the military use now, so who knows. Anywy the punch is in the riduculously complicated software.

Erieyes AESA total radar coverage is bigger than any fighter radar I've heard about. That can be processed and sent directly into the Gripen cockpit via datalink and be used for guiding a missile to it's target. The difference in processing with the Gripen AESA don't seem big and is basically to cut the middleman. Of course the space available in a fighter is smaller than in a passenger plane, but electronics has been improved in capability since 1997. Saab Microwave certainly knows what it takes to develop a fighter AESA. I won't say it will be a walk in the park, but it certainly isn't impossible to create a competitive radar.
I understand the sweeds were at the forefront of the AEW&C, Fighter, Missile system, IIRC the first to achieve passive AMRAAM launch operationally, so i'm not doubting the sweeds ingenuity or capability. Erieye itself is a very capable system and would have given the sweeds ample knowlage in in area's like beam controll, scan rates and discrimination.They would have much more experiance and better array hardware than the russians who are just getting a testbed into the air. However building a fighter sized system is annother story, thats why it'll be 15 years between AEW&C and Fighter. The miniturization, cooling constraints and ruggerdization of the hardware are huge challanges, however considering the COTS components and non US development of this hardware, building the array wont be the problem, which is what i've said a few times. Considering Saab microvawe's ERIEYE experiance and the availability of Hardware i have no doubt the sweeds (or the rest of the europeans) will be able to build a decent AESA radar with better capabilities than a US 2nd gen system, with better weight and efficiency and probably better track and detection radii becasue of better proscessors i.e. instentanious scan rates, simultainious air and surface scan, scan while track and LPI. Which isnt bad for your first operational fighter radar. However achieventing the advanced capabilities of the AN/APG 81, for all the reasons i have stated above, is something I really, really doubt. It is a hugely sophistocated system, achieveng extreemly good detection and track radii compared to power output becasue of the discriminatory capabilities of the proscessors and software, allowing an AESA based datalink system, providning an extreemley potent and versitile electronic warfare capability with effects in the 150km+ range bracket, possibly a very sensitive ELINT system when not transmitting, in addition to the stuff they dont know about. Now will the europeans make up all of this ground (considering they're still only useing a testbed and the APG 79 is operational) and produce a system of THAT calibur? Anythings possible i guess, but i really, really doubt it.

Anyway, the threat aircraft are all russian and the EU's done much more comprehensive work on AESA's than them. The ZHUK-AE is a long long way behind Captor-E/CAESAR as an example.

And don't believe they will just try to make a copy of the american AESA's, there will certainly be some new development. Saab Microwave has already revealed that they will use a movable array for Gripens AESA, similar to the one of mechanical radars. That way the antenna can be folded away for lower RCS when being radar silent, it will also make it possible to "look over the shoulder". Another advantage should be to be able to look at a target with the outher edge of the radar beam which supposedly gives a good view whith less risk of being discovered. Like looking through the corner of your eyes.
I didnt mean Saab would copy the US systems specifically but emulate their capabilities.

As far as the mechanically scanned AESA (oxymoron), its been looked at before. While it is advantagoues for several reasons which you have sighted, there is a reason why no one else is looking at this technique. MAESA sacrifices one of AESA's big advantages, reliability. By the nature of AESA it has much, much better mean time between failure rates than an MSA, becasue fo the huge redundency in the system. If a few T/R modules break you would probably not even notice capability wise, and they could be replaced during routine maininance cycles. If anything breaks in an MSA then the whole system goes down, drastically reducing reliability.

swerve said:
Not what I've claimed. What I have been arguing against is your claim that what Europe (specifically, in this case, Saab-Ericsson & Selex in cooperation) can do, by the time the Gripen gets an AESA radar, is to match the APG63(v)2 ("Even if the Sweeds do get a decent system in grippen block 2/super grippen, i have no doubt it will be as capable as something like the APG 63 (V)2 but to achieve something like the APG 63(v)3, they would have to effectively leapforg several steps in the technologies evoloution, i.e. most likely not gonna happen.").
Then you have missed the point of the conversation and the point i was making. This discussion on radars started when Ryttare claimed that the Grippen's avionics package would not be all that different the F35's and sighted the fact that it would be equiped with an AESA radar. The point i have been making is that just because you have an active array doesent mean you have something as capable as the AN/APG 77/79/81, i.e. some AESA's are more equal than others. That is the WHOLE point of this discussion, and it is exactly what i said in the quote you have written above. There is a put load more that goes into a 3rd gen or equivelant system than T/R modules and a cooling system.

You have in effect selectively quoted/selectively read both the quote outlined above and most of what i have said in this thread. I never said CAESAR/ whatever Grippens radar will be called will be exactly as capable as a specific US system called APG 63(v)2, to extrapolte that from what i have said really misses/aviods the crux of the argument. What i said was while i have no doubt (no problem) with the sweeds achieveing something ascapable as system A (maybe more capable, sure), but achieveing the capabilities of system B is very unlikely for all of the reasons i have stated above (there's the point of the argument). APG 63(v)2 was just an example of a 2nd gen US system, and you have in effect only responded to 14 words and ignored the rest of the statement and rest of the discussion, which distorts their meaning.

I have not made any claims that the first operational AESA fighter radar produced by the EU (BTW, there are quite a few EU-made AESA radars operational already, including airborne, e.g. those bought by the USCG for their patrol aircraft, so we're not discussing the first operational AESA radar) will match or surpass any current or future US AESA fighter radar, because I'm not privy to the information necessary. But I am confident that your claim is false.
Considering what i have actually been saying the whole time, which is; I seriously doubt any EU 1st gen systems will be as capable as US 3rd gen systems, and therefore just because Grippen has an AESA does not mean it will have as capable a radar as the F35, THAT is my contention sir. By disputing it, as you have done continually, you are therefore, taking the opposite view that such a system will be as capable. Hence my response.

And as far as operational AESA's its quite clear i was talking about fighter sized radar's which is obvious the reference to 3rd gen. Should we discuss the US's PESA radar capability in fighters becasue of SPY-1D??? Sure they have some experiance, but you wouldnt say they could make an Ibris, significantly faster, with much less rescources and money would you?

It's a matter of public record that the major European countries opted not to field radars of the technical level of the APG63(v)2, since they considered the ratio of cost to performance to be unacceptable. The hardware was too expensive, too heavy, & too hard to cool. Since the USA fielded so few APG63(v)2s, I suspect that view may also have had its adherents in the USA.
Thats fine mate, considering the europeans will field these systems a decade later i have no doubt they will be significantly more efficient considering the improvement in array hardware alone. But again this is completely beside the point.

France went a different way from other European countries, opting for PESA as an interim radar until AESA hardware was more developed, the UK & its Eurofighter partners developing an outstanding mechanically-scanned radar to fill the same slot. But everyone continued to develop the software & hardware for AESA, with the co-operative programmes Scorpion mentions & separate national & company programmes, aiming at being ready to exploit the technology when the price/performance ratio of the hardware reached an acceptable level, which it now, clearly, has.
I have no doubt the various EU R&D programmes have made significant progress. Considering russian and chinese progress, CAESAR should be the most capable, non US system, in the market for some time. But, and APG 79 it does not make.

European countries have not spent anything near as much as the USA, & the greater US spending is likely to be reflected in a US advantage. But they are not stuck in the 1990s, as you seem to believe. Maybe not where the USA is, but nor are they three generations behind.
Look, my whole contention was not that EU AESA tech is back in the 90's, and if you read what i wrote thats not what i have in fact claimed (i refered to Eu's radar as 1st gen, becasue it techically is EU's first gen). But i have had conversations with several Europeans (this included) where they stated that CAESAR/Saab's AESA will recitfy any radar deficiency they have vs US platforms, becasue they are AESA's. Well sir, that is clearly not the case.

@scorpion...

Sorry for not replying to your posts but i think everything is covered above.

A

Aussie Digger

Regards
Bjørnar
That was a change of service terminology. it had nothing to do with the capabilities of the aircraft...

Scorpion82

@Ozzy,
one question that rises for me is what is a 1st gen AESA in your opinion, if you class the APG-63(V2) as 2nd generation system?

Edit:
To sum the entire discussion up, because it starts running circles.
I think we can all agree that it is unlikely that first European AESA systems are comparable to the latest 3rd gen US AESA at the time they become available. But they are likely to be supperior to the APG-63(V2) which is nothing else than a MSA radar pimped with AESA. It doesn't provide anything new except for the array with the resulting benefits in performance.
In the end we can just wait and see, though I doubt that we'll be able to judge anytime soon as the most important and interesting parts will be kept classified.

Ryttare

I understand the sweeds were at the forefront of the AEW&C, Fighter, Missile system, IIRC the first to achieve passive AMRAAM launch operationally, so i'm not doubting the sweeds ingenuity or capability. Erieye itself is a very capable system and would have given the sweeds ample knowlage in in area's like beam controll, scan rates and discrimination.They would have much more experiance and better array hardware than the russians who are just getting a testbed into the air. However building a fighter sized system is annother story, thats why it'll be 15 years between AEW&C and Fighter. The miniturization, cooling constraints and ruggerdization of the hardware are huge challanges, however considering the COTS components and non US development of this hardware, building the array wont be the problem, which is what i've said a few times. Considering Saab microvawe's ERIEYE experiance and the availability of Hardware i have no doubt the sweeds (or the rest of the europeans) will be able to build a decent AESA radar with better capabilities than a US 2nd gen system, with better weight and efficiency and probably better track and detection radii becasue of better proscessors i.e. instentanious scan rates, simultainious air and surface scan, scan while track and LPI. Which isnt bad for your first operational fighter radar. However achieventing the advanced capabilities of the AN/APG 81, for all the reasons i have stated above, is something I really, really doubt. It is a hugely sophistocated system, achieveng extreemly good detection and track radii compared to power output becasue of the discriminatory capabilities of the proscessors and software, allowing an AESA based datalink system, providning an extreemley potent and versitile electronic warfare capability with effects in the 150km+ range bracket, possibly a very sensitive ELINT system when not transmitting, in addition to the stuff they dont know about. Now will the europeans make up all of this ground (considering they're still only useing a testbed and the APG 79 is operational) and produce a system of THAT calibur? Anythings possible i guess, but i really, really doubt it.

Anyway, the threat aircraft are all russian and the EU's done much more comprehensive work on AESA's than them. The ZHUK-AE is a long long way behind Captor-E/CAESAR as an example.
In early development of fighter AESA radars the three biggest difficulties I've heard about has been cooling, cooling and cooling. When Gripen was developed AESA was seen as not possible mostly due to heat problems. If one is mean you could say that Erieye was the result of a failed attempt to create an AESA for Gripen.When they couldn't find a way to cool it inside Gripens nose they put in a box on top of a passenger plane in the wind and the problem was solved. On a more serious note it's probably not a coincidence that Gripen and Erieye became operational at the same time.

You believe it's impossible for Gripen to get an AESA in the same class as F-35 because of the greater experience of the americans in AESAs. You have a point, but I think you exaggerate their advantages. First Eriksson Microwave showed a basic capability when they developed their first operational airborne AESA and not only made it work but also capable of being successful on the world market. That basic ability has probably been further developed by the experience from operating Erieye, especially in the processing and software area.

The americans has an experience in operating fighter AESAs, but that's with the older T/R modules. How applicable is that experience to the new improved modules? They have certainly learnt much about how to cool the arrays, but the new modules are not as picky in that area. There are certainly areas of experience from the old modules that can be useful for the new ones. But I'm quite sure that the new technology will require all developers to start from a clean sheet in other areas.

But I'm not saying the americans don't have any advantages from their experience in fighter AESAs, they probably have. Just as the F-35 array will probably be bigger than Gripens, all of this is an advantage, but I don't think it is as big as you seems to think. But if you factor in value for money the picture can just as well sway the other way. As it looks now F-35 will probably be significantly more expensive to purchase and operate. That would mean that Norway for the same budget could either buy more Gripens and get more radars in the air. Or they could perhaps afford to get AEW&C for radar support.

I didnt mean Saab would copy the US systems specifically but emulate their capabilities.

As far as the mechanically scanned AESA (oxymoron), its been looked at before. While it is advantagoues for several reasons which you have sighted, there is a reason why no one else is looking at this technique. MAESA sacrifices one of AESA's big advantages, reliability. By the nature of AESA it has much, much better mean time between failure rates than an MSA, becasue fo the huge redundency in the system. If a few T/R modules break you would probably not even notice capability wise, and they could be replaced during routine maininance cycles. If anything breaks in an MSA then the whole system goes down, drastically reducing reliability.
I don't believe that a movable platform would be so vulnerable to failures in itself that it could be any major problem. It could be made much simpler and more rugged than for a mechanical radar and will have much less wear. It's also a good chans that even if it has technical problems it could be as useful as a fixed array.

It's more likely that fixed arrays has been used so far for AESAs because of difficulties to create cooling of a movable array. The newer improved modules should make that much easier.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
@Ozzy,
one question that rises for me is what is a 1st gen AESA in your opinion, if you class the APG-63(V2) as 2nd generation system?
The US uses clear defined generations for AESA. 1st generation is actually Passive Electronically Scanned Arrays (PESA) like the radar on the B-1B bomber. 2nd generation are radars like the original F-22 AESA, 3rd generation the systems for JSF, Blockl II Super Hornet and the new F-22 AESA, 4th generation is MR-TIP and 5th generation conformal AESA.

Scorpion82

The US uses clear defined generations for AESA. 1st generation is actually Passive Electronically Scanned Arrays (PESA) like the radar on the B-1B bomber. 2nd generation are radars like the original F-22 AESA, 3rd generation the systems for JSF, Blockl II Super Hornet and the new F-22 AESA, 4th generation is MR-TIP and 5th generation conformal AESA.
PESA is not AESA, so if we speak about AESA generations you can't consider the PESA systems. If so you have to speak about ESA in general.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Eurofighter May Quit Contests in Denmark, Norway
By ANDREW CHUTER, LONDON

Eurofighter is set to walk away from fighter competitions in Denmark and Norway following the delivery of letters this week from the German government announcing that the four-nation consortium was suspending activities to secure the Nordic contracts.

A Norwegian Ministry of Defence spokesman said a letter from the Eurofighter nations had been received Dec. 20. He said the MoD was not in a position to comment.

A spokesman for the Danish MoD said it would not be able to comment until Dec. 21.

One industry source said the feeling in the Eurofighter nations was that the two competitions had been tilted in favor of the Lockheed Martin-led F-35 Lightning II.

A second source familiar with the Nordic programs said that Britain, Germany, Italy and Spain — the four nations involved in the program to develop and build the Typhoon multirole combat aircraft — had suspended their involvement but stopped short of a complete withdrawal.

“Eurofighter has suspended its participation in the fighter replacement programs in Denmark and Norway,” the second source said. “One reason I heard was the move appeared to be related to recent adjustments to the timing and structure of the assessment process.”

A spokesman for EADS, the Eurofighter partner that leads the sales effort in the Nordic region, confirmed the suspension but declined to elaborate on the reasons for the decision or what would be required to get the campaign block lifted.

Eurofighter is an industrial consortium made up of EADS, BAE Systems and Finmeccanica.

Denmark and Norway are participants in the international F-35 program but have kept open their competitions to rival fighter aircraft.

For example, in Norway, the government has funded small industrial participation programs involving local industry in technology development with Eurofighter and Saab.

As a result, the Typhoon has been engaged in a three-way fight with the F-35 and the Saab Gripen-D in a multibillion-dollar program aimed at replacing F-16s in the Royal Norwegian Air Forces. A similar competition is underway in Denmark. As many as a 100 aircraft could eventually be ordered by the two nations.

The F-35 has been the favorite to win the competitions in both countries, but for some time now, a new version of the Gripen-D has been emerging as an increasingly formidable rival.

A spokesman for European rival Saab said its intention to compete with the Gripen-D in the Danish and Norwegian contests remained unchanged.

http://defensenews.com/story.php?F=3263346&C=europe

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Scorpion82

I'll remember to pass your opinion onto Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems next time we are talking. I'm sure they will update all their documentation and terminology to be inline with your thinking.

http://www.es.northropgrumman.com/ASD/brochures/combat/AESA.pdf
No need to do it, because they differentiate between AESA and PESA. And their listing of AESA generations do not include the AN/APQ-164 of the Bone. Try better the next time, and read your own sources:p:

Status
Not open for further replies.