Which do you think was/is the Greatest Empire ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggychow14

In real terms what empire ever rivalled the British Empire
At that time, none. But if history is to be examined there are usually one or two empires or superpowers in existance at one time. There is never more. The British Empire was the superpower of its day. But all superpowers or empires will eventually lose their power, and that power is shifted to another country. The reason the west came to power was because of their aggression. It was not until the United States before western ideas of freedom and democracy began to flourish in the West. Before the modern era, the world was split into 2 different parts, the East, and the West. There was barely any interaction between them. In terms of Wealth, and technology the East was ahead before the 20th century.

ajay_ijn

doggychow14 said:
At that time, none. But if history is to be examined there are usually one or two empires or superpowers in existance at one time. There is never more. The British Empire was the superpower of its day. But all superpowers or empires will eventually lose their power, and that power is shifted to another country. The reason the west came to power was because of their aggression. It was not until the United States before western ideas of freedom and democracy began to flourish in the West
It was because of [size=-1]Renaissance,the west came to power and ruled the world.
Much before US got independence the renaissance came to light to remove the dark ages.
Freedom of thinking,Freedom of speech etc made them leaders of economy,military etc.
[/size]
The British Empire was the superpower of its day.
British Empire was the most stable and longest and also the largest empire from the 1600 to Second World war.
Even if british faced a more powerful enemy,they make friedship with him or bring their own allies and unite to defeat with the enemy.
Sometimes they used cunning ideas of breaking the friendship between two kingdoms and make them fight with each other,they also used it againt communities or religions.
Example:British Knew Japanese Military was very Strong during early years of 1900,So they immediately made treaties with her so that no threat will be their for their colonies in east asia.

A single day won't be enough to describe the saga of british empire.

But in a Single line we can say
Sun never sets in the British Empire.

Hitler was one of reasons for making the sun to set

Anybody here likes barbarians in europe who i think were one of the reasons of collapse of roman empire.

[size=-1]
[/size]

doggychow14

at the end of the Roman empire, they had 2 capitals, one at rome, and one at Constaninople. The power began to shift to the middle eastern side of the Roman empire at Constaninople. The Barbarians were people who spoke niether Greek nor Latin. They surrounded the Roman Empire The romans drew a line beyond which themselves rarely ventured and would not allow Barbarians to pass. However they began to filter in Roman society, and the military recruited them to serve in the Roman army. At the same time Roman cities began to decay. Soon they began to settle down within the border. After a few centuries they began to move into the interior where the climate is better. However as they went they pludered, fought, and killed as they went. Soon they sacked the Roman Emperor in the West. As the Western Roman civilization fell, the eastern side (the middle east) flourished and the Byzantine empire formed.

mysterious

ashblackhawk said:
People in middle-east are arabs but, the people who originally lived in sumeria mesopotamia,egypt had nothing to do with islam.Moreover there is no single trace of Islamic value nor we can relate that they used to follow islamic value's. As compared to sumerian/mesopotamian civilization islamic,christian,buddhist traditions are way too young. No doubt middle east is source of inspiration or certainly old as far as civilizations are concerned, but nothing related to religion at all.
Of course Sumerians and Mesopotamians had nothing to do with Islam (who said they did?)!!! Islam came 1400 yrs ago which is obviously a much more recent thing than the Sumerians and Mesopotamians! That is WHY I mentioned Mesopotamia and Islam "separately"! I dunno what you based your replies on.

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
mysterious said:
Of course Sumerians and Mesopotamians had nothing to do with Islam (who said they did?)!!! Islam came 1400 yrs ago which is obviously a much more recent thing than the Sumerians and Mesopotamians! That is WHY I mentioned Mesopotamia and Islam "separately"! I dunno what you based your replies on.
Hi this quote made me to write the response:

Originally Posted by pasukangeraktjepat
I don't know exactly whether middle-east people is an arabian people or not.But if you're argument is correct i still think that Islamic Value have inspire the people that live in the area.

in this he thinks "he dont know who the people living in middle-east are" and also argues that "islamic value" inspired those people to live in middle-east. Well i think it was also the availabiilty of plenty of water in mesopotamia and much better weather conditions than "desert of sahara" which drive them, foundation of islam was laid eventually.

My apologies for mysterious and ashblackhawk.What i mean in my post is Islam drive the muslim to learn a science and spread the religion all over the world, because Islam told that every man was a caliph of earth (that's what my religion teacher say).I think this made a people who live in middle-east at that time, whether he was an arab or not, to start a great caliphate.

mysterious

The thing is, people who live in that area (you call it Middle-East, I call it Near-East because Middle-East is such a euro-centric term) were alwayz Arabs! They didn't 'change' from time to time. Its just that when the region was called Sumeria, they were called Sumerians, when it was dominated by Mesopotamia, they came to be known as Mesopotamians; but all those names vanished because of the long-lasting name Arabia of that place and so they came to be known as Arabs to this day! Hope that makes sense. This is applicable to all parts of the world.

Ashblackhawk, pasukangeraktjepat is right that Islamic values and commandments 'urged' the people to strive and make that extra effort to learn what they did and drive the world ahead! Your wordings that the foundation of Islam was 'eventually' laid seemz to be overwhelmingly out of place as Islam wasn't something that was being schemed behind closed doors by some waiting for the right time to expose it to the people outside! It was a revelation that came to the Prophet based on God's decision when to send it.

Finally I would like to advise that whenever you are using a religion's name and/or using its name to refer to something, please use a capital letter at the beginning to show mutual respect around in here. Will be appreciated!

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing is, people who live in that area (you call it Middle-East, I call it Near-East because Middle-East is such a euro-centric term) were alwayz Arabs! They didn't 'change' from time to time. Its just that when the region was called Sumeria, they were called Sumerians, when it was dominated by Mesopotamia, they came to be known as Mesopotamians; but all those names vanished because of the long-lasting name Arabia of that place and so they came to be known as Arabs to this day!
I doubt it. The Assaryans, Hetites, Persians, ancient Sumerians were not Arab or even semetic.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
srirangan said:
I doubt it. The Assaryans, Hetites, Persians, ancient Sumerians were not Arab or even semetic.
Sri I think before Islam these Arabs hated non-arabs because they were black and i think also slaves (i think those non-arabs were from Africa ) Arabs also attacked the Persians and romans i dont know much about the romans but the country now in place is Iran and also may be Iraq but these people are white. Now these Arabs also have union kind of thing and do not let others to come in i think the countries are specified and they were the people who made this relegion to spread in the large area

srirangan

Banned Member
Arabs were just tribes and cities scattered across the desert. They were used as mercs by other kingdoms of that region prior to Islam. Each arab city had its own god and all arab cities united in the hujj and worshipped their idols/gods in the karbala before Islam.

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
mysterious said:
The thing is, people who live in that area (you call it Middle-East, I call it Near-East because Middle-East is such a euro-centric term) were alwayz Arabs! They didn't 'change' from time to time. Its just that when the region was called Sumeria, they were called Sumerians, when it was dominated by Mesopotamia, they came to be known as Mesopotamians; but all those names vanished because of the long-lasting name Arabia of that place and so they came to be known as Arabs to this day! Hope that makes sense. This is applicable to all parts of the world.

Ashblackhawk, pasukangeraktjepat is right that Islamic values and commandments 'urged' the people to strive and make that extra effort to learn what they did and drive the world ahead! Your wordings that the foundation of Islam was 'eventually' laid seemz to be overwhelmingly out of place as Islam wasn't something that was being schemed behind closed doors by some waiting for the right time to expose it to the people outside! It was a revelation that came to the Prophet based on God's decision when to send it.

Finally I would like to advise that whenever you are using a religion's name and/or using its name to refer to something, please use a capital letter at the beginning to show mutual respect around in here. Will be appreciated!

I think what you are trying to say here does not have any evidence around. My point is if you think that assyrians, sumerians were arabs then why did suddenly they gave up their beliefs and started following Islam ? These must be a gradual process but where are these hard evidence ? its important that arabic countries should encourage excavations around the historical places to find out what lies inside the earth. The truth should be down there somewhere !! :coffee

mysterious

My GOD! I dont know if you guyz ever 'think' before posting?

ashblackhawk said:
... My point is if you think that assyrians, sumerians were arabs then why did suddenly they gave up their beliefs and started following Islam ? These must be a gradual process but where are these hard evidence ? ...
Ashblackhawk, a person who follows Islam is a Muslim and not an ARAB!! People who live in that 'specific' region are called Arabs! (Ever heard of the statement that there are more non-Arab Muslims in the world than Arab Muslims??) That is why we have Arab Christians, Arab Jews, etc. Being an Arab does NOT mean that the person is automatically a Muslim.

And you took an entirely different meaning of my last post than I was implying. I was merely trying to say that people living in that region haven't changed in features or skin color, etc much since time immemorial and Arab has become their 'name' or how you refer to them (if you want to put a label) because of the long lasting name of the region - ARABIA! If to this day, Sumeria or Mesopotamia had lasted, today they'd be known as Sumerians or Mesopotamians! Take Rome for example, if today Rome had existed instead of the different nation-states that are there, the people living there would be known as Romans and not what they're known as today!

Please take a course in anthropology if you still dont understand what I'm trying to say - same goes for the person with the one liner. :coffee

srirangan

Banned Member
People who live in that s livin 'specific' region are called Arabs!
Please take a course in anthropology if you still dont understand what I'm trying to say - same goes for the person with the one liner.
Its you who needs that course. Not all people living in Saudi Arabia are arabs. Arabs are a semetic ethnicity. Arab refers to an ethnicity. Ahmed Ali Shah (SABRE) is an Arab but not living in that region. There can be non-Arabs in the Arabian region.

mysterious

I didnt even come to that yet. I was only talking about the issue being raised by Ashblackhawk! And where exactly does the Arab ethnicity come from? It comes from that 'specific' region. There is no discussion on immigrants for now. It was a basic explanation for ashblackhawk on the raised issue.

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
mysterious said:
My GOD! I dont know if you guyz ever 'think' before posting?

I was merely trying to say that people living in that region haven't changed in features or skin color, etc much since time immemorial and Arab has become their 'name' or how you refer to them (if you want to put a label) because of the long lasting name of the region - ARABIAPlease take a course in anthropology if you still dont understand what I'm trying to say - same goes for the person with the one liner. :coffee
What you have written in this post above it is even kids know it, and i knew these basic stuff when i started learning world history in school, you better check who sumerians, assyrians and mesopotamians are and where they came from because nobody even know weather they had the same skin colour as arabs. Do you know it ? :coffee

mysterious

Anywayz, I've had enough of this baby sitting lesson on anthro. I dont have time to keep banging my head against a wall. I'll let it rest for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.