What equipment is still in operationa/training l use from WWII

t68

I was was surfing the Net a little while ago and I came across something so far out there I could not believe it and was looking to see if this is still true, apparently Taiwan are still using two WWII era submarines in the training role

Must be good steel if it’s last this long in saltwater

Besides tanks in North Korea is anyone else still using Ships from WWII era?

Maybe we should gift them a couple of Collins class submarines when we are done

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I was was surfing the Net a little while ago and I came across something so far out there I could not believe it and was looking to see if this is still true, apparently Taiwan are still using two WWII era submarines in the training role

Must be good steel if it’s last this long in saltwater

Besides tanks in North Korea is anyone else still using Ships from WWII era?

Maybe we should gift them a couple of Collins class submarines when we are done
The Phillipine Navy's BRP Pangasinan and a few other "corvettes" in service are either WWII-era ex-USN Admirable-class minesweepers, or examples of patrolcraft classes which were based off the Admirable-class.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My favourite friend and problem solver, the trusty M2 Browning 50 cal / 12.7 mm HB HMG, and its fraternal twin, the M3M Browning 50 cal / 12.7 HMG.

Terran

The M1911A1 pistol.
40mm Bufors used on the AC130
Some Mortars in some army’s.
one of my favorite is that the Light switch in American vehicles even the latest ones is the same design. Same I think for some ignition switches. With a few changes the crook neck flashlight.

At lakes

https://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww2/greece/giorgios-averof

I don’t know if this qualifies for this thread but this naval vessel was ordered in 1908 completed in 1910. Served in the Balkan war of 1912 WW1 and WW2. She continued to serve in the Greek Navy until 1952 as the flag ship. Then placed in reserve for a period possible waiting the breakers torch, but instead she was returned to service sailed to Poros and used as a training ship tired up alongside until 1983. I don’t think she ever back went to sea during this time, but in 1985 she was towed to Palaio Faliro and it was decided to make her a naval museum and she still serves in that category today.

t68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Getting some good stuff on here, just goes to show how good some design have lasted

But I imagine the small and medium caliber weapons won’t be actual WWII weapons still in service

But it does make how many L1A1 are stored away for the ADF as I remember mick smith gun store in Sydney selling brand new in its original grease packing paper in the 1980’s

I was tempted to buy a MK4 snipers rifle, I still could not believe who many new SMLE he had for sale. But I suppose with the gun laws the way they are the won’t come on the market anyway

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The MG42 used by the Wehrmact in WW2 is still used by the Bundeswehr and other forces. The calibre has been changed from 7.92 mm to 7.65 mm which is the only major difference. Think the Pommy army still use the same mess tins as well and they definitely require a boiling vessel in their tanks which started in WW2. Can't start the day without a cup of the juice of the empire. I also believe that there will be some jeeps being used somewhere.
How about the DC 3/ C47. There is an old bird still flying around some places.
South African Air Force are still operating them.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indonesian TNI still use both M101 and M2A2 105mm Howitzer and Marines still use M30 122 mm Howitzer. Those Howitzer begin production and usage in WW2. However I'm not quite sure whether TNI ones manufacture in WW 2 or period between 1945- Early 50's.
I'm quite sure though TNI got some M101 ex NICA (Dutch East Indies Army).

Either way, it's Howitzer model that both manufactured for the need in WW2 and Korean War.
Below the pictures I got online on TNI M2A2 being towed and M30 in defile (in middle of row).

Attachments

Redlands18

The Peruvian Navy operated the ex Dutch Cruiser De Ruyter from 1973 till 2017. Which was laid down in 1938(but not completed till 1953), thats a total life of 64 years in 2 different Navies

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Russian Black Sea Fleet has a rescue ship laid down in 1912, and commissioned in 1915. It got it's new name, Komunna (Commune) in 1922, and has kept it since then. It's still in active service today. It served through two world wars, starting out in the Baltic, and moving to the Black Sea in the 60s, after a refit, in the 1950s.

EDIT: Weapons from WWII and even pre-WWII have surfaced in Syria, including some StG-44 assault rifles, and some WWII-era artillery.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Couple that spring to mind regarding ships in the Western hemisphere:
  • Mexico still uses around a dozen WW2 USN Auk class minesweepers as patrol boats, as well as a WW2 USN LST.
  • some Central American navies (notably the Dominican Republic with multiple of them) use ex-USCG buoy tenders built around 1942-43 for all kinds of stuff, incl. patrol. The USCG ran these up till around 2000 when the US donated them to these countries.
  • The Argentine patrol boat ARA King was built during WW2, but only commissioned in 1946. Her sisterships ARA Murature, commissioned in 1945, was retired 2014.
  • Three of the Gorch Fock class three-master sail ships were built in 1936-1938 and are still around in active US Coast Guard, Romanian and Portuguese service. The Spanish four-master counterpart has been around since 1928.
  • BAP Puno of the Peruvian Coast Guard, a lake gunboat commissioned in 1872 is still in active service, currently as a hospital ship. Probably the only ship older than Komunna that has a notional active service purpose and isn't just moored somewhere.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Russian Black Sea Fleet has a rescue ship laid down in 1912, and commissioned in 1915. It got it's new name, Komunna (Commune) in 1922, and has kept it since then. It's still in active service today. It served through two world wars, starting out in the Baltic, and moving to the Black Sea in the 60s, after a refit, in the 1950s.

EDIT: Weapons from WWII and even pre-WWII have surfaced in Syria, including some StG-44 assault rifles, and some WWII-era artillery.
Is the rescue ship timber?
If it’s riveted steel it’s a miracleo_O

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is the rescue ship timber?
If it’s riveted steel it’s a miracleo_O
I reckon that she must be kin to the "Bushman's Axe" by now, with every part having been replaced several times over the years.

Far be it for me to recommend Wikipedia as a source, but if they have even half the facts correct she's a remarkable story.

(Please don't ban me!)

oldsig

JohnJT

I know this doesn't quite fit the question, but if you want old...
USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned naval vessel still afloat. She was launched in 1797.

t68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

It’s a wonder that it remains serviceable, how do they go about getting parts for her?