War Against ISIS

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Any military analyst will tell you that real experience come from actually fighting in a real war. With did being said Hezbollah has gotten lot of experience fighting urban warfare. The lesson they learn from this can be use in future combat. Assad's strategic option of letting Hezbollah enter the fight was smart decision. I'm not trying to get on one side of the fence but someone has called like it is. I must said I'm impress with the way they adopt to the war. From the beginning most of all military analyst doubted the Hezbollah ability to help Assad forces. Look forward to 2014 the reverses that been going on no one would have imagine Assad being in position he's in now. The experience will make a big different in any encounter with Israelis forces. When the day come when Hezbollah receives some air defense asset such MANPODS watch out things going be rough.
While combat experience is important, training, professionalism and culture are much more important. The Iraqis had boatloads of experience fighting the Iranians for years. And they got stomped on by much better western troops.

The Syrians fought conventional conflicts against Israel every few years and they weren't able to capitalize on this experience. As a conventional threat they are eliminated for years to come even if Assad wins.

And I doubt that Hezbollah likes to exchange their precious manpower for the experience. They do it because otherwise they would loose their favor with Assad and Iran.

swerve

Super Moderator
Indeed. Anyone remember the Wehrmacht? No experience of real war for 20 years in 1939, unlike the British, French & Italians, who'd kept in practice with colonial wars.

The Russian army in 1994 had a decade of experience fighting Afghans, finished only five years earlier. Remember their performance in Grozny? Slaughtered by a heavily outnumbered & much more lightly armed force of Chechens. Oh, they won eventually - but only through overwhelming force.

You have to make the right use of your experience. You have to learn the right lessons from it, preserve the skills individuals gain from it & disseminate them throughout your forces. If you don't do that, your troops are constantly having to re-learn everything from scratch, & are little or no better than an inexperienced army.

surpreme

Indeed. Anyone remember the Wehrmacht? No experience of real war for 20 years in 1939, unlike the British, French & Italians, who'd kept in practice with colonial wars.

The Russian army in 1994 had a decade of experience fighting Afghans, finished only five years earlier. Remember their performance in Grozny? Slaughtered by a heavily outnumbered & much more lightly armed force of Chechens. Oh, they won eventually - but only through overwhelming force.

You have to make the right use of your experience. You have to learn the right lessons from it, preserve the skills individuals gain from it & disseminate them throughout your forces. If you don't do that, your troops are constantly having to re-learn everything from scratch, & are little or no better than an inexperienced army.
Good point making the right use of your experience. The point about the Russian Army they did not do a lots of training during that time. The Germans did some training they was in Spanish Civil War, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. As the saying go each one teach one past knowledge to new recruits also study what was the mistakes and what was learned from the mistakes. This must come from the top to the bottom. I forgot to mention this thanks.

Maud'Dib

First post, nice to meet everyone.

So, my thoughts are, even if Assad is making continual gains, does this end anytime soon?

Currently Sunni dominated eastern Iraq is extremely unstable. The Iraqi government can't even gather death/incident figures from Anbar because the region is almost totally out of their control.

If Assad keeps making gains, what's to stop rebels from fleeing over the border into Iraq? ISIS already controls Fallujah.

Maliki looks like he will hold on to the PM spot and continue his drift towards an ever more authoritarian and sectarian government. With the current levels of violence it is getting harder and harder to argue that Iraq isn't once again in a civil war. I think that if Assad makes gains in Syria, it may only result in a larger, region wide, sectarian conflict as Syrian fighters spill into Iraq.

It's really a nightmare for US policy. Are we really going to sell Maliki the attack helicopters he was stumping for during his last visit here and sell the Syrian rebels the air defense weapons they need to shoot them down?

The mad dash out of Iraq and inability to negotiate a SOFA back in 2011 is looking more and more haunting.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Good point making the right use of your experience. The point about the Russian Army they did not do a lots of training during that time. The Germans did some training they was in Spanish Civil War, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. As the saying go each one teach one past knowledge to new recruits also study what was the mistakes and what was learned from the mistakes. This must come from the top to the bottom. I forgot to mention this thanks.
The Germans gained experience in Spain for sure but Austria and Czechoslovakia I think not other than marching. The latter two countries were served up for them.

surpreme

The Germans gained experience in Spain for sure but Austria and Czechoslovakia I think not other than marching. The latter two countries were served up for them.
Thanks for the correction I just remember they went into these countries. After checking some pictures they were marching into the capitals.

STURM

, even if Assad is making continual gains, does this end anytime soon?
As long as the Saudis and other continue to support the rebels [the ones the West calls extremists and jihadists] the war will likely will go on irrespective of whether Assad continues to gain ground. There is little the U.S. can do to ensure the Saudis only support the non-extremist militants as the U.S. and the Saudis have slightly different objectives. Both want Assad gone but both want a slightly different kind of post-Assad Syria.

It's really a nightmare for US policy.
From the time the U.S disbanded the Iraqi army, barred former Baath people from holding key positions and above all; failed to make adequate postwar economic/political/social reconstruction plans for Iraq, in the naive belief that the country - using its oil wealth - would get back on its feet with little external help, U.S. policy was already a big mess and deeply flawed.

. The point about the Russian Army they did not do a lots of training during that time. The Germans did some training they was in Spanish Civil War, Austria, and Czechoslovakia.
The Soviets during the 1930s put a lot of thought in to how they were going to fight a future war. Unfortunately for them, the 'purges' wiped out a lot of promising and original thinkers like Tukhachevsky. The condition of the Soviet army when war broke out in June 1941 was largely a result of the purges; which also affected its performance in Finland.

Heer and Luftwaffe detachments gained valuable experience in Spain but the Germans did not do any fighting in Austria and Sudetenland/Czechoslovakia: they were unopposed.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Soviets during the 1930s put a lot of thought in to how they were going to fight a future war. Unfortunately for them, the 'purges' wiped out a lot of promising and original thinkers like Tukhachevsky. The condition of the Soviet army when war broke out in June 1941 was largely a result of the purges; which also affected its performance in Finland.

Heer and Kriegnsmarine detachments gained valuable experience in Spain but the Germans did not do any fighting in Austria and Sudetenland/Czechoslovakia: they were unopposed.
That's not really true. Tukhachevsky was a little detached from reality. And you can't purge experienced and competent officers if you never had any to begin with. Viktor Rezun (pen-name Suvorov) wrote a book called The Cleansing. He took a close look at first off who was purged in the military, and just how many military officers were purged. Then he looks at the general state of the officer corps, and how it was affected by the purges. Overall the state of Soviet officers, especially at the mid and lower levels, was abysmal. Training was poor, appointments were primarily political, and the army was more interested in impressing party leaders then in actually performing. The result was quite predictable.

surpreme

While combat experience is important, training, professionalism and culture are much more important. The Iraqis had boatloads of experience fighting the Iranians for years. And they got stomped on by much better western troops.
One thing that I should have stated the Iraqi Army did no training, did not have professionalism. To compare Iraqi Army with any other Armed Forces is not to good. My points is would training like the U.S. Army preparing, and training for war would have help Iraqi Army? Yes, it would, the Iraqis did none of these actions. One thing I will said at least the Iranian do training operation like the U.S.

STURM

Viktor Rezun (pen-name Suvorov) wrote a book called The Cleansing. He took a close look at first off who was purged in the military, and just how many military officers were purged.
I read ''Icebreaker'', ''Spetsnaz'' and ''The Liberators'' years ago. Suvorov really became well known for ''Spetsnatz''. In the book he wrote about a killing axe Spetnaz was equipped with, how most Soviet athletes were Spetsnaz operatives and how there was a wide network of Spetsnaz operatives under cover in the West. I have no idea how accurate his claims were but the book came at a right time; when there was very little information on the unit and when there was a Western audience which was hungry for news on this unit.

In the 1990's I met a Russian army Lieutenant Colonel who was the assistant defence attache at the embassy here. His opinion was that stuff contained in ''Spetsnaz'' and ''The Liberators'' was inaccurate and overhyped.

My points is would training like the U.S. Army preparing, and training for war would have help Iraqi Army? Yes, it would, the Iraqis did none of these actions.
Yo're being too simplistic. They're are many factors to take into account. For one, the Iraqi's had a different mindsetand doctrine. The are also historical and cultural factors to consider.

If you haven't read it, Kenneth Pollack's ''Arabs At War'' provides a detailed account of the Iraqi army's performance in wars/campaigns it fought against the Israeli's, Kurds and Americans. He provides reasons as to why the Iraqi army performed as it did.

Yes, it would, the Iraqis did none of these actions. One thing I will said at least the Iranian do training operation like the U.S.
Really? What kind of training?

I have no doubt that the Iraian army trains as best it can and contain many capable officers and men but I would be extremely interested in finding out how you came to the conclusion that it does ''training operations like the U.S.''....

Last edited:

surpreme

Really? What kind of training?

I have no doubt that the Iraian army trains as best it can and contain many capable officers and men but I would be extremely interested in finding out how you came to the conclusion that it does ''training operations like the U.S.''....
Okay I'm break it down. Let's remember U.S. Army train for big operation it will conduct in future. For example when I was in Army we train for urban warfare in mock village or town so we be ready if something was to happen in U.S. cities or preparing the next engagement or conflict. For the past 10 years or more the Iranian Army and the IRGC conduct war-games. I know you know what that mean when you conduct war-games. I personally was in number war-games in the U.S. Army. The operation that Iranian conducted is to test how fast they can moved from one sided of Iran to the other. I recalled numbered of war-games Iranian conduct showing there abilities to move units around.

The Iranian Army in the 70's had U.S.TRADOC manuals seniors Generals that was locked up had the knowledge in the 80's. During the Iranian Iraq War the Iranian Army conducted air assaults on the Iraqis. Some seniors officer's were release but could not use the full force due to the Iman not understanding modern warfare. The Iman were so afraid that the Army would overthrown them that they put more into IRGC and left the Iranian Army with not to much to work with. During the war Iranian Army senior officer's discussed with the Imans about keeping the Army like it was before the Iman was in power. Now the General of the Iranian Army has the green light now to conduct from the training manuals in last 10 years. That why I said that the Iranian Army conduct training similar to U.S. Army. Also you have new leaders who stress that the Iranian will conduct guerilla type war if invaded it will be something like wolf pack smaller units all around Iran fighting against invading forces.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been hearing a lot of interesting snippets about what's going on

ISIS have captured M198 155mm howitzers in Mosul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BrRkScaBs#t=198

Iraqi attack helicopters mauled an ISIS convoy a few days ago, i expect those Mi-35's are getting a good workout as well as the COIN Cessnas they've got, IIRC recently there's another 100+ Hellfire missiles heading that way now.

The Aviationist » Video shows Iraqi Mi-35 gunships attack and destroy ISIS terrorists convoy

ISIS have captured a plethora of vehicles after the capture of 47 Motorised brigade's headquaters including what looked like a number of T-55s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YzIROyQDc4#t=219

But this article seems to sum up one of the critical weaknesses of the Iraqi armed forces, they lack the proper integrated coordination of support aircraft (both helicopters and fixed wing) to call in rapid CAS or CASEVAC simply down to not having adequate numbers of either.

Iraqi military's lack of airpower enabling ISIS's advance - Threat Matrix

Looks like the need for those Apaches/F-16s + the rest of the order for Mi-35s is pretty critical now, those are ideal assets for what they need to deal with.

colay

An interesting development if it pushes through. ISIS is operating out in the open and should be easy pickings unlike previous drone strikes targeting elusive prey. Unlike airstrikes, covert attacks come without warning and should have a similar impact to that of a sniper. Specially useful in taking out high-value individuals and overall impacting the enemy's operations.

US may send in drones to Iraq to battle militants | Army & Land Forces News at DefenceTalk

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Iraq, the mess that keeps on giving. Having Saddam's Iraq and Iran counter balancing each other is becoming a fond memory. The terrorist Maddress factories in Pakistan funded by Saudi money is the problem here.

STURM

Specially useful in taking out high-value individuals and overall impacting the enemy's operations.
Yes but if the drones start inflicting 'collateral damage by mistake or due to civillians or Iraqi govenment forces being in the wrong place at the wrong time; it will be politically embarrassing.

Having Saddam's Iraq and Iran counter balancing each other is becoming a fond memory.
Well that was because a Sunni dominated Iraq under Saddam kept things that way and off course it was conveniant to the West and the Gulf Arab states. It kept the 'heretic' Iranians at bay and kept Saddam focused away from countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. The U.S. invasion led to the Shiites gaining political dominance in Iraq and to the horror of Uncle Sam; ties with Iraq and Iran are at an all time high. Iran has said that it is concerned with current happenings in Iraq and may take certain measures. The last thing Uncle Sam wants now will be for Iran to provide its Shiite brethren [read the Iraqi government] with assistance in dealing with the Sunni ISIS. But then again it may welcome 'low key' assistance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-been-bankrolled-by-saudi-arabia-9533396.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...y-of-the-countrys-new-conquerors-9533402.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middl...l-armed-fighters-iraq-201461365442813358.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-after-seizing-mosul-and-tikrit-9530899.html

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well that was because a Sunni dominated Iraq under Saddam kept things that way. The U.S. invasion led to the Shiites gaining political dominance in Iraq and to the horror of Uncle Sam; ties with Iraq and Iran are at an all time high. Iran has said that it is concerned with current happenings in Iraq and may take certain measures. The last thing Uncle Sam wants now will be for Iran to provide the Iraqi government with assistance in dealing with ISIS. But then again it may welcome 'low key' assistance.
actually, I suspect that the shift in Iranian/US relations in the prev 72hrs was driven by some common interests.

Iraq is going to end up in 3 pieces. 2 sectarian pieces and a kurdish piece
if the rebels harm the turkish captives it will be interesting to see how long it takes to pull those divisions currently squared off on the syrian border to galloping across the iraqi border

the iranians have already crossed over - and there appears to be a shift of resolve with iraqi forces coming from the sth

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Iraqi F-16s - when they arrive - would be ideal in dealing with the situation, their F-16s would be coming with targeting pods which locate, track and paints a ground target from up to 50,000 feet

https://medium.com/@warisboring/poi...-precision-guided-bombs-for-jets-dee0fc976d24

More coming out of the Mosul capture, it appears an insurgent destroyed an Iraqi M-1 Abrams by throwing a grenade in a hatch and causing ammunition inside to cook off & they destroyed multiple MRAPs using RPG-7's

https://medium.com/@warisboring/isl...-m-1-tanks-and-mraps-seize-mosul-9c58d39ac0ef