War Against ISIS

STURM

To use a cliche, Trumps means no ''boots on the ground''. No regular units engaged in large scale ops to undertake regime change or to eradicate IS. Deploying units there is a political time bomb given that Assad's troops will be fighting the same enemy as U.S. troops; not to mention that there is no clear answer as to what will be gained by deploying ''boots on the ground''.

gazzzwp

Interestingly 60 tomahawks were released and only 1 malfunction, not a shabby outcome
Different to Russia's narrative where they claim that just over half made it to the airfield. It really is time Russia stopped this policy of spreading deception at any opportunity. It happened over flight MH17, and it is happening again over the gas attack. Spread so much confusion and plant so many conspiracy theories that the whole thing becomes a fiasco.

Gas in the hands of the rebels was and never will be a credible diversion claim for Assad or Putin. Lets see how the meeting between Tillerson and Lavrov pans out today.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
To use a cliche, Trumps means no ''boots on the ground''. No regular units engaged in large scale ops to undertake regime change or to eradicate IS. Deploying units there is a political time bomb given that Assad's troops will be fighting the same enemy as U.S. troops; not to mention that there is no clear answer as to what will be gained by deploying ''boots on the ground''.
What counts as "regular units"? US HIMARS have been deployed to Syria just recently.

The size of the US base in Syrian Kurdistan is starting to look quite serious.

Развертывание армии СШРна территории Сирии: diana_mihailova

STURM

By ''regular'' I meant conventional units [whether armoured or mechanised] operating on Syrian soil rather than special forces detachments/advisers.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
By ''regular'' I meant conventional units [whether armoured or mechanised] operating on Syrian soil rather than special forces detachments/advisers.
By that definition the artillery unit in question qualifies.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Here's a link suggesting Australia should abandon its fight against ISIS and remain focused in Asia. The article suggests this would have no effect on US relations just like Canada's decision. However this is not correct. Only our CF-18s were withdrawn, tankers and P-3s remained and special forces continue to help the Kurds.

Australia Shouldn't Be Fighting ISIS | The National Interest
Another mistake
The Empire’s policy produced one thousand years of impenetrable sea defense. Britain did so by securing its shores and ensuring that no sole power dominated Europe.
Britain wasn't an empire until probably the 18th Century. With two mistakes like that, one wonders what other errors are in the article.

I don't know if this is the right section but as many might have heard by now:

BREAKING: U.S. military drops massive 21,000-pound bomb on ISIS tunnels in eastern Afghanistan; results still being analyzed - CNN
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-bomb-on-islamic-state-forces-in-afghanistan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KihgxvJcwkg

This is the largest non nuclear bomb ever dropped by US in combat.
The US military has used its GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb (MOAB), nicknamed “the mother of all bombs,” for the first time in combat. The US Air Force used it in Afghanistan to target Islamic State tunnels and personnel.
Soooo is this also a message to North Korea?

Toblerone

Banned Member
It is a message to the Taliban and the IS. The americans are getting desperate, the situation in Afghanistan is getting worse each year, the government is losing its grip and spring is the Taliban fighting season...

This now created a precedent, using WMD against terrorists is OK if no innocents were harmed, I guess.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It is a message to the Taliban and the IS. The americans are getting desperate, the situation in Afghanistan is getting worse each year, the government is losing its grip and spring is the Taliban fighting season...

This now created a precedent, using WMD against terrorists is OK if no innocents were harmed, I guess.
Since when has MOAB been a WMD its a conventional bomb period.

Well Russia..........you claim that your FOAB is bigger than the American MOAB....your move.......

You guys think Putin has enough ego to do it? I am sure they can find an ISIS tunnel as well to use it on

Toblerone

Banned Member
GBU-43/B / "Mother Of All Bombs" / Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb

It is not a FAE. It uses H6 explosive, which is used for general purpose bombs. It is also not a penetrator (in case anyone was wondering) but rather accomplishes everything via blast effect.
John was replying to me. So he was referring to the russian big stick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs

I think Putin does not need to use such a weapon to send a message, strike fear or get respect. He has achieved all these through other actions.

gazzzwp

John was replying to me. So he was referring to the russian big stick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs

I think Putin does not need to use such a weapon to send a message, strike fear or get respect. He has achieved all these through other actions.
Kudos can easily be lost. That happened with the recent gas attack and the subsequent unconvincing cover up. It has been a massive set back for the Russia, Syrian and Iran axis let that be clear.

Regardless of what Russia says openly they will be thinking through their own strategy more carefully now and 'keeping Assad in at night' for fear of provoking another US response.

From that point of view the US attack on the airbase served it's purpose.

Strannik

Kudos can easily be lost. That happened with the recent gas attack and the subsequent unconvincing cover up. It has been a massive set back for the Russia, Syrian and Iran axis let that be clear.
Are you referring to this purely staged provocation executed by al-nusra and ordered by .. we all suspect who?

Regardless of what Russia says openly they will be thinking through their own strategy more carefully now and 'keeping Assad in at night' for fear of provoking another US response.
You cannot be serious, why would they fear another US response? Especially when last time US wasted 60 tomahawk for 6 derelict aeroplane unable to fly even when they had to fly only to escape.

From that point of view the US attack on the airbase served it's purpose.
I relay curios to learn, what was it's purpose on the first place? Because at the moment it looks absolutely pointless. May be, after all, Tramp seek to impress comrade Ce? He definitely fail to impress Russians.

gazzzwp

Are you referring to this purely staged provocation executed by al-nusra and ordered by .. we all suspect who?
So just at the precise moment the Syrian's bomb a rebel position, a 'staged' chemical attack occurs? Sorry that is utterly non-credible. The idea that the rebels even had Sarin gas is also non-credible. Instead of trying to rally the international community to conduct an investigation then why does Russia not undertake it alone? That is of course assuming that they are convinced that they have a real case.

You cannot be serious, why would they fear another US response? Especially when last time US wasted 60 tomahawk for 6 derelict aeroplane unable to fly even when they had to fly only to escape.
If the US or for that matter a NATO operation goes wrong, we tend to know about it because we have free press and to a large extent an openness. A good example was the recent Trident missile fired by a UK sub that failed. We knew about it. If only 6 planes were destroyed we would know about it. Also the Russians would not have been so anxious if the impact had been that insignificant. So again I disagree with your bias.

I relay curios to learn, what was it's purpose on the first place? Because at the moment it looks absolutely pointless. May be, after all, Tramp seek to impress comrade Ce? He definitely fail to impress Russians.
Then why have the Russians complained so vehemently? Think about it. The purpose was to make a point about war crimes. That point has been made.