Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vietnamese Special Forces Organization and Equipment

Discussion in 'Army & Security Forces' started by zoom577, Mar 6, 2018.

Share This Page

1. zoom577

zoom577 New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Hey all,

I've recently been researching the PAVN and trying to put together a rough outline of its organization and equipment. I've found that most units (especially motorized/mechanized) draw heavily from Soviet formations of the 1980s.

Where I am stuck now is with the PAVN special forces. I understand that SF is under its own separate command from the rest of the army, and this command is comprised of an HQ, an SF school, and 5 SF brigades (1st, 5th, 113th, 198th, and 429th). The special forces branch is comprised of 10,000 people in total, meaning that each brigade must be comprised of 1000-2000 troops each or roughly equal to a Russian/Soviet Spetsnaz brigade. According to Vietnamese Wikipedia (where I've found most of this information) the 5th (Naval Commando) Brigade is comprised of 4 "teams" and 5 companies. From what I've gleaned off of official images of these units a team is about 10-13 guys, meaning each company has only about 40-50 operators which seems like a really low number given a PAVN brigade has around 3500 troops. Does anyone here know where I can get more information on this?