US Navy News and updates

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently the cause of the disastrous fire aboard the Bohomme Richard was arson and a sailor has been formally accused of being the arsonist. There's nothing worse than an arsonist aboard a ship.

The investigation on the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard not only has a suspect (Seaman Ryan Sawyer Mays) — the crime scene was not only tampered with during the inquiry, there was possible equipment sabotage. I am shocked at the new details that emerge.

Last edited:

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The investigation on the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard not only has a suspect (Seaman Ryan Sawyer Mays) — the crime scene was not only tampered with during the inquiry, there was possible equipment sabotage. I am shocked at the new details that emerge.
A very graphic example of just how much damage a trusted insider can do. If it is indeed proven that this sailor was responsible for starting the fire, it will be interesting to see what his motivation was and if it's linked to him being medically failed off the SEAL course.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier in DC for Sea Air Space 2021. Several interesting concept being shown. However I'm interested with LAW (Light Amphibious Warship). Looking from Austal LAW concept for example, it is in my opinion basically is 21st century LST.

I know there have been talk on LAW being discussed before, but just not realise (at least for me) that USN/USMC serious to revive LST like concept again. I mean with current configuration of USN/USMC amphibious flotila of LHD, LSD, LPD, where LAW will fit ?

120m and 4500 dwt is not really small for most Navy. It's about slightly larger of current generation of Indonesian LST for example. Just wondering where this LAW concept will be put on USN Amphib operation ?

I sense it will be used on lighter opposition amohibious operation, since it's still equiped with self defense armament. Still why bring back the concept considering USN current established Amphib configuration ?

FormerDirtDart

Xavier in DC for Sea Air Space 2021. Several interesting concept being shown. However I'm interested with LAW (Light Amphibious Warship). Looking from Austal LAW concept for example, it is in my opinion basically is 21st century LST.

I know there have been talk on LAW being discussed before, but just not realise (at least for me) that USN/USMC serious to revive LST like concept again. I mean with current configuration of USN/USMC amphibious flotila of LHD, LSD, LPD, where LAW will fit ?

120m and 4500 dwt is not really small for most Navy. It's about slightly larger of current generation of Indonesian LST for example. Just wondering where this LAW concept will be put on USN Amphib operation ?

I sense it will be used on lighter opposition amohibious operation, since it's still equiped with self defense armament. Still why bring back the concept considering USN current established Amphib configuration ?
Here, this should get you better up to speed on the USN/USMC LAW concept
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R46374.pdf

Also of note, Halter Marine briefly discusses their LAW offering at around the 10:45 mark. Basing it off of the US Army's Benson-class LSV. Also interesting mentioned HM is currently building two LSV-based vessels for someone, and in discussion to build two more.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here, this should get you better up to speed on the USN/USMC LAW concept
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R46374.pdf

Also of note, Halter Marine briefly discusses their LAW offering at around the 10:45 mark. Basing it off of the US Army's Benson-class LSV. Also interesting mentioned HM is currently building two LSV-based vessels for someone, and in discussion to build two more.
Thanks for that informative link.
There seems to be a fixation with SLVs (Stern Landing Vessels) which is risky IMHO as any beach gradient less than say 1:8 (and I’m guessing) will prove challenging.
The advantage of the hull form is speed but the speed requirement listed is only 14kts which is only slightly more than traditional LCS such as the Army LSVs.
The most practical proposal was the transfer of LSVs to the USMC which would provide a proven platform to validate the LAW concept and give time to finesse a more suitable design before committing to full scale production.

FormerDirtDart

Thanks for that informative link.
There seems to be a fixation with SLVs (Stern Landing Vessels) which is risky IMHO as any beach gradient less than say 1:8 (and I’m guessing) will prove challenging.
The advantage of the hull form is speed but the speed requirement listed is only 14kts which is only slightly more than traditional LCS such as the Army LSVs.
The most practical proposal was the transfer of LSVs to the USMC which would provide a proven platform to validate the LAW concept and give time to finesse a more suitable design before committing to full scale production.
Yes, the USMC has certainly broadcast their interest in the SLV. But it remains to be seen if the design is even in the development/design study process.
The US Army's LSV fail to meet the desired transit speeds the USN/USMC are looking for. So, that's one thing Halter Marine will obviously need to bolster in their LSV based LAW bid. Though, it would be logical to at least use the Army LSV and and Runnymede-class LCU as surrogates for concept development exercises.
As I noted in the RAN thread back in late June, when it was announced who had been awarded LAW design contracts (Austal USA, Fincantieri, VT Halter Marine, Bollinger, TAI Engineers), it will be interesting to see if Seatransport has partnered up with any of the selectees. We now know Austal USA and Halter Marine did not. Bollinger has a history of building Damen design based vessels for the USCG, so it's reasonable they might turn to them for design assistance.
That essentially leaves Fincantieri and TAI Engineers as the big question marks. I can't find any history of Fincantieri building LST type ships, and the only thing I know about TAI is that they did design work on the USCG's Polar Security Cutter.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
this should get you better up to speed on the USN/USMC LAW
It's interesting that USN/USMC put the official need for transit speed around 14-15 knts. That's below the transit speed of current Amphibious Task Force.

I believe USN ditch LST or any direct beaching concept from Amphibious assets because of the speed requirements that already being put on the present Amphibious Task Force. The concept seems put this LAW to operate separately from other LHA/LHD, LPD and LSD. More for inter islands concept with limited infrastructure. Something that archipelago nation like Indonesia still stick to LST/LCU (asside they're also less costlier).

However reading the link also I sense USN decision to diversify their assets on smaller and less costlier vessels as part of the reasons. I sense though this LAW will be operating with other smaller assets that being talk of Frigates and Corvettes size warships as their coverage.

FormerDirtDart

It's interesting that USN/USMC put the official need for transit speed around 14-15 knts. That's below the transit speed of current Amphibious Task Force.

I believe USN ditch LST or any direct beaching concept from Amphibious assets because of the speed requirements that already being put on the present Amphibious Task Force. The concept seems put this LAW to operate separately from other LHA/LHD, LPD and LSD. More for inter islands concept with limited infrastructure. Something that archipelago nation like Indonesia still stick to LST/LCU (asside they're also less costlier).

However reading the link also I sense USN decision to diversify their assets on smaller and less costlier vessels as part of the reasons. I sense though this LAW will be operating with other smaller assets that being talk of Frigates and Corvettes size warships as their coverage.
First, I do not expect the LAW to normally do 6-month "floats" with the ARGs. I expect they will be forward deployed and link up with the ARG when operationally required. I don't think anyone wants to put those flat bottomed boats at sea for long periods of time. Would not be an easy ride for those aboard. I also expect they will link up empty, and vehicles and personnel to be transported will be transloaded onto the LAW from the ARG's other vessels, when required. Essentially a continuation of the "sea basing" concept that brought the USN the Expeditionary Transfer Dock.
It should be noted that the USN will be reducing capacity to actually put equipment ashore over the beach in the near future without the LAW. First they lost the two well decks from the first two America-class LHD. Subsequent America's will have a reduce capacity over the Wasp-class (3 LCAC or 2 LCU). The upcoming San Antonio-class based LX(R), carrying 2 LCAC or 1 LCU, will first replace the Whidbey Island-class LSD, capable of carrying 4 LCAC or 3 LCU, or a mixture of the two.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A memorial was dedicated on 6/8/2021 to the USN submarine USS Bullhead at the Western Australian Maritime Museum in Fremantle WA, Australia. The Bullhead was sunk by Japanese aircraft on 6/8/1945, the same day that the first nuclear weapon was.

O Father, hear our prayer to Thee
For your humble servants, beneath the sea
In the depths of oceans, as oft they stray
So far from night, so far from day
We would ask your Guiding Light to glow
To make their journey safe below
Please oft times grant them patient mind
Then ‘ere the darkness won’t them blind
They seek thy protection from the deep,
Please grant them peace when ‘ere they sleep
Of their homes and loved ones far away
We ask you care for them each day
Until they surface once again
To drink the air and feel the rain
We ask your guiding hand to show
A safe progression sure and slow
Dear Lord, please hear our prayer to thee
For your humble servants beneath the sea.
There are no flowers on a sailor’s grave
No lilies on an ocean wave
The only tribute is the seagulls sweep
And the tears upon a loved one’s cheek
Fear not for those who go down to the sea in ships
For as sunset draws near and dawn breaks afar
We remember those who have crossed the bar

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An informative article on naval warfare in a speech by the father of Aegis, Admiral Meyer, made a couple of decades ago with comments by one of the attendees.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier Edition for 2nd day in See Air Space 2021. I like the presentation on MQ-9B. Also confirmation from General Atomics on their involvement for French next gen Carrier PANG.

Terran

As with the last video it’s actually the stuff not mentioned in the caption I find more interesting. In

it was the Hospital ship. Mercy is nice but just two for what the USN has which are basically multiple Navies never quite made a lot of sense. Don’t get me wrong tremendous capacity, but with high demand both humanitarian and potential military. Plus being potentially derivative of an existing comparatively low cost hull type. Who knows if it gets picked up perhaps even foreign interest as being an unarmed hospital ship should have reduced security concerns and potential demand given increased interest in more capabilities for Navies.

In this one it was the CMV22 and JPALS. I mean MQ9B is neat and EMALS is coming along. But CMV22 and JPALS are seriously changing carrier aviation. First unlike the existing C2 Greyhound, CMV22 is actually multi role. Able to operate not just from base to carrier but base to Gator carrier, gator to carrier and other expeditionary large hulls as well as being able to really joint. Back in 2011, the French Navy carrier Charles De Gaulle ran into need of a logistics assist during NATO intervention in Libya. The borrowed two C2s from the USN. The R91 is capable of operating the C2 due to being CATBAR like American carriers. Yet it is the sole example outside of the USN of an active CATBAR flat top. The Bulk of allied carriers are S/VTOL if a similar situation happened but with the UK, Japan, Spain or Italy C2 Greyhound would be useless. CMV22 on the other hand has been qualified on most of them.
Next JPALS means that a lot of the hardest part of carrier aviation is finally modernized farther would make unmanned ops realistic.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Xavier took a long time getting day 2 up. He put day 1 up a week ago. Wonder what problems he has been having.

swerve

Super Moderator
As with the last video it’s actually the stuff not mentioned in the caption I find more interesting. In
it was the Hospital ship. Mercy is nice but just two for what the USN has which are basically multiple Navies never quite made a lot of sense. Don’t get me wrong tremendous capacity, but with high demand both humanitarian and potential military. Plus being potentially derivative of an existing comparatively low cost hull type. Who knows if it gets picked up perhaps even foreign interest as being an unarmed hospital ship should have reduced security concerns and potential demand given increased interest in more capabilities for Navies.
Indeed. Great to have in the right circumstances, but can only be in two places, & as Surgeon Vice-Admiral Sir Joseph Chambers (RN medical director 1923-27) pointed out 100 years ago, based on RN experience, having a few such big ships will often mean they're in the wrong place, can't necessarily get where they're needed, may be underused while there's a need elsewhere, etc.
An Admiral From 100 Years Ago Warned Against Big Hospital Ships

As reported by our old friend Xavier, Indonesia is using adapted LPDs as hospital ships, which seems like a good idea, & building new LPD-based ones from scratch - Indonesia's PT PAL Launches BRS Hospital Ship for TNI AL - Naval News. Having packaged facilities in store to put in flex decks, vehicle decks of amphibs, etc. is a common solution to a need to increase capacity, but while great for disaster relief the scope for conflict with other needs in wartime should be obvious.

Terran

The USN seems to have been shopped three options to replace the Comfort class. First being a modular hospital dropped on the Expeditionary Transfer Dock
Second was a derivative of the San Antonio class LPD.
Third was well Austals Spearhead class based design.
all three have advantages and disadvantages.
All three loose the shear volume of medical capacity. Mercy and Comfort can each accommodate 1000 patients.
The modular hospital idea runs into the fact the Navy would loose an ESD, Reduced payload reduced capabilities. As Mercy and Comfort are basically full hospitals. Only way I think it could really work is if the Navy chose to basically build two of the ESD as Dedicated Hospital ships but that basically would be Comfort and Mercy 2.0
LPD based hull has the same issues except more potential numbers. It’s generally faster than the ESD but would be a snails pace vs the Spearhead.
The Spearhead derivative would be the slowest and least capacity but advantageous of potential numbers, draft and speed. Able to potentially be forward deployed.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Sea Air Space 2021and a look at the Constellation-class display. Interesting new bow design so the ship can operate up to sea state 8 and why no bow mounted sonar fitted. Lockheed Martin offerings to Greece and the Saudi's as well.
Was just watching that, interesting requirement with SS8 and no bow mounted sonar ! Also noted was the NSM set up midships with 4 x quad packs, still think this has future implications for the RAN and ties in with upcoming NASAMS II and other future requirements.

Cheers

76mmGuns

It's the annual USN exercise, and they sunk a frigate. What I found interesting was how they did it. They launched 2 NSM's. One from a C-130, and one from a LCAC.

"The sinking of the ship involved the navy-marine expeditionary ship interdiction system. During the drill, two naval strike missiles were launched, one by C-130 and the second by LCAC hovercraft. "

I didn't know NSM's could be launched by transport planes or LCAC's. Must be part of the "distributed lehtality" the USN talks about.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

It's the annual USN exercise, and they sunk a frigate. What I found interesting was how they did it. They launched 2 NSM's. One from a C-130, and one from a LCAC.

"The sinking of the ship involved the navy-marine expeditionary ship interdiction system. During the drill, two naval strike missiles were launched, one by C-130 and the second by LCAC hovercraft. "

I didn't know NSM's could be launched by transport planes or LCAC's. Must be part of the "distributed lehtality" the USN talks about.
Can you provide another reference for the C130 and LCAC apart from this. I looked for this as I was, frankly, sceptical. I note that NSM's were fired by the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS) (which could be deployed by a LCAC or C130) but noting to suggest they fired the missiles as this article suggests.

The Commander Pacific Fleet caption for the same image was:

A Naval Strike Missile is launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility Barking Sands during the sinking exercise

U.S. forces conduct sinking exercise in Pacific | Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (navy.mil)

The drive have no mention of C130 or LCAC either but reflect that NMESIS fired a missile with the video showing elements of NMESIS being unloaded from a LCAC.

Watch The Ex-USS Ingraham Frigate Get Its Back Broken By A Torpedo (thedrive.com)

Not sure Navy today got this right.

Last edited:

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Sea Air Space 2021and a look at the Constellation-class display. Interesting new bow design so the ship can operate up to sea state 8 and why no bow mounted sonar fitted. Lockheed Martin offerings to Greece and the Saudi's as well.
Interesting shape to the fore foot; wouldn't have thought that would add to the seakeeping in any meaningful way and would seem to me to be likely to make it difficult to hold a course in a quartering sea. But then I'm no naval architect and i'm sure they will have done tank testing with that in mind.