US Navy News and updates

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The USN might still be able to get more out of the existing Arleigh Burkes with optimizing its AEGIS system for missile defense. I am not sure if and how much the navy needs another fighter, but attack subs would seem more effective/optimized for countering surface threats due to stealth.
I agree, optimizing ABs minimizes the urgency of DD(x). When times are better, utilizing existing propulsion and sensor tech from Zumwalt should make for a reasonable quick replacement. Still think the NGAD fighter versus SSN(x) choice will be a real internal USN fight as both are critical to their supporters and more importantly national security.

SolarWind

I agree, optimizing ABs minimizes the urgency of DD(x). When times are better, utilizing existing propulsion and sensor tech from Zumwalt should make for a reasonable quick replacement. Still think the NGAD fighter versus SSN(x) choice will be a real internal USN fight as both are critical to their supporters and more importantly national security.
I do not know whether this is still the case, but if the Navy is re-evaluating the displacement size of our carriers and the size of our carrier fleet, it might also be a good idea to consider what kind of fighter the Navy will need in the future. Whereas the carriers we have now had the Super Hornets and F-35Cs specifically designed and built for them, the smaller carriers can use F-35Bs.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I do not know whether this is still the case, but if the Navy is re-evaluating the displacement size of our carriers and the size of our carrier fleet, it might also be a good idea to consider what kind of fighter the Navy will need in the future. Whereas the carriers we have now had the Super Hornets and F-35Cs specifically designed and built for them, the smaller carriers can use F-35Bs.

The carrier size is another huge debate that would further complicate the choice between NGAD or SSN(x). Smaller non CATOBAR carriers are range limited and even more vulnerable than Fords. A new 50-70k ton CATOBAR carrier, really don’t think the assumed cost savings will be realized.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A report has been released which states that 94% of sailors surveyed within the surface warfare fleet, said that the damaging operation failures were due to navy culture and leadership problems. This was not just leadership within ships, but right up the food chain to CNO.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Did they survey people who are still on active duty? When I read, well skimmed, the USNI article and its attachments I thought it said recently paid off people. That certainly wouldn't invalidate the comments though, and indeed they could probably be applied to other Navies and probably western Defence Forces in general

vonnoobie

Really not all that surprising. Heavy on the deployment's and suffering for decades from poor maintenance leaves personal exhausted with little time to do anything effectively.

Probably worse for the USN then other western navies as for the last half century at various times they have been chasing a larger navy while failing to address the shipyard's ability to maintain and support them not to mention the solution often is to just keep ships longer meaning even more maintenance needed for a system that can't handle it.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
On a more positive note, the USN has tested an anti drone swarm device aboard the M80 Stiletto.
This relatively small device is produced by an Australian company “Drone Shield” and the test results according to this report The Navy's Exotic M80 Stiletto Test Ship Defeated Drone Swarms At Sea During Trials we’re very successful.
The device is small enough for installation on various land vehicles as shown in one of the pics and would be an excellent addition to the battle space.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A report in the US military about its current state, I went hunting for it when I read this. just started reading it so I dont have a comment just yet

US Navy ‘barely fit for purpose’ (msn.com)

A REPORT ON THE FIGHTING CULTURE OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY SURFACE FLEET
A Report On The Fighting Culture of The United States Navy Surface Fleet | United States Navy | Navies (scribd.com)
It's not about the US military in general, but specifically about the USN surface fleet. It's a bit of a long draw to imply that it applies to the other 5 services. I would also caution about suggesting it applies to other branches of the USN at the moment. C.F my post #3,384 above. Note that I do sheet home blame right up to the CNO because they let the surface force warfighting qualities deteriorate happen on their watch and didn't rectify it.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
(Rant mode on)

So, do you think that the admin burden on the other parts of the Navy, much less the other services, is less? Or that the pressure to manage cultural values to a more standardised community view is less? Or the push to ensure a workforce profile in line with the community profile is less? Or the pressure to declare forces ready for operations? Or to ensure, not minimisation of risk but zero risk? Those things are certainly not unique to the surface Navy; and that is what better than half that report is about.

They appear, regrettably, to be a function of a Western society which seems to think war should be fought like a video game without real casualties, that somehow believes the West has something to be ashamed of, that the world is a nice place and that all one needs to do to achieve your aims is to defer to everbody else’s allegedly legitimate desires (pace, the Workd War 2 generation) and nobody will ever take advantage of you, that providing equal opportunity to all is more important than ensuring that you are always capable of winning, and that is unwilling to accept that humans are fallible and that therefore mistakes can and will be made even by the best people you have- and that doesn’t mean should immediately sack them. Unless of course they’re politicians and then it doesn’t matter, because, after all, they are only human.

And to this observer (a.k.a. old fogey) at least those attitudes seem to be widespread in the (real) democracies at the moment (most of Europe, Canada, NZ, Australia, the UK and not least the USA) possibly to our ultimate cost.

Does the emperor have new clothes?

(mode off)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@spoz I am only commenting upon what was in the report. It may well be that what you say is true and it may not be. However the report only looked at the USN surface fleet, and we have been aware of problems within their surface community. I would argue that we don't see the same problems in the other FVEY navies WRT to bridge officers seamanship abilities.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Oh, accepted. The problem I have is that people have focussed on the physical problems, while not following the other threads that are there. I’d point to the recent comments about morning teas in the ADF as suggestions that while we don’t have the accidents we do have the same trends going on - and the lack of accidents may be purely down to our smaller size and therefore decreased number of opportunities. I hope and believe it’s because we are a competent professional Navy but sometimes I wonder.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Oh, accepted. The problem I have is that people have focussed on the physical problems, while not following the other threads that are there. I’d point to the recent comments about morning teas in the ADF as suggestions that while we don’t have the accidents we do have the same trends going on - and the lack of accidents may be purely down to our smaller size and therefore decreased number of opportunities. I hope and believe it’s because we are a competent professional Navy but sometimes I wonder.
No probs, but it is interesting that in the 18/7/21 edition of the Wall Street Journal ,in a letter, former SECNAV John Lehmann ripped into the USN, Congress, and previous POTUSs for the current poor state of the USN across the board. He didn't hold either.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
(Rant mode on)

So, do you think that the admin burden on the other parts of the Navy, much less the other services, is less? Or that the pressure to manage cultural values to a more standardised community view is less? Or the push to ensure a workforce profile in line with the community profile is less? Or the pressure to declare forces ready for operations? Or to ensure, not minimisation of risk but zero risk? Those things are certainly not unique to the surface Navy; and that is what better than half that report is about.(mode off)
Jumping in a little bit late to this, but I will say that one issue is that the Surface Navy has had more uh shall we say visible issues than the rest of the Navy, thus the report is directed at the Surface Navy.

But I do agree that by no means is this problem limited to the Surface Element of the US Navy.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A new no notice fire inspection team has been formed to monitor shipyard repair facilities for the Pacific fleet. A team for the Atlantic fleet is being formed. A wise move after losing a multi billion dollar ship although BHR was an arson event.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
A new no notice fire inspection team has been formed to monitor shipyard repair facilities for the Pacific fleet. A team for the Atlantic fleet is being formed. A wise move after losing a multi billion dollar ship although BHR was an arson event.

Oh, good, we will waste money on inspection teams rather than resources to fix it. Good job guys, Tide Pods all around.

FormerDirtDart

Austal USA showing off their US Navy/USMC LST (sorry) LAW offering
Model does not appear to have a stern ramp
No particular specs being offered up in the Naval News article. So, as a reminder I've included a post from two months ago where I listed the program requirements.

Well, we know the USMC has a serious woody for the STS' Stern Landing Vessel concept. I wonder who amongst the selected companies has teamed up with STS.
There is a bit of leeway in the program requirements.

Navy Light Amphibious Warship (LAW) Program: Background and Issues for Congress - Congressional Research Service (Updated Jun 7, 2021)

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Smarter every day has a big thing on submarines.
The latest episode about artic operations is very interesting, as is the whole series. I know there was much discussion in the Canadian naval thread about ice submarine ops, and this one goes through the whole operation to dive and surface

They even do the string line across the hull.. However, its unimpressive, nothing like down periscope..