US Navy News and updates

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

USN P-8A Poisedon off shoot the Runway in Hawai and ditch in the water off the ramp. All 9 passanger safely make to shore.

Add: Video on Navy's try to salvage the P-8A.

As one RNZAF veteran (not me) put it: "They are testing the new Mk-1A Eyeball sub surface detection system."

Meriv90

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Astonishing that the WH would even consider a reduction in the SSN build rate, the most important naval asset IMHO.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Constellation got delayed by a year.
It reflects over US naval shipbuilding problems with lack of new apprentices etc., signing on. Skilled blue collar careers aren't seen as desirable anymore with university educations being far more valued. Problem is that university degree careers are becoming harder to get and generally aren't as well paid as tradies (tradesmen) jobs. That's why I have been advising my grandkids to forget uni (university) and take up apprenticeships.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It reflects over US naval shipbuilding problems with lack of new apprentices etc., signing on. Skilled blue collar careers aren't seen as desirable anymore with university educations being far more valued. Problem is that university degree careers are becoming harder to get and generally aren't as well paid as tradies (tradesmen) jobs. That's why I have been advising my grandkids to forget uni (university) and take up apprenticeships.
Up to a point.

You can earn more as an apprentice than a junior in a profession, and definately more as a qualified tradesperson. The trouble is tradies top out long before professionals do.

A decade ago, I was working at principle technical officer / technical manager level, and seen as future technical director, now almost every role at senior technical officer or above requires a four year engineering degree, irrespective of whether you have post trade or even post grad studies to your name.

The US it's worse, you want to get off the tools you need a base engineering degree and a master's, from the right schools.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

It's a lot to read but very informative.

Interestingly the article appears to indicate that the baseline Constellation has a tactical length, as opposed to a strategic length VLS, I wasn't aware of this.

To be honest, it's starting to look like the USN would have been better off with a Type 26 derivative. At least that would have been able to be easily upgraded with additional VLS, and would have had strike length from the get go.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

It's a lot to read but very informative.

Interestingly the article appears to indicate that the baseline Constellation has a tactical length, as opposed to a strategic length VLS, I wasn't aware of this.

To be honest, it's starting to look like the USN would have been better off with a Type 26 derivative. At least that would have been able to be easily upgraded with additional VLS, and would have had strike length from the get go.
I would imagine the supply chain for the T26 might have been able come up with better pricing with an additional 20 ships.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is interesting. SM6 seems to be more doable for them, maybe more of a weight limitation?

I would imagine the supply chain for the T26 might have been able come up with better pricing with an additional 20 ships.
Not just pricing, the whole project would have been elevated to higher levels of priority, with greater funding on things like planning, benchmarking, procurement, etc.

The US is big, their build capacity is huge. They built two types of LCS. For a frigate, it maybe worthwhile to have two types of frigate. Taking an off the shelf product may mean in 5-10 years time, they are building type 26 ships. I wonder.. Particularly if things keep going the way they are going.

Part of this is also to put in new ideas and concepts into US navy thinking about design, manning, performance etc.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Note the NSM launchers aft of the 57mm gun.
"USS Mobile prepares to take station during a multilateral maritime cooperative activity between Australia, the United States, Japan and the Philippines off the coast within the Philippines Exclusive Economic Zone." Image Source : ADF Image Library
20240407ran8535379_0039.jpg