Turkish Air Force - Türk Hava Kuvvetleri

musti

AIR FORCES COMMAND

Total Personnel: 60.000
Reserves: 65.000

Structure:

Four main commands: 1st Tactical Air Force Command (HQ Eskisehir), 2nd Tactical Air Force Command (HQ Diyarbakir), Air Training Command, Air Logistics Command.

TACTICAL FIGHTER AIRCRAFT

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

F 16C/D Fighting Falcon Block 50 - 76 - Peace Onyx II program, assembled in Turkey.

F 16C/D Fighting Falcon Block 40 - 104 - Peace Onyx I program, assembled in Turkey.

F 16C/D Fighting Falcon Block 30 - 37 - Peace Onyx I program, assembled in Turkey.

F 4E 2020 Terminator - 52 - Upgraded jointly with Israel

F 4E Phantom - 84 - Peace Diamond I-II and USAF reserves.

RF 4E Phantom - 18 - Ex-German Air Force and Peace Diamond II program

F 5A/B 2000 - 30 - +18 under upgrade process which is to be completed by June 2006

NF 5A/B Freedom Fighter - 9 - Turkish Stars.

TOTAL: 410

Note: Turkey officially joined, as a Level 3 partner, the System Development and Demonstration Phase of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) project. Unconfirmed number of fighters planned to be purchased after 2010 is 150.

TRANSPORT/TANKER PLANES

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

C 130E Hercules - 7 - to be upgraded

C 130B Hercules - 5 - With ELINT/SIGINT equipment

C 160T Transall - 16 - Ex-German Air Force

CN 235-100M - 50 - 3 VIP/16 EW, built in Turkey

KC 135R-CRAG Stratotanker - 7

TOTAL (transport only): 78

Note: Turkey, as a partner of the FLA Project, will manufacture parts for and receive 10 A-400M aircraft from 2008 to 2012.

EARLY WARNING AIRCRAFT

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

B-737-700/MESA THEIK - 0 - 4 will be delivered by 2007 under the Peace Eagle program + 2 optional

HELICOPTERS

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

UH1H Iroquois - 22 - 6 SAR+4 EH+12 utility.

AS532UL Cougar Mk1 - 20 - 14 SAR+6 CSAR copters. Assembled in Turkey.

TOTAL: 12 Utility + 20 SAR + 6 CSAR + 4 Electronic Warfare

TRAINING AIRCRAFT

TYPE-NUMBER

T38A Talon - 69
T37B/C Tweety Bird - 53
SF260D - 38
T41D Mescalero - 30

MISSILES

TYPE-NUMBER-REMARKS

Air-Air

AIM 120A/B AMRAAM - 314 - 176 AIM 120A + 138 AIM 120B

AIM 7E Sparrow - 367

AIM 9M Sidewinder - 500

AIM 9L/I Sidewinder - 640

AIM 9S Sidewinder - 310 - From AIM-9M without IRCCM

AIM 9P3 Sidewinder - 750+

Air-Ground

AGM 88B HARM - 96

Popeye I - 100 - 110 km. range

Delilah Cruise Missile - 0 - There is a co-production agreement with Israel and expected date of delivery of the first batch of 50 units is 2005. Also known as Delilah II, the missile has a 400+km range and it evolved from the Delilah I UAV as a result of Israeli-Chinese cooperation

AGM 65G1 Maverick IIR - 274

AGM 65A/B Maverick - 550

GBU 8/B HOBOS - 200

Paveway I-II - 1.200

BLU 107 Durandal - 523

AN/AVQ 23 Pave Spike - ?

AN/AAQ 14 LANTIRN - 40

AN/AAQ 13 LANTIRN - 40

Litening III - ? - 20 under delivery, +20 optional.

Surface-Air

I-Hawk PIP III (1X3) launchers - 0 - 48 launchers to be delivered in the course of 2005. 8 batteries with 6 launchers and 3 missiles each

MIM14B Nike Hercules - 72 - 8 squadrons each having 3 batteries and 9 launchers

Rapier FSB1 launchers - 86 - 85 launchers updated to Rapier B1X level. 840 additional Mk2B missiles under delivery. More B1X launchers under delivery. Launchers are accompanied by 40 DN181 Blindfire radars

ZIPKIN KMS (1X4 FIM-92 Stinger) - ? - Stinger mounted on 4X4 armored vehicles. Total demand for 32 will be met by 2006.

FIM92C Stinger RMP - 108 - Being manufactured in Turkey

Note: Turkey is interested in the Arrow II anti-ballistic missile. US has already approved, including the Green Pine radar, its sell to Turkey. However, the purchase is pending due to financial difficulties Turkey is facing.

Future Projects:

AIR FORCES COMMAND

<LI>F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: Turkey officially joined, as a Level 3 partner, the System Development and Demonstration Phase of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) project. Unconfirmed number of fighters planned to be purchased after 2010 is 150. Status: On track.</FONT> :D

<LI>F-16 CCIP Modernization: A total of 117 F-16 fighters are planned to undergo a comprehensive CCIP modernization by the US. The program would also include the procurement of new weapons platforms such as the AIM-120C5 AMRAAM and AIM-9X Sidewinder.Status: Contract signed in April 2005. Estimated completion date is 2012. There are plans to upgrade the remaining 100 aircrafts upon completion of the first batch of 117.

<LI>SPEWS-II: Production in Turkey of ALQ-178V5 Radar Warning Receivers and RF Jammers and their installation in the 60 F-16C Block 50 fighters. Status: Contract was signed with delay and went into effect on 13 November 2003. Project was initially scheduled to be completed by 2007. However, it is now planned to integrate this project to the above-mentioned F-16 CCIP modernization program.

<LI>Terminator II: A total of 48 F-4E fighters are planned to undergo a comprehensive modernization in collaboration with Israel. The program would also include the procurement of new weapons platforms such as the Python-5 and Derby.Status: Contracted.

<LI>Delilah II Cruise Missile: An order of 50 units was placed in the last quarter of 2004. Status: On track.

<LI>A400 Future's Large Aircraft: Turkey, as a partner of the FLA Project, will manufacture parts for and receive 10 A-400M aircraft from 2008 to 2012. Status: On track.

<LI>Early Warning Aircraft B-737-700/MESA THEIK: 4 will be delivered by 2007 + 2 optional. Status: On track, contract signed.

<LI>I-Hawk PIP-III Surface-to-Air Missile: 48 launchers to be delivered in the course of 2005. 8 batteries with 6 launchers and 3 missiles each. Status: On track.

<LI>ZIPKIN KMS (1X4 FIM-92 Stinger) SAM: Locally manufactured Stinger mounted on 4X4 armored vehicles. Total demand for 32 will be met by 2006. Status: On track.

Arrow II Anti-ballistic Missile: Turkey is interested in the Arrow II anti-ballistic missile. US has already approved, including the Green Pine radar, its sell to Turkey. Some sources state that Turkey has invested US$100 million for its development.Status: Unknown. Under negotiation with Israel.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Sorry to revive this old thread, but seems this's the only dedicated thread for Turkish AF.
If this missile is successful, then Turkish Roketsan really moving ahead. This can also be used as Medium SAM.
Say what you want on Erdogan, but he seems shown much progress with Turkey Military Industrial Complex.

Sandhi Yudha

Sorry to revive this old thread, but seems this's the only dedicated thread for Turkish AF.
If this missile is successful, then Turkish Roketsan really moving ahead. This can also be used as Medium SAM.
Say what you want on Erdogan, but he seems shown much progress with Turkey Military Industrial Complex.
If these new missiles prove to be successful during tests, then they have a good export potential. Also as a SAM-version like the VL MICA and NASAMS like you said.

Sandhi Yudha

1.400 shaft horsepower for a first turboshaft engine is quite impressive. Big chance that they will also use this engine or a derivative for the T-129, to make export easier.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
1.400 shaft horsepower for a first turboshaft engine is quite impressive. Big chance that they will also use this engine or a derivative for the T-129, to make export easier.
Like the PRC have found it's easier said than done. The article talks about testing engines for the TFX, which implies indigenous engines for the TFX, but they may have trouble developing engines with the required thrust for the required duration. Do they have the required metallurgy skills, experience and materials? I doubt it and I would place the PRC well ahead in that technology.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Do they have the required metallurgy skills, experience and materials? I doubt it and I would place the PRC well ahead in that technology.
If we see Turkish media and Forums, they'll say that one of contingency plan is to work with Ukraine. There's tendencies of Turkey-Ukraine increasingly co-op in Aerospace Tech and Turbine Propulsion. Ukraine now will take anyone except Russia that will invest or co-op with them on defense sectors.

I do agree PRC will progress faster, and that they already shown with less reliance toward Russian tech partnership. However I don't want to underestimate Turkey, they've shown some ingenuity on developing their Defense Industry. How far they're going to progress on aero engine will have to be seen.

On geopolitical side, I do believe US and West need to think more throughly on whether this moves will enlarge Erdogan Opposition (which they're hoping) or the other way around.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If we see Turkish media and Forums, they'll say that one of contingency plan is to work with Ukraine. There's tendencies of Turkey-Ukraine increasingly co-op in Aerospace Tech and Turbine Propulsion. Ukraine now will take anyone except Russia that will invest or co-op with them on defense sectors.

I do agree PRC will progress faster, and that they already shown with less reliance toward Russian tech partnership. However I don't want to underestimate Turkey, they've shown some ingenuity on developing their Defense Industry. How far they're going to progress on aero engine will have to be seen.
Agree regarding the Ukrainian side of things. I'd forgotten about them. That would definitely speed things along. I am not underestimating them, but was looking at the difficulties the PRC have been having. And I don't underestimate them.
On geopolitical side, I do believe US and West need to think more throughly on whether this moves will enlarge Erdogan Opposition (which they're hoping) or the other way around.
I take it you are talking about the sanctions. Of course Erdoğan will claim that he's innocent and that it's all a plot to discredit him and Turkey. I think it's 50/50 and he will play the religious card to the hilt, in an attempt to galvanise the population. Whether it works or not is another story. But he's making himself enemies out of Turkey's former friends, and that is not a good thing.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
But he's making himself enemies out of Turkey's former friends, and that is not a good thing
That's something that I still don't get what's his aim. Turkey always has beef with Greece and sometime France, however they also maintain good relationship with German especially and if read it right also with UK. Most importantly their relationship with US.

Now Erdogan doing move that iritated US and German. Both are Turkey bedrock relationship with Western Alliance. I'm simply don't see any sense on that except some Nationalist thinking on Erdo hard supporters domestically. He should now that Greek and Armenian lobbyist always try to distance US and German with Turkey, and instead to counter their move, he basically give them support.

Anyway that really reduce potential Partners for Turkish ambition in Aerospace. I'm underestimate them before mostly due to their Economics resources. Seems now Erdo really push hard on their defense Industry, regardless their dwindling Economics.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's something that I still don't get what's his aim. Turkey always has beef with Greece and sometime France, however they also maintain good relationship with German especially and if read it right also with UK. Most importantly their relationship with US.

Now Erdogan doing move that iritated US and German. Both are Turkey bedrock relationship with Western Alliance. I'm simply don't see any sense on that except some Nationalist thinking on Erdo hard supporters domestically. He should now that Greek and Armenian lobbyist always try to distance US and German with Turkey, and instead to counter their move, he basically give them support.

Anyway that really reduce potential Partners for Turkish ambition in Aerospace. I'm underestimate them before mostly due to their Economics resources. Seems now Erdo really push hard on their defense Industry, regardless their dwindling Economics.
Erdogan has this vison of himself being the next Ottoman Sultan - Sultan Recep the First of His Name, so I think that is his long term aim. He's pushing the defence industry hard in order to reduce Turkey's dependence upon foreign suppliers, especially the EU and the US.

Sandhi Yudha

Turkiye plans to develop a new combat helicopter which is a heavier version of the Agusta/TAI T129. The new 11-ton T929 will be equipped with two 2500hp turboshafts from Ukraina.

Also in this article they expected price per aircraft is revealed. Such a price tag you can expect from modern multirole fighters in development these days.

Terran

The Ukrainian engines is something I expect to see more with new Turkish indigenous systems. I mean the Altay tank is supposed to be getting one from South Korea for more or less the same reasons.
Basically US and European Export controls kicked in and put a hamper on Turkey’s goals.t
We see this with the T129 export to Pakistan. Where Turkey wanted to sell the chopper to whom ever it pleased only to slam face first into the fact the LHTech T800 and other critical systems had Made in the USA on them. In Altay they wanted German power packs but a German embargo put the kabash on that.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is an article from Armada International on review for Turkish Drive for self reliance on defense Industry, (especially) for this article on Aerospace. In sense whatever you want to call Erdo Sultan, he's very serious on putting Investment to work in Turkey Military Industrial complex.

The problem on sourcing Turbofan engine will still be the problem on Turkish drive for independency of their marketing drive. There's article in Philippines thread that shown Turkey seems getting approval from US on T129 engine for Philippines. However it's basically in my opinion happen due to changes in US Political environment.

Looking on Turkish media and defense forums, there's considerable effort to invest on propulsions, which they know still the achilles heel for Turkish defense Industry drive.

I'm still don't know considering Turkey economics condition, on how much continues Investment that can going to their military industrial complex. I know they also tapped from Gulf money, however lately seems they can relied only from Qatar. As Saudis and UAE have similar ambition, moreover conflicting Political consideration.

I suspect on propulsions, they more likely has to focus on two kind of turbofan engine. One for their helicopter and other for fighters. Possibly their TFX and Hurjet LCA/LIFT has to share same engine class. Even reallying with Ukraine help, (since so far) from RR and GE have precarious development.

Wonder what happen if changes in Turkish leadership finally kick in.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put this on this thread instead the Geopolitical thread as before. Seems this is already more than Greece source news anymore. So seems it is serious that Turkey going to ask 40 latest F-16 and 80 modification kit (presume the upgrade will be done locally in their F-16 facility).

Sandhi Yudha

|"Turkey’s current fleet of more than 200 F-16s will be phased out by 2035. Nearly 100 aircraft in the fleet await upgrades."|
So maybe Turkey can choose between new built F-16Vs or upgrade kits for its current F-16s.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Turkey has their own F-16 modifications program, called Ozgur. Seems from several Turkish media and their forums, Aside asking for F-16V, and kits for V upgrade (kind of deal that Taiwan got). They also going with this Ozgur packages using the airframes upgrade domestically and avionics from local sources (mostly Aselsan).

The way I read this, seems the Ozgur going to be replacement as they are going to take out F-5 and F-4, at the same time this program keep their oldest F-16 continue updated.

Thus the newly build V with upgrade packages aim to become their front line most advance Fighters (something that should be handle by F-35 on their original plan).

The Ozgur plan put 2035+ as the time table to be replaced with their TFX. All in all the time table reflect their intentions to get their TFX gradually taking over F-16, first those under Ozgur, and then the V upgrade and newly build V. The question will always be how the TFX going to be performing and developing.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Signals from US Congress on potential backing for Turkey request for 40 F-16V/Blk 70 plus 80 Blk 70 Kit upgrade. This Turkey request as my previous post above on top of their indegenous Ozgur modifications program (which seems going to be above Blk 50 but less then Blk 70), for the rest of F-16 fleet.

However I got a feeling there are still substantial voice in US congress that will demand Turkey behaviour more in line with US 'lead' Policy. Something that I don't think Sultan Erdo will follow.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Related to their own Ozgur program which aim to complement Blk 70 upgrade and new build fleet, seems Turkiye going to increase the scope of their F-16 fleet that will reveive this Ozgur upgrade program.

Asside from info in this article, the back and forth negotiation on Blk 70 according Turkiye forums also going to influence the decision on how big portion frm Turkiye F-16 fleet thar going to receive this Ozgur upgrade rather then Blk 70 (V) standard upgrade.

Knowing Erdo Sultan administration, the bigger this Ozgur program, much better for them. With Turkiye (TAI) already have license to build F-16, this Ozgur program plus their integration toward indigenous AAM, basically will make Turk AF F-16 become Turkiye own Fighter on most of the aspect sense.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Turkiye aerospace industry seems riding benefits of their latest drones performances. Other media also speculate of Turkiye try to offer potential tech development on their UCAV as part of licensing agreement. Point is they try to maximize the latest performance of their drones to open more market.