The Spanish Navy - Armada Española

santi

Whatever solution for a PdA replacement would be a local design.
In Spanish forums we have fierce debate in matters like a second BPE, with o without deck, BSAC-220 derived STOVL carrier, even a CTOL (to dream is cheap…).
Take a look to the PdA. Is a pure light CV in the most radical way. Modest prop and self defence but an hangar nearly as large as the Cavour (2400 sq m vs 2800, 17.000 t vs nearly 30.000….).
That seems the idea…

Regards

contedicavour

Whatever solution for a PdA replacement would be a local design.
In Spanish forums we have fierce debate in matters like a second BPE, with o without deck, BSAC-220 derived STOVL carrier, even a CTOL (to dream is cheap…).
Take a look to the PdA. Is a pure light CV in the most radical way. Modest prop and self defence but an hangar nearly as large as the Cavour (2400 sq m vs 2800, 17.000 t vs nearly 30.000….).
That seems the idea…

Regards
Thks for your posts, I have a better understanding now. I would stick to a 2nd BPE (good idea to take the well dock out) for commonality leading to lower costs of production, maintenance, training, logistics etc.

cheers

old

BPE (Buque Proyeccion Estrategica)

To less than one month of his putting in sea

Aircraft carrier Prince of Asturias, to the bottom, construction of the BPE.

When it is operative the PDA was modernizing and the BPE was operate the Harrier II of 9 ª squadron

Sea Toby

It appears to me that Spain can only build one at a time from the previous linked pictures. If this is so, Spain won't be able to build another BPE until after the two Australian hulls are completed. Is this so?

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
It appears to me that Spain can only build one at a time from the previous linked pictures. If this is so, Spain won't be able to build another BPE until after the two Australian hulls are completed. Is this so?
they only have one ordered. but i think if they do order another they would have to wait for the Aus vessels

Gladius

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. If the Spanish Government approve a second LHD, Navantia have capacity to build it simultaneously to the Australian ships without problems.

Navantia has two shipyards (in addiction of Navantia-Ferrol) in which would be able to be built ships of the type and dimensions of the LHD/BPE: The first one is Navantia-Fene (Ferrol) that besides being near to the shipyard of Navantia-Ferrol, already participates in the BPE program with the production of great number of the modules/blocks of the LHD that are being ensambled in Navantia-Ferrol. The second one is the shipyard of Navantia-Puerto Real (Cádiz).

harryriedl said:
they only have one ordered. but i think if they do order another they would have to wait for the Aus vessels
Like I said above, Navantia have alternatives to Navantia-Ferrol to build a hypothetical second LHD in addition to the two Australian contracted.

Gladius

More news about the Spanish Navy programmed acquisitions:

Navantia said:
NAVANTIA SUCCESSFULLY FINISHED LCM-1E PROGRAMME FOR THE SPANISH NAVY

28th of January 2008.
Navantia.

Comissioning of last unit of the series of 12, that Navantia has been delivering to the Spanish Navy since May 2006.

Navantia has delivered, on 24th. January, the last of the serieS of 12 LCM-1E landing crafts to the Spanish Navy.
The event, presided by the Fleet Admiral, Fernando Armada Vadillo, started with a sea trial of the delivered unit, L-614, with the authorities on board. The rest of the units, already in service, joined L-614 and carried out some formation and landing exercises. Afterwards, the representatives of the Spanish Navy and Navantia have signed the reception document.
Navantia highlights the exit of the LCM-E programme; thanks to the Spanish Navy has built and commissioned, in a record time, 12 units with a superior quality and technology.

The Spanish Navy counts since now with 12 high-speed landing crafts, that will make successful amphibious operations possible.
This programme also means for Navantia the entrance in the market of this product, and several countries have showed their interest in the LCM-1E, such as Australia, that recently have signed with Navantia a contract for the construction of two amphibious ships.

Photo © Navantia.

Source: Press Release of the event - Navantia website (Link).

contedicavour

Questions for our Spanish friends
> status of F100 programme - is the 5th validated and funding granted ?
> what about the rumoured 6th F100 ?
> S80s : only 4 will be built or more ? With the Daphnes gone, there are 4 Agosta left. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain investing in more than 4 SSKs
> OHP Santa Maria update : are ESSMs being installed ?

cheers

old

> S80s : only 4 will be built or more ? With the Daphnes gone, there are 4 Agosta left. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain investing in more than 4 SSKs

cheers

F105 this approved and in construction.
F106 still was not approved. :( This slope.

Submarines S80: 04 Units of the first lot in construction and 02 units m of the second, when they withdraw all the S70

The S60 (Daphnes) withdrawn from the service.

The S70 (Agosta) operative and modernized

The modernization of F80 OHP Santa Maria Class does not include the ESSM.
It includes new radars, the last version of the SM1 and ECM of last generation proceeding from the class F100

S70 (Agosta)

In MLU

Under the sea

S80-A Submarine (virtual recreation)

Last edited:

contedicavour

Thanks for the information !
Sooo 5 F100, 6 S80, and no new SAMs on the Santa Marias.
Well at least 1 good news since I was almost sure there were only 4 S80 ordered.

cheers

Gladius

Contedicavour said:
The F-105 was approved by the Cabinet in September of 2005, the funding in June of 2006.
The ship is being built by Navantia-Ferrol at this moment.

Contedicavour said:
Desired and reclaimed by the Navy, Syndicates of Workers, and the Xunta of Galicia, the sixth F-100 frigate remain pending of the Cabinet decision over its approval and funding.

Contedicavour said:
Only four s-80A have been approved and funded by the Cabinet. At this time we don't have any indications of a hypothetical approval of a second batch of S-80s in short-term. Nevertheless is a known desire of the Navy have at least two more submarines of a improved version of the S-80A. But it seen the precedent of the delay in the approval of the F-106... I'm very sceptical in which we see advances in this question at least in the next few years.

Contedicavour said:
No.
The ESSM never were considered in the MLU of the Santa María class.

Remain to be seen if the two younger F-80s ( F-85 Navarra & F-86 Canarias) receive finally the SM-2 (using the Mk-13 launcher) capability, like was commented some time ago.

old said:
It includes new radars, the last version of the SM1 and ECM of last generation proceeding from the class F100
Eh... Yes and No.

The Nettunel ECM system will be discarded, being replaced by the Rigel EW system (with ESM capacities but without any ECM capability).

The older ships will receive the SM-1MR Block VI after the MLU, but remain to be see if the younger ships already using those, will be modified to use the SM-2 or will continue using the SM-1...

The radar Raytheon 1650/9 has been replaced by a new LPI Radar (Indra Aries maybe?).

And many more things... New MTUs, Structural Integrity Revision, Reformed Extinction System, New Batteries, IFF Mod. 5, Modernization of the FCS (Mk.92), Reformed Com & SatCom Systems, etc...

old said:
Submarines S80: 04 Units of the first lot in construction and 02 units m of the second, when they withdraw all the S70
The Galerna class will be replaced by the first batch of S-80s whatever say the Goverment or the Navy to the media.
The reason is simple and evident: The S-80s will be commissioned between 2013 and 2015 (official calendar), and by then the S-70s will have more than 30 years of service in its hulls. To maintain them in active for a few years beyond 2015, awaiting its replacement by the second batch of the S-80s or a new class S-90, that in no case would come before 2017, is IMO dangerous, expensive and unreasonable.
Especially when the S-70s suffers at this moment from problems of availability and they have had more than one serious accident, although fortunately without casualties. Take your pick, but IMHO the S-70 class will be retired long before the second batch of S-80s will be finished (and remains without official approval or funding at this time).

contedicavour

Very interesting - our navies face similar issues :
- how to make some sense of remaining Mk13 launchers (on our De la Penne and your Santa Maria)
- how to make up for the late approval of new SSKs (U212 / S80) which risks seeing both navies reduce SSKs to 4 for each country unless a serious effort is made to fund and accelerate construction of 2 extra SSKs

cheers

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any idea if the spanish are concidering using LED line markings on the deck?

Looks very nice. Very happy Australia has committed to atleast two of these ships. I also hope they keep the skijump.

I hope as part of the sea trials they test out some harriers on her.

Sea Toby

Any idea if the spanish are concidering using LED line markings on the deck?

Looks very nice. Very happy Australia has committed to atleast two of these ships. I also hope they keep the skijump.

I hope as part of the sea trials they test out some harriers on her.
I wouldn't be surprised if the carrier sailed toward the United States you might see a Lightning II test on her.

The Australians are expecting their first F-35s during 2013. I would expect their first LHD might see a US Marine Lightning II on her test before the second LHD was commissioned..

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would love to see her with F-35 on deck..

I see they have finished covering her in a coat of paint..