The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

vikingatespam

My main worry us that if further attacks of this nature continue with the Ukrainians receiving intel and other forms of assistance from their NATO backers; the Russians might take things to a new level. How they perceive things and how things are perceived by their opponents can differ greatly.

If we look at the popular narrative: it's of a demoralised Russian army which has suffered tremendous losses being on its last legs in the face of stiff enemy resistance; massive Western support and a Russia hard hit by sanctions. I question widely held narrative. People routinely claim-- with justification - that Russia can't win but I'm asking if the Ukrainians can win and what a win will really look like.
Neither side is winning, both are losing. The win for either side is different. Jomini of the West says it best: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZM0k5OWAAE2wml.jpg

vonnoobie

My main worry us that if further attacks of this nature continue with the Ukrainians receiving intel and other forms of assistance from their NATO backers; the Russians might take things to a new level. How they perceive things and how things are perceived by their opponents can differ greatly.
How exactly will Russia take this to a new level? Short of a declaration of war to allow them to mobilise full force, nuclear strike or going war lord level of brutality on captured forces and civilians in occupied areas there is not much more Russia can do because they are already stretched thin keeping it as a "special military operation". The first will take months to implement best case while the second one risks it breaking out to nuclear war because no way NATO sits back with a nuclear strike going next door while the third would make it less likely for UA forces to surrender but rather fight harder and increase the level of civilians fighting or providing aid and Intel in occupied areas.

None of which covers the picture it will paint which will be a smaller nation with a trickle of foreign support is able to hold against a nuclear "super power". It will be a stain on Russian image for decades and will increase the support from nations even ones not heavily aiding them now.

vikingatespam

I suspect the Russian side of these goals has changed pretty drastically since that speech was made. Russia is now making moves to annex large swathes of Ukrainian territory.
That doesnt surprise me, but lets be honest - the RU original goal was to annex the entire country in a short shock-and-awe campaign in the hopes Zelinsky would flee. Then Putin could install a Lukashenko-style puppet. Now he wants to run a bullshit "vote" in occupied territory. Given the fierce resistance the UKR have shown, I suspect most of the occupied territories (but not all) arent happy about the idea of being RU.

vikingatespam

How exactly will Russia take this to a new level? Short of a declaration of war to allow them to mobilise full force, nuclear strike or going war lord level of brutality on captured forces and civilians in occupied areas there is not much more Russia can do because they are already stretched thin keeping it as a "special military operation". The first will take months to implement best case while the second one risks it breaking out to nuclear war because no way NATO sits back with a nuclear strike going next door while the third would make it less likely for UA forces to surrender but rather fight harder and increase the level of civilians fighting or providing aid and Intel in occupied areas.
Well, I have vague concerns that if things continue to ratchet up, that it might not be difficult for US ammo plants to have "accidents" that put them out of commission for some time. Same for Countries in Europe.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesnt surprise me, but lets be honest - the RU original goal was to annex the entire country in a short shock-and-awe campaign in the hopes Zelinsky would flee. Then Putin could install a Lukashenko-style puppet. Now he wants to run a bullshit "vote" in occupied territory. Given the fierce resistance the UKR have shown, I suspect most of the occupied territories (but not all) arent happy about the idea of being RU.
There's a big difference between a Lukashenko-style proxy (and where would they even get one like him?), and outright annexation of areas with direct governance from Russia.

STURM

How exactly will Russia take this to a new level?
It can in various which might not necessarily lead to war with NATO; wasn't referring to.a nuke strike. Like NATO Russia too wants to avoid a clash but there is a danger that certain incidents might lead to things rapidly spiralling out of control. Russia is desperate and as far as it's concern the attack on Crimea was an attack on sovereign Russian soil. Desperate countries resort to desperate measures.

because no way NATO sits back with a nuclear strike going next door
In the unlikely event that Russia uses a tactical nuke NATO might not "sit back" but this doesnt necessarily mean its willing to go to war with Russia because that would probably ultimately lead to a nuke exchange and the end of Western Europe [for starters]. Is NATO willing to go to war and risk losing Paris, Oslo, London, Copenhagen, Warsaw and a list of other places as a result? Do we need any reminders as to how fast moving events and miscalculations led to.WW1 and 2?

It will be a stain on Russian image
"A stain on its image" is probably the least of Russia's concerns now.

vonnoobie

It can in various which might not necessarily lead to war with NATO; wasn't referring to.a nuke strike. Like NATO Russia too wants to avoid a clash but there is a danger that certain incidents might lead to things rapidly spiralling out of control. Russia is desperate and as far as it's concern the attack on Crimea was an attack on sovereign Russian soil. Desperate countries resort to desperate measures.
So how exactly then will they be able to take it to the next level? You replied to the nuclear portion which I agree somewhat with and the image portion but have entirely ignored the most pertinent question being how can Russia take it to the next level, I'm sorry but "It can in various which might not necessarily lead to war with NATO" is not an answer but comes across IMO as an attempt to side step someone questioning your statement. Not trying to be rude at all but considering the current situation I fail to see anyway Russia can go to the next level with out resorting to full war or actively enabling war crimes.

STURM

So how exactly then will they be able to take it to the next level?
Want me to spell it out as to what I think they can or might do; much obliged - attack supply dumps in eastern Poland; sabre rattling along the border with the Baltic states or other NATO members; mass mobilisation; perhaps even using chemicals; indiscriminate attacks on non Ukrainian military targets; etc. Like I said before; amidst all the euphoria about the attack; the Russians can react [let's not denude ourselves in believing just because they are over stretched, worn out and hard hit by sanctions that they've played all their cards]; they view the Crimea as Russian sovereign territory [even if the rest of the world doesn't] and if such attacks continue it might result in Russia and NATO being closer to an actual conflict. What if the Russians declare that another attack on Russian territory [read the Crimea] will result in an attack on a NATO target because the weapons used were supplied by a NATO country; were transported via another NATO country and intel enabling the attack was provided to the Ukrainians by NATO...

I will also state again that there's a limit as to how far NATO will go in the event things start pointing in the direction of Russia acting desperately or irrationally on response to certain events.. On Russia's part it too is anxious to avoid trouble with NATO but like I said : things can rapidly and easily spiral out of control.

I'm sorry but "It can in various which might not necessarily lead to war with NATO" is not an answer
To me it was an answer which leaves no room for doubt on what I meant...

comes across IMO as an attempt to side step someone questioning your statement.
As you said it's your opinion to which I'll merely reply that I don't have to ''side step'' anything; merely not reply If I choose to.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Want me to spell it out as to what I think they can or might do; much obliged - attack supply dumps in eastern Poland; sabre rattling along the border with the Baltic states or other NATO members; mass mobilisation; perhaps even using chemicals; indiscriminate attacks on non Ukrainian military targets; etc. Like I said before; amidst all the euphoria about the attack; the Russians can react [let's not denude ourselves in believing just because they are over stretched, worn out and hard hit by sanctions that they've played all their cards]; they view the Crimea as Russian sovereign territory [even if the rest of the world doesn't] and if such attacks continue it might result in Russia and NATO being closer to an actual conflict. What if the Russians declare that another attack on Russian territory [read the Crimea] will result in an attack on a NATO target because the weapons used were supplied by a NATO country; were transported via another NATO country and intel enabling the attack was provided to the Ukrainians by NATO...

I will also state again that there's a limit as to how far NATO will go in the event things start pointing in the direction of Russia acting desperately or irrationally on response to certain events.. On Russia's part it too is anxious to avoid trouble with NATO but like I said : things can rapidly and easily spiral out of control.

To me it was an answer which leaves no room for doubt on what I meant...

As you said it's your opinion to which I'll merely reply that I don't have to ''side step'' anything; merely not reply If I choose to.
If the Russians attack supply dumps in Poland, or any other NATO country, that will elicit a NATO response and it won't be a slap with a soggy bus ticket. It will be an explosive one and you'll have a full blown war between Russia and NATO. That will ensure NATO tanks, aircraft, troops etc., rolling across the Polish Ukrainian border to reinforce Ukraine and fight alongside them. If the Russians use a tactical nuke to stop that, then all bets are off and they've signed their own annihilation warrant along with Europe's and North America's, because once little nukes start going off bigger ones are sure to follow.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ISW Updates.
These are deliberately posted without comment in order for members to reach their own conclusions.

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment
August 9, 7:45 pm ET

Main Points.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks to the southeast of Siversk and around Bakhmut.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks north of Donetsk City and southwest of Donetsk City near the Zaporizhia-Donetsk Oblast border.
  • Several large explosions hit Russian positions near Sevastopol and north of Crimea, but Russia did not blame Ukraine for them and Ukraine has not taken credit for them.
  • Russia launched a surveillance satellite for Iran.
  • Western media has reported that a Ukrainian counteroffensive is underway near Izyum, but the Ukrainian General Staff was notably completely silent about the area in its evening report.
  • Russian sources suggested that recently-formed volunteer battalions are responsible for much of the Izyum sector.
  • Ukrainian officials claimed that Russian forces continued to fire artillery systems from the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.
  • Russian officials are continuing to take prominent roles in preparing for the sham referenda in Russian-occupied regions despite Kremlin claims that Russia is not conducting the referenda.

Click here to see ISW's interactive map of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. This map is updated daily alongside the static maps present in this report.

The Ukrainian General Staff made no mention of Izyum in its 1800 situational report on August 9, nor did other prominent Ukrainian sources despite Western sources’ claims of an ongoing Ukrainian counteroffensive in this area. This silence represents a noteworthy departure from previous Ukrainian coverage of the Kharkiv-Donetsk axis.

Russian and Ukrainian sources reported a series of large explosions deep within Russian-occupied Kherson Oblast and Crimea on August 9, but Ukrainian officials have not claimed responsibility for them as of the time of this publication. Social media users reported witnessing 12 loud explosions at the Saky airbase in Novofedorivka on the Crimean western coast.[1] Social media footage only showed the large cloud of smoke and the aftermath of the incident.[2] Social media footage also showed a large smoke cloud near Novooleksiivka in Henichensk district, in the vicinity of the Kherson Oblast-Crimean border.[3] Advisor to the Kherson Oblast Administration Serhiy Khlan reported that explosions occurred on the Russian ammunition base but noted that there is no official confirmation of Ukrainian involvement in the incident.[4]

The Russian Defense Ministry claimed that several aircraft munitions detonated in the storage areas of the Saky airbase due to poor fire protocol, rejecting reports that Ukrainian strikes or sabotage at the military facility caused the explosions.[5] The Russian Defense Ministry added that the incident did not result in any casualties or damage to Russian aviation equipment. The Russian Health Ministry claimed that five civilians were wounded in the incident, however.[6] Social media footage also showed firefighters extinguishing a burning plane, which also contradicts the original Russian Defense Ministry claim.[7] Russian-appointed Head of Crimea Sergey Aksyenov claimed that Russian officials are only evacuating a few residents in homes near the airbase, but social media footage showed long traffic jams approaching the Crimean bridge and the departure of several minibusses, reportedly with evacuees.[8] Russian propagandist Margarita Simonyan claimed that the incident was a result of sabotage rather than a missile or rocket strike.[9] Russian milbloggers voiced differing opinions regarding the origin of the strike, with some speculating that Ukrainian forces used US-provided long-range army tactical missile systems (ATACMS).[10] Ukrainian forces do not have the ATACMS systems, however.

The Kremlin has little incentive to accuse Ukraine of conducting strikes that caused the damage since such strikes would demonstrate the ineffectiveness of Russian air defense systems, which the Ukrainian sinking of the Moskva had already revealed. ISW does not yet have any basis independently to assess the precise cause of the explosions. The apparent simultaneity of explosions at two distinct facilities likely rules out the official Russian version of accidental fire, but it does not rule out either sabotage or long-range missile strike. Ukraine could have modified its Neptune missiles for land-attack use (as the Russians have done with both anti-shipping and anti-aircraft missiles), but there is no evidence to support this hypothesis at this time.

Russia launched an Iranian satellite into orbit on August 9 that could be used to provide military intelligence on Ukraine. Iranian Space Agency Head Hassan Salariyeh stated that the remote-sensing satellite, Khayyam, has a one-meter camera resolution.[11] Khayyam has already begun broadcasting telemetry data.[12] Iranian officials have denied that another state will have access to satellite feed at any point, but Western intelligence officials have claimed that Russian authorities will maintain access.[13]

Note: ISW does not receive any classified material from any source, uses only publicly available information, and draws extensively on Russian, Ukrainian, and Western reporting and social media as well as commercially available satellite imagery and other geospatial data as the basis for these reports. References to all sources used are provided in the endnotes of each update.

Full article:
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-9
The pdf can be downloaded here.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ISW Updates.
These are deliberately posted without comment in order for members to reach their own conclusions.

August 10, 8:00 pm ET

Main Points.
  • Russian officials remain confused about the August 9 attack on the Saki Air Base in Russian-occupied Crimea, over 225km behind Russian lines, which destroyed at least eight Russian aircraft and multiple buildings.
  • The Kremlin’s changing plans suggest that occupying forces are most likely to move up the date of the annexation referenda in occupied Ukraine. Annexation makes it harder to imagine any negotiated settlement to the war on any terms that Ukraine or the West could accept, demonstrating that the Kremlin is fundamentally unserious about ending the war on any terms short of a Ukrainian surrender.
  • Iran reportedly began training Russian forces on Iranian UAV systems in recent weeks, demonstrating the deepening military cooperation between Iran and Russia.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks west of Izyum.
  • Russian forces continued limited ground assaults northeast and west of Bakhmut and likely made marginal gains in these areas.
  • Russian forces made marginal gains northwest of Donetsk City and are continuing attempts to push northwestward from current footholds on the outskirts of Donetsk City.
  • Russian forces conducted multiple unsuccessful offensives north and northeast of Kharkiv City.
  • Russian forces conducted an unsuccessful reconnaissance-in-force operation in northwestern Kherson Oblast
  • Russia’s Oryol Oblast is reportedly forming a volunteer battalion.

Click here to see ISW's interactive map of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. This map is updated daily alongside the static maps present in this report.

Ukrainian officials framed the August 9 attack in Crimea as the start of Ukraine’s counteroffensive in the south, suggesting that the Ukrainian military expects intense fighting in August and September that could decide the outcome of the next phase of the war.
A Ukrainian official told Politico on August 10 that “you can say this is it” when asked about the start of Ukraine’s planned counteroffensive.[1] Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky vaguely noted on August 10 that the war “began with Crimea and must end with Crimea - with its liberation.”[2]​

Russian officials remain confused about the August 9 attack on the Saki Air Base in Russian-occupied Crimea, over 225km behind Russian lines, which destroyed at least eight Russian aircraft and multiple buildings. Satellite imagery confirmed reports from Ukraine’s air force that the attack destroyed at least eight Russian aircraft, contradicting Russian claims that the explosions did not damage any aircraft and were not the result of an attack.[3] Russian outlets shared conflicting stories: the Russian Ministry of Defense claimed on August 9 that munitions had been detonated at a storage site at the airfield due to negligence, not an attack, and claimed that no aircraft were damaged.[4] Russian milblogger Rybar claimed on August 10 that the explosion was likely not caused by a missile strike and hypothesized that the explosions could be due to negligence and non-compliance with safety regulations or to a small helicopter with a bomb attacking a nearby parking lot.[5] Mixed stories in Russian media and among Russian milbloggers indicate that either officials within the Russian Ministry of Defense have competing theories regarding the attack and are sharing them with the media, or that the Kremlin has failed to coordinate its information operation to deny that Ukraine conducted a successful attack so far behind Russian lines. Russian forces at the airbase likely know by now what happened but may not yet understand how or from exactly where Ukrainian forces conducted the attack.

Ukrainian officials are playing up the evident Russian confusion surrounding the attack to obfuscate Ukraine‘s longer-range capabilities. An anonymous Ukrainian official told the New York Times that the attack was carried out with the help of partisans.[6] Another anonymous Ukrainian official told the Washington Post that Ukrainian special forces caused the explosion, while other Ukrainian officials implicitly referenced the attack but did not overtly take credit for it.[7] ISW still cannot independently assess what caused the explosions at the airfield—satellite imagery depicts multiple craters and scorch marks, but such damage could have been caused by many things--special forces, partisans, or missiles, on-site or from a distance.

Nevertheless, Ukrainian military officials took credit for two long-range missile strikes on an ammunition depot in Novooleksiivka in Henichensk district (north of Crimea) and on the battalion tactical group (BTG) command post of the 217th Guards Airborne Regiment in the Maksyma Horkoho on the southwestern Kherson Oblast coast.[8] The settlements are situated 100km and 170km south of frontlines along the Kherson Oblast administrative border respectively. Ukraine’s claimed attacks demonstrate longer-range missile capabilities but do not demonstrate the range they would have needed to hit the Saki Air Base from along the front lines. Ukrainian forces have various systems that they could have used or modified to hit Russian military infrastructure in Crimea or southern Kherson Oblast.

The Kremlin’s changing plans suggest that occupying forces will likely move up the date of the annexation referenda in occupied Ukraine. The advisor to Ukraine’s Kherson Oblast Civil Military Administration, Serhiy Khlan, claimed on August 10 that occupation forces have stopped discussing September 11 as a date for Russia’s sham referenda on the annexation of occupied Ukrainian territories.[9] ISW previously assessed September 11, the date that polling will be held in local and regional elections across the Russian Federation, to be the most likely date for annexation referenda to be held.[10] Khlan noted that Russian occupation forces had referred to September 11 as the date of the sham referenda, “but now the dates are again unclear.” Occupation authorities have taken measures to be able to hold sham referendums at any time—ISW reported on August 3 that Russian forces would offer easily manipulated “online voting” in the Donetsk Oblast referendum and reported on August 7 that occupation forces in occupied Zaporizhia Oblast were planning door-to-door “surveys” of the local population.[11]

The political, military, economic, and other consequences of a prolonged Russian military occupation of southern and eastern Ukraine would be devastating to the long-term viability of the Ukrainian state.[12] The performative drama of annexation will not change the on-the-ground realities created by the brutal Russian occupation. Forced passportization, rubleization, “filtration,” and other “integration” measures already underway in Russian-occupied areas are far more important and damaging to Ukraine than the referenda would be.[13]

Ukrainian nuclear operating enterprise Energoatom Head Petro Kotin suggested that Ukrainian forces interrupt power lines leading to the Zaporizhia Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) should Russian forces start disconnecting the ZNPP from the Ukrainian power system.[14] Kotin told Reuters on August 9 that Russian forces intend to damage all power lines to the ZNPP and connect the plant to the Russian power grid, effectively stealing the ZNPP from the Ukrainians.[15]

The Embassy of Uzbekistan in Russia cautioned the Uzbek diaspora that any form of participation in the Russian invasion of Ukraine is punishable by up to 10 years in Uzbek prison, effectively denouncing Russian volunteer recruitment efforts among Central Asian immigrants. The Embassy noted that Uzbek law prohibits all citizens from engaging in mercenary activity and warned Uzbeks to stay clear of any “provocations.”[16] ISW has previously reported that the Chairman of the Society of Central Asian Uzbeks of Perm Krai, Jahongir Jalolov, called on Uzbek nationals living or working in Perm Krai to form a volunteer battalion in Perm Krai to support Russian forces in Ukraine.[17] Russian propagandist Margarita Simonyan supported Jalolov’s proposal and celebrated the loyalty of the Uzbek diaspora in Russia.[18] The Embassy statement was likely a response to Jalolov’s announcement.

Iran reportedly began training Russian forces on Iranian UAV systems in recent weeks, demonstrating the deepening military cooperation between Iran and Russia. A US official told CNN that “Russian officials conducted training in Iran as part of the agreement for UAV transfers from Iran to Russia,” citing newly declassified US intelligence.[19] Russia launched a satellite on Iran’s behalf on August 9, likely in exchange for the drones and other military equipment and economic collaboration.[20] Iran may leverage new Russo-Iranian aviation deals to transfer UAVs to Russia for use in Ukraine.[21]

Note: ISW does not receive any classified material from any source, uses only publicly available information, and draws extensively on Russian, Ukrainian, and Western reporting and social media as well as commercially available satellite imagery and other geospatial data as the basis for these reports. References to all sources used are provided in the endnotes of each update.

Full article:
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-10

STURM

If the Russians attack supply dumps in Poland, or any other NATO country, that will elicit a NATO response and it won't be a slap with a soggy bus ticket. It will be an explosive one and you'll have a full blown war between Russia and NATO. That will ensure NATO tanks, aircraft, troops etc., rolling across the Polish Ukrainian border to reinforce Ukraine and fight alongside them. If the Russians use a tactical nuke to stop that, then all bets are off and they've signed their own annihilation warrant along with Europe's and North America's, because once little nukes start going off bigger ones are sure to follow.
I don't doubt it but all this is based on the premise that the Russians still act rationally. If things get worse for them the danger is that they might resort to certain measures based on the belief or gamble that NATO won't be willing to go to war over the Ukraine. There's also the question if China would sit back and watch Russia get trashed in a conventional war with NATO.

warrant along with Europe's and North America's, because once little nukes start going off bigger ones are sure to follow
Unfortunately the fallout/after effects would probably reach those of us who are not in North America or Europe.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The Chinese reaction to a NATO-Russian conventional war would be interesting. If they allowed Russia to get thrashed, it certainly would allow for better deals on Russian minerals and oil. China would also be able to do pretty much anything it wanted to do in Asia with the US and Europe committed to the European front.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Russia has trouble striking all the supply dumps inside Ukraine, why would they strike them outside with the concern for escalation, and other similar issues at play? The limitation Russia faces in this war is that of information. Ukraine has a superior NATO-provided data-harvesting machine working in support of them. Russia has much less. As it stands, Russia has enough targets inside Ukraine and enough difficulty finding and striking those targets. Striking targets in Poland wouldn't advance Russia's war effort and would come with huge risks. It just wouldn't be worth it.

So how exactly then will they be able to take it to the next level? You replied to the nuclear portion which I agree somewhat with and the image portion but have entirely ignored the most pertinent question being how can Russia take it to the next level, I'm sorry but "It can in various which might not necessarily lead to war with NATO" is not an answer but comes across IMO as an attempt to side step someone questioning your statement. Not trying to be rude at all but considering the current situation I fail to see anyway Russia can go to the next level with out resorting to full war or actively enabling war crimes.
I'm not sure "next level" is a relevant term here, but there are a few things Russia could do. They could engage in an aggressive hunt for Ukrainian leadership, more strikes like the attack on the Officer House in Vinnitsa, where a number of relatively senior military officers were killed. They could close off portions of airspace over the Black Sea, citing the use of western reconnaissance aircraft to support Ukrainian strikes. They could aggressively pound bridges across the Dnepr, destroying key infrastructure, and severly bottlenecking traffic. They could even destroy the DneproGES, though this seems unlikely given the massive civilian casualties it would cause.

hauritz

I am not sure Russia really has that many military options left. Their stocks of precision weapons must be running pretty low by now. Conventional weapons like artillery, tanks, infantry and bombs would mean having to accept a very high attrition rate.

Going after the Ukraine leadership is one option but I am pretty sure they are already trying to do that and so far not particularly effectively.

Still not sure how this will end but I don’t imagine either side would be keen to continue fighting in the winter months.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
They could close off portions of airspace over the Black Sea, citing the use of western reconnaissance aircraft to support Ukrainian strikes.
What portions of airspace over the Black Sea do you think Russia could close, without triggering Article 5? Whilst the Black Sea is an inland sea, AFAIK there are portions of both the sea and the airspace above that would constitute international waters/airspace. Yes, NATO aircraft would need to cross through the airspace and territory of one or more nations to enter the Black Sea areas, but since there are three NATO members with coastlines on the Black Sea and there are adjoining NATO member-states which can give flight corridors... Provided NATO aircraft keep their flights to outside the 12 n mile limits of coastlines, then such flights even if they are harvester flights, should be able to continue.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There has been a series of mysterious explosions heard at the Belarus Ziabrovka Airbase, 14 miles from the Ukrainian border. Large Scorch Mark At Belarus Base After Mysterious Explosions (Updated) Scorch marks have been seen but none of the main base infrastructure facilities have been damaged. Official Belarussian sources claim that a vehicle engine had caught fire but the observed evidence doesn't correlate with the explanation. Interesting.

A Times Radio interview with retired British Army Maj Gen Chip Chapman discussing the attack on the Russian Saki Airbase in Crimea. He said that it will have frightened the hell out f the Russians because it now tells them that nowhere in the Ukraine is safe anymore.

Major General Rupert Jones discusses on Times Radio the attack on Saki Airbase as well and suggests that Russia has lost momentum overll with it swinging towards the Ukrainians.

This backed up by Dr Mike Martin in his interview with Times Radio.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ISW Updates.

August 11, 9:00 pm ET

Main Points.
  • The US State Department called on Russian forces to cease all military activity surrounding the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) amidst new reports of shelling at the ZNPP.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks east of Siversk and northeast and southeast of Bakhmut.
  • Russian forces continued ground attacks on the north and southwestern outskirts of Donetsk City.
  • Ukrainian officials confirmed additional Ukrainian strikes on Russian command posts and ammunition depots along the Southern Axis.
  • Russia’s Khabarovsk Krai is forming two new volunteer battalions.

The US State Department called on Russian forces to cease all military activity surrounding the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) and support the creation of a demilitarized zone amidst new reports of shelling at the ZNPP on August 11.[1] The US State Department also called on Russia to return control of the plant to Ukraine.

Ukrainian and Russian occupation authorities accused each other of shelling the ZNPP on August 11. Ukraine’s nuclear operating enterprise Energoatom reported that Russian shelling damaged the area of the commandant’s office, storage of radiation sources, and the nearby fire station.[2] The fire station is approximately 5km east of the ZNPP. The Ukrainian Strategic Communications Center stated that Russian forces are deliberately staging provocations at the ZNPP and are carrying out dangerous experiments involving power lines to blame Ukrainian forces at the United Nations (UN) Security Council.[3] Russian-appointed Zaporizhia Oblast Occupation Administration Head Yevgeniy Balitsky claimed that Ukrainian shelling damaged the ”Kakhovskaya” high-voltage power line, resulting in a fire and a large cloud of smoke seen on social media footage from the city.[4]

Russian officials have previously accused Ukraine of striking positions of crucial significance to Ukrainians – such as the falsely-claimed HIMARS strike on the Olenivka colony in occupied Donetsk Oblast. A CNN investigation concluded that “there is almost no chance that a HIMARS rocket caused the damage to the warehouse where the prisoners were being held.”[5] Russians may be continuing a similar narrative around the ZNPP to discourage further Western support to Ukraine. ISW cannot independently verify the party responsible for the shelling of the ZNPP.

Russia’s 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (64th SGMRB) of the 35th Combined Arms Army (CAA) has likely been destroyed in combat, possibly as part of an intentional Kremlin effort to conceal the war crimes it committed in Kyiv Oblast. Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty (RFEFL) investigative journalist Mark Krutov conducted an investigation into the brigade following its participation in atrocities in Bucha and concluded that after heavy fighting on the Izyum and Slovyansk axes, the brigade has largely ceased to exist.[6] Krutov stated that out of 1,500 soldiers who were in the brigade before the war, 200 to 300 were likely killed.[7] Krutov quoted CNA Russia Studies director Michael Kofman’s estimates that the typical ratio for those killed to those wounded in action is around 1 to 3.5, which would mean that the 64th SGMRB suffered up to 700 to 1,000 wounded in action.[8] It is typical for Russian units that are so severely degraded during combat to be disbanded and survivors reallocated into other combat elements, but Krutov noted that Russian President Vladimir Putin cannot disband the 64th SGMRB without embarrassment. Putin had awarded the brigade the honorary “guards” designation on April 18, following the emergence of evidence that it had committed war crimes in Bucha.[9] The brigade was rushed back into combat in eastern Ukraine after it had completed its withdrawal from around Kyiv without much time to rest, refit, receive replacements, or recover. Speculation at the time ran that the Kremlin was eager to have the brigade destroyed in combat to avoid revelation of its war crimes.[10]

Ukrainian intelligence warned that the Kremlin is setting conditions to launch an informational attack on Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in an effort to discredit him. The Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported that the Russian Presidential Administration approved the creation of a new informational task force within the Russian special services responsible for establishing the fake “Zelensky Foundation.”[11] The foundation will feature an unspecified falsified proposal targeting foreign aid organizations and will operate as a ”multi-level marketing” scheme likely focusing on recruitment in European countries. The GUR noted that the main concept behind the foundation is to distribute misinformation in the European media sphere. The GUR noted that as of August 10, Russian special services had created a site for the foundation, prepared social media fake screenshots and comments, and established a network of bloggers to promote the foundation. Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar echoed similar concerns that Russia has intensified its information operations by spreading rumors in an effort to create friction between Ukrainian military and political officials.[12]

A collection of complaints sent to the Russian military prosecutor’s office and verified by Bellingcat and the Insider included instances of Russian authorities tricking or coercing conscripts into taking combat positions, limiting the extent of information provided to the families of Russian soldiers, and failing to provide soldiers with basic food or medical care. The archive includes reports that Russian commanders have ordered soldiers to launch assaults with no equipment, refused to allow soldiers to quit or to dismiss them for clearly fileable offensives, and failed to notify soldiers’ relatives of their death.[13] The report also highlighted complaints from residents of occupied Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts that accused Russian forces of looting, trespassing, and firing military equipment from civilian infrastructure.

Ukrainian General Staff Main Operations Deputy Chief Oleksiy Gromov stated that Ukrainian forces were not responsible for explosions at the Zyabrovka airfield near Gomel, Belarus overnight on August 10-11.[14] The Belarusian Ministry of Defense (MOD) claimed that an inspection run caused an engine fire at the Zyabrovka airfield and that there were no casualties.[15] Senior Advisor to Belarusian opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovkaya Franak Viacorka amplified local reports of at least eight explosions near the Zyabrovka airfield.[16] Social media video footage showed flashes near the airfield.[17]

Full article: Institute for the Study of War

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ISW Updates.

August 12, 9:00 pm ET

Main Points.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks east of Siversk and northeast and southeast of Bakhmut.
  • Russian forces conducted ground attacks southwest and northwest of Donetsk City.
  • Ukrainian forces destroyed the last functioning bridge Russian forces used to transport military equipment near the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant.
  • Ukrainian officials confirmed additional Ukrainian strikes on Russian ammunition depots and a logistics point in Kherson Oblast.
  • Russian regional officials may be misrepresenting percentage fill of newly formed volunteer battalions.
  • Ukrainian partisans are likely targeting Russian occupation officials and Ukrainian collaborators who are preparing for the sham annexation referenda to disrupt the Russian annexation of occupied Ukraine.

The Kremlin is reportedly attempting to mobilize industry to support prolonged war efforts in Ukraine.
The Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported that the Kremlin initiated the “industrial mobilization” of the defense enterprises in early August, banning some employees and the entire leadership at the Russian state industrial conglomerate company Rostec from taking vacations.[1] The GUR added that the Military-Industrial Commission of the Russian Federation, chaired by Russian President Vladimir Putin, is preparing to change the state defense order program by early September to increase expenditures by 600-700 billion rubles (approximately $10 billion). Russian outlet Ura also reported that Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu likely visited the Uralvagonzavod factory, the largest tank manufacturer in Russia and the producer of Russia’s T-72 main battle tanks, on August 12.[2] The GUR previously reported that Uralvagonzavod faced financial issues due to Western-enforced sanctions and failure to meet state contract obligations.[3] If true, Shoigu’s visit could suggest that the Kremlin is attempting to restart or expand the operation of the military-industrial complex. ISW has previously reported that the Kremlin has been conducting a crypto-mobilization of the Russian economy by proposing an amendment to the federal laws on Russian Armed Forces supply matters to the Russian State Duma on June 30.[4] The amendment obliges Russian businesses, regardless of ownership, to fulfill Russian military orders and allows the Kremlin to change work conditions for employees. Putin signed the amendment on July 14, which indicates that the Kremlin will continue to introduce more measures to expand the Kremlin’s direct control over the operations of Russia’s military-industrial complex.[5]

Full article: Institute for the Study of War