The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Feb. 14th-16th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Ukrainian S-300 in Kherson region crashes shortly after launch.

Some footage of Russian positions on the Dnepr, in Kherson region.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts, Odessa.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk-Kirovograd.

M777 getting hit by a loitering munition, Zaporozhye region.

Ukrainian 2S1 getting hit by a loitering munition. Note we don't have a fire or ammo cooking off. It's possible the vehicle survived.

Russian strike against an alleged Ukrainian LP/OP, Zaporozhye region.

Russian Fagot ATGM launch at a Ukrainian position. Zaporozhye area.

Russian forces in Zaporozhye region using a Lada Niva as an ATGM technical.

Malinovka, Russia reportedly hit a munition storage.

Russia struck targets in Krivogradskaya region. Reportedly energy infrastructure was targeted.

The North.

Air defenses firing over Kiev. Reportedly Russia has begun using reconnaissance aerostats.

Ukrainian sources are reporting large numbers of Russian UAVs spotted over Kiev, Zhitomyr, and Chernigov regions.

Russia struck targets in Poltava region.

Oskol Front.

A Russian assault near Svatovo, with 5 MBTs firing and advancing on the position, and infantry then dismounting from somewhere and moving in.

Russian ATGM launch at a Ukrainian IFV (looks a little like an M113 to me). The vehicle is destroyed.

Russian T-72B3 fires in the woods near Kremennaya.

Ukrainian BM-21 getting hit by a loitering munition near Kremennaya.

Overrun Ukrainian positions in the woods near Kremennaya. Warning footage of corpses. Reportedly Russia has pushed back Ukrainian forces 1-2kms along this area.

A rare Ukrainian T-84 was spotted near Kupyansk. Only 6 such vehicles are currently active.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
LDNR Front.

Wagner fighters in Praskovievka. Note the destroyed Kozak armored car.

Ukrainian forces riding Kipri MRAPs pulled out of Krasnaya Gora, carrying wounded.

Ukrainian 93rd Mech Bde operating French MO-120-TR-61 mortars near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A damaged Su-24M that was being operated by Wagner near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Fragments of the shot down Russian Su-24M operated by Wagner. It was shot down near Klescheevka some time ago. Both pilots died.

Wagner using a UAV to spot infantry movement and work in support of sniper fires.

Ukrainian government records being evacuated from Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Wagner forces operating a cargo version of their Chekan armored truck.

Fresh Ukrainian forces heading towards Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian incendiary mortar fires and ATGM fires near Avdeevka.

DNR 1st Slavyanskaya Bde T-64BV fires towards Avdeevka.

Sparta btln quadcopter munition drops near Pervomayskoe continue.

Near Bogoyavlenka, Ugledar area a Russian loitering munition strike on an M-109 howitzer. Note this is the weaker 3kg HE-FRAG warhead, and the vehicle doesn't catch fire. It's unclear how much damage it takes.

Near Bogoyavlenka, Ukrainian Giatsint-B getting hit.

Russian TOS-1 fires in Ugledar.

Ukrainian Grad firing, and then getting hit by presumably a PGM, possibly a Krasnopol'. Ugledar area.

Two Russian T-80BVs knocked out near Ugledar. One has a mine trawl.

Pacific Fleet Coastal Troops Tor-M2 operating near Ugledar.

LNR 2nd MRBde and Prizrak territorial defense btln assaulting through 2 Ukrainian positions, with support from artillery and UAVs.

DNR quadcopter munition drops, exact location unclear.

58th SpN btln ATGM launch against a Ukrainian infantry team and against a van allegedly a transport for a Ukrainian UAV team.

Russian strike hit the town of Pokrovsk west-north-west from Donetsk. Reportedly 6 civilians were wounded.

Ukraine struck Yenakievo with a strike, allegedly HIMARS.

Shelling of Donetsk continues.

A HARM missile was shot down over Makeevka (Donetsk). Alleged video of the moment of intercept in the third link.

Reportedly all destroyed housing in Mariupol' will be demolished by the end of the year.

POWs exchanged from Ukraine returning to Lugansk.

DNR Ministry of Interior soldiers from the Espan'ola btln getting new sniper rifles.

Russia.

Russia is building a new large military hospital in Belgorod. Both in terms of location and purpose, it's clear this is related to the current war.

The Russian government claims that over 60% of those who fled when the mobilization was declared have returned. This of course doesn't answer the question about increased emigration over all which could easily cancel this out.

Misc.

Russian Lancet-3M strike on a Ukrainian M-109. The howitzer catches fire and is presumably destroyed.

Russian Osa SAM trying to hide under a roof, but gets spotted and hit by artillery.

Ukrainian BMP-1 getting hit by something. Location and context unclear.

4 Ukrainian Mi-24s lobbing rockets, location unclear.

Russian Msta-SM fires with Orlan fire correction. This is the most potent artillery combination Russia currently fields and is very much the exception.

Russian Khosta operations in Ukraine. The type is clearly combat capable. Why the program was cancelled remains unclear. For context, two btlns were delivered one to South MD, one to Center MD.

A Russian aerostat being used for reconnaissance brought down by Ukrainian forces.

A Ukrainian T-64BM Bulat damaged by an anti-tank mine. Location unclear.

Ukrainian forces using mortar shells adapted to be fired from an RPG.

Ukrainian anti-Shahed team, with an HMG in a GAZ-66.

A Russian T-72B3mod'22 in Ukraine.

Improvised Rusisan uparmored Ural with a 2S12 Sani mortar in the back. Again the lack of a proper SP mortar is obvious.

Reportedly Russia has begun using upgraded Kh-101 variants with new countermeasures and improved navigation systems.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts continue.

Another prisoner exchange took place, trading 101 for 101.

The World.

Denmark has made the decision to hand over it's 18 Caesar howitzers to Ukraine. These are brand new vehicles that have never served with the Danish armed forces, but there have been technical issues with the adaption of the howitzer to the chassis and installing an autoloader.. Reportedly Ukraine will receive the howitzers within 6 months.

Flights from Tehran to Moscow continue.

A Ukrainian S-300 missile fragment was found in Moldova.

Ukrainian service members training on Patriots in Germany.

New Vampir Grad variants were spotted in Ukraine, these ones with an armored Tatra truck as a chassis.

Vivendi

It seems Germanys budget on "military spending" could be increased from 2.2 Billion Euro to 5.4 Billion Euro. The extra money will be used for buying or backfilling equipment and ammunition for Ukraine. However additional 8.8 billion Euro will be made available over coming years ensuring massive multiyear support for Ukraine. Mattia Nelles on Twitter: "Good news! The government asks MPs for to amend and increase this year’s budget for the military spending for from €2.2 to €5.4 billion. The budget will be used for buying or backfilling weapons or ammunition given to #Ukraine. /1 https://t.co/sEJyw3G3Um" / Twitter

The future does not look very bright for Russia.

swerve

Super Moderator
The World.

Denmark has made the decision to hand over it's 18 Caesar howitzers to Ukraine. These are brand new vehicles that have never served with the Danish armed forces, but there have been technical issues with the adaption of the howitzer to the chassis and installing an autoloader.. Reportedly Ukraine will receive the howitzers within 6 months.
The Danish ones differ from those bought by France in that they're based on a Tatra 8x8, as (unsurprisingly) are those ordered by the Czechs. Presumably the Czechs will make sure theirs work on their Czech-built vehicles. ;)

swerve

Super Moderator
It seems Germanys budget on "military spending" could be increased from 2.2 Billion Euro to 5.4 Billion Euro. The extra money will be used for buying or backfilling equipment and ammunition for Ukraine. However additional 8.8 billion Euro will be made available over coming years ensuring massive multiyear support for Ukraine. Mattia Nelles on Twitter: "Good news! The government asks MPs for to amend and increase this year’s budget for the military spending for from €2.2 to €5.4 billion. The budget will be used for buying or backfilling weapons or ammunition given to #Ukraine. /1 https://t.co/sEJyw3G3Um" / Twitter

The future does not look very bright for Russia.
That's an increase to 5.4 billion in military aid for Ukraine this year, plus 8.8 bn more for following years.

You weren't completely explicit, so I thought it might be worth driving the point home a bit harder. :D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
According to DW, Germany has delivered 18 Leopard II's to Ukraine.

UK MOD documentary on the training of Ukrainian tank crews on the Challenger II

Cappy form Task & Purpose on the fog of war in Ukraine.

An interesting technology development that if successful may have a major impact upon the future battlefield. Being able to manufacture, to order, rocket / missile munitions as and when required, close to the battlefield, will be a game breaker.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Putin is just posturing WRT to his moving tactical nukes to Belarus, according to this interview. TBH Putin's played the nuke threat before.

According to this interview the Ukrainians could place themselves in a position to threaten Crimea. If this is the case then it will be the biggest threat to Putin that he's faced since 1998.

An Ukrainian pilot claims that Ukraine needs to modernise its army.

Ukrainian artillery dealing to Russian tanks in the Luhansk.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Feb 17th-

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Ukrainian FPV drone striking the metal doors of a tunnel where Russian vehicles are hiding. A second FPV drone then strikes the MBT inside.

Russian ATGM strike against an alleged Ukrainian LP/OP across the Dnepr.

Russian D-20s firing, Kherson region.

The West.

A Russian strike hit a civilian apartment building near a military base in Khmel'nitskoe as well as the military base itself (two missiles). The military base in question stored Tu-141/143 UAVs, the very same ones Ukraine has been converting back into cruise missiles.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Ukrainian infantry getting hit allegedly while trying to advance towards Russian positions.

Ukrainian positions getting hit, Zaporozhye area.

Russian quadcopter munition drops, Zaporozhye area.

Russian tank fires, Zaporozhye.

Two destroyed Ukrainian YPR-765s in Zaporozhye area.

Oskol Front.

Ukrainian vehicles getting hit near Svatovo, looking like an M113 to me.

Allegedly a Ukrainian recon element getting hit by Russian artillery.

A destroyed Ukrainian BTR-80 near Kremennaya.

Russian anti-UAV rifles in action near Kremennaya.

LDNR Front.

Wagner fighters in Praskovievka. Again with hindsight this is another step in the northern envelopment of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian artillery fires in Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian casualties, outskirts of Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Warning footage of corpses.

Italian fighters in Artemovsk/Bakhmut, posing with a Republic of Salo flag.

Ukrainian HIMARS launch from a busy road near Kramatorsk full of civilian cars. If any counter-battery strikes arrive they will come to late and kill civilians. Of course Russia has shown a very poor track record in being able to hit tactical targets this deep.

Russian 132nd Motor-Rifles (former DNR) artillery fires north of Avdeevka. with hindsight this paved the way for the current threat to Avdeevka.

Russian T-72B3 mod'16 in Mar'inka.

Ukrainian MBT near Ugledar getting double-tapped by loitering munitions from DNR Kaskad btln.

Russian TOS-1 strikes near Ugledar.

Footage of civilians in Vladimirovka and Blagodatnoe, near Ugledar.

LNR 7th Bde doing quadcopter munition drops.

58th SpN hitting a Ukrainian tank with an ATGM.

Russia.

Russian Kalibr launches out of the Black Sea.

Russian volunteer training in Gudermes, Chechnya.

Russia continues to deploy additional air defenses around Moscow.

Misc.

Russian quadcopter munition drops on Ukrainian infantry in the open.

Russian BMP-1 rolls past a Ukrainian strong point obliviously, taking an RPG hit in the side.

Ukrainian quadcopter munition drops on Russian infantry positions. It appears ammo cooks off.

Ukrainian M113 getting hit, location and context unclear.

Destroyed T-72M1 and AV somewhere in the Donbass. Note the T-72AV must be Russian. The M1 must be Ukrainian.

Russian T-90M knocked out by a Javelin, location and context unclear.

A captured Ukrainian Triton armored car.

Apparently a Ukrainian service member wearing an ISIS patch. Of course it's extremely unlikely that there is any real connection between Ukraine and ISIS, but it speaks volume of the mindset and culture within the Ukrainian armed forces.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts continue.

NATO/EU.

The first Cougar MRAPs have shown up in Ukraine.

French Akreon-MP ATGMs have shown up in Ukraine.

The Netherlands will reportedly finance hundreds of Czech Victor AA machinegun technicals for Ukraine.

AbhiDas94

Ukrainian Army Loads Pakistani Yarmuk missiles into BM-21 Grad MLRS !! #Russia_Ukraine_war

Russia opens up Ukrainian Defenses with Iranian Shahed-136 UAVs...!!!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@AbhiDas94 Two posts merged, one post move to appropriate thread. First off, please ensure that you are either placing all your content within a single post where possible and second make an effort to provide your own commentary among the links you post.

AbhiDas94

@AbhiDas94 Two posts merged, one post move to appropriate thread. First off, please ensure that you are either placing all your content within a single post where possible and second make an effort to provide your own commentary among the links you post.
Okk sir...I'm New to this forum...so I will learn gradually...thank you for helping me...:):)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okk sir...I'm New to this forum...so I will learn gradually...thank you for helping me...:):)
No worries, welcome to DefenceTalk. Please take a look at the forum rules.

Feel free to participate in discussion, and if you like you can introduce yourself in our introductions thread; The new members introduction thread.

Larry_L

The promised armored vehicles are finally starting to arrive in Ukraine. Between Portugal, and Germany, 21 Leo 2A6 tanks have been delivered. Marders from Germany have also shown up. I have not seen Bradleys yet, but the Strykers, and Cougars are at least partially delivered. At least some of the Challengers have been delivered from the UK. The Leopard tanks use 120mm ammunition, further complicating the Ukraine supply chain, while also providing draw from stocks different from the challenged 105, and 155 stocks. The challenger tanks use non NATO standard ammunition, also providing more supply chain issues.

I have seen a few reports of Kaliber missiles being destroyed in northern Crimea. This article by the Jerusalum post states that a wagner affiliated telegram channel has provided some confirmation. At the same time Russia plans doubling precision missile production. This may prove challenging with some of the workforce also needed in the military.

First report of Russia seeing the GLSDB in Ukraine.

Meanwhile Ukraine is creating is "offensive guard", an assortment of assault brigades consisting of newly mobilized, mixed with seasoned troops. The Guard will be under the Interior Ministry. Also we are reminded that this war started 9 years ago. Some cities, such as Marinka have been on the front line for all these years, slowly being pounded into rubble.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Ukraine is creating is "offensive guard", an assortment of assault brigades consisting of newly mobilized, mixed with seasoned troops. The Guard will be under the Interior Ministry.
I heard that they were supposed to be main units in the upcoming Ukrainian offensive, however it appears most of them have already been deployed to Bakhmut. He specifically talks about them around 16 minute mark. Although I do not necessarily agree with everything that is said, he is strongly suggesting that Ukrainian counteroffensive will be at Bakhmut or possibly at Bakhmut and Zaporizhzhia line simultaneously (one being diversionary) which I would agree with.

Apparently the Russians are changing the commander responsible for assault at Vuhledar.

Важные истории

The new commander is going to be Vladimirovich Kuzmenko

It is interesting I heard about dissatisfaction with the commanding officer at Vuhledar some time ago (beginning of March I believe) from a guy that volunteered and fought for the Russians at Kiev and Izium (before Ukrainian offensive). I believe he was wounded and discharged as unfit to serve, but he is still there helping other volunteers. He is definitely pro-Russian but is not afraid to criticize his side and has some interesting insights. I did not post about him before as the channel is in Serbian and I am not sure if there are any subtitles. Here is his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@dejannbericc

vikingatespam

I heard that they were supposed to be main units in the upcoming Ukrainian offensive, however it appears most of them have already been deployed to Bakhmut. He specifically talks about them around 16 minute mark. Although I do not necessarily agree with everything that is said, he is strongly suggesting that Ukrainian counteroffensive will be at Bakhmut or possibly at Bakhmut and Zaporizhzhia line simultaneously (one being diversionary) which I would agree with.
I have to wonder that given the short training cycle and variety of heavy equipment, whether or not the UKR can really train several brigades capable of decent offensive capabilities, especially against prepared defenses.

I sure hope they can, but I fear they cannot.

swerve

Super Moderator
It looks as if crews have been trained for each new system by the donor countries. There could be a lack of transferability, but each weapon type will probably be concentrated in units wholly of that type.

vikingatespam

It looks as if crews have been trained for each new system by the donor countries. There could be a lack of transferability, but each weapon type will probably be concentrated in units wholly of that type.
I would hope so, otherwise you would have a Logistical Nightmare of Biblical Proportions.

Even assuming they have sorted this out, the lack of large numbers of western tanks is still troubling. You have about 2 btl. worth of L2 (some are the light armored A4?) and a Co. worth of C2. Even if the Abrams shows up anytime soon, now you have another armor btl.

Are the PT-91 and T-72M4 comms compatible with the western tanks ?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the PT-91 and T-72M4 comms compatible with the western tanks ?
Almost certainly yes. Interoperability is a big thing in NATO.

I have seen a few reports of Kaliber missiles being destroyed in northern Crimea. This article by the Jerusalum post states that a wagner affiliated telegram channel has provided some confirmation. At the same time Russia plans doubling precision missile production. This may prove challenging with some of the workforce also needed in the military.
I saw photos of the strike location and it was claimed and looked like the Ukrainian strike hit a small shop near the rail station rather then the missiles themselves. Considering the payload of a Kalibr, had they really gotten hit, the damage would be quite significant.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Feb. 18th-19th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russia laying mines from boats along the Dnepr shore.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Russian artillery strikes against alleged Ukrainian positions.

Berdyansk, a children summer camp reportedly being used as a Russian military hospital caught fire. Unclear if a Ukrainian strike.

Reportedly 40 buses of Wagner fighters have arrived in Melitopol'. Reason is unclear at this time. They arrived in civilian vehicles.

Oskol Front.

Russian loitering munition strike against allegedly a Ukrainian M-777 position. Note, the shape and details of the target, along with the lack of a gun crew, make me suspect a decoy.

Russian artillery fires against targets in Gryanikovka village, Kharkov region, recently recaptured by Russian forces.

Russian VDV near Kremennaya is receiving BMP-2Ms. Note, this is a logical step. Not only is BMD-4M production far too slow to satisfy demands, but also the airdrop capability is clearly not needed.

LDNR Front.

Wagner fighters launching two MANPADS allegedly against a Ukrainian Mi-8, downing it.

A Ukrainian 2S1 allegedly captured in Praskovievka.

Assorted footage from inside Praskovievka.

Captured Finnish hand grenades, converted from mortar shells, captured by Wagner fighters in Praskovievka.

Russian airstrikes in Avdeevka.

Sparta btln quadcopter munition drops near Vodyanoe.

Footage of Russian forces and the ruins of Mar'inka as well as overrun Ukrainian positions.

Russian 58th SpN btln launching an ATGM against alleged Ukrainian infantry including a DShK team.

9th Brigade, former DNR 9th Rgt, advancing with support from FPV drones and artillery.

Shelling of Donetsk continues. Reportedly it was a Grad strike.

Russian FSB and LNR security forces in Lugansk region.

Misc.

Russian strikes against a Ukrainian position. Something starts cooking off after the strike.

Allegedly a destroyed T-90M. Footage quality is poor, it could be a T-80BVM or a T-90S, or even a T-72B3 mod'16.

An extremely rare BTR-60KhM Ukrainian (possibly a unique vehicle) somewhere near the front line.

A rare Ukrainian Nona-K firing American M1101 mortar shells.

A Ukrainian BTR-60 with an improvised turret and improvised cage armor.

Russian Primor'ye governor Oleg Kozhemyaka brings anti-drone rifles and other equipment to the front lines.

The World.

8 Avenger M1097 SAMs presumably heading to Ukraine, in Poland.

Reportedly German Patriots have shown up in Zamozc near the Ukrainian border.

Iranian flights to Russia continue.

Two Ukrainian MARS-2 MLRS back in Germany, presumably for maintenance/repairs.