The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your personal opinion what definition would Executive Outcomes fall under : mercenary or a PMO? Their stand is that they're a PMO. In Sierra Leone the played a pivotal role preventing the RUF from taking Freetown [they had a couple of BMPs; Hinds and Hips] and in Angola they seized vital installations from UNITA; in both places they were contracted by governments and engaged in open combat.
I'm not familiar with them, so I can't state. They might well be or have acted as mercenaries.

This is true now that it has started, but it would have more in the wests interests for it not to have started at all. It is certainly in the EU's that Russia does not win it. But this is the case with just about any war that there are non combatants which will either gain or lose depending on the outcome. To class this as a proxy war on those grounds would mean that just about any war could be classed as a proxy war.
No, not just about any. And "proxy war" is relative to the actors at play. For the US this is a proxy war. For Russia not so much. For Ukraine not either. It's more then just non-combatants having a stake, it's the level of support and engagement from these "non-combatants".

Ananda

The Bunker Group
My view is that to label this as a proxy war is an attempt to justify Russian aggression against an other sovereign state.
Why proxy war means justification for Russian agrresion ? Again most proxy war even any war start by agrresion and invasion. Thus it means calling them proxy war give justification ? It is completely unrelated on justification of war with ir is developing as proxy war.

US come to Vietnam as pretext to save South Vietnamese from Communists north and their southern communist allies agreesion that threaten South Vietnam existence as a nation. For South and US it is South Vietnam war of existence agaist North Communists. For USSR and China that actively supporting the North, it is Proxy war against US for their Geopolitical needs. Same thing for US the Vietnam War become proxy war against their needs to stop Global Communists spread from USSR and China.

Same thing in here now. For Ukranian and Russian it is War in the Ground. Ukranian can argue this is their war for existence, Russian can argue the otherwisr. However for Collective West (especially US interest) it is proxy war against Russian containments interest. Thus not means it is justification for Russian invasion as Vietnam war also turn out as proxy war, not related to justifications for the initial agrresion that started it. Both in Vietnam and Ukraine, existance of one nation become 'the price' to be fought on.

So Proxy War does not mean it is a 'less' war for people that involve in the ground. It is a war for those who involved in the ground nonetheless. Proxy war for those who support them with interest to containt the other sides without their own military direct involvement.

In all Proxy War the other sides that doing 'proxy' interest will provide 'advisors' in the ground. This is what USSR done in Vietnam and Korea, US in Afghanistan (with CIA arrange 'advisors') and certaintly with what US and Collective west done in Ukraine. In fact before direct involvement in Vietnam, US already send significant amount of 'advisors' to Vietnam.

Thus being a proxy war has nothing to do on justification of agrresion, as proxy wars thoughout cold war history until now, mostly started by agreesion anyways.

mist

No one is winning, not exactly, I think China could be. The amount of munitions and treasure expended in Ukraine makes a Western response to a Chinese invasion more difficult. Nevertheless the West has no choice, Russian aggression cannot stand.
i think the US is the one winning, the US has finally achieved it's long term goal of cutting Russia off the EU gas market, selling it's gas to EU 4 times the price

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why proxy war means justification for Russian agrresion ? Again most proxy war even any war start by agrresion and invasion. Thus it means calling them proxy war give justification ? It is completely unrelated on justification of war with ir is developing as proxy war.
I said this as this is not a proxy war by definition, as I felt that the term was being miss used.
The reality if this was a proxy war, the supporters of Ukraine would not have restricted the types of weapons that they have supplied to defence weapons. If they had wanted to damage Russia through Ukraine they at least would have supplied longer range weapons that would have allowed Ukraine to respond to the Russian attacks on the Ukrainian infrastructure with a like program.
The suppliers have been careful to limit what they supply just what is needed to defend themselves. No modern western tanks or combat aircraft have been supplied, nor any long range missiles that Ukraine could use to attack Russian infrastructure inside Russia which Russia has done to Ukraine . This not the actions of some one that wants to bring Russia down which would be the case in a proxy war. In reality the suppliers to Ukraine have in effect force Ukraine to defend them selves with a very limited, very local effect weapon selection. To some extent they are being asked to fight with one arm and the other tied behind their back as Russia has been left with the advantage of a relatively safe logistical rear. This clearly not the actions of a proxy, but clearly they are simply supporting Ukraine to maintain their sovereignty.
A proxy would have tried to achieve significant military damage to Russian infrastructure within Russia and particularly their logistical system supplying their army. This is very normal in a conflict to limit your enemies ability to bring his forces to bear on your forces.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A VVS SU25 Frogfoot greasing in a perfect belly landing. Not known where or when this happened or what the cause of the emergency was; war damage or a technical fault. Sure is one tough bird and a well done to the pilot.

France24 TV item on the Russian destruction of Bakhmut. They call it wanton and it maybe so because it serves no tactical advantage. Generally speaking the more a built up area is destroyed, the more cover it provides defenders and the harder it is for attacking forces to move through, especially any form of mechanised forces.

Why is Bakhmut so important to the Russians?
Bakhmut.png
Bakhmut Topograhic.png
Well it's in the Donetsk Oblast and as the top map shows is at the junction of a series of roads. This is important from a logistics POV but from the Russian logistics POV there doesn't appear to be any railway tracks nearby. The next map, a topographic map shows that the city is in a valley with a stream running through that's part of the water shed of the valley and it's slopes. Bakhmut itself is at an elevation of 100m and the high ground is about 300m in elevation. So it's not the flat steppe that's more common to the west and north.
Ukraine-Map-L.jpg
The Donetsk and Luhansk are important in both defensive and offensive operations. because once they are breached they open the way into the rest of Ukraine, or into the Russian Caucuses region. If Kharkiv and Kherson are held by defenders then any attackers coming through the Donetsk - Luhansk corridor can be cut off by the defenders attacking in force from both Kherson and Kharkiv, enveloping them from the flanks. This means that any attacks from the Donetsk - Luhansk corridor will become quite slow resource and manpower sapping operations, and if not handled well a black hole for the attacker. That is why the Russians attacked both cities at the beginning of the war. They failed at Kharkiv but were successful at Kherson. Both the Wehrmacht and the Soviet forces learned this lesson the hard way during WW2.

However it still doesn't explain why the Russians are so determined to take Bakhmut. Generally such a problem could be bypassed and left to wither on the vine like they did at Mariupol and Kherson. Is it because like the French video suggests that Putin badly needs to take a Ukrainian city? Or is it just pure stubbornness? It's not the best place to set up a logistics hub or a strategic base because it's confined. Or is there something there that is highly important to the Russians? To many questions.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
i have read threads on this site for more than 10 years before i decided to register, so i really appreciate the input and knowledge that defence professionals and ex military share on here. i know lots of you on here are not happy with Russia but that's not my problem. am i happy with Russia? NO. am i angry with Russia? NO. why will i be? what they are doing now has been done by others without punishment. am i angry at the west, NO. am wondering why we haven't sent in regular Nato troops to F the Russians up once and for all.. i want to see the show down, there's just too much talk on this topic on lot's of forums.

i read the rules and regulations very well and i have not gone against them, the long term member called me a Russian troll because he didn't like what i posted and like you said, many of you here are not happy with Russia, he called me a Russian troll which am not. the thing is, i don't care about Russia and i don't care about Ukraine, i just follow this war, and i must tell you that am surprised that Russia is still standing.. i thought Russia will be done in a few weeks after all the powerful sanctions start kicking in.

the advantage of being neutral is that you can appreciate any of the parties that do anything spectacular in the military, economical and political sphere while the war grinds on. like the way we think in the west that Russia is losing and their economy is in tatars, military in rags and so on, if you talk to Africans and some in Asia, they will tell you that Russia is strong, Russia alone is fighting half of the world and it's still standing. some of them pray that Putin shouldn't die in his sleep or get assassinated. this war has divided the world some what. to call someone that airs his opinion about a certain event a Russian troll is wrong, personally i think every view matter, if am wrong on something i will be happy to be corrected. nobody knows it all
mist -Permanently banned for trolling.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
reality if this was a proxy war, the supporters of Ukraine would not have restricted the types of weapons that they have supplied to defence weapons
Is US give everything to Mujahadin in Afghanistan ? Is USSR give their long range missiles to North Vietnamese ? Since when Proxy war means the will depend on what type of weapons being supplied by the supporters ? That's abosolutely got nothing to do on conducting Proxy War. They will support whatever they believe appropriate to their interest and enough to support that.

If the west feel their interest is to containt Russia and not to destroy Russia, and what they will supply to Ukraine is what needed to simply tied down Russia. That's seems what the US and West doing.

Again feel free on your believe, but semantic or not proxy war is like that. Something that the suppliers used as part to support of their geopolitical and security interest. This war is War for Ukraine but increasingly already Proxy War for US and Collective west Interest. There's no free lunch in this world. People supply something not just simply without their own interest in behind.

Last edited:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is US give everything to Mujahadin in Afghanistan ? Is USSR give their long range missiles to North Vietnamese ? Since when Proxy war means the will depend on what type of weapons being supplied by the supporters ? That's abosolutely got nothing to do on conducting Proxy War. They will support whatever they believe appropriate to their interest and enough to support that.

If the west feel their interest is to containt Russia and not to destroy Russia, and what they will supply to Ukraine is what needed to simply tied down Russia. That's seems what the US and West doing.

Again feel free on your believe, but semantic or not proxy war is like that. Something that the suppliers used as part to support of their geopolitical and security interest. This war is War for Ukraine but increasingly already Proxy War for US and Collective west Interest. There's no free lunch in this world. People supply something not just simply without their own interest in behind.
I think you need to read all that I have said in regard to whether tis is a proxy war or not and not just pick at pieces. What is happening here is simply support for Ukraine to maintain its sovereignty, nothing more nothing less. As to the type of weapons supplied it is not the weapons them selves that defines this but rather the intent of the suppliers which have made it very clear that this is only for Ukraine to defend it's self. . Your statement about containing Russia is interesting as it does show were the problem is as in this world NO COUNTRY SHOULD TRY TO TAKE ANOTHERS SOVEREIGN TERITORY and every country should contain itself within its recognized boarders irrespective if it is Russia, the USA the UK, China or France or whatever. This also means that the rest of the world has an obligation to assist countries whose boarders are violated by another aggressor. This is my last word on the subject as for now.

Last edited:

vikingatespam

What I was clearly alluding to is this populist narrative we keep hearing for months on end about how bad things are in Russia and how imminent the collapse is. It's a wonder the Ukrainian flag isn't being raised in Vladivostok.
Im not arguing against you, but I was trying to illustrate that we can find common truth with things that are not in contention, even in this zone of high noise-to-signal. While some elements of the MSM and social media might be claiming that RU is about to collapse, I dont think anyone here would think that is the case.

Dear me... Getting a bit too dramatic for my taste. Going to post a link for the Ukrainian national anthem next?
Dramatic ? You havnt seen anything yet:

Dramatic: I heard the new RU Naval anthem is GLUG GLUG GLUG
Dry: 45°10′43.39″N 30°55′30.54″E, -50m

Again, this isnt aimed at you. However, if we can agree of those points I listed, then it would appear that the RU situation is not very good. That doesnt mean they will lose less than the UKR, but if past performance is an indication of future performance, then I wouldnt bet money on RU "winning".

vikingatespam

i think the US is the one winning, the US has finally achieved it's long term goal of cutting Russia off the EU gas market, selling it's gas to EU 4 times the price
Biden approved the Nord Stream2 pipeline. That doesnt seem to agree with a strategy of splitting RU gas from the EU.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, this isnt aimed at you. However, if we can agree of those points I listed, then it would appear that the RU situation is not very good. That doesnt mean they will lose less than the UKR, but if past performance is an indication of future performance, then I wouldnt bet money on RU "winning".
Victory and defeat are ultimately political objectives. Russia can't win not because of poor military performance but because there is no outcome to this war that leaves Russia better off then when it started. This was the case from day 1. Even a steamroll over the Ukrainian armed forces followed by a victory lap around western Ukraine with minimal resistance would still not be a victory because of what would follow. Russia can't win. Regardless of how well or poor Russia performs military, the war itself was the key strategic mistake. Russia can recover from this mistake well or poorly, but either way this war leaves Russia worse off, no matter the outcome.

vikingatespam

Victory and defeat are ultimately political objectives. Russia can't win not because of poor military performance but because there is no outcome to this war that leaves Russia better off then when it started. This was the case from day 1. Even a steamroll over the Ukrainian armed forces followed by a victory lap around western Ukraine with minimal resistance would still not be a victory because of what would follow. Russia can't win. Regardless of how well or poor Russia performs military, the war itself was the key strategic mistake. Russia can recover from this mistake well or poorly, but either way this war leaves Russia worse off, no matter the outcome.
Completely agree. The economic fallout from events so far are going to be with us for some time.

vikingatespam

This article claims a new budget signed by Putin has 30% of Russians entire budget dedicated to defense spending.

Does a RU source indicate the same thing ? If true, a 30% GDP expenditure is staggering.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Completely agree. The economic fallout from events so far are going to be with us for some time.
Economic and political sure. But it's bigger then that. I believe we are heading for another major rearrangement of the international status quo. Economic and demographic realities have shifted pretty drastically in the past ~75 years. In '14 Russia was perfectly positioned to take a bigger role then it got after '91. Russia's economy was doing well, the demographic situation was well in hand, and the modernization efforts of both the first two Putin presidencies and the Medvedev presidency had good effect. Russia was integrating well into the international trade networks, and had a great relationship with the EU despite the Georgian hiccup. Actually the 888 war showed just how much things had changed. Annexing Crimea was bold, though not unproblematic. Stoking the fire in the Donbass and getting involved in that war was a mistake. Recovering from that mistake required finding a solution that wouldn't involve selling the population of the LDNR downriver, but repairing relations with the EU. Invading Ukraine openly was maybe not literally the worst option, but it's certainly a terrible one. Russia has put itself in a terrible position for the rearrangement to come.

This article claims a new budget signed by Putin has 30% of Russians entire budget dedicated to defense spending.

Does a RU source indicate the same thing ? If true, a 30% GDP expenditure is staggering.
Did you just confuse the state budget with the GDP?

vikingatespam

Did you just confuse the state budget with the GDP?
.....oops, yes I did. 30% of the >state budget<

Assuming I am comparing apples to apples, the US spends about 3.5%. The RU increase is massive and must result in impacts to the reset of the economy.

Last edited by a moderator:

STURM

Im not arguing against you, but I was trying to illustrate that we can find common truth with things that are not in contention, even in this zone of high noise-to-signal.
Certain things; namely things you saw fit to mention and which are widely known; were never in contention.

While some elements of the MSM and social media might be claiming that RU is about to collapse, I dont think anyone here would think that is the case.
I merely pointed out that based on all the reports we've been fed with for months; it's a miracle the Russians haven't collapsed already. We've been fed with the same claims over and over again; like watching a performance of circus seals [which I'm extremely fond of] repeating the same acts.

The Russians were close to running out of missiles months and months ago [missiles are still being fired]; the industry for months has apparently been close to collapsing due to sanctions [various things are still being produced]; units are so demoralised it's another miracle we haven't see a repeat of Tannenberg [yet we haven't seen mass surrenders or desertions or units disintegrating], etc.

Dramatic ? You havnt seen anything yet:

Dramatic: I heard the new RU Naval anthem is GLUG GLUG GLUG.
Dry: 45°10′43.39″N 30°55′30.54″E, -50m
Whatever keeps your boat afloat.

However, if we can agree of those points I listed, then it would appear that the RU situation is not very good.
It hasn't been good for months and this is a well known and accepted fact but this really provides us with no firm indication of the end result as the war - despite being 10 months old - may still be in its early days.

That doesnt mean they will lose less than the UKR, but if past performance is an indication of future performance, then I wouldnt bet money on RU "winning".
A Russian defeat might not necessarily equate to a Ukrainian victory. How this war ends when it eventually does may be very different from what many expect or hope.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A VVS SU25 Frogfoot greasing in a perfect belly landing. Not known where or when this happened or what the cause of the emergency was; war damage or a technical fault. Sure is one tough bird and a well done to the pilot.

France24 TV item on the Russian destruction of Bakhmut. They call it wanton and it maybe so because it serves no tactical advantage. Generally speaking the more a built up area is destroyed, the more cover it provides defenders and the harder it is for attacking forces to move through, especially any form of mechanised forces.

Why is Bakhmut so important to the Russians?
View attachment 49944
View attachment 49945
Well it's in the Donetsk Oblast and as the top map shows is at the junction of a series of roads. This is important from a logistics POV but from the Russian logistics POV there doesn't appear to be any railway tracks nearby. The next map, a topographic map shows that the city is in a valley with a stream running through that's part of the water shed of the valley and it's slopes. Bakhmut itself is at an elevation of 100m and the high ground is about 300m in elevation. So it's not the flat steppe that's more common to the west and north.
View attachment 49946
The Donetsk and Luhansk are important in both defensive and offensive operations. because once they are breached they open the way into the rest of Ukraine, or into the Russian Caucuses region. If Kharkiv and Kherson are held by defenders then any attackers coming through the Donetsk - Luhansk corridor can be cut off by the defenders attacking in force from both Kherson and Kharkiv, enveloping them from the flanks. This means that any attacks from the Donetsk - Luhansk corridor will become quite slow resource and manpower sapping operations, and if not handled well a black hole for the attacker. That is why the Russians attacked both cities at the beginning of the war. They failed at Kharkiv but were successful at Kherson. Both the Wehrmacht and the Soviet forces learned this lesson the hard way during WW2.

However it still doesn't explain why the Russians are so determined to take Bakhmut. Generally such a problem could be bypassed and left to wither on the vine like they did at Mariupol and Kherson. Is it because like the French video suggests that Putin badly needs to take a Ukrainian city? Or is it just pure stubbornness? It's not the best place to set up a logistics hub or a strategic base because it's confined. Or is there something there that is highly important to the Russians? To many questions.
I don't think they are. I think Russia is stuck. They recently tried to gain ground everywhere, and had a series of minor successes, but no major ones. The Artemovsk/Bakhmut assault in my opinion is pure inertia, with Wagner playing first fiddle. For Prigozhin this is a chance to prove that his organization is more then just shadow forces for Africa and Syria. But all in all, Russian and LNR forces have been just as persistent in trying to advance on Seversk, just less successful. Truth be told, Wagner has good infantry at the squad-platoon level. They can presumably, with recently gained assets (like IFVs, MBTs, and Arty) launch a btln-level op successfully. However they're strategically impotent. Hence their stubborn, persistent, and relatively (emphasis relatively) success full campaign around Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Note their focus on attrition for Ukrainian forces, rather then any real strategic effort to gain ground or win the war. Their advances are all opportunistic.

EDIT: Ukraine recently blew the bridge north-ward out of Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Russian troops are not advancing on that spot. Some observers have suggested that Ukraine is preparing to abandon the town. There were unconfirmed reports that Ukraine was preparing to do this prior to the Russian withdrawal from Kherson but reconsidered as those troops became available. Subsequently we had news of the Ukrainian 35th MarBde arriving in the area. We also had reports of mass casualties from newly arrived Ukrainian troops due to massive Russian artillery strikes (some reports put Ukrainian casualties at 300-500 a day, WIA and KIA combined of course). There are also reports of Russian infiltrator teams operating all over the city, and rounds impacting on even the western side of town. There is a non-zero chance that this bridge demolition is preparation for a withdrawal afterall. So Prigozhin may get his victory. There were reports of secondary defense lines around Chasoviy Yar, a similarly-sized town almost immediately west of Artemovsk/Bakhmut, so there is far less chance that this retreat will lead to Russia being able to exploit it, unlike a previous stubborn assault at Popasnaya.

Personally, I'm far more interested to see if Russia will try for Ugledar, and if they do, how will it go. Mass use of cluster munitions [tiredly and stupidly I wrote "cluster" but meant "loitering", mass use of loitering munitions in a small area and in support of a specific push rather then sporadically against targets of opportunity is of course the key distinction] paid its dividends at Pavlovka and could provide a successful model for future Russian advances assuming the availability is there, and Russia takes away the lesson.

Last edited:
.....oops, yes I did. 30% of the >state budget<

Assuming I am comparing apples to apples, the US spends about 3.5%. The RU increase is massive and must result in impacts to the reset of the economy.
All good. Russia is purported to be spending 30% of government spending on defence/security/law, or about 6.9% of GDP (all spending including companies and consumers) based on 2021 Nominal
Russia: nominal GDP 2021 | Statista

The US is spending about 10% of government budget on military, or about 3.3% of its GDP (including all companies & consumers)

https://executivegov.com/articles/u-s-defense-budget-2022-how-much-does-the-united-states-spend-on-its-defense-budget
https://www.statista.com/statistics/217581/outlays-for-defense-and-forecast-in-the-us-as-a-percentage-of-the-gdp/

The Russian GDP figures are of course out of date, and a cynical view might say 9 trillion roubles places Russia is closer to 9% or even 10% of GDP - if the worst case reports are to be believed.

Dex

Economic and political sure. But it's bigger then that. I believe we are heading for another major rearrangement of the international status quo. Economic and demographic realities have shifted pretty drastically in the past ~75 years. In '14 Russia was perfectly positioned to take a bigger role then it got after '91. Russia's economy was doing well, the demographic situation was well in hand, and the modernization efforts of both the first two Putin presidencies and the Medvedev presidency had good effect. Russia was integrating well into the international trade networks, and had a great relationship with the EU despite the Georgian hiccup. Actually the 888 war showed just how much things had changed. Annexing Crimea was bold, though not unproblematic. Stoking the fire in the Donbass and getting involved in that war was a mistake. Recovering from that mistake required finding a solution that wouldn't involve selling the population of the LDNR downriver, but repairing relations with the EU. Invading Ukraine openly was maybe not literally the worst option, but it's certainly a terrible one. Russia has put itself in a terrible position for the rearrangement to come.
In hindsight, do you think Russia should have conducted this war back in 2014? It seems like they would have a better shot of winning if they striked in 2014 when Ukraine was weaker. The 2014 war allowed Ukraine time to regroup and prepare for the next war.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In hindsight, do you think Russia should have conducted this war back in 2014? It seems like they would have a better shot of winning if they striked in 2014 when Ukraine was weaker. The 2014 war allowed Ukraine time to regroup and prepare for the next war.
I think Russia shouldn't have struck at all. I think Russia should have continued to invest in internal development, while draining Ukraine's population by being an attractive destination for work migrants. Annexing Crimea makes some political and geo-strategic sense. But even that was a very costly move. Anything more and the cost is prohibitive. The cost of annexing Crimea is probably 100+ bln USD to Russia. And that's one area, with a very friendly population of 2.2 mln. Annexing Lugansk and Donetsk regions would easily cost double to triple that, even if Russia had moved in '14. Add Kharkov? It would cost even more. Kherson and Zaporozhye are non-starters.