The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Oct 24th-28th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

A very strange clip of a Ukrainian MBT with infantry support running into a Russian artillery column of towed guns, somewhere between Nikolaev and Krivoy Rog. Based on the context, I suspect this is footage from the recent retreat by Russian forces where a Ukrainian maneuver element attempted to cut them off. Note the tank manages to stop one truck (you can see it at the end) but it appears that the other truck and MT-LB get past. From the Russian side, it's a pretty spectacular failure when you have guns being towed past tanks. From the Ukrainian side, I don't think this was a prepared ambush, since they didn't manage to engage the vehicles until they were very close, and were actively maneuvering prior to this, not setting up for an ambush. Had they known they were coming, they should have been able to engage them before they were an arms length away.

A collection of allegedly Ukrainian forces getting hit in Kherson region by Russia's 11th VDV Bde. 1st clip reportedly 2 tanks and 4 BMPs destroyed up to 80 casualties, near Potemkino, 2nd clip 2 BMPs near Dobryanka up to 10 casualties, 3 clip a Ukrainian car, up to 3 casualties, 4th clip 3 BMPs up to 30 casualties, 5th clip a Ukrainian car, up to 3 casualties, 6th a Ukrainian platoon position, 2 BMPs up to 30 casualties. Personally I'm very unclear on how they're getting the body count, and they're not setting a minimum, only a maximum. So presumably the first clip involves anywhere between 0 and 80 casualties... quite the spread. Obvious with vehicles getting destroyed, some casualties are expected but the numbers seem to be vague approximations.

Two destroyed Ukrainian BTR-70Ms with cage armor, Kherson region. Note the cage armor looks a lot more professional then most of the up-armoring being done by Russia.

A VAB hit a land mine near Davydov Brod (1st), a Iveco LAV 3 and Husky TSV destroyed in Kherson region (2-3rd).

Destroyed vehicles, allegedly Ukrainian, near Pyatihatka, Kherson region. Two look like BMPs but I can't make out the rest. Note there appears to be an intact Ukrainian tank near the destroyed vehicles. We've seen multiple videos of fresh Ukrainian forces moving past destroyed vehicles from previous failed attacks.

Furiya UAV captured by Russian forces somewhere in Kherson region.

Ukrainian GMLRS strike landing in Novaya Kahovka.

Ukrainian strikes on the Russian crossing next to the Antonov bridge.

Inside Kherson someone attacked a police station, and fired an RPG at it, allegedly in an attempt to gain entrance and steal weapons.

The statue to Potemkim-Tavricheskiy has disappeared from Kherson. It seems Russia is preparing the town for heavy fighting and is trying to evacuate anything of value.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Allegedly a Russian SpN unit dropping bomblets from a quadcopter on Ukrainian trenches, Zaporozhye region.

Russian strikes in Dnepropetrovsk.

Russian strikes in Zaporozhye.

Reportedly a Ukrainian munition storage taken out in Zaporozhye area.

An explosion went off in Melitopol', next to a local TV channel office. Allegedly it was a terrorist attack. The explosion was a VBIED.

The North.

Kiev stands dark as strikes against the powergrid continue.

Electricity rationing is going into effect in Kiev.

Oskol Front.

Allegedly Russian Ka-52s firing on Ukrainian vehicles near Svatovo. This is being reported as another Ukrainian attack attempt across the Zherebets river.

Allegedly a Ukrainian mortar team being taken out with an ATGM. Based on the blast, I'm assuming its an HE-FRAG warhead. Note, while it's unclear how a mortar team would end up on the front line, the presence of thermals makes sense for an SpN element, and the treeline they're firing at is the type of place artillery and mortars like to stage.

Reportedly mobilized personnel have joined an artillery unit operating near Liman. There is some confirmation that parts of the mobilized personnel are being used to fill vacancies in existing units, in my opinion a much better decision then sending entire units of newly mobilized personnel to the front.

The railroad bridge over the Oskol is out of service. The bridge was serviceable until the Russian retreat. It may have been destroyed in the fighting or blown by retreating Russian forces.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
LDNR Front.

Sparta btln dropping munitions on Ukrainian infantry in the tree-line, near Opytnoe. This is allegedly the aftermath of a failed Ukrainian attack.

And Sparta dropping them near Opytnoe, at night.

DNR SpN launching ATGMs at Ukrainian vehicles, at night. We can't see what they're targeting, but they have thermals. The day time aerial shot shows 5 destroyed vehicles.

DNR D-20s firing on Pervomayskoe.

1st Slavyanskaya Bde firing T-64BVs at Avdeevka. Note they're using UAVs to direct tank fires.

Ukrainian casualties after a failed recent attack in Donetsk area. Note, we have a BMP-3 and a XA-180 that hit landmines. We recently had a video where a BMP-3 was leading a column of XA-180s, with an M-113 in the shot, but they looked like they were getting hit by artillery, though admittedly that's not confirmed. Warning footage of corpses.

Ukrainian 26th Arty Bde using PzH-2000s near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Wagner fighters taking Ukrainian POWs after assaulting a strong point near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A fuel train in Shahtersk got hit, presumably a HIMARS strike.

A follow up strike hit Shahtersk the next day.

Battle damage in Artemovsk.

Strikes on Donetsk continue, including using HARM missiles.

Ukrainian Switchblade fragments found in Lugansk.

Damaged Russian vehicles being evacuated back towards Lugansk.

Russian mobilized personnel arriving in Lugansk riding BMP-1s and 2s.

Wagner tankers near Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Note, while the footage isn't very interesting, we haven't really seen Wagner tanks before.

Russia.

Mobilized personnel departing Tatarstan.

There is information that Wagner is looking for S-300 and Pantsyr operators, as well as helo crews and dive-bomber pilots. Presumably they're going to take some Su-25s out of storage.

Vladimir region, Russia, an instructor is using an A-545 assault rifle when training mobilized personnel.

Pskov region, mobilized personnel training.

Mobilized personnel in Kalinigrad firing Khrizantema ATGMs. Note, this is very questionable. The Khrizantema is extremely scarce in Russian service, and production is ~1 btln every 2 years, i.e. a snails pace. Undoubtedly it could be increased, but it's still a very rare system. So what's the training value of practicing on it? Presumably Shturm-S systems are available for mobilized personnel, but even that's no guarantee. They were training on MT-12s in the Far East, so... :(

Misc.

Interesting footage of a Russian Su-35S dropping FAB-250s at low altitude. A questionable use of expensive modern jets against an opponent with plentiful MANPADS.

Russian Su-34 strikes, location and context unclear. Note the low altitude.

Ukrainian BMP-1 getting hit. Allegedly they were trying to do recce by force of Russian positions. Location unclear.

Ukrainian IMR-2 getting hit by Russian LMUR, location unclear, possibly one of the Ingulets crossings.

Russian VDV using Kub loitering munitions somewhere in southern Ukraine (unclear if Zaporozhye or Kherson though the VDV points to the latter).

Russian Wagner forces hitting Ukrainian trenches. Note while we can't be certain, it's likely these are the southern outskirts of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian forces falling back after a failed attack. They comment on a destroyed friendly tank in the first video, and evacuate a wounded in the second. Location unclear.

Russian 2S7 getting hit, location and context unclear.

Either Ukraine downed a Geran' one or two munition, a Shahed-131, or it failed due to technical reasons.

A Russian T-62MV barrel exploded. One of the risks of pulling equipment from storage.

A captured Kozak armored car, allegedly captured recently.

A captured Warmate loitering munition.

Ukraine's 1039th Air Defense Rgt shows off their Gepard. Interesting choice to place AAA into an air defense rgt. Possibly they're being used as companion SHORAD for a SAM.

Russian repair unit working in the field on BMP-2s, Grads, Kamaz armored trucks, and MT-LBs.

Russian General Lapin visits the front line. Note he's looking at the sector of fire for a single machinegun. No doubt this is good use of his time.

Belarus.

High activity from Belarussian army units continues, with Osa-AKM moving around in Bobruysk.

Recent exercises in Belarus have revealed up-armored vehicles. This is a questionable practice in wartime, why they're doing this in peacetime is unclear. The BMP-2 in particular has up-armor kits for it already available, and if they don't like the Russian option, they could certainly design their own, it's not that complicated.

A T-72 in Belarus with a burning container behind it meant to trick a Javelin seeker. It's unclear how effective this would be, but I suspect not very.

Western anti-tank systems being examined during training exercises in Belarus.

NATO/EU.

First sighting (at least to my knowledge) of the Fennek armored vehicle in Ukraine.

Reportedly Germany is handing over (or already has) two more M-270s and 4 more howitzers (presumably PzH-2000).

Oct 28th, NATO recon flights near Ukraine, in the Black Sea. We have an RQ-4, E-3F, and Bombardier Challenger 650.

Sweden is reportedly considering handing over some Archer howitzers to Ukraine.

swerve

Super Moderator
NATO/EU.

First sighting (at least to my knowledge) of the Fennek armored vehicle in Ukraine.

Reportedly Germany is handing over (or already has) two more M-270s and 4 more howitzers (presumably PzH-2000).

Oct 28th, NATO recon flights near Ukraine, in the Black Sea. We have an RQ-4, E-3F, and Bombardier Challenger 650.

Sweden is reportedly considering handing over some Archer howitzers to Ukraine.

I don't know if you spotted it, but it was recently reported that Italy had quietly handed over a few PzH2000s & M270s & 'dozens' of M109L. They didn't announce it at the time. The only Italian artillery I remember being announced at the time it was given was some FH-70s.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if you spotted it, but it was recently reported that Italy had quietly handed over a few PzH2000s & M270s & 'dozens' of M109L. They didn't announce it at the time. The only Italian artillery I remember being announced at the time it was given was some FH-70s.
I didn't spot it but it makes sense. The fight is first and foremost an artillery fight. And high-end western systems, namely the PzH-2000 and Caesar have turned out to be quite effective, and hard to kill (unlike the M-109s, M-777s, and Krabs which Russia has taken out in numbers). Thanks for contributing the information. Please bear in mind I'm ~400 links behind in my updates, so while it doesn't ring a bell, it's plausible this information is buried in there somewhere.

STURM

And high-end western systems, namely the PzH-2000 and Caesar have turned out to be quite effective, and hard to kill (unlike the M-109s, M-777s, and Krabs which Russia has taken out in numbers).
Why are the Krabs and M-109s easier to neutralise compared to PzH-2000s and Caesars?

the concerned

Why do people keep mentioning Western fighter aircraft. Its not going to happen until hostilities end and Ukraine needs to rebuild its forces. At this moment any Western fighter landing at a Ukrainian base will just make it a target. That aircraft will never take off again. Period

vonnoobie

Why do people keep mentioning Western fighter aircraft. Its not going to happen until hostilities end and Ukraine needs to rebuild its forces. At this moment any Western fighter landing at a Ukrainian base will just make it a target. That aircraft will never take off again. Period
If it was that simple then the Ukrainian airforce would already cease to exist.

People are going on about them because I imagine we don't really know how long the fighting will go on, and while work has taken place to integrate western weapons into the existing Ukranian aircraft it would be a far easier time getting those weapons in use by Ukraine with aircraft they have already been integrated with. That means a far larger pool of munitions that could potentially be offered to Ukraine from stand off missiles to glide bombs. It also allows them potentially aircraft with superior systems then their existing aircraft not to mention a more secure sustain system, Quite frankly no one expected Ukraine to have done as well as they have or on the other hand Russia to have performed as poorly as they have. This conflict is still any ones game and waiting till its done wont help Ukraine.

STURM

If this report is accurate Russia flew a large amount of cash; a Stinger, Javelin and NLAW to Iran in return for more Shaheds.

Interesting podcast with Michael Kofman talking about his recent trip to the Ukraine [the conversation was recorded whilst in a car to Krakow airport]. He points out that although many have mocked Russia's mobilisation efforts it's something the Ukrainians take very seriously. Something he mentions is the possibility of the Russians locally producing Shaheds.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why are the Krabs and M-109s easier to neutralise compared to PzH-2000s and Caesars?
Unclear but we have much footage of them getting hit and absolutely 0 of the latter two.

They are more numerous.
I don't think this is it. Ukraine has ~40% as many PzH-2000s as Krabs. So we should see some footage of them getting hit. Instead we have 0.

Perhaps shorter range, lower rate of fire, & slower to shoot & scoot.
I suspect the range is the biggest issue but it's honestly just a guess. We have plenty of footage of M-109s and Krabs getting hit by loitering munitions. If you have to be closer to the front you're likelier to get found by the primary type of recon asset being used; a small UAV. If you can hide farther like a HIMARS you're a lot harder to find.

Perhaps shorter range, lower rate of fire, & slower to shoot & scoot.
I suspect the range is the biggest issue. We have plenty of footage of M-109s and Krabs getting hit by loitering munitions. If you have to be closer to the front you're likelier to get found by the primary type of recon asset being used; a small UAV. If you can hide farther like a HIMARS you're a lot hjar

If this report is accurate Russia flew a large amount of cash; a Stinger, Javelin and NLAW to Iran in return for more Shaheds.

Interesting podcast with Michael Kofman talking about his recent trip to the Ukraine [the conversation was recorded whilst in a car to Krakow airport]. He points out that although many have mocked Russia's mobilisation efforts it's something the Ukrainians take very seriously. Something he mentions is the possibility of the Russians locally producing Shaheds.

It certainly makes sense. If I was Russia, I'd be providing samples of advanced western weapons to anyone willing to offer something of value in exchange. Russia is in a tight spot. From a western perspective, I would assume Javelins, NLAWs, and Stingers, will all be provided to Iran, China, and literally anyone else who has an interest and is willing to provide support for Russia's war effort. If the rumors of DPRK artillery shells are true, they might end up with samples as well.

EDIT: Russia is withdrawing from Kherson.

Last edited:

Musashi_kenshin

Willing to believe the cash, on the rest I'd want more than an anonymous source that seems to be exclusive to Sky News. I'm sure Russia could be willing to sell information its gleaned from the war, but I won't assume it has and is handing over intact versions of all the arms supplied to Ukraine just for a handful of arms shipments. More likely if anything to be things like discarded NLAW tubes.

And even if it did get some unfired munitions, Ukraine has verifiably captured large amounts of Russian equipment, some of it far more interesting to NATO than ATGMs and MANPADS.

As for withdrawing from Kherson, another disaster for Russia. They didn't even try to hold the city and put Ukrainian forces through a meat-grinder ahead of winter setting in. Where do they draw the line - Lysychansk? Luhansk?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Willing to believe the cash, on the rest I'd want more than an anonymous source that seems to be exclusive to Sky News. I'm sure Russia could be willing to sell information its gleaned from the war, but I won't assume it has and is handing over intact versions of all the arms supplied to Ukraine just for a handful of arms shipments. More likely if anything to be things like discarded NLAW tubes.

And even if it did get some unfired munitions, Ukraine has verifiably captured large amounts of Russian equipment, some of it far more interesting to NATO than ATGMs and MANPADS.

As for withdrawing from Kherson, another disaster for Russia. They didn't even try to hold the city and put Ukrainian forces through a meat-grinder ahead of winter setting in. Where do they draw the line - Lysychansk? Luhansk?
Good question, I suspect the line is military necessity. They could put Ukraine through a meatgrinder battle, but the question becomes, how to withdraw once the desired effect has been accomplished? I suspect the defense of right-coast Kherson region was the meat grinder, and Ukraine certainly took plenty of casualties. I also suspect the inability to supply large forces there is the real problem.

CJR

... the M-109s, M-777s, and Krabs which Russia has taken out in numbers...
M-777s have taken 16 confirmed losses, TBH we already knew towed artillery was vulnerable, while M-109s and Krabs are at two each (all numbers per Oryx), so I don't think there's enough data to compare their effectiveness with the Cesars and PzH-2000s.

T.C.P

Great Tank on Tank video. A Russian T-71B3 taking out a Ukrainian possibly T-71M1

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yqbm2i
This one is the best close range tank on tank kill I have seen yet. A lone Ukr tank getting ambushed at very close range.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/ynt0k9
These next 2 videos are amazing. The first is a drone footage of 2 Ukr Humvoes ging on a raid, when one of them hits a pretty strong mine and gets seemingly obliterated. Most of the crew survive and you can seee the second HM coming back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yqr6ng
This second one is one of the best POVs I have seen so far, its from the turret of the hit HM

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/yqz3hv
The soldiers dont panic, remain calm and the second vehicle does not abandon the first. A great testament to the training, expereince and morale of these soldiers.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
M-777s have taken 16 confirmed losses, TBH we already knew towed artillery was vulnerable, while M-109s and Krabs are at two each (all numbers per Oryx), so I don't think there's enough data to compare their effectiveness with the Cesars and PzH-2000s.
His numbers on destroyed western equipment in Ukraine are woefully incomplete. I've posted more then that here. Here's a quick look at some data;

STURM

And even if it did get some unfired munitions, Ukraine has verifiably captured large amounts of Russian equipment, some of it far more interesting to NATO than ATGMs and MANPADS
We know for a fact that they have captured various bits of Ukrainian kit and it's not inconceivable that some may have been provided to the Iranians in order for the Iranians to have a close look and perhaps try to reverse engineer or copy the stuff.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Great Tank on Tank video. A Russian T-71B3 taking out a Ukrainian possibly T-71M1
I am some what skeptical of the video's that have a single tank on tank engagement. Are they for real or are they simply acted out scenario's for propaganda purposes. I find it unlikely that a couple of separate tanks would be wandering around a battlefield all alone without some form of support. The simple question is 'why would you' what would you hope to achieve.

Last edited:

STURM

Are they for real or are they simply acted out scenario's for propaganda purposes
That's a question I had with the other videos. Something doesn't look right with the ones of the gun boat and Buk getting hit.

Does this look real to you?

1668051057632.png