The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor hello, can you please tell why in your bulletins 95% of the channels are strictly pro-Russian telegrams? To read it that way, only Ukrainian equipment is destroyed.
(this is not a complaint).
I think there is a deficit of information from the Russia side that is largely the fault of Russia's own government whose information campaign has been... non-existent? I don't know how else to describe the sad briefings they put out with minimal information and minimal coverage. There are good sources on the Russia side, including people who are moving with rebel units through the war zone, but they are on social media and there is a language barrier. There is also a significant bias, and claims are often made that are not corroborated by the material presented. I try to bridge these two gaps and present these sources 1) in English, making them more accessible, and 2) by filtering to what is either strictly factual or very close to it. When presenting claims I make sure to present them as claims. If I have a personal opinion or stance on the claim being made I include that as well (so if I find a particular claim questionable I will say so and why).

As for destroyed Russian equipment, we have an excellent source for destroyed Russian equipment in Oryx Blog.

Regarding the investigation of the strike on Kramatorsk by serial numbers - schizophrenia, which is spreading in Z groups. ( at first they appealed to what direction the tail part fell from, but from the video from Berdyansk it became clear that the tail part is significantly twisted and it is impossible to determine the direction of impact. Now the serial numbers are taken)

Moreover, these missiles and all the serial numbers were manufactured by the Soviet Union at the Bryansk factory, and if the AFU had them, then Moscow should certainly have Soviet documents that they were transferred to the Ukrainian armament back during the Soviet era. But there is no such information. Strange again, isn't it?
For the direction of strike, I can't speak to it. Like I said, if the location of tail part falling is indicative that suggests a launch direction. If not, then not. I was hoping someone with more knowledge on SRBMs might be on here and can jump in.

For the serial numbers and documents, yes. You would think they do. However it presumes accurate record keeping in the '80s era Soviet Army, and it presumes those records survived intact. Hell, considering the inept nature of Russia's information presentation, I allow for the possibility that Russia has documents proving that the missile in question was in Ukrainian hands at the fall of the Soviet Union and has simply failed to produce them because nobody has put it together. We will have to wait and see. I actually spent some time trying to find other series numbers for Tochka missiles, to see what they looked like for comparison, but wasn't able to. If we can see the series numbers for missiles being used by Ukraine follow one pattern, but say Russian Tochkas fired in Chechnya or Georgia have another, that would at least provide some context.

There was also a launch from Russian-controlled Shakhtarsk. Everything was blamed on the work of the air defense, but again, this is a sofa opinion, where is the official investigation?
There was an explosion in Kramatorsk right after the work of the air defense system, again, strange.
So far I don't have evidence that this launch took place, only uncorroborated claims. Do you happen to have any footage? Launches get video taped pretty frequently, so I'm still hoping it turns up.

The Russian Defense Ministry also points to the southwest direction of the arrival, claiming that the launch came from Ukraine-controlled Dobropillya. However, there are positions of Russian and "separatist" forces in the south-south-west direction (for example, south of Ugledar and near Velyka Novoselka) within the range of the Tochka-U missile (120 km), which means that the launch could well have taken place from there.
I actually haven't reviewed Russian MoD statement, I usually ignore their meager attempts at information coverage this war because they are so unhelpful. I just spent some time poking around with a map tool and you're correct. Those two locations are within the range of a Tochka-U strike, Ugledar being a bit closer, and Velikaya Novoselka being close to the range limit.

I also do not deny that it could have been Ukrainian-controlled forces, because a couple of days earlier, Zelensky had authorized the use of such systems for the territorial defense of Ukraine. Therefore, they could have easily used them on civilians due to inexperience or on other purpose. It should be a normal investigation, not guessing by serial numbers (Yes, and 15 numbers difference is not small, there could be different batches.)
Tail fragment location and serial numbers is about all we have to go on at this time. I'm happy to have someone provide more materials and information. Again I think it's plausible that Russia fired an old Tochka missile in an attempt to hit a piece of railroad infrastructure, missed, and hit a crowd of civilians. I also think it's plausible the launch was not by Russia. Moving a Tochka unit from Belarus all the way to Ugledar without anyone else spotting it, is a bit of a long shot, in my opinion. We've seen very little of this Russian Tochka unit until just now. I'm curious whether it's because this unit is being hidden (but if so, why was it being transported without so much as a tarp through Belarus?) or it's because the unit hasn't really seen much action.

EDIT: Found it. Footage of a launch out of Shahtersk, it was among the materials I hadn't dug through yet. We can see two launches, and it's claimed as an air defense launch. However there's no sign of the missile maneuvering, just a launch upward. Well two launches to be exact...

Last edited:
Very interesting interview in an Spanish newspaper (pretty mainstream, socially conservative and economically liberal bias). They talked with an ex-Spanish sniper that is now fighting in Ukraine: Un francotirador español en Kiev: «Mis opciones de salir vivo de aquí son del 50%» (larazon.es)

Some translated extracts:

In addition to the harshness of a conflict in which "everyone acts in an inhuman way with civilians involved", this elite shooter from Madrid has been surprised by the presence in kyiv of so many private security agencies. “I have not seen armed civilian militias here. What there are here are military companies from many countries, including Ukraine. A commander interviews you, they get to know you, they take pictures of you. Analyze all that you are and where you have been. They are Poles, Swedes, Danes and, above all, Americans. They put together teams of six people and, if you are the missing card in the deck, they hire you. I understand that Zelensky's number four is the one in charge of coordinating operations with the commanders, who are mostly Americans. They are the ones who move the roost ».
«You don't arrive, they give you a weapon and you start shooting. It's false. You have to have contacts with someone from the Army base. If you don't speak English, for example, they take you directly to the border. The Foreign Legion that I have seen is in Yavoriv, on the border with Poland. They do not have weapons, nor do they wear uniforms. If they arrive in military clothing, they provide them with another. What they are doing is learning Ukrainian so they can communicate with the population if they attack that area. They are like a humanitarian aid made up of ex-soldiers from many countries.”
He does not want to say the name of his employer, nor the salary that is paid into a Ukrainian account every fifteen days. He specifies that the figure depends greatly on the qualification and the task, «a paramedic is not paid the same as a sniper. Or to a drone pilot than to a scavenger or an artificer ». Then there are the “pluses”. "In my case, it's $300 per man killed."
The next mission for which they have just hired him will be a “black op”, an operation without a flag that he will carry out together with three colleagues with a US command. If they are caught, no one will take notice. “It is a mission that is done under the radar. Let's just say that, officially, it doesn't exist. I still don't know when it will take place."
He is sure that massacres like Bucha's are the work of Chechen mercenaries: «I have seen the occasional corpse left behind by the troops, but I can assure you that it is not the Russians. They are the Chechens, an elite group working for Moscow. It's scary even to see them physically. Russian soldiers are children, they do not have that evil or that level of violence and cruelty. Most are doing military service. I can tell you that they have knelt in front of me, asking me to please not shoot them, crying. A soldier crying. The Russians have not done that.

STURM

Interesting podcast.

-.Mention is made of a video showing Ukranians shooting Russian prisoners [might have been revenge for Bucha]. Al Jazeera reported this a few days ago but I have no idea if other networks did.
- A Brit journalist describes what she saw in Ukranian villages that were recaptured. She spoke to a few villagers; one recounted how she went back to.her home to get some food. She encountered a group of Russians digging a hole in her garden who told her that they been ordered to shoot villagers and to bury them. A Ukrainian attack managed contrive the Russians off in time.
- An ex Brit army tanker describes a tank engagement which was seen by a UAS [the video is in the Telegraph' site]. A lone Ukranian T-64 [tge footage only.shows a lone tank but there could have been other Ukrainians involved] engages a Russian armoured column. The first shot misses and from the explosion we know it was a HE round. Eventually the T-64 is targeted by dismounted Rusian troops whose ATGW misses and the video ends. The speaker describes in details what happens when a sabot penetrates a turret.

Jaykaro

For the direction of strike, I can't speak to it. Like I said, if the location of tail part falling is indicative that suggests a launch direction. If not, then not. I was hoping someone with more knowledge on SRBMs might be on here and can jump in.
Point-U in Berdyansk, what I meant about the tail part, if you look closely, you can see its rotation. Sometimes the engine compartment ends up in the impact circle, sometimes it flies off in a completely different direction
Moscow calling
(i hope this link looks like a post, if no sorry)
Also i have found information about tochka-u
Note that the engine compartment, separated at an altitude of 2.2 km, fell 400 meters west of the center of the impact area. And the missile was flying from north to south. That is, the bay went to the right in the firing direction. Was this due to accidental factors, or is this deviation characteristic of all missiles? The question hangs in the air.
Tail fragment location and serial numbers is about all we have to go on at this time.
Also with regard to serial numbers and documentation of the USSR, without this information will not be able to determine accurately. The difference in the series is significant, okey when it differs by 1. Here's an example in the city Snejnyi 2014 . Serial number ВГ 910840
Another video at Idlib in 2018
Serial Number ВГ 910865.

In 2017, the following information appeared in the media: "The Russian military handed over 50 Tochka-U ballistic missiles to Syria."
Naturally, the Russian Ministry of Defense denied these deliveries
As we know -no smoke without fire.

So I think without official documentation is impossible to figure out.
Well, or we need information from Shakhtersk, if two rockets launched, it is necessary to find the second

____
EDT: UAV Orlan looks hightech

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Statement of the AZOV deputy commander in Mariupol

It looks like they start to realise they have been left to die heroically there. I wouldn't be surprised if Russians would make a cynical offer in exchange for a clean surrender. After all, they would need someone to run Eastern Ukraine should Russia succeed in capturing larger areas than they could manage.
You don't really think these fighters will agree to run Eastern Ukraine for Russia? Or that Russia, after demonizing Azov, would be able to put them in charge? I'm sure there's a deal to be made, but the deal will probably be more of their lives in exchange for surrender. During the '14-'15 campaign rebel forces made a practice of executing captured right wing volunteer fighters from units like Aydar, Azov, Right Sector. I suspect this is still the case.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Around Kiev.

Pole taping in Borodyanka.

The North.

Destroyed Ukrainian T-64BV in Chernigov. Note, this is probably old, as Russian forces have withdrawn from the area. It's also possible Russia is continuing air strikes in the area, even after ground forces have withdrawn.

Another T-64BV destroyed, also allegedly Chernigov area. Timeline and context are unclear.

Kharkov-Sumy.

Allegedly a Russian SpN raid in Kharkov area captured weapons.

Territorial defense fighters in Kharkov learning to use their new rocket launchers.

The 110th tank repair factory in Kharkov, 10 tanks loaded onto platforms. There are reports that the tanks were damaged in recent shelling.

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Tochka missile fragment, outskirts of Kherson. Context unclear.

Russian security forces have taken a number of assault rifles from a territorial defense company on Kherson. They were allegedly planning attacks on Russian forces.

Russian National Guard in Novaya Kahovka.

A Bayraktar TB2 command vehicle in Odessa.

A very small pro-Russian demonstration in Novaya Kahovka. This is an inevitable counter-PR move, and Russia will likely continue to try to build a picture of local support. It's important to pay attention to the geography and the scale

The Izyum Salient.

Russian artillery firing south of Izyum, village Dolgon'koe. This is near the border of Kharkov and Donetsk regions.

Russian ATGMs firing, south of Izyum. The Shturm-S video is the same one from before.

Russian tanks firing, on the Slavyansk axis, presumably out of that same Izyum salient.

The aftermath of the fighting in Kamenka. This is likely where the T-72B1 was captured.

Russian forces captured a mined bridge in tact south of Izyum.

More weapons captured in Izyum.

LDNR Front.

Fighting near Verhnetoretskoe, allegedly a rebel MBT firing. This is north of Yasinovataya.

Destroyed Ukrainian trucks and BRDM-2 in Zachatovka village, DNR area.

Smoke rising over Rubezhnoe, after allegedly Ukrainian shelling. Note the town is in rebel hands.

Explosion in Rubezhnoe, brown-orange smoke rising, likely same incident as before.

Fires burn in Lisichansk.

Battle damage in Yasinovataya, DNR area. Presumably Ukrainian shelling.

Footage of the 29th Checkpoint, LNR area, recently taken by the rebels. Warning footage of corpses in the second link.

Mine clearing in DNR controlled areas.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mariupol'.

Russian Marines, BTR-82A firing in Mariupol'.

Rebel tank hit an anti-tank mine, and is repairing their vehicle.

Russian BMP-3 and MT-LB with ZU-23-2s supporting infantry in the assault on the Il'yich metallurgical plant.

Ukrainian forces apparently tried to exit Mariupol' in a BMP-2 with Z markings but were stopped. I suspect the vehicle is a real rebel BMP-2, because it's labeled with the 2nd Co, 4th Btln, 107th rgt, and the 107th Rgt is a real rebel formation used in Mariupol'.

Heavily edited aerial footage of Mariupol'. You can see some sporadic fighting, and the scope and scale of the damage to the city.

Battle damage, Mariupol'.

Rebel forces control the Mariupol' sea port. 60 civilian sailors were still trapped in the port.

DNR reservists in Mariupol'.

Russian and rebel forces, Mariupol'.

Rebel forces evacuating civilians using a BRM-1K.

Survivors being pulled out through a hole in the basement, Mariupol' by Chechen fighters.

Testimony of two Ukrainian fighters that they executed civilians. In one case because the woman refused to follow instruction and exit her apartment, in another case because the civilian didn't know the meaning of the Ukrainian word palyanitsa (it means bread). Note this testimony is highly suspect and requires a lot of further corroboration.

Civilian tells a story of her youngest son dying in her arms, killed by an artillery shell.

Civilian sailors exiting the port of Mariupol', allegedly including westerners.

The West.

A Ukrainian train carrying Msta-B and Giatsint-B howitzers. Based on the paint job, these are likely from storage.

Misc.

Russian UCAV strikes. Location and context unclear. I suspect these are from Mariupol', especially the second one.

Russian Ka-52 striking targets in Ukraine.

Russian FAC, possible Mariupol'.

Ukrainian MANPADS operator fires on a Russian helo, location unclear.

Ukrainian troops using either the British Starstreak or the LMM Martlet. Reportedly the target was an Orlan-10 UAV.

Ukrainian tracked minelayer captured, location and context unclear.

Destroyed Osa SAM, two GAZ-66s, and a BRDM-2. They're possibly Ukrainian, however that BRDM-2 in the back bothers me. It doesn't look right, resembling almost the Belorussian BRDM-2 upgrade called Kayman.

Destroyed KrAZ fuel truck, presumably Ukrainian. Location and context unclear.

Destroyed Ukrainian BTR-3, location and context unclear.

Russian trucks, uparmored haphazardly. Some intact, some abandoned, some destroyed.

Russian BTR-80s rolling around somewhere inside Russia, carrying a Russian flag and a Soviet flag. Russian military use of Soviet flags in this conflict is interesting. It highlights the attempts to play on Soviet nostalgia and reference to a shared past, while being utterly devoid of the meaning it originally carried. Based on their use in Ukraine an this being two BTR-80s, my best guess is that this is a National Guard unit that either came from Ukraine or is heading there. It might even be getting relocated from Kiev to LDNR areas.

A Russian T-90A abandoned due to a technical malfunction will potentially be used by Ukrainian forces. You know, instead of getting evacuated by an ARV like it should have been... :rolleyes:

Ukrainian T-64BV, uparmored, location unclear.

Ukrainian forces posing with Perun, Igla, and Stinger MANPADS. Location unclear.

Assorted footage.

Ukrainian civilians yelling at Ukrainian soldiers for putting landmines in their neighborhood, citing that children play there. They repeatedly tell Ukrainian soldiers to go home, suggesting that this is somewhere in the east. Location unclear.

Pole taping and beating, location and context unclear.

NATO/EU.

Slovak SP howitzers were spotted near the Russian and Belarussia borders in Latvia. There has been speculation that the systems might get handed over to Ukraine, but the geography doesn't make sense.

QEDdeq

You don't really think these fighters will agree to run Eastern Ukraine for Russia? Or that Russia, after demonizing Azov, would be able to put them in charge? I'm sure there's a deal to be made, but the deal will probably be more of their lives in exchange for surrender. During the '14-'15 campaign rebel forces made a practice of executing captured right wing volunteer fighters from units like Aydar, Azov, Right Sector. I suspect this is still the case.
I don't know, most of them seem young and idealistic, after going through what they are going through now they will come out 20 years older, psychologically speaking. I also think most of them are not nazis in the real meaning of the word despite the Russians portraying them as such, but rather nationalists. Maybe only a minority - those coming from Right Sector and other fringe nazi organisations existing prior to 2014 are indeed nazis. But those who joined from 2014 onwards are probably mainly nationalists, patriots and such. I also understood from various sources that many in Azov are from Eastern Ukraine and Russian speaking. I wouldn't exclude that some of them would seek a different meaning and purpose after captivity, there are parallels in history, especially if they are left with a feeling of betrayal and abandonment from the current leadership in Kiev and if they will be treated humanely as PoW's.

Big_Zucchini

Regardless, the war only legitimizes Azov. Instead of letting Ukraine evolve enough to crack down on them without repercussions, Russia turned Azov into some of this war's most notable heroes. Now this myth of a purely Nazi Azov is shattered - it already attracts regular people who wish to take up arms.

Moroz.ru

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Russian BTR-80s rolling around somewhere inside Russia, carrying a Russian flag and a Soviet flag. Russian military use of Soviet flags in this conflict is interesting. It highlights the attempts to play on Soviet nostalgia and reference to a shared past, while being utterly devoid of the meaning it originally carried.
It isn't the state flag of the USSR.
It's Victory banner raised by the Red Army soldiers on the Reichstag building in Berlin on 1 May 1945

Sometimes solders haven't got right replyca and use simple red flag meaning Victory one.

Capt. Ironpants

Statement of the AZOV deputy commander in Mariupol

It looks like they start to realise they have been left to die heroically there. I wouldn't be surprised if Russians would make a cynical offer in exchange for a clean surrender. After all, they would need someone to run Eastern Ukraine should Russia succeed in capturing larger areas than they could manage.
Those guys are doomed. Such is the fate of useful idiots who get too big for their britches. The speech may inspire Rhett Butler types to join up, though. ("Maybe it's because I've always had a weakness for lost causes once they're really lost. Or maybe... Maybe I'm ashamed of myself. Who knows?")

If the Ukrainian helicopters sent into Mariupol were indeed tasked with rescuing them, then the Ukrainian leadership can say they tried. Then there is the curious case of the Ukrainian-owned Maltese-flagged cargo ship Apache the Russians claim to have captured en route to rescue them. We don't know for certain what the choppers were tasked to acconplish, nor do we know anything about the Apache and its mission other than what the Russians choose to tell us.
---
And now for something completely different. This is five days old now, but I had not seen it before. Not sure what to make of it.
Mod edit: Link with obviously wrong data on the war in Ukraine deleted — any future posts by new members or illogical partisan supporters of either side, that uses deliberately wrong data will result in a 7 day ban. No need to promote just any idiotic institute who uses unpaid, untrained interns to gather garbage-in, garbage-out, data.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.C.P

---
And now for something completely different. This is five days old now, but I had not seen it before. Not sure what to make of it.

Mod edit: Link with obviously wrong data on the war in Ukraine deleted — any future posts by new members or illogical partisan supporters of either side, that uses deliberately wrong data will result in a 7 day ban. No need to promote just any idiotic institute who uses unpaid, untrained interns to gather garbage-in, garbage-out, data.
It says the UA lost 398 UAVS. Did they have that many? This figure is surely including all the imrpovised quad copters, because there is no way UA had that many TB-2s or other similar large sophisticated UAVs.

Capt. Ironpants

It says the UA lost 398 UAVS. Did they have that many? This figure is surely including all the imrpovised quad copters, because there is no way UA had that many TB-2s or other similar large sophisticated UAVs.
For all I know, they're counting every remote-controlled toy helicopter every kid got for Christmas and crashed. I was surprised to see this posted by this source, as CNN and CNBC are very much pro-Ukraine and you'd think from some of their segments the Ukrainians have beaten the Russians back to the border. It's all a puzzle to me, so I posted here for you professionals to have a go at.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

My first thought which immediately came to mind is GiGo. Absent further or additional information, the numbers listed are IMO rather meaningless since we cannot tell whether or not any or all of them are accurate, and the list of information sources has two which are immediately suspect.

Further, when one looks at the pre-conflict vs. current losses for Ukraine, the chart does show that two categories have losses significantly in excess of the pre-conflict inventory. While it might be possible that Ukraine were able to add/replace lost inventory during the conflict, the numbers listed make me question the accuracy of the data, i.e. the pre-conflict inventory was wrong/lower than actually the case, and/or the claimed number losses might be higher than actually the case.

As for the pre-conflict numbers listed for the Russians, I strongly suspect that those numbers listed include all kit which Russia and before that the Soviet Union had brought into inventory, including tanks, APC's and IFV's which have essentially been parked and mothballed. This is important because a tank which has been parked, mothballed and put into reserves is not a tank which is immediately available for issue as a replacement for a damaged or destroyed tank. In effect, if the Russian list includes vehicles which have been put into reserve then the list makes it appear as though Russia has a significantly greater number of vehicles and systems which are combat ready. Related to that, it also makes me wonder whether or not the kit list for Ukraine includes kit parked in reserve. If not, then the list is comparing dissimilar data which is already questionable.

Lastly, the last two sources mentioned are the Ukraine and Russian MoD. I would not trust anything from either source without independent verification, and without some sort of list of who provided what set of data, the entire set of data would need to be verified.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first thought which immediately came to mind is GiGo. Absent further or additional information, the numbers listed are IMO rather meaningless since we cannot tell whether or not any or all of them are accurate, and the list of information sources has two which are immediately suspect.

Further, when one looks at the pre-conflict vs. current losses for Ukraine, the chart does show that two categories have losses significantly in excess of the pre-conflict inventory. While it might be possible that Ukraine were able to add/replace lost inventory during the conflict, the numbers listed make me question the accuracy of the data, i.e. the pre-conflict inventory was wrong/lower than actually the case, and/or the claimed number losses might be higher than actually the case.

As for the pre-conflict numbers listed for the Russians, I strongly suspect that those numbers listed include all kit which Russia and before that the Soviet Union had brought into inventory, including tanks, APC's and IFV's which have essentially been parked and mothballed. This is important because a tank which has been parked, mothballed and put into reserves is not a tank which is immediately available for issue as a replacement for a damaged or destroyed tank. In effect, if the Russian list includes vehicles which have been put into reserve then the list makes it appear as though Russia has a significantly greater number of vehicles and systems which are combat ready. Related to that, it also makes me wonder whether or not the kit list for Ukraine includes kit parked in reserve. If not, then the list is comparing dissimilar data which is already questionable.

Lastly, the last two sources mentioned are the Ukraine and Russian MoD. I would not trust anything from either source without independent verification, and without some sort of list of who provided what set of data, the entire set of data would need to be verified.
Some of the numbers for total kit on the Ukrainian side are less than reliable too. 2000+ tanks of which 1900+ have been lost? I suspect they took figures off of something like Military Balance, subtracted claimed kills by both sides, and published the results. I would ignore lists like this.

Capt. Ironpants

@Todjaeger and @Feanor : Thanks, guys. It looked squirrelly to me, but what do I know? I wondered why this guy would choose to post it, too. Perhaps he thought it would stiffen support for sending more arms to Ukraine?

Meanwhile, tanks for US troops in Eastern Europe are rolling in. I thought it was interesting they are testing how fast equipment can be moved as part of the exercise:

Of course I'm sure this does have to do with heightened US military presence in Eastern Europe in response to the war in Ukraine. It will be interesting to see how far this goes.